Beauty items you can't live without when you travel

ClassyGame

I like having my eyelashes dyed before I go. I still wear mascara at night but this makes them dark enough that I can go during the day without them. About $20 at our local spa and lasts for about 4 weeks. Works best on darker eyelashes but mine are very light and it still darkens them up pretty good. Doesn't make them longer though :)

Getting your lashes tinted before travelling is really great, I have mine done regularly. If you have light brows consider getting those tinted as well but not as dark as your lashes. It's amazing what a difference a little tint can make. ;)

Sunscreen.

Lip balm without sunscreen (I react to the sunscreen used in lip balms)

Shampoo & conditioner - my short, fine, very straight hair is also very fussy.

Cleansing wipes - easier to pack than cleansing lotion & toner

Moisturiser & eye cream

Unperfumed body lotion

I, too, have about 30 items on my skin-care/hair/make-up "trip essentials" list and usually end up with three cosmetic bags of "stuff". I never thought to cleverly segregate them as you do. This is the best time-saving, step-saving tip I've read in a long time! Thanks.

I agree, love this. So glad I read this thread.

I don't understand Dry Shampoo! I get that it's for making dirty hair look clean, but why not just take a shower and wash your hair? I can go a couple days without washing my hair and it still looks good, but I wouldn't want to go that long without a shower. :confused:

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just surprised how many people list an item that I've never even seen used in 60 years! :)

I have really fine, light hair. If I don't wash it every day, it gets greasy, but washing it everyday actually makes it more greasy. Sometimes it gets to the point that it looks greasy in less than 24 hours.

A lot of people use it to keep their style so they don't have to style it everyday, which could also be bad for your hair.

I just got a haircut yesterday and the stylist used Bed Head's Oh Bee Hive dry shampoo. I love love love the scent. They are out of stock so I wont get it until next week to use the product a little more to see how I like it.

My list -

I can get by without a lot of stuff, but I do like to have my own shampoo and conditioner because my hair is so fine/greasy/flat, most shampoo does not do it any favors. I do like to wear makeup, but could live without it with one exception - my MAC studio fix. My face is red and blotchy and now is broken out because I'm pregnant, I won't go out anywhere without this on. And face moisturizer and sunscreen - I burn easily.

I found my face cleanser/moisturizer in travel size, I don't have a ton of make up so its not too bad to bring it all.

I just got a haircut yesterday and the stylist used Bed Head's Oh Bee Hive dry shampoo. I love love love the scent. They are out of stock so I wont get it until next week to use the product a little more to see how I like it.

I don't know the regular price, but Amazon's got it for $16 including shipping.

I don't know the regular price, but Amazon's got it for $16 including shipping.

Thanks, but I am in Canada and can't find it on the Canadian site. I checked the American one and its like $37 for shipping :(

She figured it would be in Monday or Tuesday. I might check some other shops around too.

:D I am known for paring down and minimizing the toiletries I bring on vacations. My mother just looks at me like I have 5 heads for being able to do this :D

HAIR:

• Diffuser (I use the ships blowdryer)
  • Morroccan Oil
  • Kinky Curly Custard (Whole Foods)
  • bobby pins/rubber bands/barrettes for cute hair dos via http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/ (I practice before the trip on diff hairstyles that might work for daytime or nighttime)

SKIN/MAKEUP:

• Clinique Moisture Surge Moisturizer
  • Murad Face Wash
  • Jojoba Oil (from Trader Joe's for cleaning off eye-makeup easily)
  • Bare Essentials powders & brushes, blemish therapy & coverup
  • Urban Decay Naked2 palette & bare essentials Foil eye kit (love the disco color for a neutral!)
  • Mascara - Tarte Amazonian clay
  • Sunscreen

Don't worry...I'll be taking a lot of toiletries too! And I love The Small Things Blog! Have you checked out http://www.alexsismae.com/? She has some great tutorials. I have already practiced a few of them for my upcoming cruise.

