Has anyone taken a South America / Antarctica cruise?

OnTheJourney

Hi,

I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who has taken a South America / Antarctica cruise. I am interested in going and am looking at many different options - small ship / large ship. It appears that with the large ship itineraries at no time is there really an opportunity to actually set foot on Antarctica, unlike the smaller exploration-oriented cruises that utilize the zodiac crafts to go ashore. So if anyone has any insight into this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm also a bit leery of sailing the Drake and so have been seriously considering the companies that offer the option of flying both ways.

Thanks for any input,

Keith

I've done the cruise three times: twice from Rio to Valparaiso, and once from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. All were on HAL ships of the S-class (once), or R-class (twice). None were landings, of course.

I don't feel I missed out on anything not having set foot on the continent of Antarctica. I was able to see, and see very well!, from the scenic cruising distance, and from the height of the various decks. I certainly was able to smell from those locations, too. :eek:

You can cross the Drake "Lake" or the Drake "Shake", but you won't know which one you get until you get there. I've crossed both. I felt the seas---oh! how I felt the seas!---when crossing the "Shake", but forgot it quickly enough as we passed toward the ice and grandeur of Antarctica. To be on a ship that slowed practically to a halt as we cruised by Elephant Island, and be amazed that the explorers were all able to survive there, overwhelmed any memories of the Drake Passage.

I love this cruise, and recommend it to anyone who is considering it.

Now, if actually setting foot on the continent is a deal breaker, then by all means take an expedition ship. But there is no other loss taking a larger ship.

Guest superradiationboy

Yes, large ship over a certain number of passengers (which I forgot the exact number) will not allow landings. It still gets you down to the area, and would probably help you get through the Drake Passage more comfortably. You would sail around the Antarctic Peninsular and get to admire the beautiful scenery. It's unlike anything else on Earth.

We went with Silversea's Silver Explorer. It's an ice-class ship, which allowed us to go pretty much anywhere, even those areas with lots of icebergs. Other than the sail-around sightseeing, with a ice-strengthened hull we also could drive into the ice sheet, we then disembarked and walked around on ice. I called it the third way of getting off the ship without getting wet.

Of course the highlights would be the landings and the zodiac tours around the landing sites. You will get to see penguins and all the animals up close. They aren't afraid of human, so often will come right at your feet and check you out. You can hike up the snow covered hills (if you go early in season) for a better view of the site. There are some historical sites, like Deceptive Island, where you can see the old whaling station and the rusty equipment that used to made whale oil. We also went to some research stations, and met up with the researchers. The Ukrainian station houses the Southern-most bar serving their homemade vodka. The zodiac tours will take you away from the ship/landing site to somewhere more remote, where you can see the animals, and the icebergs. It's so quiet that you can also listen to the unique sound of the icebergs. There are just way too many unforgettable experiences to list here.

The Silver Explorer is very small and does rock and move about even in relatively calm seas. You can only imagine the Drake. I didn't get seasick, but at least half of the ship did.

I also looked at some other expedition vessels in the area, including the fly-cruise-fly option. We decided to go with Silversea because they seemed to be the most comfortable. Our suite was spacious, the amenities were nice, and (though not as excellent as their regular ships) the food was on par with Oceania's, if not sometimes better. Service was also excellent; they knew what I wanted before I told them.

We all had a trip of a lifetime.

Edited by superradiationboy

Tough choices, but many factors to consider in my opinion. In my opinion, key factors include:

1. How much you can afford or want to pay

2. Are you simply there for the scenery or do you want to experience the culture (yes, penguins have cultures - somewhat different for each species.

3. Your physical condition

4.Are you comfortable in a small boat (zodiac) for short distance

5. Are you comfortable cruising on a smaller ship (around 100 passengers maximum) for a few weeks

6. How important is luxury, big time entertainment and almost endless food options to you?

Now many folks I know would agree with RuchC and that is fine. I on the other hand would recommend the smaller ship experience if you can afford it. (I realize and respect the idea that many cannot.) For me, the "up close and personal" experience of the zodiacs where you are "eye to eye" with seals on floating ice slabs and walking among the penguins (seals and other birds) on shore was fascinating and priceless. Also, spending hours cruising around spectacular icebergs - VERY close and from actual sea level cannot be equaled in a regular cruise ship.

Now, one does have to be able to walk in snow, step in and out of the zodiacs, both from the ship and shore, and walk up and down a few stairs, but in terms of getting into and out of the zodiacs, there are at least 4 crew helping ALL passengers, regardless of physical abilities. (Two on the level you are going from and to at the level you are going to.)

If a person elects to go on one of the smaller ships (approx. 100 passengers max.) you can go ashore many times. In at least the parts of Antarctica we visited, the Internationally set limit is 100 people on shore at one time.

