Rhapsody - man overboard

The semantics about "fell off" are starting to sound a little like the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch. :(

For those concerned it does not matter what word is used, the passenger has died in tragic circumstances and it really doesn't matter what actions, if any, he took that may have led to him ending up in the water.

The semantics about "fell off" are starting to sound a little like the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch. :(

For those concerned it does not matter what word is used, the passenger has died in tragic circumstances and it really doesn't matter what actions, if any, he took that may have led to him ending up in the water.

Totally agree.

I don't agree at all as it implies that falling off ships and dying can be a common factor with a cruise.

When a person behaves in a manner likely to cause serious injury or death then they are only inviting the inevitable.

Lets be 100% clear here. It is impossible to slip and fall off a cruise ship whilst having a leisurely stroll around the open decks.

In order to fall off you have do be doing something deliberate or negligent to invite such a tragedy and in that case the tragedy is of your own making. Either way it does not change the fact that the only way someone can fall off a ship is by fooling around, murder or suicide.

I don't agree at all as it implies that falling off ships and dying can be a common factor with a cruise.

You think so?

If it were that common, it wouldn't be in the news. Like falling off bridges...

When a person behaves in a manner likely to cause serious injury or death then they are only inviting the inevitable.

But here, we don't know what the cause is, so there are no grounds for speculation.

Lets be 100% clear here. It is impossible to slip and fall off a cruise ship whilst having a leisurely stroll around the open decks.

Right... but that doesn't mean it's impossible to fall off in any circumstances. We can be 100% clear and also state that not every passenger is only leisurely strolling around the open decks all cruise long.

Either way it does not change the fact that the only way someone can fall off a ship is by fooling around, murder or suicide.

I agree with Aussieflyer yet have unfortunately extended this.

KarateMan, no-one has said that a person can "slip and fall off a cruise ship whilst having a leisurely stroll around the open decks."

The discussion came from your post that you wished that the media would stop saying "fell off" but technically (according to both OED and Macquarie Dictionary), it can be correct. The other options could be "jumped off" for an intentional leap or "was thrown off" for a more sinister occurrence. Without knowing exactly the circumstances, "fell" is probably the best word to use at that time.

Oh, and I know of quite a few deaths on cruise ships; maybe not a common occurrence but not a rarity by any stretch.

Putting semantics to bed now :)

Big M - you were posting as I was typing

Edited by Aussieflyer

His death made the news, the reasons of why, or how probably never will. Just another tragedy that the media have already forgotten about and have moved on.:(

Agree.

Experienced a loss overboard on Sun Princess recently off the WA coast and body wasn't found.

Another potential reason is mental illness where the person is not fully cognisant of what they are doing. They just want to get off the ship.

Very sad whatever the cause .

Barry

No one will know for sure unless the investigation is published.

The term "fell off" is just to vague and open ended and probably not the best term to use in my opinion.

Think about sailing boards, yachts and small fishing boats. People can fall off them all the time in the course of operating them. Unlike a cruise ship to go over the side there needs to be a specific action that resulted in the person going off.

No one will know for sure unless the investigation is published.

The term "fell off" is just to vague and open ended and probably not the best term to use in my opinion.

Think about sailing boards, yachts and small fishing boats. People can fall off them all the time in the course of operating them. Unlike a cruise ship to go over the side there needs to be a specific action that resulted in the person going off.

I do agree with you. Unfortunately the term "fell off" can give people who haven't been on a cruiseship the impression that people can easily fall off and we all know that is not the case. I do take the point that someone made earlier that this unfortunate incident made the news because it is unusual - we don't have people falling off one of our local cruiseships every day.

In this case, I heard a report that someone saw the man "go off" one of the higher decks on the ship. Whatever the circumstances, it is very sad for his family and friends. It would have also been very upsetting for the crew who had to deal with the matter.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I do agree with you. Unfortunately the term "fell off" can give people who haven't been on a cruiseship the impression that people can easily fall off and we all know that is not the case. I do take the point that someone made earlier that this unfortunate incident made the news because it is unusual - we don't have people falling off one of our local cruiseships every day.

In this case, I heard a report that someone saw the man "go off" one of the higher decks on the ship. Whatever the circumstances, it is very sad for his family and friends. It would have also been very upsetting for the crew who had to deal with the matter.

Yes, and for some it will haunt their dreams.

Just got off this cruise this morning.

We as passengers were kept informed by the Captain of the unfolding events. First at 2am and then at regular intervals until sadly the passenger's body was found mid-morning. Out of respect for the family, I did not gossip on board about how the passenger came to be in the water and nor do I wish to comment on this website. I just wanted to say that I thought the Captain handled the matter professionally and I am glad the body was located and the family got closure as a result.

We also had a medical emergency occur on board on Christmas Day. We had to divert to Noumea on our way back from Champagne Bay. The ill passenger was medically evacuated in the early hours of the morning and is now recovering in Noumea hospital.

Due to good weather and calm seas, we able to make up time and we arrived back in Sydney on time this morning.

We as passengers were kept informed by the Captain of the unfolding events. First at 2am and then at regular intervals until sadly the passenger's body was found mid-morning. Out of respect for the family, I did not gossip on board about how the passenger came to be in the water and nor do I wish to comment on this website. I just wanted to say that I thought the Captain handled the matter professionally and I am glad the body was located and the family got closure as a result.

We also had a medical emergency occur on board on Christmas Day. We had to divert to Noumea on our way back from Champagne Bay. The ill passenger was medically evacuated in the early hours of the morning and is now recovering in Noumea hospital.

Due to good weather and calm seas, we able to make up time and we arrived back in Sydney on time this morning.

An eventful cruise, welcome back. I am glad the captain was able to sort out the best solution to both of these events.:D

Did you have Captain Rob ? we thought he was a really good Captain and he was also lovely to talk to.

Yes, very impressed with Captain Rob throughout the cruise and during the Captain's Q & A at the end of the cruise.

Yes he is quite likeable and had a good sense of humour in the Captain's Q & A.

Edited by wildweston

So did he fall off jump off or what:confused:

With this thread still going and now you becomming part of it shows no more or no less respect for the family if people are told any minor details you were told whilst still onboard:confused:

With this thread still going and now you becomming part of it shows no more or no less respect for the family if people are told any minor details you were told whilst still onboard:confused:

I think you will find he 'went overboard' and the coroner would not have released the findings as yet.

Edited by MicCanberra

I think when you find very little media attention after the initial event (whether on a ship or in general) it is most likely a suicide. I also had relatives that were on board when this occurred.

I think when you find very little media attention after the initial event (whether on a ship or in general) it is most likely a suicide. I also had relatives that were on board when this occurred.

The incident was news as it was shocking, etc. The actual reasons or findings about the incident is not likely to be reported as the story has passed by. The only thing that may stir up more media coverage is if the coroner declares murder and that is unlikely. Sad for the family as they will grieve for a long time when everyone else has moved on.