Independence cruise?

In September, I was lucky enough to go on the Allure and loved it! Now I'm trying to figure out what cruise to book for my late January/Feb "cheap" cruise.

I live in Iowa, USA where it can get unbearably cold in this time frame, so me and the DH love to have a budget cruise getaway! Our criteria this time around is 2k for both us, including flights. Flights are around 300pp so we have about 1,400 to spend on a cruise for two!

So after some research I think the best way to go is a 6nite independence cruise to George Town, Falmouth, and Labadee.

I haven't been to any of these ports, or on the ship. If we decide this itinerary isn't for us, we may have to go to a different cruise line, but just looking for some feedback on this cruise!

We did this exact cruise in March 2013. LOVED it! The ship is awesome.

Labadee is my favourite port.

Grand Caymen - beautiful, lots to do

Falmouth - OK, but not as nice as the others.

For the price, you cannot beat that cruise.

We did this exact cruise in March 2013. LOVED it! The ship is awesome.

Labadee is my favourite port.

Grand Caymen - beautiful, lots to do

Falmouth - OK, but not as nice as the others.

For the price, you cannot beat that cruise.

How was the entertainment? I was on the Allure in sept and was spoiled...not expecting that quality because the allure was so much more expensive, but do they have Broadway shows or pretty decent shows? How was the food? Typical RC fare?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

How was the entertainment? I was on the Allure in sept and was spoiled...not expecting that quality because the allure was so much more expensive, but do they have Broadway shows or pretty decent shows? How was the food? Typical RC fare?

Indy won't have the wide range of entertainment options that Allure had, but it still will have decent entertainment. There will be a couple of production shows, and some headliners like a comedian,singer, juggler, etc.

[quote name=aubreyc1988;

I haven't been to any of these ports' date=' or on the ship. If we decide this itinerary isn't for us, we may have to go to a different cruise line, but just looking for some feedback on this cruise![/quote]

Don't worry so much about the ports as to what cruise line and ship you choose. That itinerary is a classic and offers great beaches and other fun excursions to do. The line and ship though are the most important though because that's where you spend 80% of your time. Your accommodations, meals, entertainment, and environment are your ship. In my opinion after coming off a ship like the Allure your expectations are going to be high so leaving Royal for a different itinerary is not a great idea.

We've sailed on Oasis and enjoyed the many options onboard...however you won't be disappointed in any of the Freedom Class ships...We've sailed on the Indy & Liberty several times to the eastern caribbean and western med and actually loved these ships a little more. Enjoy !!

We just booked the 6 day April 20th Indy cruise today. Great price and great ship. We've been to these ports and they are fine, especially if you haven't been there. We have been on the Indy before and just did the Allure in Oct. The Allure was great, but don't need to do that class of ship again until the price comes down. JUST DO IT!! :D

We just booked the 6 day April 20th Indy cruise today. Great price and great ship. We've been to these ports and they are fine, especially if you haven't been there. We have been on the Indy before and just did the Allure in Oct. The Allure was great, but don't need to do that class of ship again until the price comes down. JUST DO IT!! :D

For me, the one good thing about the quantum class coming out, is that oasis class ships prices may come down a bit! But I agree, I could only do the oasis class again is if the price went down!

I am hoping the 8day Indy will go down in price a bit so I can do that one instead of the 6day!

For me, the one good thing about the quantum class coming out, is that oasis class ships prices may come down a bit! But I agree, I could only do the oasis class again is if the price went down!

I am hoping the 8day Indy will go down in price a bit so I can do that one instead of the 6day!

All of our eastern caribbean cruises have been the 8 nighters except for Oasis....Those 8 nighters are amazing !!!!! That one extra night makes a big difference :D

We did the 6 night last winter and it was great. Ship was immaculate, service was good, food was very good. The ports are great! We really enjoyed the trip. There is a review with photos in my signature if you care to read about it.

But entertainment? Don't even bother. It was pretty bad. Definitely NOT Broadway quality. Not even local theatre group quality. More like local high school quality. Their shows are very dated, cheesy, and won't be comparable at all to what you saw on Allure.

But hey, that's the only low point, so go for it!

Edited by micmacmissy

We did the 6 night last winter and it was great. Ship was immaculate, service was good, food was very good. The ports are great! We really enjoyed the trip. There is a review with photos in my signature if you care to read about it.

But entertainment? Don't even bother. It was pretty bad. Definitely NOT Broadway quality. Not even local theatre group quality. More like local high school quality. Their shows are very dated, cheesy, and won't be comparable at all to what you saw on Allure.

But hey, that's the only low point, so go for it!

Agree word for word! We just got off Nov 23rd on the 8 night and the shows were horrible! I have never marked anything poor on my survey until this last cruise. Everything else was great! You'll enjoy Indy but compare to Allure of course!

Oh dear......I can understand what you are thinking.....BUT.....we have cruised with RCI for almost 29 years now and have been on most all of the ships at one time or another.......and we have NEVER had a bad time. All were great!! It's what you make it. Go on every cruise that you can!!! We are boarding the Indy this Sunday for the 6 night and staying on board for the 8 night. The Indy is great. We never go the shows any more and we still have a great time!! But if you want to really have a great cruise experience......go on the smaller ships!! They are our favorite. Don't worry about it......just go!!!

Edited by max'smom

Oh dear......I can understand what you are thinking.....BUT.....we have cruised with RCI for almost 29 years now and have been on most all of the ships at one time or another.......and we have NEVER had a bad time. All were great!! It's what you make it. Go on every cruise that you can!!! We are boarding the Indy this Sunday for the 6 night and staying on board for the 8 night. The Indy is great. We never go the shows any more and we still have a great time!! But if you want to really have a great cruise experience......go on the smaller ships!! They are our favorite. Don't worry about it......just go!!!

Oh my God. I have to give this retirement thing a try.:p

And I agree, Indy is a great ship...except for the entertainment.

and the logo shop. and the lack of a caribbean band.

haha!

I will agree about the lack of a logo shop or variety of logo gear in the shops on Indy, but we just got off the 8 day this past Saturday and there was a "Caribbean" band that played by the pools every day, several times a day. They were called "Hot Spices" and really were pretty decent.

In September, I was lucky enough to go on the Allure and loved it! Now I'm trying to figure out what cruise to book for my late January/Feb "cheap" cruise.

I live in Iowa, USA where it can get unbearably cold in this time frame, so me and the DH love to have a budget cruise getaway! Our criteria this time around is 2k for both us, including flights. Flights are around 300pp so we have about 1,400 to spend on a cruise for two!

So after some research I think the best way to go is a 6nite independence cruise to George Town, Falmouth, and Labadee.

I haven't been to any of these ports, or on the ship. If we decide this itinerary isn't for us, we may have to go to a different cruise line, but just looking for some feedback on this cruise!

We have done that, and it is a nice getaway cruise. Even though there is no Boardwalk, Central Park, or outdoor water shows, there is much entertainment and activities on Freedom class ships, We did not care for the over choreographed production type shows, but that is subjective opinion.

Grand Cayman is nice and has a reputation for some of the most beautiful water in the Caribbean. Falmouth, and Jamaica as a whole were nothing special IMO, but I guess everyone who goes there has to be able to say they have been to Dunns River Falls, to me, an over hyped and crowded tourist trap for sure. Labadee is one of my favorite stops of anywhere, and since it is a docked port, you can split your day in whatever increments you want between the ship and shore. A great opportunity to spend some time in the beautiful cantilevered hot tub and enjoy the scenic island (which by the way is not really an island)views. The zip line is a bit pricey, but if you need an adrenaline fix, go for it.

Edited by MermaidWatcher