Rhapsody - man overboard

Rhapsody of the Seas is currently about 490 km from Noumea on a 9 day cruise, Sydney -Sydney, 19-28 December.

My theory as a retired NSW Walloper of 35 years is 'Detectives from NSW Police Maritime Local Area Command will fly to Noumea and commence to investigate the incident by interviewing any witness, including pax and crew and prepare a report for the NSW Coroner, as it would appear the incident occurred off the NSW coast. Yes, it could be a crime scene, who knows. Falling, pushed, suicide, who knows? Yes, a tragic incident, like they all are.

Correction, the incident probably occurred off Qld coast, in which case Qld Pol could be involved.

Correction, the incident probably occurred off Qld coast, in which case Qld Pol could be involved.

I was going to say you are most likely right except for the NSW coast, however, as they return to Sydney it may be a joint operation on the investigation. Sad for all concerned.:(

I was going to say you are most likely right except for the NSW coast, however, as they return to Sydney it may be a joint operation on the investigation. Sad for all concerned.:(

Agreed Mic, these cruise deaths whatever the cause are a 'touchy subject' these days. The Ship's Chief Security Officer has certain investigative protocols to observe.

I feel for the family.

Merry Christmas to you, there will be no body left in Canberra soon, they are all down here, holidaying, visiting family, as you would know.

Edited by NSWP

When I cruised VOS on the outside deck just under the lifeboats the rail had gates that swug out, but more so the railing was quite low.

Sky larking with alcohol involved could easily cause an accidental overboard on this deck in my opinion.

Most over boards are intentional i realise but not all over boards are!

Even pushing the boundaries by climbing the rail then going over is an accidental man overboard thus a fall not an intent to suicide.

Pretty sure they would not be doing maintenance at 1am in the morning if there was a risk of falling overboard.

If you ever sailed Pacific Sun you must be a very heavy sleeper:D:D:D

P&O do maintenance any time and all times day and night!

Tracey awoke semi naked in our Pacific Sun Cabin on a Bali cruise close to midnight to a plumber who let himself in un announced to fix a blocked sink that wasnt blocked!

P&O,s excuse from head office? He was doing a routine maintenance job that he had no time for during daylight hours! lol

Agreed Mic, these cruise deaths whatever the cause are a 'touchy subject' these days. The Ship's Chief Security Officer has certain investigative protocols to observe.

I feel for the family.

Merry Christmas to you, there will be no body left in Canberra soon, they are all down here, holidaying, visiting family, as you would know.

Cheers, same to you. The roads and shops are quiet already.:D

The cruise tracker website has ROS sitting at the dock in Noumea. Logistical nightmare trying to return early given how busy the Sydney terminal is near Christmas. At least from Noumea the family can fly home but it's a sad Christmas ahead for them.

Yes, but then anytime of year would be a bad time when these things occur. It is always a shock and people then speculate as to why.

Yes, but then anytime of year would be a bad time when these things occur. It is always a shock and people then speculate as to why.

Of course.

But when everyone else and the media focuses on Christmas cheer, Carols being sung, decorations yada yada, then this time will always be associated with the death of their loved one.

My theory as a retired NSW Walloper of 35 years

I haven't heard that term used for years! I remember my Dad using it when I was growing up in the 50's & 60's. Thanks for the memories, unfortunately there will be many with sad memories this Christmas. We have very recently enjoyed the same cruise on the Rhapsody in November and are booked for another 10 night one like it on her in March next. I think we need to discount most of what the media and rumor mills present and wait for the Coroner's report! Sympathy to all closely involved with this terrible incident.

Phil

Of course.

But when everyone else and the media focuses on Christmas cheer, Carols being sung, decorations yada yada, then this time will always be associated with the death of their loved one.

Yes, there will be definitely more reminders/memory triggers around this time of year.

Reportedly it was 550km off the QLD coast; would that far out still be in QLD jurisdiction? In North America for anything that far out, jurisdiction would revert to some combination of flag of the ship (in this case Bahamas I think), last port of call and domicile of the deceased.