Amongst the usual shampoo, conditioner, scrub and body butter, SPF and makeup I would never go without

- Batiste dry shampoo, not just to put off a wash but also adds volume and texture when mixed with some back combing

- A deep conditioner, hair oil or conditioning spray after sea air, beaches and pools

- Enrapture totem styler is my FAVE THING EVER. It is a curler with 3 independent sections that can heat in different ways. It means I have one tool which will give me waves, slight curls, tight curls, waves at the top and curls at the bottom etc :)

- No 7 Waterproof Intense Volume Mascara

- An eyeshadow palette like Urban Decary Deluxe Shadow Box which has neutrals for days and brighter colours for eyeliner when used with angled brush

And in my plane hand luggage for long haul I use a micellar solution like Bioderma or La Roche Posay to remove makeup when on the plane. Then I use the Body Shop Vitamin E Sink in Moisture Mask - here they sell these in small single application sachets that are amazing from travelling. Doesn't look like your wearing a face mask and soo moisturising in the cabin air. Then reapply makeup 30/45 minutes from landing.

Beauty item I can't live without on vacation:

My Clinique Chubby Stick (tinted lip moisturizer) in the color Fig. It is sheer, but definitely adds color, and works great with my changing skin tone as I get tan on the trip. I don't wear much makeup on vacation, but I must have my lips soft.

Hello ladies!

Question about dry shampoo since I've never tried it...I normally wash my hair every morning but when I'm on a cruise, usually it makes more sense to shower/shampoo before dinner (after being in the sun/at the beach all day). Since my hair is very fine, I don't like to go out for the day without shampooing, just doesn't feel good....I'm thinking one of these dry shampoos might be perfect for me to use in the morning...thoughts?

Thanks all!

Hello ladies!

Question about dry shampoo since I've never tried it...I normally wash my hair every morning but when I'm on a cruise, usually it makes more sense to shower/shampoo before dinner (after being in the sun/at the beach all day). Since my hair is very fine, I don't like to go out for the day without shampooing, just doesn't feel good....I'm thinking one of these dry shampoos might be perfect for me to use in the morning...thoughts?

Thanks all!

I have medium fine hair and also wash my hair in the evening before dinner on cruises. I'm going to guess that you are talking about losing body and bounce in your hair, not that it gets oily or dirty overnight. I find that using a good hair product after washing will keep for 24 hours. I use Sexy Hair short/firm gel, or Twisted Taffy. A little water on a comb, maybe a little blow dry the next morning, and I'm good to go.

Getting your lashes tinted before travelling is really great, I have mine done regularly. If you have light brows consider getting those tinted as well but not as dark as your lashes. It's amazing what a difference a little tint can make. ;)

Yes on the eyelash tint. I always do this before a vacation.

For my brows - my hair stylist always applies some of my hair color to them when she's doing my grey line touchup. It keeps well for about 3 weeks, then I just touch them up with a brow brush and some MAC eyeshadow that matches well (been using that same technique for years now).

For my brows - my hair stylist always applies some of my hair color to them when she's doing my grey line touchup. It keeps well for about 3 weeks, then I just touch them up with a brow brush and some MAC eyeshadow that matches well (been using that same technique for years now).

I just bought Revlon's Brow Fantasy, and I must say I'm really pleased with it. I have tinted blond hair, brown eyelashes and brows, but the brows are thinning and have some stray gray ones in there.

The pencil end of it is really easy to use, and you can apply as little or as much color as you want. Then, the tinted gel adds body to the sparser areas, and keeps the brows looking perfect when it dries.

I use the light brown/champagne color, because I don't want my brows to be too dramatic with my blond hair.

Now, I'm trying to figure out a way to gently and subtly introduce my MIL to this product. She has white hair and "scary" penciled eyebrows that she use to dye, but now pencils much to dark. She even had a serious "break-up" with one of her little old lady friends at the assisted living center who told her that her eyebrows are too dark!! :D

Hello ladies!

Thanks all!

