Pride of America Disaster at Sea

Wally4973

Some folks do not realize you can not bring it on board since you can with Disney and Celebrity, etc.
You keep saying this and others have posted that Disney and Celebrity have a policy that you can't bring booze. I don't know why you keep giving false information. Just because you've gotten away with it before, doesn't mean that it's allowed.
Let us encourage all reports, good and bad, so that we can get a clear picture of what to expect and so that NCL can maybe read these boards and change things.
Reports good or bad are welcome but this isn't a sounding board for NCL. If you only use this board to reach NCL then you're in the wrong place. I suggest you contacting them directly.
Should I put on armour before I post when I return if I do not give NCL high scores in everything! Come on; please let's be reasonable about this!
I think people are reasonable but I've been reading your posts for weeks and I think you've already judged NCL and their ships and I honestly don't think you're going to have a good time at all. That's a shame. You've let the bad reviews overshadow any of the good reviews. You've said already that you expect mediocrity. You mind as well write your review before you even leave home. This isn't an attack on you. I'm commenting on your comments.

Actually I was not hiding wine at Disney or Celebrity; it was not that I just got away with it--the bottles were right out in the open and the people in front and in back of us and many others did it too; I do not know if they looked the other way, etc. Did not know if their policy was not to have it; I did know from belonging to the Disney and Celebrity boards that many took wine etc with them and it was not confiscated.

For the past 7 years we have cruised every year and I am a very honest person and had I not read these posts I would have brought wine again. Now that I know their policy etc, I will not bring any on board.

Re: What my expectations are; when I travelled on Celebrity and Disney I belonged to boards and read reviews constantly ---I did not hear so many negative reviews. Of course, since the reviews seem to be 50-50 positive vs negative on Pride of America, I am a worried that I will not have the cruise I expected. On the Celebrity and Disney boards I joined the negative reviews were few and far between and when I cruised with Disney and Celebrity I had to give them "A" grades when I returned, and I did not expect perfection either.

My expectations are lowered for my Pride of America cruise, it is true; however, you should accept that I am very honest and will give others a review when I return. All reviews are subjective, so the readers can take what they want from it.

Although I will say that with Disney and Celebrity it would be hard to find fault with much. They were great!!!! And if I am not satisfied with NCL I will probably not cruise with them again. If I like them I will cruise with them again.

Life is short--There are so many other cruise lines and so little time!

I have been lurking for a time and I have to agree that some cruisers and soon to be cruisers seem to look for problems and things to complain about. I have cruised almost all thelines; Celebrity(my favorite), RCL, Carnival, Costa, Disney, and I have not had a single bad cruise. I have stayed in suites and inside cabins and all the rooms inbetween. There can be real problems and some people on this forum have had them but the issues on this inaugaral cruise seem rather petty to me and the watching of the disabling of the ac tests and then going around and taking charge and disabling at well sounded a little over the top to me. Someone likes to be in charge. I hate to be cold by the way but I think I would complain and grumble. I wil be on the POAM Christmas cruise. I am paying for my whole family for my parent's 50t'th anniversary so I have alot invested as there will be 16 or 17 of us. I will make the best fo whatever happens as will my family under penalty of grumbling.:)

I went back and reread Wally's post after a long day at work. I still had the same opinion as when I first read his post this morning. To him, his cruise sucked. Too many problems and disappointments. I feel for him and his family for not receiving the vacation they had in mind when they booked their cruise.

Will his post change my mind on ever giving the POAm a try? No way. I will continue to monitor reviews and comments on this board and after a period of time, I'll know if POAm will be one for me and my family.

I've never been on a cruise and my family and I are looking forward to our first. But we've had many vacations and they all have not been perfect. Just last year in Orlando, we stayed in an upscale resort. The air condition went out and we had to change condos after going a night without it being repaired. And believe me there were 7 very hot Alaskans. Not to mention it took almost a half of a day to move across the resort since there were 7 of us (unpacked) and we had gone mega grocery shopping for our several weeks just the day before the ac went out. There were other minor inconviences, but it did not even come close to ruining our vacation. Will I go back to Orlando? You bet! Will I go back to that resort? Heck no. Just like Wally and his family have experienced first hand disappointment with POAm I don't blame them for not ever wanted to try POAm again. But I would hope they would be open to trying NCL again.:rolleyes:

I hope that when I posted earlier I did not give the impression that everything was perfect onboard during our cruise. It was not, but we were lucky, we did not come across anything major enough that made us upset. I know there are some that were not happy, I just want everyone to know that was not the experience of all of us onboard. Our cabin was clean, I know of others that were not. Our shower did not drain well, and when we told our room steward he recommended that we call it in, if he referred it the request would go through several supervisors before action could be taken. We took his advice, called it in, and the repairman was there literally within 5 minutes. We had hot and cold water and an air-condioner that worked well, I know of others that did not. Service at dinner was slow at times, but the one time I used room service it was very quick. Every day there were things added, and improved on. Sometimes you don't know what to fix or change until you have had a chance to work it for a while. Donna, I read through your list of things that you will forgive and enable you to have a good cruise. Based on MY experience, you should have a good time.

