LIVE from Royal Princes. 12/22!

CruisinChris

Where is everyone on this cruise???

Is anyone staying on another week? I have the most beautiful flower arrangement and if I leave it, I'm sure they will toss it. It should last another week. I think I mentioned but suites are not getting the fresh flowers. We just got two plants and a couple stems of flowers. Not pretty at all.

Formal night and it was lobster night. I really don't care for the taste. The prawns were wonderful. We went down at 8:30 and the MDR was packed. On other ships, it is dead at that time.

There are going to be 100 more people on the cruise Sunday than we have and it is at max. Sounds like lots of kids again. Always thought about doing a new Years cruise but maybe not. We have not run into many kids. Have seen some very well behaved one. There are two inside cabins down from us with four kids in each and they are wild - running and yelling down the halls. They throw dirty towels and other used things out into the hall. Have never seen a parent around at all.

I really am sick of eating. We even skipped dessert tonight and at lunch. We don't eat this much at home and I really don't like the feeling of being full all the time.

The guys wanted to come back and watch the Texas Bowl. Another night of no shows but I really don't care. Trying to figure out why I am so tired - other than our diving, we haven't done anything to wear us out. First cruise we haven't walked but I don't care for the running track. The lane for walking was full of people wondering the wrong way when we walked up there the second day. And no swimming. Gee - this may be the first cruise I gain weight.

The guys are going on the Ships Tour tomorrow. Wanted to sleep in our last day but the tour is at 8:20. Glad I decided we didn't have suitcase space for three robes.

29 seconds left - Rats - hope Minnesota can score.

Thank you Compozer for keeping up the live thread. I hope you have a nice last day on board.

Thank you very much.

I have been trying to get connected all morning. I needed to add more minutes and my only choices are 15 minutes or pay by the minute. All the plans have disappeared. Just returned from the café and there is such a long line, I turned around. Everyone and their uncle is trying to use it. I know everyone wants to get their boarding passes printed but there are many unhappy campers.

Looks like a beautiful day at sea. I need to get all our clothes folded and ready to pack before I can go play. There is another Pub Lunch today although I think the fish in the Horizon Court is just as good and you don't have to stand in line.

I better go - hate to clog up the system for someone wanting their flight info.

Have a great day.

Sandy,

Thanks for taking us along this week. Sounds like overall you had a good week. Nothing is perfect but the important thing is you're on vacation and you're warm. :)

Enjoy your last day!

PS: that did remind me that the internet café size was a joke. Glad I always bring my laptop!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Forums mobile app

Hi Sandy:

How was their ship tour? Was curious to hear how they liked it and if they got any scoop on the soot or anything else. I know they have waited a long time for a tour on the ship and I do hope it was worth the wait.

It has been fun reading your posts and thoughts on the cruise. So sorry about the soot. It may be sometime before that gets solved. Glad the next time you are on the ship it won't be in a cabin with soot.

I look forward to our next cruise with not having to print out boarding passes that last day. Being able to get off and go to the car and drive back to the apt. here will be nice. I bought my air the other day when it dropped back down for March.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow heading home. Sorry we are so close right now and can't see you.

Hi All. Sorry for not posting...it has literally been impossible to do anything in the internet this week. I see TONS of the 1000 kids on board with their noses in phones or other devices. I suppose the amount of bandwidth being used is unexpectedly high.

I will write a full report over the next few days. For most part, I have nothing but positive things to say about the Royal. Some of things I know are of more immediate interest:

-Can't comment on the soot issue definitively, but my observations of the flow of exhaust from the stack would lead me to believe that issue has not been corrected.

-the balcony is smaller than we're used to but totally functional. We did a balcony dinner and it worked just fine. THere was room to pass the table, no issue.

-Elevators haven't seemed to operate any differently to me than on any other ship. There hasn't been any excessive waiting or anything like that. They are smaller than standard (the glass ones are the same size). THey are rated for 18 passengers but there's not way to get 18 in. Average load full is about a dozen to 14 people. We are in the 520's just aft of the mid-ship elevators. This location has been extremely convenient to everything.

-Chef has acquired something new in the galley which allows them to get a great sear on the beef. The fillets we had as part of the balcony dinner were hands down the best beef I've had on the ship, with a fantastic sear. I spoke to Chef Sean afterward and he acknowledged the new equipment. Across the board, the food has been above par.

-I don't love the new Horizon Court. That said, it's been very busy but the ship is at max capacity with 1000 kids. Crazy town. A regular cruise might make it easier to navigate.