I have lots of fine hair and dry shampoo is bliss! You spray it in your greasy areas - so for me normally the crown, front bangs area, the bottom and around my ears - leave for a few seconds, rub in with your fingers then thoroughly brush it out. I would suggest using a different hairbrush for it, as it can turn your brush a bit grey! So I have a travel brush that I use for the dry shampoo :)

I really suggest it. It is only £3 or so over here, so not a big investment!

Absolute must in order is a pale lip gloss/chap stick, moisturizer, decent sun lotion, Chanel foundation, Coco parfum and Moroccan Oil Light. Every trip I try to cut down as I take a lot of things I don't really need as just incases.

I wax almost everything;), tint lashes and brows, Shellac mani/pedi and have my hair done the day before we go so don't need to worry about too much on that score.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

My eyebrows are really sparse and fair. I have them tinted every 3 weeks. You might want to try that. One less step!

I too get mine "colored" as my hair dresser does them while coloring my hair. Done every 4 weeks and the color is just right for me. And she doesn't charge me for it :)

That's odd to me, the onboard prices for cosmetics has always been the same as what I pay in department stores. Actually a bit less, since there is no tax. I don't plan on cosmetic purchases unless I find something I can't live without…you can't always depend on what you need being available. But I always look :)

Bare Minerals? That stuff makes my skin feel like it's on fire, something in it doesn't agree with me.

I can't wear Bare Minerals because it has talc in it & it makes my skin breakout in a rash & irritates it. Try Jane Iredale (it is a mineral makeup line); it's the only makeup I can use due to my sensitive/highly reactive/rosacea skin.

My favorite cosmetic that I cannot travel (or live:D) without is Smashbox CC crème. It has a Spf of 30 and I have found it works great as a sunscreen, even at the beach. I use it in place of makeup for daily use. Also, would be lost without mascara, my favorite is L'Oreal.

Sherri:)

I can't wear Bare Minerals because it has talc in it & it makes my skin breakout in a rash & irritates it. Try Jane Iredale (it is a mineral makeup line); it's the only makeup I can use due to my sensitive/highly reactive/rosacea skin.

Funny you should say that. I also have a fairly severe case of rosacea and Bare Minerals is one of the few foundations I can wear. Tarte also makes one. It's more costly and I don't care for it as much. I'm using it now because the store was out of the colour of BM that I needed but as soon as this one is finished, it's back to BM for me.

Edited by twoputt.plusone

My go-to beauty item would have to be dry shampoo. It's the only way I can get away with not washing every day and it also helps give my hair some volume.

I am going to have to look into this lash tinting thing, though. I never go without mascara because my eyelashes are so fair that they look non-existent. Do you have it done at the salon?

Edited by kellane

My go-to beauty item would have to be dry shampoo. It's the only way I can get away with not washing every day and it also helps give my hair some volume.

I am going to have to look into this lash tinting thing, though. I never go without mascara because my eyelashes are so fair that they look non-existent. Do you have it done at the salon?

For the lash tinting, usually a spa esthetician does my tinting. Check your local day spa. My hair stylist does the eyebrow tinting with the leftover concoction she puts on my "skunk line". The lash stuff it something totally different, a vegetable dye.

My favorite cosmetic that I cannot travel (or live:D) without is Smashbox CC crème. It has a Spf of 30 and I have found it works great as a sunscreen, even at the beach. I use it in place of makeup for daily use. Also, would be lost without mascara, my favorite is L'Oreal.

Sherri:)

Just to show how different we all are: I had to chuckle when you said you can use your CC creme in place of your makeup. For me, CC creme WOULD be my makeup:)

Just to show how different we all are: I had to chuckle when you said you can use your CC creme in place of your makeup. For me, CC creme WOULD be my makeup:)

You guys need to check out Maybelline BB cream. It covers as well as makeup, but leaves the skin looking luminous. Normally, I would never buy inexpensive foundation, but this stuff is magic.

I hate tinted stuff - all the BB & CC creams are tinted so I've never tried them. Boo:rolleyes: I even tried the very lightly tinted Aveeno moisturizer with spf and it was too tinted.

However, in the past year I'm more critical of my spots (age, you know:cool:) so maybe tint is in my future:p