This was only my second time on NCL, and I was not very impressed with our first cruise. We went on this so we could go through the Canal (I teach and all the other Canal cruises are during the school year), and we were looking for a cruise that lasted more than 7 days. When looking at the prices listed for Hawaii, I felt that we got a very good deal on this cruise, and did not feel that it was full price. Basically, we got 13 days for about the same price as one week in Hawaii and the ship was not booked full, that felt discounted to me.

Perhaps if I felt that the crew was not really trying I would have been upset, but that was not my experience. I did run across one or two that were not the best, but realistically, I thought that was pretty good! On the whole I felt that the crew was very proud of the ship, proud of being an American crew, and really wanted us to have a great time. They are still learning, after all a waiter on the traditional lines quite possible spent a few year bussing and being an assistant while learning the fine points of the job. This staff did not have that added experience, though we did have some excellent waiters. At one point during breakfast I looked up and every employee within my line of sight was smiling and greeting someone. It struck me so much that I mentioned it to my husband. I know the Regis and Kelly cruise and the one nighters have worn the staff down a bit. I really feel that once they get to Hawaii and get into a routine, things will improve quite a bit.

One thing that really enhanced my experience was participating in the roll call before we left, and being with our CC friends on board. We had never joined a roll call before, but always will from here on out!

Keep an open mind and have a great cruise!

Kristy

:)

I have a feeling one of the reasons your cruise was so good is that you were part of the cruise critics group; wish I had such a group for my 8/6 sailing. I think the staff gave you guys extra service and parties etc; plus getting to know so many other nice people enhanced your cruise.

I also think that if you pay less for your cruise, you are willing to expect less.

For instance you said you think you got 13 days for the price of 7.

That is great; I thought we got a good deal too so I am willing to accept a little less.

However, I am one that feels everyone should be encouraged to write about their experiences when they return--good bad or both. And I know you agree with me; however, I can tell some who post on these boards really only want posters to praise NCL at least 90 percent of the time. I like honesty and I am grateful for everyone who posts about their experiences and really think they are doing a service for all of us who are trying to learn about the ships we will be cruising on.

For instance, I now know now--do not bring liquor, bring a sweater for everyone, do not expect a large cabin, be ready to report right away if the cabin steward or stewardess is not cleaning the room well (why keep putting up with it and being unhappy about it); do not expect prompt service in the restaurants. Knowing all this my I will not be easily let down. There is no perfection. I compliment good service always and tip real well. My whole family is very polite too. We are not knitpickers, but I do want to be pampered a little since we are on vacation; I do not want to have to clean the room and I want some good meals, etc. That is what vacations are for.

I have really appreciated reading all your postings and I was very excited for your group when you embarked on your cruise and I am so glad you all had a nice vacation!

My wife, Audrey Newman, our grandson Gavin, and I, Howard Wallenstein, had been looking forward to this trip through the Panama Canal on NCL’s newest ship Pride of America.
We too were aboard the Pride of America's inaugural voyage from Miami to Los Angeles. Our experience was almost 100% positive and we'd jump aboard and do it again at the drop of a hat.

When we booked the cruise we knew it was an early voyage and expected that there would be "teething problems". We've yet to be on a "perfect cruise", but we take each of them as they come and try to salvage the positive and filter out the negative with a shrug. Sure there were some service issues, but from our perspective the food was good (baked goods excellent), the service acceptable (the Cadillac Diner was pretty slow the first few days, but got things straightened out and was one of our favorite places to eat), and it was sort of fun watching all the shipyard workers wandering around in their coveralls finishing the ship. The air conditioning in our cabin quit near the canal zone, so we spent a night on top of the sheets with the balcony door open...

Our Cruise Critic gang, the "Cruising Eagles" met almost daily. We had a great time comparing notes and experiences. The "downstairs restaurants" ran out of lemons, but the buffet had some, so I just went up and got lemons for my tea. It became a running joke.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise Wally. We did, and the majority of the folks with whom we spoke did also. We're already seriously thinking about one of the repo cruises aboard the new Pride of Hawai`i next May. Counting the days alreay till our next adventure.

