Elite Status: Terrible name!

Dutch Explorers

Because the last time we tried, there were no cruises to Bonaire for Celebrity for our preferred vacation time (and on RCCL only if you leave from -- I think -- Panama.). For Colombia, at that time, there were only cruises on their larger ships and on a western Caribbean-type as opposed to our preferred Eastern stops. Although we enjoyed the larger ships we prefer the "M" class

Haven't checked in a while so these itineraries may have changed. If they DO go to Bonaire routinely now, from Florida, I may sign up today. A quick check found only one cruise that stops at Bonaire leaving from Florida on 15 Feb 2015. As I said Celebrity is our preferred line although we also go on RCCL and NCL.

The real point, poorly stated, was intended to be we don't schedule to build points/status. We are interested in itinerary, our preferred balance between port and sea days, and to some extent the size of the ship.

Edited by tinybabynurse

Shakespeare this one... Hey Andy, how did you get the title "Host"? A little grandiose, don't you think?

I assure you, the Host title wasn't my first choice. I originally asked for "The Grand Poobah", but it was taken :). Happy Holidays !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgAfpdHShC69mxRFII4ILfUqpZNnDxh8vAQispflNuMFfjDkAT

Because the last time we tried, there were no cruises to Bonaire for Celebrity for our preferred vacation time (and on RCCL only if you leave from -- I think -- Panama.). For Colombia, at that time, there were only cruises on their larger ships which we think are OK but just do not like as well as the "M-class".

Haven't checked in a while so these itineraries may have changed. If they DO go to Bonaire now, from Florida, I may sign up today. As I said Celebrity is our preferred line although we also go on RCCL and NCL...

Off original topic, but Celebrity does have a FEW cruises that go to Bonaire (eg Eclipse 4 Jan 2015 and a few other dates). When Explorer moves from New York to Port Canaveral for winter 2014-15 they will have a number of 9 night cruises that go to Bonaire (plus Curacao, Aruba and Labadee). Admittedly these are larger ships.

Thom

Is celebrity supposed to change the title from Elite to something else to spare the feelings of those who wish they were Elite but aren't yet:confused:

Elite envy:

Make everyone who has chosen to make Celebrity (or Princess) their cruise line of choice feel guilty of their elite status by belittling them.

I'm proud to have sailed with Celebrity over the last 20 years and I've had it with thread after thread from people who don't like it that Celebrity (or any cruise line) rewards people with perks on board for becoming loyal repeat cruisers. If you don't like Celebrity's choice for rewarding frequent cruisers, you have a choice… we're happy with ours.

20-45421RHCzenithlogo2.jpg

That is really putting it backwards.

It is more "One does not have to develop a superiority complex......"

For me it would be no value at all to know what status a person has on the roll call. Maybe from you perspective it could be useful but from a perspective of a newbe cruiser this could be interpreted differently. Not to feel inferior but more off-putting.

With all due respect, you appear to be unusually focused on the literal definition of "elite," particularly as it applies to Celebrity's loyalty program. So much so that perhaps you would feel more comfortable sailing with a cruise line whose loyalty program levels are Minnow, Guppie, Shark and Great White. Then again, I see your point - use of "great" (of an extent, amount, intensity, ability, quality, or eminence considerably above the normal or average) might result in Great Whites taking on an air of superiority and entitlement while at the same time being off-putting to some Minnows, Guppies and Sharks, thereby causing them to feel inferior and threatened. I hope you get the point I'm trying to make. Happy cruising!

Edited by lysolqn

Elite envy:

Make everyone who has chosen to make Celebrity (or Princess) their cruise line of choice feel guilty of their elite status by belittling them.

I'm proud to have sailed with Celebrity over the last 20 years and I've had it with thread after thread from people who don't like it that Celebrity (or any cruise line) rewards people with perks on board for becoming loyal repeat cruisers. If you don't like Celebrity's choice for rewarding frequent cruisers, you have a choice… we're happy with ours.

20-45421RHCzenithlogo2.jpg

How did we get from a simple name change discussion to what you describe here?

I have not seen any postings that suggest what you describe.

From my reading of the (thousands!) of posts about the loyalty tiers, the only ones who seem wrapped up in the term Elite aren't the ones who reached Elite on Celebrity or Princes, but by those who seem to feel they've been diminished because they aren't.

