Eclipse, Ethernet Jack and WIFI Pocket Router

Fouremco

Host Andy's current thread from aboard the eclipse included the following information in post # 99:

The first 2+ days were a wipeout, as I could not connect to their wireless network, and I have a dual antenna wireless card - Still nothing. Thankfully, Celebrity came to the rescue and loaned me an Ethernet cable. Things are much better now. My advice, is that if Internet is important to you, and if you are bringing your own laptop, **always** bring an Ethernet cable, and connect directly to the jack in your cabin, by the vanity. It's much better, and I will never leave home without an Ethernet cable again !

Can anyone comment whether ethernet jacks are available in all cabins or if they are limited to certain categories?

Before hotels switched to wifi, I always used to travel with a laptop and carried an ethernet cable. Now I travel solely with an iPad, but given Andy's post, started thinking that maybe it was time to revert to my MacBook for cruises. But I hate being tethered to one spot, and would love to be able to sit on my balcony with my iPad. Which got me thinking, could I simply bring along a pocket router, which would connect to the ships network via the ethernet jack and create a wifi hotspot for my cabin and balcony? I'd use appropriate password protection and not make the wifi available for others to piggyback on, and would probably disconnect between sessions. I'm suggesting a pocket router because of ease of packing and the limited range required for this set up, but a full-sized router could be used.

I'm relatively computer savvy, but by no means an expert. I'd really appreciate the input of those with the requisite experience to comment on the feasibility of such an approach. I'm not aware of any Celebrity policies that would prohibit this, but then again, I wasn't aware of the Eclipse having ethernet jacks until I saw Andy's post.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Have never seen an Ethernet jack in a verandah, Concierge Class or Aqua Class cabin. Wifi, or using the computers in the computer centre, are the options.

We were on Eclipse in May & there was nothing then ... DH is computer obsessed so I don't know how he could have missed it. ;)

Edited by JanineM

Have never seen an Ethernet jack in a verandah, Concierge Class or Aqua Class cabin. Wifi, or using the computers in the computer centre, are the options.

We were on Eclipse in May & there was nothing then ... DH is computer obsessed so I don't know how he could have missed it. ;)

I've asked Host Andy to see if he can determine what categories of cabin have ethernet jacks. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I've asked Host Andy to see if he can determine what categories of cabin have ethernet jacks. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I've seen them only in the PH and Royal Suites on the M Class.

Edited by kitty9

Before hotels switched to wifi, I always used to travel with a laptop and carried an ethernet cable. Now I travel solely with an iPad, but given Andy's post, started thinking that maybe it was time to revert to my MacBook for cruises. But I hate being tethered to one spot, and would love to be able to sit on my balcony with my iPad. Which got me thinking, could I simply bring along a pocket router, which would connect to the ships network via the ethernet jack and create a wifi hotspot for my cabin and balcony? I'd use appropriate password protection and not make the wifi available for others to piggyback on, and would probably disconnect between sessions. I'm suggesting a pocket router because of ease of packing and the limited range required for this set up, but a full-sized router could be used.

When I travel I always pack a ethernet cable and an Apple Airport Express router. The Airport Express is small. Last time it came in handy was at an Irish hotel. The hotel only had WiFi in the lobby. There was an ethernet cable in the room and I created my own WiFi network for my iPad. Also one nice thing about the Airport Express. Both the iPad and iPhone have an Airport Utility app which you can use to set up your router.

Edited by Charles4515

I've seen them only in the PH and Royal Suites on the M Class.

Well, lets hope that the Solstice Class has a broader distribution. Thanks for the input.

When I travel I always pack a ethernet cable and an Apple Airport Express router. The Airport Express is small. Last time it came in handy was at an Irish hotel. The hotel only had WiFi in the lobby. There was an ethernet cable in the room and I created my own WiFi network for my iPad. Also one nice thing about the Airport Express. Both the iPad and iPhone have an Airport Utility app which you can use to set up your router.

Thanks. While I used the generic term "pocket router" in my post, an Airport Express is exactly what I will take if the cabin does have an ethernet jack. It's about the same size as some of the pocket models, but with better range and features.

I have a question, would this be anything like using an iPhone as a hot spot?