Donna, you're fast! You posted while I was typing! :) One thing I will add is that this cruise will be different than others you have taken. I read somewhere that it is designed to be a 'floating hotel', and will not give the 'traditional cruise experience'. (It may be that I read this earlier on these boards!) My understanding is that the Hawaii cruises will not have any sea days, that is different. I don't think you will have Bingo either-that is traditionally a sea day activity. The menu set up is different than I have seen on other lines. Most of the menu in the main dining rooms stays the same with a few addtional items each day, and a special item developed by Hawaii's leading chefs. Even with 13 days there were still items I wanted to try, though I must admit I have never eaten so much filet mignon in my life! (It was fantastic!) I even turned it down my last night....

I hope I did not sound like I was disagreeing with Wally; I know that not everyone had the same experience I did, and not all of us had the same as Wally. I really do feel bad for Wally and the others who were disappointed. A cruise is a big investment, and not just in terms of money, The anticipation, the excitement of vacation, the exploring of new ships and places. I really hope that all who follow us on the Pride have as much fun as we did.

Be sure to post when you get back, I'll be anxious to see if you enjoy the ship! Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I don't know everything (Good thing my husband didn't see that..) but am happy to share what I know!

Have fun! Kristy :)

P.S. Hawaii50-That is how we went on our first NCL cruise! We celebrated my parent's 50th anniversary. It was a great way to be together...but not too much! My mom had been ill, and just wanted time with the family. We had family time, and time for her to rest. We always ate together, and my youngest (Almost 16 at the time) liked bringing the new friends he met to see Grandma and Grandpa's 'pad' (They had a penthouse...). It ended up being a great way to vacation with the family! Have fun, and Happy Anniversary to your folks!

I'm not old. Why would you say that? I'm 34. I'll be 35 next month. :confused:

I wish I was as "old" as Cecilia. I can barely remember when I was that age.

Now, moving on to more serious matters. Everyone probably knows that I was one of the harshest critics of Pride of Aloha, so much that I was eventually banned from a cruise message board (but not this quality site) for telling the truth.

However, it may shock you to hear me say that people should give Pride of America a chance. This is a brand new ship ... one of a kind ... and one has to expect some glitches. And frankly, although the OP was very specific in his complaints and I take them seriously, I believe the technical glitches (air conditioning) and food service problems are to be expected on any brand new ship. I'm sailing on Freedom of the Seas in August 2006, two months after she debuts, and I know it won't be perfect.

The Pride of Aloha was completely different story. It was a refurbished ship and in my estimation the glitches on that second-rate cruise were caused by NCL's being unprepared, and their inability to adapt until they got more complaints than compliments.

Back to Pride of America. I have followed this ship from the beginning and she looks like a lovely, classy ship with a great future in Hawaii. The glitches will be worked out ... eventually.

But I will never sail on her or any other NCL ship. You can only scam Dalwhitt once and that's what NCL did when they took my hard-earned cash and put me on Pride of Aloha.

I've taken my money elsewhere ... but I still love reading about Pride of America. After all, I AM proud of America ... just not NCL.

I wish I was as "old" as Cecilia. I can barely remember when I was that age.
I guess that makes you old. :p Just kidding.

Donna...I find myself now praying for you to have a good cruise. Every time I read one of your posts I cross my fingers and say a happy thought for your trip. I feel like you've set yourself up for a bad trip and it shouldn't be that way. Like I said before...I'm not attacking you or saying you've done anything wrong. I just feel sad that you haven't even gone on your cruise and you already feel kind of 50/50 about it. No cruise is ever perfect in my opinion so there's bound to be one or two things that will be annoying. But to read the reviews and set your expectations based on the bad stuff and not on the many good things that have been said also doesn't seem balanced to me. Please don't take my comments to be negative towards you. I don't mean it that way. I don't know why Merion Mom thinks anyone is trying to get you down.

I have a feeling one of the reasons your cruise was so good is that you were part of the cruise critics group; wish I had such a group for my 8/6 sailing. I think the staff gave you guys extra service

I must report that the above statement is not correct. Yes, the CC'ers asked for a chance to have an "official" get-together, and we did receive a few perks, very greatly appreciated. But WE DID NOT RECIEVE ANY SPECIAL OR EXTRA SERVICE! We stood in line at the restaurants like anyone else, we had to make reservations like anyone else, we had to find a seat at the shows like anyone else, we had to deal with the buffet crowding like anyone else, we dealt with the missing menu items like anyone else, we had to deal with lack of facilities for ordinary activities like trivia contests like anyone else, we had air conditioning malfunctions like anyone else, our cabin was made up (or not) the same as for anyone else, our luggage delivered late like anyone else, the list goes on.