For anyone considering a smaller ship experience in Antarctica, and if you have the time and money I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking one of the trips that include time in South Georgia. Now this is a spectacular place, even better than Antarctica in all manners EXCEPT it is not Antarctica. I am going to try to append one or two pictures from South Georgia with this message, but I am not sure I know how to do it. I will try. If I succeed I will send a couple of South Georgia pictures and two from Antarctica. If I succeed with my pictures, the one is our view of the Amsterdam from our zodiac.

Any way you visit Antarctica, it is a fascinating experience.

Well, no luck with the pictures, sorry.

I did the South America/Antarctica itinerary on the Veendam in January 2011 and it was one of the best cruises I've done. I'd go back in a heartbeat. We were blessed with great weather and had no problems crossing the Drake and were also able to tender into the Falkland Islands.

Like Ruth, I did not feel cheated by not stepping foot on land. Everything is so pristine and unspoiled that I really was happy about not doing a landing.

One the things I liked about this cruise was the ports in Argentina and Chile as well as our visit to the Falkland Islands. It was nice to be able to see more of South America than just the departure port.

However you want to do it, small ship/large ship or landing/no landing, I really do encourage you to visit Antarctica. It is truly stunning and I still have a hard time believing I got to go there even when looking at the pictures.

Enjoy it!

Debbie

We cruised to Antarctica on the Prinsendam last year and loved the experience. No landings, but lots of scenic cruising past research stations, icebergs and penguin colonies. For a closer view of penguins, land excursions in the Falklands and other areas were great. Seas were relatively calm that voyage with no seasickness - for us.

My sister-in-law went on an expedition type ship a few years ago - with Antarctic shore stops. It would have been beyond my walking abilities.

On HAL we had great guest lecturers from the research stations.

Either way - wonderful trip

Hi,

I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who has taken a South America / Antarctica cruise. I am interested in going and am looking at many different options - small ship / large ship. It appears that with the large ship itineraries at no time is there really an opportunity to actually set foot on Antarctica, unlike the smaller exploration-oriented cruises that utilize the zodiac crafts to go ashore. So if anyone has any insight into this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm also a bit leery of sailing the Drake and so have been seriously considering the companies that offer the option of flying both ways.

Thanks for any input,

Keith

Let me give you an analogy.

You visit England and cruise up the Thames on a larger ship and cruise by stuff like the Tower but you do not actually get off the ship to see anything. That is a large ship cruise. The advantage is that the cost is less and you get to see shows on the trip as you cruise up the Thames.

Option 2. Smaller ship. sometimes more rocking because it does not have stabilizers. No shows. Significantly more expensive. However you have the chance to get off the ship and see the sights of London. This is the small ship option.

I know what I would do as I have already done option 2.

Hope this helps.

DON

Guest superradiationboy
Tough choices, but many factors to consider in my opinion. In my opinion, key factors include:

1. How much you can afford or want to pay

2. Are you simply there for the scenery or do you want to experience the culture (yes, penguins have cultures - somewhat different for each species.

3. Your physical condition

4.Are you comfortable in a small boat (zodiac) for short distance

5. Are you comfortable cruising on a smaller ship (around 100 passengers maximum) for a few weeks

6. How important is luxury, big time entertainment and almost endless food options to you?

Completely agree with your list of considerations. In fact, those were the same things we thought about before we booked our trip.

Our friends at first thought that all the expedition ships would be rather basic, until they boarded the Silver Explorer with us. There is 24 hours room service, served by the butler like on their regular ships, which was good as the sun almost never set and we stayed up late. Pretty much they offered a similar experience and amenities as on their regular ships, but on a smaller scale - mid-morning bouillon, afternoon tea with loose tea, pre-dinner canapes, caviar, wine and cocktails, Frette linen, Bvlgari toiletries, marbled bathroom with full tub, nearly 1 staff per guest... etc. So if you are looking for something luxurious, there is such a product out there.

I have yet to take this cruise but these are my feelings. My DH and I are going on an excursion to the Galapagos this spring and plan to do an Antarctica cruise late in 2015 or early 2016. We will take excursion cruises for as long as we can, while we can. (We are in our early 50's) We want to get up close with the wonders of this world and not see them from afar if we are able. At some point mobility issues may change our point of view and we will be content to see bits of the world from the deck of a ship but for now I want to step foot on land. :)

You mentioned Antarctica and South America. The HAL trip does include some ports in Chile and Argentina, a chance at the Falklands United States if all goes well. The Chilean Fiords are fabulous and so is Glacier Alley. Something to consider if it enters into your equation. We had several days prior to Antarctica that were great scenic cruising days.

Antarctica was absolutely magnificent. I would do it again in a heartbeat. DH opted out but Whenhe saw the pictures and started to hear about it he said he could be talked into it. If so, we'd likely do HAL- because DH gets sea sick. Some of the expedition ships sound interesting to me, but the cost is prohibitive.

