Closure of Forward Viewing Areas?

ky-referee

DW and I just returned from the Panama Canal trip on the Zuiderdam. Loved the food, ports, excursions and ship...well, with one major exception.

The forward viewing areas on decks 5, 6, & 7 were closed for the entire trip! On all my previous HAL sailings, I have enjoyed standing outside, forward, just one deck below the bridge, watching the ship come into port.

After the arrival at Half Moon Cay, I asked at the Front Desk why we were not allowed outside and was told the passengers in the front rooms had complained, but the decks would be opened for the Panama Canal lock transit.

On that morning, however, while stuck behind a mass of people on the bow, I looked up only to find the deck areas on 5, 6 & 7 were still closed. So disappointed.

Watching the ship maneuver into port is a thrill. I admit even acting like a kid and pretending I was bringing her in. It's my version of the "flying" scene from the movie 'Titantic'. Looking through the glass from the Crow's Nest, or from behind the screen on the top deck just doesn't have the same feel.

Is this closure of the prime observation areas happening all across HAL? If so, it will definitely affect my future cruising choices, and I am a multi-star Mariner. Seems to me that a policy that the deck viewing areas are to be open for an hour before port arrival until an hour after port departure is reasonable.

And, in looking at the ship's deck plans, it seems like there are only two staterooms total on all three decks that have a window out onto the front observation area!!

BTW, I'm not saying anything behind HAL's back - I made my opinion very clear in my post-cruise survey.

DW and I just returned from the Panama Canal trip on the Zuiderdam. Loved the food, ports, excursions and ship...well, with one major exception.

The forward viewing areas on decks 5, 6, & 7 were closed for the entire trip! On all my previous HAL sailings, I have enjoyed standing outside, forward, just one deck below the bridge, watching the ship come into port.

After the arrival at Half Moon Cay, I asked at the Front Desk why we were not allowed outside and was told the passengers in the front rooms had complained, but the decks would be opened for the Panama Canal lock transit.

On that morning, however, while stuck behind a mass of people on the bow, I looked up only to find the deck areas on 5, 6 & 7 were still closed. So disappointed.

Watching the ship maneuver into port is a thrill. I admit even acting like a kid and pretending I was bringing her in. It's my version of the "flying" scene from the movie 'Titantic'. Looking through the glass from the Crow's Nest, or from behind the screen on the top deck just doesn't have the same feel.

Is this closure of the prime observation areas happening all across HAL? If so, it will definitely affect my future cruising choices, and I am a multi-star Mariner. Seems to me that a policy that the deck viewing areas are to be open for an hour before port arrival until an hour after port departure is reasonable.

And, in looking at the ship's deck plans, it seems like there are only two staterooms total on all three decks that have a window out onto the front observation area!!

BTW, I'm not saying anything behind HAL's back - I made my opinion very clear in my post-cruise survey.

I was told on Oosterdam that the forward area on at deck 7 is staff cabins. The forward decks were never open on 5, 6, or 7. There are "crew only" signs on the doors to those areas.

I was on Zuiderdam for a partial PC cruise in Apr 2011. When we went to the pre-Canal talk, we were told that the forward areas would be opened for passengers at 6 AM. My husband and I got in line for deck 6 around 5:30 to get a nice viewing spot. At 6:15 the doors were still locked and a crew member came by to say that only deck 4 would be opened to passengers. It would have been nice if someone had come by earlier or posted a sign that only deck 4 would be opened. By the time we got downstairs, deck 4 was filled to capacity. There just aren't enough unobstructed viewing areas on Zuiderdam.

I don't know if this is the case for the OP, but we were told the forward deck areas are opened at the captain's discretion. He decided not to open the upper levels for our Canal transit even though we were told that they would be opened.

They allowed access to the Bow on our recent NZ trip when we did the sounds cruising but that was the only time we could access it. All other forward areas were not opened that day. There was no access during the rest of our cruise. A bit disappointing as we really enjoyed looking "forward" as we sailed out of Sydney. :o

We sailed on the Oosterdam.

Edited by SunnyinDubai

I, too, was disappointed to have the forward viewing decks---with the exception of the bow---open on my Zuiderdam partial Canal cruise three years ago. I was told at the time that particular captain did not like to open the decks. Since the timing is similar, I wonder if you had the same captain?