Oh yes, this cruise had a huge number of Latitudes members, with more than 40% being repeat cruisers. This was the type of cruise the would appeal to the "veteran", and we met only a few first-time cruisers. I would hope that an experienced cruiser would understand that this was a very different cruise from the expected pattern planned for Hawaii, and was the first time paying passengers were on a brand-new ship. Hopefully their experience would temper the disappointments that would inevitably occur. Personally, we considered this cruise to be an "adventure" and it certainly lived up to that expectation.

The staff did go an extra mile for us CC'ers, with invitations to the Captain's reception, providing VIP tender tickets, and debarkation tags. This is very similar to the kindness showed to us by James Deering on the NCL Star in 2003. For those small perks we are very grateful, and the actions of the staff demonstrate that NCL is very interested in our opinions and suggestions. Don't worry, we took advantage of every opportunity to speak with the Hotel Director, Captain, and so on at all these events. I truly believe that they benefitted from our criticisms and suggestions. But, at the same time, we also feel that these staff members spent time with us, and genuinely enjoyed talking with us, without the onus of "corporate requirements" to be artificially nice.

Bob Swanson

Originally posted by bobnsandi:

Personally, we considered this cruise to be an "adventure" and it certainly lived up to that expectation.

I think that sentence says a lot about the different feelings that wally and bonsandi had about the same cruise. Yes, it is true that on any ship different cruisers will have different experiences. One may have a great room steward while the other has a new room steward just learning the job. One may have excellent wait staff while the other may have a waiter who is having a bad day and fets everything wrong but I think a lot of the feelings about the cruise depend on how the experience meets your expectations.

Lots of people would find a vacation backpacking through the rockies to be heaven but someone who thinks they have booked a 5 star luxury resort would be taken aback if they were given a sleeping bag and back pack and told to camp out in the lobby.

Some of the problem I think come from people who haven't done their homework and understood that, for one thing, this is an American ship and that will make the experience different from the usual and, in addition, that the panama cruise was the first full cruise on a brand new ship and that some glitches should be expected.

On the other hand I can't blame them entirely since from what I've read, NCL is marketing the POA in a way that makes it seem comparable to other cruise ships of the major lines and so it is not hard to see why passengers would expect the same sort of experience.

I guess the best advice is to go with a sense of adventure rather than go looking to be pampered. Now if only we could figure out how to get that message out to everyone before they book we might end up with more satisfied cruisers.

For the past 7 years we have cruised every year and I am a very honest person and had I not read these posts I would have brought wine again. Now that I know their policy etc, I will not bring any on board.

BUT NCL does allow wine to be brought onboard... you just have to pay $15 corkage fee (per bottle)

NCL should be ashamed for charging full fare for this cruise. I felt like I was on a "trial run". This was my seventh cruise and I have never seen a ship and crew less prepared to provide a quality experience.

I did not pay to experience "little inconveniences" or constantly be asked by crew members and the cruise director to be patient. I did not pay for cold food, outages of items on the menu, lack of hot and cold water, ac problems, poor service and poorly cleaned rooms. If I wanted that I could have went to a discount motel and saved a lot of time and money.

When I spend my hard earned money for a quality experience I think that is what I should expect, not overlook obvious problems and lack of performance. Most hotels would gladly refund your money for such an experience or make some attempt at compensation. NCL has to know there were many problems. I am waiting to see how they handle what was obviously a bad situation.

You should have gone on the Maiden voyage of the QM 2. There was nearly a riot because of food problems and it costs much more than NCL A. Any one who has taken a maiden voyage should know you are getting the shakedown cruise. Compensation all anyone on these boards says compensation. Sounds like a class in class action lawsuits.

My husband and I were part of the CC sailing on the POA Panama cruise.

We experienced the same problems allot of other passengers did. Our room had not been cleaned thoroughly before we got there, slow service in the Cadillac Grill, poor service one night in the Skyline restuarant, A/C problems, Electrical problems in our room, Room not cleaned well daily, etc.

I do expect certain things when we have paid for a cruise. We knew that we would experience some difficulties, but this is NOT the first cruise for NCL. Allot of the problems stemed from the part that not enough testing of their systems were done before they took on passengers. NCL still had construction going on as we were cruising. Anything new may have some problems, but to have some of the problems they did have cause me to wonder if the ship just was not prepared accept passengers at that time.

