Think you have privacy in your cabin? - THINK AGAIN

TheSavvyTraveler

Agree completely!! We always try to remember to put the privacy card in place each time we enter our cabin. Our first Princess cruise we did not realize this and our cabin steward came in with the ice bucket after a cursory knock and that's when he told us how to avoid embaressment for us and him!!! Never had a problem since and with our 23rd cruise coming up that's pretty good!!

Works well for us as well.:D

This seems like such an easy fix to me.

Ever notice when you go into the restrooms if someone has the door locked in a stall there is a red indicator that shows through an opening by the handle. If the stall is unoccupied (unlocked) a green indicator shows in the little window. How hard would it be to have these kind of indicators on the cabin doors? If the deadbolt is engaged a red indicator would show, then the cabin steward would know that someone IS in the cabin and extra steps should be taken - like knocking on the door or returning when the indicator is green and no one is in the cabin. The only case when the cabin steward should open a dead bolted door is if the passengers are failing to respond after several hard knocks on the door (emergency).

This seems like such an easy fix to me.

Ever notice when you go into the restrooms if someone has the door locked in a stall there is a red indicator that shows through an opening by the handle. If the stall is unoccupied (unlocked) a green indicator shows in the little window. How hard would it be to have these kind of indicators on the cabin doors? If the deadbolt is engaged a red indicator would show, then the cabin steward would know that someone IS in the cabin and extra steps should be taken - like knocking on the door or returning when the indicator is green and no one is in the cabin. The only case when the cabin steward should open a dead bolted door is if the passengers are failing to respond after several hard knocks on the door (emergency).

Great idea. I wonder how hard it would be to fit to the doors especially as they are all fire doors as well.:D

Great idea. I wonder how hard it would be to fit to the doors especially as they are all fire doors as well.:D

I had read this on a NCL Breakaway review on how NCL's newer ships deal with it:

There are three colored LED lights atop every stateroom door visible from the hallway. Two of them are activated by switches in the stateroom: "Do Not Disturb" and “Make Up Room.” The third one activates when you have a card in the slot that controls the stateroom’s power. This is how your stateroom attendant can tell if you are in the room. But if you have a “dummy card” in the slot and you’re not there, then you might not get service from your stateroom attendant.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1837480&highlight=live+ncl+norwegian+breakaway+review+pics+pictures+photos+interior+stateroom+11209+doors+outwards+door

I had read this on a NCL Breakaway review on how NCL's newer ships deal with it:

There are three colored LED lights atop every stateroom door visible from the hallway. Two of them are activated by switches in the stateroom: "Do Not Disturb" and “Make Up Room.” The third one activates when you have a card in the slot that controls the stateroom’s power. This is how your stateroom attendant can tell if you are in the room. But if you have a “dummy card” in the slot and you’re not there, then you might not get service from your stateroom attendant.

Sounds like NCL has it dialed in. I know when we were on the NCL Spirit they had a "dial" outside the door. You could select different items - Do Not Disturb, Make up Stateroom, Etc. This sounds better since the switches are inside the stateroom and can't be manipulated by someone outside the cabin (like people removing the Do Not Disturb tag).

We stayed at a hotel Friday night and put the Do Not Disturb card in the slot when we left the room (just because we want people to think we are in the room). When we returned a short time later the card was gone. Someone decided they needed one or maybe they just wanted to take it for fun. It does happen.

I can see it happening on a cruise. Since our breakfast room service card has disappeared.

I've seen people do stranger stuff.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Clearly this is not an isolated incident. Perhaps if enough of us make enough noise to Princess' management there can be some changes.

I think a good start would be for them to at least make passengers aware that the deadbolt is meaningless.

I really like the idea that some of you suggested regarding having a dial-type system built into the door that conveys the "Do not disturb" or "Please make up my room" message. Unfortunately that will only come to be if enough people make this an important enough issue for them to design it into their new ships.

If you are planning an upcoming cruise please keep the privacy issue in mind and help make fellow passengers aware that there is a problem and how to deal it.

There have been good ideas shared on this post and I hope people will continue to share their experiences and ideas.

We stayed at a hotel Friday night and put the Do Not Disturb card in the slot when we left the room (just because we want people to think we are in the room). When we returned a short time later the card was gone. Someone decided they needed one or maybe they just wanted to take it for fun. It does happen.

I can see it happening on a cruise. Since our breakfast room service card has disappeared.

Like leaving a hat on the door knob?:rolleyes:

I'm reminded of the movie "Almost Famous" where after a "do not disturb" sign is switched to "Please make up room", the next time you have a hotel scene, the "do not disturb" sign is taped to the door with generous amounts of tape (two rolls?)

I'm reminded of the movie "Almost Famous" where after a "do not disturb" sign is switched to "Please make up room", the next time you have a hotel scene, the "do not disturb" sign is taped to the door with generous amounts of tape (two rolls?)

:DYes, very amusing.

We also had a similar issue last month on the Golden. Our Steward entered our room at 7am. The deadbolt was in place and the do not disturb sign was out. Quite dismaying to us and we thought an isolated incident. Obviously this is not the case.
But how is that possible?! You had your DO NOT DISTURB SIGN out! Excuse my sarcasm, but many people in this thread swear that is the endallbeall needed so no one enters the room.

We also had a similar issue last month on the Golden. Our Steward entered our room at 7am. The deadbolt was in place and the do not disturb sign was out. Quite dismaying to us and we thought an isolated incident. Obviously this is not the case.

Did you question him as to why he entered your room at such an early hour especially when the sign was out:confused:. I may be incorrect but I did not think they starting servicing the rooms that early.

Also, wonder why with all the complaints no one contacts the hotel manager to inquire about it or voice their complaints:confused::confused:.

What was his explanation and what did the supervisor say about this??? That is totally screwed up and needed to be corrected then and there

What was his explanation and what did the supervisor say about this??? That is totally screwed up and needed to be corrected then and there

Agree totally......no one seems to be taking their problem with this to the next level......Hotel manager should be notified....they may not even be aware this is a problem with some.

While this has never happened to us, now that I see how often it happens, it greatly disturbs me. There's just no reason for it. Why would a cabin steward need to be in a cabin at 7 in the morning anyway? It makes no sense. I would be outraged and you better believe they would have heard from me, right then and there. I do wonder if Princess is aware of this problem? If not, they need to be made aware of it. Emergencies are one thing, this is ridiculous. Simply put, they should not be entering a room where the deadbolt is in place unless they suspect something is wrong or there is an emergency.

But how is that possible?! You had your DO NOT DISTURB SIGN out! Excuse my sarcasm, but many people in this thread swear that is the endallbeall needed so no one enters the room.

I would have been asking for an explanation as to why the sign was disregarded.