-the main pool is a crazy zoo. Again, soooo many kids and sooo many people needing to be where the kids are. We are grateful to have been able to get Sanctuary. The Retreat pool is a nice calm oasis. If you can't get Sanctuary it is a decent alternative. When it was very windy out (50mph) plus winds over the ship underway, that area was very windy. Our last two seas days haven't had those winds and the area is very comfortable. The cabanas have all been rented there, as well as in the Sanctuary. The latter were rented by the same folks for the whole week. Someone did the $1500 Indulgence Cabana experience yesterday in one of the treatment rooms in the Sanctuary. More on that later. One nice new thing in Sanctuary - there are two restrooms within the facility.

I'll write more details later. I am reminded this afternoon why I hate and rarely do 7 days - just not enough time.

Susan, thanks for asking about the guys and their tour. Mike has gone a couple times and Mac has been invited to the bridge but last time when we were with you, they canceled the tour because of Noro. It was all men so not many questions in the galley and laundry but lots about navigation, etc. The captain had to leave for a discipline meeting. Seems that two new crew members took a Christmas tree and tried to get it into their cabin but they got caught on the cameras. And it was too tall! They did put it back. The captain laughed and said they are usually very strict about stealing but since it is the holiday season and they are new, he was only going to slap their fingers.

There are many new security measures on the ship. I’d probably get them mixed up telling it second hand but the guys are always interested in that stuff because of our boat. The Allure is on our port ahead of us and there is another ship following us. It is always so confusing to guess distances at sea. I figured the ship was five miles behind us. Someone on the tour asked and they checked the GPS and they are 15 miles back.

We had another rain shower two hours ago so it is real overcast. The captain announced at noon that there was a front ahead of us but he was going to try to steer away from it. The kids are getting restless and running thru the halls like mad.

We did the Crown Grill again. I think the steak was better than the first night and the lobster was so sweet - loved it.

Just looked outside - there are six ships around us. I suppose a couple will go to Miami. Busy day tomorrow.

Now to finish packing - yuck!

Wendy – take care.

-Elevators haven't seemed to operate any differently to me than on any other ship. There hasn't been any excessive waiting or anything like that. They are smaller than standard (the glass ones are the same size). THey are rated for 18 passengers but there's not way to get 18 in. Average load full is about a dozen to 14 people. We are in the 520's just aft of the mid-ship elevators. This location has been extremely convenient to everything.

THANKS Chris for the insight. Interesting, your personal observations on the elevators. I agree that 18 people would never fit in there at the same time, but there were times people sure tried. ;)

One note on the internet and the bandwidth. There were at different times quite a few people trying to make video phone calls, or using Skype, to call home, and always sitting in or around the Internet Cafe. I never had an issue accessing the internet with my iPhone even from my cabin, but I imagine with all of the video gamers and bandwidth hogs it really slows down those who just want to email home.

I second that 7 days is too short. We are waiting until 10:30 to leave. With so many ships in, we figured the airport will be a mad house. I remember waiting outside for 45 minutes so figure the later we get there the better. All you lucky Florida people that don't need to fly out. Maybe someday.

We are coming back to the Royal in a month but are sad that several of our favorite crew members will be gone. But I am happy that they can be with their families. Crew has been wonderful.

Safe travels to everyone on your way home.

Happy New Years

Hi Sandy,

Welcome home! I waved to you an hour ago when I picked Dwight and Celeste up. They said they didn't see you :(

I will never book a Christmas week cruise based on the kids! I don't envy your week....When I was on the royal at thanksgiving there weren't nearly as many and hardly saw or heard them.

I hope you enjoy your next cruise more and hopefully we'll find ourselves on the same one in the future :)

Safe travels home!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Sandy:

Thank you for taking us along with you and your family this week. It has been fun reading your posts here about the cruise and what the ship had to offer. Appreciate your insights on it all.

Wish we could see you today. I think about how close we are right now. Truly, I have no desire to live here to be close to the ships. It is another world! At least in this area where her apartment is.

Have a safe trip home.

Susan

Hi All. Sorry for not posting...it has literally been impossible to do anything in the internet this week. I see TONS of the 1000 kids on board with their noses in phones or other devices. I suppose the amount of bandwidth being used is unexpectedly high.

I will write a full report over the next few days. For most part' date=' I have nothing but positive things to say about the Royal. Some of things I know are of more immediate interest:

-Can't comment on the soot issue definitively, but my observations of the flow of exhaust from the stack would lead me to believe that issue has not been corrected.