Don't get me wrong, we did have a good time, met wonderful people,( passengers and staff), and enjoyed the ports of call. Was this our best Cruise? No! Yet it is one we will not forget due to the people we met, the things we did and the places we saw.:)

I am a big fan of NCL, freestyle dining and their many round trip cruises out of New York. However, I would be reluctant to sail on a ship entirely staffed by Americans. I doubt if they can provide the same quality of service that we have experienced from the international crew members who served us so well in the past.

We sailed on Pride of Aloha this past May. It was staffed by Americans. We were treated royally. We had a great time. I could not tell any difference between the service on POA and the other cruises we have been on. The staff was very friendly and hard working. We would go again in a minute!

By the way, has Wally made another post or just this one that started all the fuss?

I doubt if they can provide the same quality of service that we have experienced from the international crew members who served us so well in the past.

A agree but I think they can and and will provide a different quality of service then we have experienced from the international crew members who served us so well in the past.

You should have gone on the Maiden voyage of the QM 2. There was nearly a riot because of food problems and it costs much more than NCL

Agreed. Inaugural problems are NOT exclusive to PRIDE OF AMERICA. Almost all ships have some sort of issues with shake down cruises, some more than others. As I mentioned earlier, one-off ship designs such as QM2 and POA are even more difficult because there has been no previous testing ground. It doesn't matter how experienced the crew is, on a one-off ship design there are always going to be never before dealt with issues, and they usually equate to passenger inconvenience.

I feel bad for the OP. People are always excited to be "the first", but it seems they often forget what that entails. The same is true with brand new hotels. Things just don't aways go right. I would avoid the first month or so of any new ship if you want things to be more refined, and the OP's travel agent could have informed him/her of this. I also become suspicious when a members first post is a negative one. If they are so concerned to spread the word "after the fact", maybe they should have been concerned enough to do a little research before hand? Everyone on CC is so knowledgeable that they could have informed the OP what to expect on a shake-down cruise. Too bad and too late now.

Ernie

We sailed on Pride of Aloha this past May. It was staffed by Americans. We were treated royally. We had a great time. I could not tell any difference between the service on POA and the other cruises we have been on. The staff was very friendly and hard working. We would go again in a minute!

This was my experience as well. In fact dare I say the American crew was better! Ok, I'm ducking for cover now! ;)

I chatted with so many crew members on POA and it was great. They all had a story to tell about how they joined the ship, where they were from, etc. If you wanted to chat they were more than willing.

In general, I found the American crew to be the most energetic, attractive, young, spirited, and accommodating of any in recent memory (maybe ever). Things were not always perfect, and I had a very poor cabin stewardess, but almost without question they were all willing to try and do their best. To me that is the most important thing of all. I always give an "A" for effort even if the final outcome is not always perfect.

Ernie

originally posted by stargazers

The menu set up is different than I have seen on other lines. Most of the menu in the main dining rooms stays the same with a few addtional items each day, and a special item developed by Hawaii's leading chefs.

Kristi,

So glad you enjoyed your cruise. :D :D !!!!!

I wanted to mention that I asked about the menu in the main dining rooms, as I had read that on the Aloha, the selections were mostly the same, with different specials appearing each day. Sounds like what you experienced, as well. We were in the Skyline and the waiter said that, once reaching Hawaii, the ship would have a different menu every night, in the traditional manner. I was excited to hear it, cause that's something I really like about cruising:) . I am assuming they will still have the "order any time" items like on the other NCL ships.

originally posted by eroller

In fact dare I say the American crew was better!

In general, I found the American crew to be the most energetic, attractive, young, spirited, and accommodating of any in recent memory (maybe ever). Things were not always perfect, and I had a very poor cabin stewardess, but almost without question they were all willing to try and do their best. To me that is the most important thing of all. I always give an "A" for effort even if the final outcome is not always perfect.

eroller, I couldn't agree more. They knocked my socks off.

I'm sorry your family had a terrible time on the cruise. I booked it not long after the disaster runs of the Pride of Aloha so I definitely knew what I was getting into...and was pleasantly surprised. My CC buds made the trip great! Donna- hang in there. If you can't find anyone to answer your Roll Call for Hawaii, ask the cruise director on the first day to schedule a CC Meeting in a lounge so you can get together. Maybe some "lurkers" will come out of hiding. I knew there would be "bugs" to be worked out and hopefully they will be solved before your cruise. Attitude is everything! Hi Markandrews...bet you are ready for a few "bugs" on the NCL Jewel in August...Have a fantastic time!!!!

Although our cruise on Pride of America is not till next summer, and we're pretty sure that the glitches will have been worked out by then ... we're so excited about seeing the Hawaiian Islands that we won't mind if we have to wait a bit longer for our dinner to be served, or if the server makes a mistake w/ our order :D

Archived