Just finished Allure 12/1-12/8/13. Not a Ken Rush fan.

adomek

Hi everyone. I can see both sides of this discussion. I have sailed Allure 3 times and Ken has been the CD all 3 times (missed Allan Brooks by a week or so on the last 2 sailings)! The first 2 times I found Ken funny, witty and his presence was clearly 'there' all the time. I have to admit that by my 3rd cruise, Ken began to wear a little thin. I think it is because he does/says the same thing week in, week out - not his fault, it is his job - so just my opinion of hearing the same things for the 3rd time!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some people on here love certain CD but others just don't like their style. Heck, if we all thought the same, life would be so boring!

I find Ken boring and stale after one day. (JMO, which is what this thread seems to be about)

I did a B2B on Freedom with Richard Spacey and wasn't the least bit bored by him even once!

Incorrect. Why do you think the launch of quantum was taken away from Ken? Because, he's stale. He has done nothing new in YEARS. Some of his speeches, sayings, and announcements are actually recorded now. In addition, his arrogance just continues to increase. Rush needs to hush.

Ken IS on for the launch of the Quantum. Not sure where you heard otherwise. He is the "planner behind the scenes", which is his strong suit, while Richard will be the outer "face" in the first couple of months of the new ship.

We had the 'luck' to have Ken on the Splendor, Oasis and Allure three sailings in a row. Can't say we liked him much unfortunately, but it doesn't make or break a cruise. I sure wouldn't mind if I never sailed with him again though.

.......I think he was energetic and seems to like his job. You can tell he seems to LOVE personal attention to feed his ego, but he is an entertainer so that's OK with me; if an entertainer wasn't at least a bit into themselves they'd have no personality at all, know what I mean? Yeah, some of the schtick is been there, done that, and I'm pretty sure a few months from now I won't remember who he was in particular, just that the cruise was loaded with activities and the cruise directors staff was very good..........It doesn't matter that some of his announcements are recorded; they are commercials. I don't expect that he dresses up to dine at Izumi and Samba Grill each week and make a new commercial every week; not sure what some people expect. His morning show had useful info for the day. He keeps the entertainment jam packed, just wish he'd go off script a bit or add something new/unique in there.

My DH and I have cruised 15 times on Royal and not had Ken Rush or Richard Spacey, as CD at all.....every CD we have had, created activity packed cruises, whether it was a 3, 4 or 7 day cruise. Some we like better than others...maybe it was their personality, during the times we interacted with them....and since we participate in lots of things on board, we interact with them on a cruise. They do need to have a big ego to fill, and that makes them, 'good entertainers' while they also have to handle organization of the ships activities.

I can say this on, many of the cruises, there is 'personalization' of the daily morning show -- it depends upon the CD. As one of the cruise directors, who we have become friendly with told us....if you do the very same recording week after week, it gets BORING to him, and that would NOT be good for the cruisers, because they would sense it from him. Just one example -- he brought up specific things that had happened during the night before's "Love and Marriage Game" -- you can't do that without personalizing things.

Incorrect. Why do you think the launch of quantum was taken away from Ken? Because, he's stale. He has done nothing new in YEARS. Some of his speeches, sayings, and announcements are actually recorded now. In addition, his arrogance just continues to increase. Rush needs to hush.

Why do you think it was taken away? Maybe Ken didn't want it. But untrue anyway as Ken is on the Quantum.

You don't like Ken? Don't sail with him. Never seen him any more arrogant than anyone else.

You should cruise more. There are recordings made by CD's on all ships.

You certainly seem to have a lot of issues with the guy. Stay away from him and spare those of us who do like him

Edited by SeaUs

I can't imagine caring about a CD. I guess it's important for a lot of people to have their hand held, to have the activities spoon fed, to have someone tell them when they're having fun. But for me, I actually have the ability to do these things all by myself.

CD's are useless...

Ken is not too bad, Like someone said on here "Every activity he hosted was hilarious" which was true.. sure if you cruise with him more than once he says the same thing, its his job. But to each their own, but one thing i know he is better than Amy Fickett on the oasis in Feb 2012. But i dont really care after a few mintues they are done their speech and they are on to the next thing. Relax and enjoy your cruise dont let a CD ruin your cruise. i know it doesnt ruin my cruise :D

Ken is not too bad, Like someone said on here "Every activity he hosted was hilarious" which was true.. sure if you cruise with him more than once he says the same thing, its his job. But to each their own, but one thing i know he is better than Amy Fickett on the oasis in Feb 2012. But i dont really care after a few mintues they are done their speech and they are on to the next thing. Relax and enjoy your cruise dont let a CD ruin your cruise. i know it doesnt ruin my cruise :D

The CD on a ship, should not ruin anyone's cruise. Some can make it a better experience for a cruiser than others. The CD's that are more personal and interact with passengers more one on one....make that passenger, feel ultra special....sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. In no way should a cruise director have a negative affect on a passengers enjoyment of the cruise.

It is sad, if that happens.

I find Ken boring and stale after one day. (JMO, which is what this thread seems to be about)

I did a B2B on Freedom with Richard Spacey and wasn't the least bit bored by him even once!

So sorry you found him boring and stale but I am very pleased that you enjoyed Richard.