Sorry, I am obviously not very IT savvy, but I did use my iPhone as a hot spot in New Zealand a few times. :) Please explain the difference because I may want to buy a "pocket router" before my next cruise. Thanks! :D

This is an example of a pocket router:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Extender-Set-top/dp/B006PYGWG6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_1

£14.99 delivered from Amazon.

As long as the cabin has an ethernet port, you would connect this device to that port using an ethernet cable then connect to this device wirelessly. Basically acts the same as the Apple Airport Express for a lot less but without the ipad app to configure it.

I have a question, would this be anything like using an iPhone as a hot spot?

Sorry, I am obviously not very IT savvy, but I did use my iPhone as a hot spot in New Zealand a few times. :) Please explain the difference because I may want to buy a "pocket router" before my next cruise. Thanks! :D

You can use an iphone as a hotspot but it needs a 3g/4g phone signal which it then allows you to share by connecting to the iphone wirelessly.

Well, lets hope that the Solstice Class has a broader distribution. Thanks for the input.

Thanks. While I used the generic term "pocket router" in my post, an Airport Express is exactly what I will take if the cabin does have an ethernet jack. It's about the same size as some of the pocket models, but with better range and features.

I was recently on the Equinox and there was a jack, probably most don't notice it. It is not something the average passenger is going to notice. Many will think it is a phone jack. Likely all cabins had it, nothing special about mine. I had no need to use it though. Had a good WiFi signal in my cabin and everywhere on that ship, had one of the better connections as I have had on cruise ships.

I was recently on the Equinox and there was a jack, probably most don't notice it. It is not something the average passenger is going to notice. Many will think it is a phone jack. Likely all cabins had it, nothing special about mine. I had no need to use it though. Had a good WiFi signal in my cabin and everywhere on that ship, had one of the better connections as I have had on cruise ships.

Ah, that's a more positive post! :) We will be in cabin 8343 on the Eclipse, probably quite distant from any of the ship's network repeaters and, I suspect, on the fringe of wifi reception.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Extender-Set-top/dp/B006PYGWG6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_1

As long as the cabin has an ethernet port, you would connect this device to that port using an ethernet cable then connect to this device wirelessly. Basically acts the same as the Apple Airport Express for a lot less but without the ipad app to configure it.

Thank you! :)

Ah, that's a more positive post! :) We will be in cabin 8343 on the Eclipse, probably quite distant from any of the ship's network repeaters and, I suspect, on the fringe of wifi reception.

The Ethernet jack is by the desk, at the back end of the plugs. While I've never used it, just off Reflection and it appeared to be blocked off so you couldn't access it. Not sure if that is the case on the other S-Class ships.

I had no problem accessing wireless internet from my stateroom on any of the S-Class ships. Sometimes connections spotty and slow due to the amount of people using it during peak times.

The Ethernet jack is by the desk, at the back end of the plugs. While I've never used it, just off Reflection and it appeared to be blocked off so you couldn't access it. Not sure if that is the case on the other S-Class ships.

I had no problem accessing wireless internet from my stateroom on any of the S-Class ships. Sometimes connections spotty and slow due to the amount of people using it during peak times.

The one in my cabin on Equinox had a small cover that could be pushed out of the way but I did not actually try sticking a cable in the jack since I had no problem accessing the Wi Fi in my cabin or elsewhere on board.

There are other reasons than a weak signal that Andy might have had issues. Even though he had a dual antenna card, his card might have had comparability issues with the ships access points. The standards have changed over the years and his card and their access points might not "play well together".

Edited by Charles4515

Cool! :D

Have you used this on Celebrity and it worked?

Cool! :D

Have you used this on Celebrity and it worked?

FYI, this model is also available on Amazon.ca for $19.99. You might want to take a look at some of the reviews before purchasing. This from PC Magazine:

BOTTOM LINE

The TP-Link 150 Mbps Wireless N Nano Router is a very good traveling companion for those who need flexible and ubiquitous wireless connectivity but sloppy documentation is likely to frustrate those not experienced in configuring Wi-Fi.

Host Andy has confirmed that jacks have been in all the cabins on the Eclipse that he has seen, so I'll pursue this approach when I'm onboard in February - March. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll just revert to the ship's wifi.

If anyone tries the set up before then, please let us know how it works out. Otherwise, I'll post something on my experience.