Canada/NE help? Which would you do?

DrivesLikeMario

Which would you do and why? If you've done both, which did you prefer?

1. Ruby Princess, 10 nights, NY to Quebec City

Ports include: Newport, RI, Boston, Bar Harbor, St. John, Halifax, Sydney (Nova Scotia), Charlottetown, Quebec City overnight.

Cons: Airfare more costly, cruise is more costly and have been on this ship already.

2. Royal Princess, 7 nights, RT NY

Ports include: Newport, RI, Boston, Bar Harbor, St. John, Halifax.

Cons: Would miss Quebec area, shorter cruise.

Thanks for the help! :)

We were on the recent Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale re-positioning cruise and enjoyed it very much. It was a 14 day cruise. We did enjoy it, although my DW tells me that any cruise where they close part of the upper decks due to ice is too cold for her. So my advice is to pick something earlier in the season 'cause it can and does get pretty cold up here.

Plus 7 days is not enough if you are traveling any distance to ge to the cruise. Stay at the Chateau Fronteac or if you can't afford it, stay on top the hill. That walk up the hill was a killer. They do have a funicula but it would have been much btter to be staying at the top of the hill. Lower area is a tourist trap with crap made in China at High prices.

Either way you win! :D

I enjoyed a Quebec to FLL cruise but if it cost more & I had not sailed on the Royal then I'd do the NYC roundtrip on the Royal. Even though I sailed 18 days on the Royal, I'd gladly sail her again particularly if it was less expensive. That would be easier for me to do having already experienced Quebec. If you go there, I'd suggest arriving a couple of days early to enjoy the area.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We have done the seven day twice and loved the itinerary. First time in August and it was so humid. Second time in October, we barely made it out of NY before hurricane Sandy came in ! But the fall colors where outstanding in Canada !

We enjoyed our Quebec stay at the Hotel du Vieux-Quebec on the hilltop in the old city. We met CC friends for a drink at the Frontenac & used the savings for a horse buggy ride & a bus tour of the Quebec area. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

But the fall colors where outstanding in Canada !

On our 2nd week of October 2012 cruise from Quebec we flew into Montreal for a few days. Two years ago the best fall color was on the train to Quebec & in the Quebec area but it may vary year to year.

I vote for the Ruby for 2 reasons.

We love Quebec City!!! We have done a 'land trip' and a 10-day cruise on the Emerald last fall.

We prefer cruises longer than 7 days. With all the preparation and travel to meet the ship, we want lots of time on board.

As Frank says, you win either way. If you haven't been to Quebec, I'd do the Ruby cruise. If you have, I'd do the Royal cruise. There are pros and cons to both itineraries. I'd make a list of them to decide which or what is more important to you.

I haven't been on the Ruby but I've been on almost all of the Grand-class ships. The Ruby has the better itinerary but it's more expensive. The Royal is a terrific ship with some nice features the Ruby doesn't have and it's less expensive. But it's not as good an itinerary.

For the best Fall foliage, I'd book between the end of September and the 2nd week of October. Foliage lasts a couple of weeks and the start can vary by a couple of weeks. It'll be deeper further north and inland, later on the coast and south. Here's a good source for Fall foliage maps and predictions: http://www.yankeefoliage.com/new-england-foliage-maps/

Ugh! I'm more confused than ever. Been there/done that with the Ruby but I like the itinerary. I'm thinking maybe late September might be better weather wise. Some of you are convincing me that mid-October is going to be too cold for this warm-weather person.

I guess I'll take everything everyone has said, think about it some more and digest it all. Thank you to each of you for your opinions, advice and help! :)

We enjoyed our Quebec stay at the Hotel du Vieux-Quebec on the hilltop in the old city. We met CC friends for a drink at the Frontenac & used the savings for a horse buggy ride & a bus tour of the Quebec area. :)

I'm glad to hear you liked the Hotel du Vieux-Quebec, because we have booked it for September 2014. And your "CC friends" are mutual to us; they told us about the wonderful horse and buggy ride, so we must have one of those as well! :) We are definitely looking forward to visiting Quebec City. We had the same reservations as the OP about the Royal cruise vs the Ruby cruise, especially considering the disparity in price, but the visit to Quebec won us over!