KarateMan, it is possible to 'fall off' a cruise ship; why someone does fall is the difference. If someone is fooling around, slips and falls, that is still 'falling off'. If someone climbing on a railing to retrieve an item and falls, likewise. I think your intention is to point out that people do not simply trip over something and fall off a cruise ship but technically a person can accidentally fall off.

I agree, of course it's possible to fall off a ship.

Reportedly it was 550km off the QLD coast; would that far out still be in QLD jurisdiction? In North America for anything that far out, jurisdiction would revert to some combination of flag of the ship (in this case Bahamas I think), last port of call and domicile of the deceased.

I think you are right there as the exclusive economic exclusion zone is typically 200 nautical miles which is well out of range of the man over board.

I think jurisdiction falls to the state of departure. As with planes from recollection you are under the jurisdiction of the departing port until arrival in your next port.

Whitemarsh Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussieflyer View Post

KarateMan, it is possible to 'fall off' a cruise ship; why someone does fall is the difference. If someone is fooling around, slips and falls, that is still 'falling off'. If someone climbing on a railing to retrieve an item and falls, likewise. I think your intention is to point out that people do not simply trip over something and fall off a cruise ship but technically a person can accidentally fall off.

I agree, of course it's possible to fall off a ship.

It is impossible to fall off a ship under any innocent ordinary circumstance. When you are fooling around and skylarking you have crossed the line from and a slip and fall whilst fooling around should be treated as a "jumper" perhaps even suicidal or deliberate negligence. The fall whilst skylarking certainly did not occur under ordinary day to day circumstances.

In effect if you go out looking for trouble it will be sure to bite you on the bum when you least expect it.

We are just arguing words here :) -- but words do have different meanings to different people, who apply different connotations to them and take different inferences.

In this case, I would prefer to use the words "went overboard" -- how he "went" we don't know. He may have fallen or he may have been thrown or jumped (in which case, he also fell :) ) Falling is about the only way one can get from a ships upper deck into the sea (although I guess that one could "dive" ). -- any other suitable words out there???

Barry

The terms "normal" and "reasonable" behaviour or actions are key words in "overboard" incidents. We may ask what is "normal" and what is "reasonable"

I suggest that if behaviour or actions are beyond how 99.5% (or less) of "normal" and "Reasonable" passengers conduct themselves then that constitutes abnormal and unreasonable actions and/or behaviour.

It could be accidental that someone falls overboard but what leads up to the "accident" comes back to what is "normal" and "Reasonable".

All very technical but it forms the conclusion that you do not fall overboard if you are acting reasonably and normally.

John

We are just arguing words here :) -- but words do have different meanings to different people, who apply different connotations to them and take different inferences.

In this case, I would prefer to use the words "went overboard" -- how he "went" we don't know. He may have fallen or he may have been thrown or jumped (in which case, he also fell :) ) Falling is about the only way one can get from a ships upper deck into the sea (although I guess that one could "dive" ). -- any other suitable words out there???

Barry

Dropped, Plummetted, Jetisonned?:eek:

The terms "normal" and "reasonable" behaviour or actions are key words in "overboard" incidents. We may ask what is "normal" and what is "reasonable"

I suggest that if behaviour or actions are beyond how 99.5% (or less) of "normal" and "Reasonable" passengers conduct themselves then that constitutes abnormal and unreasonable actions and/or behaviour.

It could be accidental that someone falls overboard but what leads up to the "accident" comes back to what is "normal" and "Reasonable".

All very technical but it forms the conclusion that you do not fall overboard if you are acting reasonably and normally.

John

Well stated, while someone may have fallen off, they must have had certain circumstances to get into that position to fall. These are not normal or reasonable. No matter how it happened, the family will not be comforted as he is still departed.

Ship departed from Sydney, New South Wales and returns there. So investigative responsibility lies with NSW Police, but could be a joint one.

My opinion anyway.