I am unsure why the 'JMO, which is what this thread seems to be about' was necessary as I already understand that. I find it interesting hearing everyone opinions and as I said in my original post 'Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some people on here love certain CD but others just don't like their style. Heck, if we all thought the same, life would be so boring!'

Happy Holidays Everyone :)

The CD on a ship, should not ruin anyone's cruise. Some can make it a better experience for a cruiser than others. The CD's that are more personal and interact with passengers more one on one....make that passenger, feel ultra special....sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. In no way should a cruise director have a negative affect on a passengers enjoyment of the cruise.

It is sad, if that happens.

Really? The person that introduces many of the performances...the person that himself sometimes performs...the person that hosts several of the most popular games/shows on the ship...if that person is rotten at their job (not saying that's the case with Ken), then that should have no negative impact on the passengers' enjoyment of the cruise? Really?

Really? The person that introduces many of the performances...the person that himself sometimes performs...the person that hosts several of the most popular games/shows on the ship...if that person is rotten at their job (not saying that's the case with Ken), then that should have no negative impact on the passengers' enjoyment of the cruise? Really?

And you think cruise directors are just hired directly into their jobs? No experience necessary? Think any would last more than one week if they were "ROTTEN" at their jobs?

We've cruised with Ken 4 or 5 times now between 2000 and 2012 (all while he was bringing out a new ship, except in 2012 on Allure). Like each of us, he's evolved quite a bit in 12 years! I get the Ken-centric comments, but we felt he seemed a lot more grounded when we saw him in August. Whatever you think about his personality, you have to give credit where it's due. He's well-regarded in the industry as being a master at doing all the behind-the-scenes stuff that a CD does to make sure the passengers enjoy a week of professionally-and enthusiastically-produced entertainment and activities. And because he's Royal's "go to" new ship guy, it's not surprising he's slated to be aboard Quantum managing the background operations, allowing Richard Spacey to be the public face of the CD staff and also learn Ken's new ship tricks.

When I look at all the activities that happen on a ship, the CD's impact (directly), should not have a negative impact....yes, they could have a HUGE impact if they are perceived by the passenger as very good.

I have been on ships, where I really did not ever 'warm up to the CD' -- either I did not like their humor, or wit, or way they introduced things, comraderie with passengers....but they really did no cause me to have a 'bad experience on the cruise' -- on the flip side, if I like the style, humor, wit, comraderie with passengers.....they could have a large impact on my enjoyment.

I believe that the Activities Director, who often is much more visible to passengers, can have a larger affect on how passengers enjoy a cruise.

Count me among those who couldn't tell you nor could I care less who the CD has been on my 20+ cruises.

Many of the CD's made no impression on me, on the 15 cruises already taken on RCCL. Several, have been made the cruise incredible for DH and I....is all I can say. Many times, the activities STAFFERS, have had a huge affect on how much additional enjoyment I had....often times, the activity staff gets to know some of the cruisers better, and as the passengers participate in activities more -- the staff actually helps make it special.

When I look at all the activities that happen on a ship, the CD's impact (directly), should not have a negative impact....yes, they could have a HUGE impact if they are perceived by the passenger as very good.

I have been on ships, where I really did not ever 'warm up to the CD' -- either I did not like their humor, or wit, or way they introduced things, comraderie with passengers....but they really did no cause me to have a 'bad experience on the cruise' -- on the flip side, if I like the style, humor, wit, comraderie with passengers.....they could have a large impact on my enjoyment.

I believe that the Activities Director, who often is much more visible to passengers, can have a larger affect on how passengers enjoy a cruise.

Just because a bad CD doesn't negatively affect your cruise, you should not make that generalization for everybody, and state that a bad CD should not affect anyone else's cruise.

Edited by time4u2go

Just because a bad CD doesn't negatively affect your cruise, you should not make that generalization for everybody, and state that a bad CD should not affect anyone else's cruise.

I'll make that claim! I will concede that it is possible, for some people, that a "good" CD (whatever that means) might enhance a cruise experience. HOWEVER, if anyone allows a bad CD to negatively affect their cruise, well that's just pathetic...

I'll make that claim! I will concede that it is possible, for some people, that a "good" CD (whatever that means) might enhance a cruise experience. HOWEVER, if anyone allows a bad CD to negatively affect their cruise, well that's just pathetic...

Agreed. Key word being 'allowed'.

Pathetic? I'm glad I don't judge people like you do!

Edited by time4u2go

Pathetic? I'm glad I don't judge people like you do!

I stand by my statement. I think it is a pathetic thing should someone allow a bad CD to negatively affect their cruise. I am not judging the individual. I am simply saying that I personally find such an occurrence pathetic. Learn the difference.

We have sailed with Ken many times and ALWAYS enjoyed his company and energy. Sure we have heard his standard lines many times, but many cruisers are still first timers and enjoy them. Other CDs also have standard lines and jokes that they roll out every cruise.

I just think how lucky I am to have been able to cruise often and smile when I see a new cruiser laugh at an old joke. When Ken refers to "My Ship" or My Theatre" it is because he throws himself at the position and has a great passion for it. Ken it a master organiser, and the job of CD is far more than what is seen as being done on stage.

I thank him for many years of great cruises entertainment and know his contribution to the development of the Quantum project will be invaluable even if someone else is in the front row.