-the balcony is smaller than we're used to but totally functional. We did a balcony dinner and it worked just fine. THere was room to pass the table, no issue.

-Chef has acquired something new in the galley which allows them to get a great sear on the beef. The fillets we had as part of the balcony dinner were hands down the best beef I've had on the ship, with a fantastic sear. I spoke to Chef Sean afterward and he acknowledged the new equipment. Across the board, the food has been above par.

-I don't love the new Horizon Court. That said, it's been very busy but the ship is at max capacity with 1000 kids. Crazy town. A regular cruise might make it easier to navigate.

-the main pool is a crazy zoo. Again, soooo many kids and sooo many people needing to be where the kids are. We are grateful to have been able to get Sanctuary. The Retreat pool is a nice calm oasis. If you can't get Sanctuary it is a decent alternative. When it was very windy out (50mph) plus winds over the ship underway, that area was very windy. Our last two seas days haven't had those winds and the area is very comfortable. The cabanas have all been rented there, as well as in the Sanctuary. The latter were rented by the same folks for the whole week. Someone did the $1500 Indulgence Cabana experience yesterday in one of the treatment rooms in the Sanctuary. More on that later. One nice new thing in Sanctuary - there are two restrooms within the facility.

I'll write more details later. I am reminded this afternoon why I hate and rarely do 7 days - just not enough time.[/quote']

Thanks for reporting in. Safe travels home.....:):):)

Bob

I will write a full report over the next few days. For most part' date=' I have nothing but positive things to say about the Royal. Some of things I know are of more immediate interest:

I'll write more details later. I am reminded this afternoon why I hate and rarely do 7 days - just not enough time.[/quote']

Thanks for checking back to let us know how your cruise was going.:D

composer...thanks for your input. I hope your next cruise will be better.:)

What a wait for a taxi - almost a hour in line. We left the ship at 10:15 so maybe early would have been better but our flight isn't til 2:00.

It has been delayed - not weather but traffic controllers here in FLL. Not a big deal.

I am looking forward to our next cruise on the Royal. So glad we will be midship for a smooth ride besides no ash. The stern has really been rough on this trip. The last two nights had so much vibration that I couldn't get to sleep. Now that I think about it, it did it every night but the ones I took an Ambien. There is always some back there but the Royal seems much worse. Anyone else notice it?

Only a hour left. Hope we can get the Packer game on the Internet.

Take care.

Sandy

What a wait for a taxi - almost a hour in line. We left the ship at 10:15 so maybe early would have been better but our flight isn't til 2:00.

It has been delayed - not weather but traffic controllers here in FLL. Not a big deal.

I am looking forward to our next cruise on the Royal. So glad we will be midship for a smooth ride besides no ash. The stern has really been rough on this trip. The last two nights had so much vibration that I couldn't get to sleep. Now that I think about it, it did it every night but the ones I took an Ambien. There is always some back there but the Royal seems much worse. Anyone else notice it?

Take care.

Sandy

Safe travels home Sandy.....:):):)

Bob

I don't know about aft but during a Med/TA we were midship in D508 & rarely felt any motion so hopefully you'll have a smoother experience during your next Royal cruise.

I wouldn't blame the internet on the tons of kids. We were on the TA for 18 days with no kids & it was impossible to get on. Worst internet we have ever had on a ship.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Plane just pulled up so not much longer.

Can't wait to get home and see our kitties.

Found a new older one two months ago - hope he did ok at the kennel. The other three will just be pissed at us for a while. Need to get some pictures of those nasty looking faces.

Bye for now

I wouldn't blame the internet on the tons of kids. We were on the TA for 18 days with no kids & it was impossible to get on. Worst internet we have ever had on a ship.

Never had any log-in issues the two weeks I was aboard, even from my stateroom. It worked well enough to down load a lot of pictures to Flickr from my iPhone while still doing several updates a day.

I've read that others on our cruise had your poor experience & guess I was lucky because access on my iPhone anywhere onboard was noticeably better than on other Princess ships.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Take care.

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Thank you so much again for your great insight and honest opinions of features on the Royal. It helped us to mentally prepare for our trip in just two weeks!

We hope you got home safe and sound - prepare yourself for some seriously cold weather. As in double digit negative degrees with windchill. Welcome home ;)

Packers/Bears game is TIGHT, but I think we've got this. GO PACK.