Horizon court vs. Mdr

Grammyluvs

i read several weeks ago that the HCB and the MDR had essentially the same menus. Is this true and if so, is it especially true on formal night? Referring specifically to the Grand for the Hawaii cruises.
The buffet has a number of the items but not everything translates to serving buffet style. There will be the soup, appetizers, a roast, fish, salad bar, and a number of other items.

Also, sometimes there is a theme at the buffet with dishes you can't get in the MDR. One that we always like is Bavarian night. Lots of interesting sausages, pretzels, and different German dishes.

Our favorite is Italian Night in the HC. IMO, the MDR Italian Night cannot compare.

Also, sometimes there is a theme at the buffet with dishes you can't get in the MDR. One that we always like is Bavarian night. Lots of interesting sausages, pretzels, and different German dishes.

I loved Bavarian night! Right, lots of sausages and all sorts of pickles. We ate at the buffet much more than the MDR. Didn't feel like waiting for a two top at the MDR, and the food was so overly salted. Most cases couldn't even take more than two bites. At the buffet I take just a tiny bit and if I like it go back and get a real portion. That way I don't feel so bad about wasting food.

Didn't see any lobster at the buffet on formal night but they did have a lot of seafood dishes. That night the plating was nicer (single serving sizes instead of a big heap, like at the Wynn or Caesar's buffets in Vegas), but made it difficult to put more items on your plate bc they were in little dishes.

Never a wait for a table at the buffet for dinner either!

Our favorite is Italian Night in the HC. IMO, the MDR Italian Night cannot compare.
I like Italian night but my favorite is German night. Several different types of wursts, a variety of mustards, potato salad, weinerschnitzel (sp?), etc. Both nights are excellent. :) Edited by Pam in CA

i read several weeks ago that the HCB and the MDR had essentially the same menus. Is this true and if so, is it especially true on formal night? Referring specifically to the Grand for the Hawaii cruises.
What you will probably see on Formal night in the Horizon Court is Beef Wellington at the carving station. The soup will be the same as one of the choices in the MDR. You may or may not see salad prepared in separate bowls, including Caesar salad (depends on ship).

We've never seen lobster tails in the buffet, but have seen a lot of other choices not seen in the MDR. On non-formal nights the choices can be quite different, like the German night previously mentioned.

The quality of food served in the buffet increased significantly since the advent of Anytime Dining, and in our opinion the buffet (especially Café Caribe on some ships) is a viable option to the MDR.

We love eating dinner in the HC. Think the food is at times better than the DR. Gives us a chance to try different foods and we don't have to dress! On one of our New England/Canada cruises a few years ago, they had tubs of lobster tails at the HC...wow, wonderful. Have never seen it again:(

While the buffet has good food, it's not as civilized as the MDRs. That applies to all meals. But I can understand how younger people like to waddle up to the buffet and strap on the old feed bag.:rolleyes:
It can be very civilized at night... and a lot more fun. On the Royal T/A, we had dinner in the buffet almost every night. Met up with others for a fun meal, kept our wine bottles stored up there and served during dinner, and the best part is that you could take as much or as little as you wanted or go back and get more of something. For instance, I got a thin slice of beef Wellington rather than the thick slab served in the dining room. (For some reason, I don't like thick slabs of beef.)

As for the "feeding bag," I've probably taken about 40 cruises on various lines for about 500 days sailed and have never gained weight on a cruise. I usually lose weight. After getting home from my Royal T/A, I'd lost 2-lb. And, I eat well. And, and... I'm not unusual in this.

How do you know when the themed dinners are in the HC? I would love Bavarian night!!

Cheers, Denise

My husband will stop in at the Horizon Court during the day and ask. Usually the head chef comes out with the menu.

When we sailed the Diamond and Sapphire to the Mexican Rivera several years ago, the afternoon and dinner menus were posted at the entrance to the HC....not the entire menu but the main theme or dishes. Can't understand why this is not standard procedure...they post menus for the dining rooms so why not the buffet.:confused:

While the buffet has good food, it's not as civilized as the MDRs. That applies to all meals. But I can understand how younger people like to waddle up to the buffet and strap on the old feed bag.:rolleyes:

I enjoy when people talk about being "civilized" in one breath and are total turkeys in their next.

As for the "feeding bag," I've probably taken about 40 cruises on various lines for about 500 days sailed and have never gained weight on a cruise. I usually lose weight. After getting home from my Royal T/A, I'd lost 2-lb. And, I eat well. And, and... I'm not unusual in this.

I envy you, that sounds wonderful!

The only thing I wish HC would have is easy access to drinks during non-normal hours. You can still get food, but because there aren't many (or any?) crew members around it's near impossible to get a drink and silverware.

I prefer the main dining room for dinner. Since we always have second seating traditional dining, however, I frequently go up to the Horizon Court for a late afternoon snack. Many times I'll see dishes that are on the menu in the main dining rooms. Occasionally I've eaten something as a snack and ordered another one later at dinner. The quality has always been about the same.

They should be posted in that day's Patter. Not always, but the Bavarian night has been.

They must not do this in Alaska. I've never seen it in the Patter, at least. I rarely go to the buffet at night, so I guess I could have missed it.

The one time I can recall going up to the buffet because I wasn't thrilled with the MDR menu, they unfortunately did have pretty much the same stuff in the buffet, which kind of defeated the purpose of going up there for something DIFFERENT! I ate pizza and salad.

While the buffet has good food, it's not as civilized as the MDRs. That applies to all meals. But I can understand how younger people like to waddle up to the buffet and strap on the old feed bag.
Do I have to preorder the feed bag, or is it something I can get onboard?