Ugh! I'm more confused than ever. Been there/done that with the Ruby but I like the itinerary. I'm thinking maybe late September might be better weather wise. Some of you are convincing me that mid-October is going to be too cold for this warm-weather person.
Sailing mid-October means it'll be quite cold, at least at sea, further north. And, you have a greater chance of missing peak foliage. In general, it starts up north (and Canada) in September and by mid-October, is peak or past-peak in Vermont and New Hampshire. It's later along the coast so you wouldn't miss the foliage but it's far more vibrant inland and further north.

If you've never been to that part of Canada,I would fly into Montreal first for a few days(airfare may be cheaper?) and the city is wonderful. Take the train to Quebec City(that city is also beautiful). People are very friendly in both cities and you feel like you are in Europe without the jet lag of flying to France and the US dollar is stronger in Canada than it is in France.

October would be really cold up there though.

We just did the 7 day on the Caribbean Princess. It was fabulous! Our cruise started on October 19 and we were probably just barely past the peak in Bar Harbor, but at peak in Newport. It was chilly and we needed gloves and coats by the time we got to Halifax, but Newport was beautiful!

I've been to QC by land, it's beautiful! I'd take the longer cruise.... plus I love the Ruby!

We had one of the best private guides ever in Halifax! You'll find glowing reports on the ports of call section. :)

Edited by 5326jan

We were in Quebec City on Oct. 13-14 this year, and they told us the leaves had peaked the previous week. They were still pretty, but a lot had fallen already. Temperatures were comfortable with a sweatshirt or light jacket. Definitely don't miss Quebec, whatever time of year.

There's also a lot to see on Prince Edward Island. (Charlottetown). If you're brave enough, they say it's a great place to rent a car and drive it yourself.

Kathy

That's kind-of what I was thinking about Quebec - I'd love to see it. But, I'll be on my own, so no romantic buggy rides in Quebec or staying days pre-cruise to slowly savor the sites. The Frontenac has been on my To Do List and I'd love to spend a night there possibly.

I guess it's going to be a battle to decide between itinerary vs. ship/cost/shorter time frame.

I really appreciate all the feedback, weather & leave information too. Thanks everyone! :)

That's kind-of what I was thinking about Quebec - I'd love to see it. But, I'll be on my own, so no romantic buggy rides in Quebec or staying days pre-cruise to slowly savor the sites. The Frontenac has been on my To Do List and I'd love to spend a night there possibly.

I guess it's going to be a battle to decide between itinerary vs. ship/cost/shorter time frame.

I really appreciate all the feedback, weather & leave information too. Thanks everyone! :)

I offer these thoughts:

Just back from the 7 day itinerary on the Caribbean Princess(sept 28-oct 5). LOVED the stops..sun shone gloriously every day ( week prior it had rained most days we were told). We did 2 days in NYC prior.

BUT while there wasnt much fall colors, i doubt we would have even had the chance to see much since we werent out in the country ever. ( the Acadia National Park tour maybe but it was cancelled due to Oct 1 govt shut down).

So dont worry so much about right time to pick based solely on seeing " fall foliage" which is how both these trips are marketed. Pick the cheapest week ( we did) and enjoy the same stops and activites as during the $$$ weeks.

Second, I LOVE the Ruby and the 10 day trip would have been my first choice but the other couple we went with only could get a week away. Maybe we will do that one next time...these are itineraries that people seem to do over and over again.

And while I too like cruises longer than 7 days, my advice is this----do not worry about which week(s) are "best" for fall colors; work out the price/ day on both trips then consider the cheapest airfare and then choose. My guess is that the 7 day one will be the most bang for your buck.

These are pretty active port intensive itineraries so even the 7 day one plus a few days tagged on for pre and post cruise, makes it very worthwhile. You wont be disappointed either way so might as well make it cost effective if you can.

In spite of being a Princess fan if another line has a better itinerary we will take it. In September we will be doing a back to back with NCL on the Dawn from Quebec to Boston to Quebec with 10 ports of call.They also do the cruise as back to back from Boston.The cruises are a litte earlier in the season(not as cold) and afford a thorough look at the Maritime Provices in Canada.NCL is not Princess(we did Pride of America in Hawaii) but you will not starve and accommodations are comfortable.From what I have read the entertainment on Norwegian ships is competitive with Princess.POA does not need competitive entertainment-you are in Hawaii!!