A friend did Clelia a few years back and was on the trip after she got slammed. Part of the KBYG included an agreement that if Drake got wild they would agree to be strapped into bunks with wearing survival gear and only use the head with crew assistance.

We have been around the horn on the Norwegian Sun from BA to Valp'o. That itin did not include a close pass of Antartica BUT there were ship day excursions from either Ushuia or P.Arenas (fly-in fly-out) to allow one to set foot on the continent and explore. As we didn't do this I can't tell you exactly how expensive the fly-in fly-out excursions were but I can tell you it was substantial!

Did So America and Antarctica on the Prinsedam earlier this year. Being a smaller ship (about 800 passengers max) she could get more into the bays, etc. Did not set foot on land but our sailing was magnificient. Dropped off several researchers who paid part of their passage with lectures on whale tagging and behaviors, then picked up a few who lectured about life their from living to research. The ship's lecturers were amazing such as the head of the New Zealand research station who talked all day while cruising along with a naturalist who did nothing but announce sightings - sea lions at 9:00. The ice berg with 5 penguins that drifted maybe 5 feet from the ship was a dream come true. Saw ice bergs big enough that they were landing planes on them. As the ship has stabilizers, Drake crossing was mostly uneventful and I get sea sick but had minimal problems. Plus the luxury of HAL was wonderful especially the hot soup served deck side.

Only downsides: no setting foot (they brought chunks of ice bergs on board) so was a bit jealous of the expedition ships with a deck full of zodiacs and we did not have enough fuel to go to the 'far side' to se emperor penguins.

We did South America / Antarctica this year on Veendam and it was absolutely amazing. We has enormous luck with the weather (gorgeous from begin to end), made all ports and Antarctica ....there are no words to describe it. I think back on this adventure so often and find it hard to believe that 10 months ago I was actually there.

Wonderful simply wonderful. I have no idea how the expedition ship experience is. I would have loved to actually set foot on Antarctica but what we have seen was amazing as well.

if you would like a sneak preview, you can have a look at this (you can click to parts 5 and 6, those are Antarctica, make sure to set the view quality higher for each part, 720p is good), maybe that helps a bit :) :

or, downloadable from VIMEO: https://vimeo.com/channels/insesa2013

We did South America / Antarctica this year on Veendam and it was absolutely amazing. We has enormous luck with the weather (gorgeous from begin to end), made all ports and Antarctica ....there are no words to describe it. I think back on this adventure so often and find it hard to believe that 10 months ago I was actually there.

Wonderful simply wonderful. I have no idea how the expedition ship experience is. I would have loved to actually set foot on Antarctica but what we have seen was amazing as well.

if you would like a sneak preview, you can have a look at this (you can click to parts 5 and 6, those are Antarctica, make sure to set the view quality higher for each part, 720p is good), maybe that helps a bit :) :

Thanks for sharing!!

We have cruised South America twice .. First time was on the Amsterdam From Rio to Santiago in 2003 & loved the trip.. Did not get into Antarctica that time & said one day we would like to do it.. However, we were able to walk within a few feet of penguins on the Falklands & loved the scenery sailing around the Horn.. My DH & our Friends DH were disappointed only because the waters were absolutely calm sailing around the Horn.. We are all Sailboater's & our DH's love it when the seas are up!:D

This past Jan. we had the opportunity to sail on the Prinsendam Round trip out of Ft. Lauderdale.. Antarctica was truly amazing to us.. As "take us away" mentioned the lectures were outstanding & the scenery was awesome..

In addition our ship went up the Amazon which is also a truly amazing area.. We had done the Amazon twice before & we were getting a bit homesick for the third time.. However, if you have never done that trip, it too is an exciting experience.. Our favorite time in the Amazon was spending time with the children in Boca da Valeria & giving them small gifts.. They close the schools & the children come to meet the ships from miles around..Also seeing the beautiful show in Parentins for the third time was fantastic, if it was only to see the beautiful costumes.. The show has been different each time we have been in the Amazon..Unfortunately, most of the ports in the Amazon have become more commercialized, since 2003.:(

Since my Hip replacement , realize that I can't walk the long distances any more, so the Prinsendam was perfect for us.. IMO the crew & service on the Prinsendam is the best of the HAL fleet!

If we were much younger & could have afforded it, we probably would have opted for flying into SA & taking one of the smaller cruises which actually allow you to land on Antarctica too!

I'm retired from the International Airline Industry & had spent some time in large cities in SA before our cruises but had never been to these out of the way places before... Agree with all the points that "Wander" made.. Don't think you will disappointed in whatever way you choose to see SA & Antarctica..