It was most unfortunate that the other decks were closed that time. With more people crammed into less space, stress rose and tempers flared. There was a physical altercation between two people who just couldn't take the same space at the same time.

If that was the only reason, you should complain too and make it as loud as possible.

Deck 9 forward is the "official" observation front deck for Vista ships.

On the Vistas, Deck 4 all the way forward is where the crew-only Officers Bar or OB is located (probably the same on the two Signatures, however can't confirm that because I haven't been there yet). That's also the reason you might find a set of picnic-style tables/benches located here. The two access doors to that same OB are always closed when the bow is opened to passengers as is the case in locations such as Glacier Bay National Park, Panama Canal, etc.

Opening up access to the bow when the ship is sailing in, or out of, port is always up to the captain's discretion. I've seen it done and I've seen it prohibited, the latter mostly due to weather conditions (wind, swells, inclement, etc.) but also due to sailors having to throw messenger lines (attached to the much heavier mooring lines) from that deck in certain ports. I've also seen access to the bow closed off because some passengers, not always under the age of eighteen, found it necessary to start hanging deep over the railing(s) which constitutes a severe hazard if they go MOB. For that same reason, access to the bow has been denied because some pax felt the urge to start climbing on the spare anchor, the two painting floats on either side, the enclosed area around the foremast where the Dutch national colors and ship's bell are located, and/or any other raised section and/or obstacle on the ship's bow imaginable to attempt to climb on.

I have not heard of fwd access to any other decks closed off on approach/departing ports, except due to inclement weather

Edited by Copper10-8

2013 Spring Break, the bow was open while sailing into San Juan.

I can certainly understand the need to close the bow when so many people do not think about safety and take unnecessary risks to climb and compete for viewing space.

We are doing the Panama Canal transit next month on the Statendam. Does anyone know what decks have been open in the past on this ship?

Bow should be open, as well as Deck 13 (Sky), Deck 11 (Obs/front of the Gym) and Deck 9 (Verandah; below the Bridge). - Enjoy the Canal!

So is it normal for those forward decks to be closed on the Vistas?

Do they open the bow?

We passed the Westerdam on our Oct Panama Canal cruise. Can't see it really well, but it looks like there are people on the upper forward decks (not a lot, but some):

dr9hn6.jpg

Edited by Shmoo here

Beautiful photo of the Westerdam!

We did 14 days on the Eurodam in November, and the captain allowed access to the forward decks for the passengers as we sailed into the harbour in San Juan, PR. It was lovely, an unforgetable experience. We have had this only 3X previously, on the Zuiderdam as we went through the Panama Canal on a partial transit, also on the Zuiderdam on a full transit, and on the Volendam as we sailed through the Inside Passage in Alaska. The captain must make the decision to allow this or not ??????

Bow should be open, as well as Deck 13 (Sky), Deck 11 (Obs/front of the Gym) and Deck 9 (Verandah; below the Bridge). - Enjoy the Canal!

Does Veendam have more forward public decks than Stdm? (They're sisters, no?) I thought I remembered at least a narrow deck on each level that was open- sure climbed them a lot.

I guess we've been fortunate as (so far) when we've cruised the forward decks are open and many times the bow for sail in or sail away.

Does Veendam have more forward public decks than Stdm? (They're sisters, no?) I thought I remembered at least a narrow deck on each level that was open- sure climbed them a lot.

I guess we've been fortunate as (so far) when we've cruised the forward decks are open and many times the bow for sail in or sail away.

The Veendam on our recent Panama Canal cruise:

23uc5q8.jpg

• 3 months later...
Just curious--how do you get to the forward deck on Deck 9 on the Veendam? Is it through the emergency exit doors at the end of the hall?

Deck 9 is the Sports Deck where the Crow's Nest is. No open deck space is available in front of the Crow's Nest. There is an open deck space above the Crow's Nest that has stairs aft of the Crow's Nest that lead to it.

Are you thinking of the deck space on Deck 8 in front of the gym?

If so, there is a door on the port side of the gym that leads to some forward viewing areas. Sometimes, that door is "hidden" behind some drapes. But, it is there.

No doubt it... the STATENDAM, MAASDAM, RYNDAM and VEENDAM.... are the best ships for a Panama Canal!

Not just in the upper balconies seen in the photos.... on the bow as well.

The bow on S Class was always intended just for that purpose... of course something may go wrong is bad weather

Stephen