tipping

nana by 2

We have never taken a cruise- always visited islands one at a time in condos or timeshares or stayed in homes/apts in Europe and USA (we are Canadian)

My question

Since I assuming your cabin has the same person attending to your cabin- do you tip at the beginning or end if trip?

On a island I tip daily as maid service may change.

Is it better to tip at the beginning to assure good service or wait to see the service you receive and then service ....or...

tip daily

Thanks for your assistance

Robin:)

HELP !!!!

If tips are added to your account...leave it be, and don't worry about it.

On cruises, tips are handed out at the END of the cruise. On RCI, they now charge your account for the tips, so you need do nothing at all. Only room service delivery is NOT included...so if you utilize that option, tip in cash at time of delivery...$1-5 is about right, depending on how much they bring you!

Thank you for all the answers. We have pre paid our tips, so I guess I will leave it at that and if our room service is amazing I will leave something extra at the end of the cruise.

Thanks again:)

Have a wonderful first cruise, and be prepared to be AMAZED in this area and in all areas.:)

Happy sails, and Merry Christmas.

Kathy

As others have said, your tips are already paid for. The staff gets notification so they know you are not "stiffing" them. If you feel they did a great job (and most of us feel that way), adding some cash at the end is gratefully appreciated. If not, then don't. We are some of the few who tip our Cabin Steward on day 1. I slip him/her a $20 and ask that we have ice in the room, etc. I don't know if it helps service or not, as we always got great service before, but since we started to do this, our Cabin Stewards have always gone above and beyond for us and always with a smile.

As others have said, your tips are already paid for. The staff gets notification so they know you are not "stiffing" them. If you feel they did a great job (and most of us feel that way), adding some cash at the end is gratefully appreciated. If not, then don't. We are some of the few who tip our Cabin Steward on day 1. I slip him/her a $20 and ask that we have ice in the room, etc. I don't know if it helps service or not, as we always got great service before, but since we started to do this, our Cabin Stewards have always gone above and beyond for us and always with a smile.

I have always slipped the Cabin Steward a $20 on day 1 when I first meet them. They have never disappointed me with constant ice, cleaning when I need it or anything. $20 isn't going to make or break you. If you feel that they didn't fulfill your expectations, remove it at the end.

We will be on the Jewel in September 2014 for our 5th SALUTE TO VETERANS CRUISE:D

. If you feel that they didn't fulfill your expectations, remove it at the end.

That can easily become a false justfication for stiffing the staff.

If they don't fulfill your expectations raise the issue BEFORE the end of the cruise.

FYI, if you prepay tips they cannot be removed.

Sorry...incorrect - they certainly can be removed once on board. Actually we were in a GS, had a big problem in the dining room - our Concierge actually removed them - which I as reluctant to do since I had never done this before - I had to sign stating it was OK - I then went ahead and tipped everyone in cash - including the staff in Portofino's where we ended up eating the net 5 nights of the cruise. When we got home there was a credit to my credit card for the prepaid tips.