Cheers..Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

If you are physically able and can afford it do the landings on Antarctica. We did it several years ago on the "Marco Polo" with 100 passengers going ashore in zodiacs with several landings. Saw thousands of penguins "up close and personal"--they do come right up to you and of course they have there own delightful smell! The Drake passage was a wonderful Lake for us (thankfully!) Our cruise was from Buenos Aires to Ushuia then Antarctica to Falklands and back to Buenos Aires. Definitely a trip of a lifetime. Great to have walked on all the continents!!

Monina.. Your video's are incredible..

Unfortunately, I only have a few pics in my camera, as DH's camera was no where to be found just 2 days before our trip.. So only took a few pics with my little camera..

I've been trying to log into your video but can only get part 4 to 8..Would you care to share the other parts with us?

Our Grandkids & great grandkids will be down here in two weeks & would love to share your video's with them..

If you don't want to put the info on-line, would you be willing to e-mail me with it.. Serendipity1499 @ Yahoo.com (no open spaces)

Thank you so much ! Your video's are so beautiful..

Betty

Monina.. Your video's are incredible..

Unfortunately, I only have a few pics in my camera, as DH's camera was no where to be found just 2 days before our trip.. So only took a few pics with my little camera..

I've been trying to log into your video but can only get part 4 to 8..Would you care to share the other parts with us?

Our Grandkids & great grandkids will be down here in two weeks & would love to share your video's with them..

If you don't want to put the info on-line, would you be willing to e-mail me with it.. Serendipity1499 @ Yahoo.com (no open spaces)

Thank you so much ! Your video's are so beautiful..

Betty

Hi Betty, thank you so much, I am happy you liked it and I hope I have been able to help you re-live your experience in that amazing part of the world.

I think I mentioned on your Prinsendam roll call that we actually saw the Prinsendam; this was when Veendam and Prinsendam passed each other between the Falklands and Antarctica. That was such a memorable experience.

No mystery about the other parts of my slideshow; I am still working on them :). It is a lot of work and I have to work on them in the evening and weekends. Also I had to do an Istanbul video in between (turned out amazing). I started with the parts I knew most people wanted to see the most, that is why you have only 4 to 8 right now :D

I am now actually putting the finishing touches on Part 9 (Chacabuco & Chilean Fjords), I'll be posting that sometime this weekend. Then on to either Iguazu or Puerto Montt (I have not quite decided which to do first).

Edit: if you like I can send you an email when I have part 9 posted, no problem at all.

Edited by monina01

Wow! Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. I believe the options I would pursue, based on everything I've been reading, is to either fly both ways if doing a small expedition ship or to do a cruise or cruisetour (Celebrity, Collette, Tauck, HAL) if opting for the large ship experience. What I won't take a chance on is to sail the Drake on a smaller ship - that just seems to be too much of an invitation to spend several days feeling sick. Paying for the smaller expedition ship experience is not an issue. I truly appreciate ALL the replies. Now all I need to do is to find someone here who has flown the Drake and find out what it was like. I know someone in one of my threads mentioned that he'd be more scared of flying the Drake than sailing across it!

Regards,

Keith

Edited by three4rd

Here is my review of our Antarctica adventure on the Infinity 2010. The drive by was exciting enough for us , lol. I must admit I was humbled by the forces of nature and abrupt weather changes possible in this region. Amazing experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1146082&highlight=antarctica+review

Hi Betty, thank you so much, I am happy you liked it and I hope I have been able to help you re-live your experience in that amazing part of the world.

I think I mentioned on your Prinsendam roll call that we actually saw the Prinsendam; this was when Veendam and Prinsendam passed each other between the Falklands and Antarctica. That was such a memorable experience.

No mystery about the other parts of my slideshow; I am still working on them :). It is a lot of work and I have to work on them in the evening and weekends. Also I had to do an Istanbul video in between (turned out amazing). I started with the parts I knew most people wanted to see the most, that is why you have only 4 to 8 right now :D

I am now actually putting the finishing touches on Part 9 (Chacabuco & Chilean Fjords), I'll be posting that sometime this weekend. Then on to either Iguazu or Puerto Montt (I have not quite decided which to do first).

Edit: if you like I can send you an email when I have part 9 posted, no problem at all.

Thank you so much I would be delighted to view your videos as you finish them.. Please do send me an e-mail...Years ago we booked a train excursion on the American Orient Express out to the West Coast from a video shown on PBS..That too was an incredible trip!.. Your video's are equally fantastic..

When the little ones get here, I will be so happy to show them where Papa & I have been, but I'll be sure to tell them that I did not take the videos.. When you have others done I'll e-mail them with the info..

Perhaps one or more of them will get the travel bug & go into the travel field when they grow up.. Not much money in the travel business, but I treasure my wonderful experiences..

I remember when the Prinsendam & Veedam passed each other..We were in the Library & rushed outside to see you passing by when our Capt. made the announcement ..

Thanks again..Betty