For the life of me, I've never seen a post by anyone at Elite or now Zenith, make any reference to some superior status; they love their benefits or think they aren't any big deal and are just a nice plus. Thats about it. As do most of us, they talk about their love of cruising or complain just as we all tend to do over some issue, real or perceived.

I don't think the OP fits this category since their's is more of a definition of a word issue, but there has been more than a few posts accusing Elites of feeling or acting superior, but never really seen a post by any Elite or heard anyone mention it in person on a cruise.

Heck, a recent post referred to the fellow cruisers who stay in Inside cabins as 'the Normal people' as if those who enjoy balconies and suites aren't. Now, that's a superiority issue....In reverse.

Den

Edited by Denny01

.......Maybe they should have just called it Acme. ;)
At first glance, I read this as

Maybe they should have just called it Acne. :D

That certainly would eliminate any connotation of superiority or class distinction, resulting in grins instead of controversy.

Personally, I could not care less what they call the various categories as long as we get the perks.

Hi Everyone,

Yippee. Another thread about titles, status and entitlements. Why oh why does this rile up some ?. It's just a name, and a marketing tool at that. FWIW, it certainly doesn't make me feel any better or more entitled than anyone else onboard. We're all guests of an outstanding cruise line & beautiful cruise ship, seeking an enjoyable & memorable cruise experience.

IMO, this entire topic is so completely overblown, that it's mind boggling. Does anyone else think this is all much ado about nothing ???

Sorry, I just had to say it. Happy Holidays !

Yes, I agree absolutely!

Saw a quote on Facebook recently that went something like this: The world is full of people who are looking for something to be offended by. Yup.

Hi Everyone,

Yippee. Another thread about titles, status and entitlements. Why oh why does this rile up some ?. It's just a name, and a marketing tool at that. FWIW, it certainly doesn't make me feel any better or more entitled than anyone else onboard. We're all guests of an outstanding cruise line & beautiful cruise ship, seeking an enjoyable & memorable cruise experience.

IMO, this entire topic is so completely overblown, that it's mind boggling. Does anyone else think this is all much ado about nothing ???

Sorry, I just had to say it. Happy Holidays !

Andy, there are many feel that way including me. I've been cruising Celebrity since I joined this board and feel no more or less important now than when I took my first cruise. I've also met very few people on the ship that I've had to avoid because they are too full of themselves. Easy to walk away if I do. A lot of fuss over nothing indeed.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

If the name "Elite" for Celebrities loyalty program is offensive, then best stay away from Air Canada who not only recognize their frequent customers as Elite, but

(Cover the eyes of the children Martha, this is really going to be offensive)

their top level tier is called "Super Elite"

The Marriott chain uses the term "Elite" also....
I do not have Celebrity Elite status, but I do have Marriott Platinum Elite status.

Fortunately for me, Marriott truly understands the concept of customer loyalty and provides me free foot massages at check-in as well as the personal cell phone number of Bill Marriott to promptly resolve any issues. I also get room upgrades to ensure that I don't have to interact with any of the "bloody peasants".

If only Celebrity could get its act together ... *sigh*. What was so wrong with steerage anyway? https://woodward8.wikispaces.com/steerage

From my reading of the (thousands!) of posts about the loyalty tiers, the only ones who seem wrapped up in the term Elite aren't the ones who reached Elite on Celebrity or Princes, but by those who seem to feel they've been diminished because they aren't.

For the life of me, I've never seen a post by anyone at Elite or now Zenith, make any reference to some superior status; they love their benefits or think they aren't any big deal and are just a nice plus. Thats about it. As do most of us, they talk about their love of cruising or complain just as we all tend to do over some issue, real or perceived.

I don't think the OP fits this category since their's is more of a definition of a word issue, but there has been more than a few posts accusing Elites of feeling or acting superior, but never really seen a post by any Elite or heard anyone mention it in person on a cruise.

Heck, a recent post referred to the fellow cruisers who stay in Inside cabins as 'the Normal people' as if those who enjoy balconies and suites aren't. Now, that's a superiority issue....In reverse.

Den

Watch out Denny, you'll be accused of bullying the others! It's OK to throw around half truths and downright lies, but defend yourself and you're a bully!

SDT