Halifax and St. John's Suggestions?

My DH and I are taking a New England/Canada cruise this September. We did this several years ago one other time. Any suggestions for "Must Do's" in either port?

I took a trip to St Andrews out of St John in Sept of this year. It was a really nice trip. Very interesting scenery and story to go with it. St Andrews was a cute little town - again, with lots of interesting stories/history. If you're interested in any details, let me know.

As for Halifax, we just walked along the waterfront this time. Next year, I may visit Lunenberg while in port.

When we were on the boardwalk in Halifax, I could sense something just to the right of me. I turned and came face to face with a huge bald eagle. It was amazing. It flew around the boardwalk for a fairly long time then headed out to the little lighthouse island in the middle of the harbor. It nests in one of the chimneys on the little house on the island. Absolutely stunning experience!

I assume you are going to Saint John (notice the spelling), New Brunswick and not St. John's, Newfoundland.

If you go back to the Canada page (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39 )and go to the search section at the top you can search for and find many previous threads.

Here are a few to start:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1653563

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1936086

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1908992

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1847765

Edited by maryann ns

In Halifax I'd recommend the waterfront. There are two museums that are well worth checking out. Pier 21 was right next to where we docked (we were at Pier 20). It is a oral history museum of immigration to Canada. Pier 21 was sort of Canada's Ellis Island and my whole family found the stories there very moving. Then an easy walk down the waterfront is the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. Here you will find exhibits on the Titanic and the Halifax Explosion along with other maritime history. Not the most cheerful history but interesting never the less. In between along the waterfront are all sorts of public art (my family's favorite were the drunken lamp posts), pubs and restaurants.

My DH and I are taking a New England/Canada cruise this September. We did this several years ago one other time. Any suggestions for "Must Do's" in either port?

In Halifax, I would think about renting a car and driving out to Peggy's Cove. An easy hour drive thru wonderful countryside and then Peggy's Cove.

In St Johns, if the tide is out, try and get to the Caves, as you can walk on the ocean bottom. Truly inspiring.

Cheers

Len

• 2 weeks later...

If you like to hike (or like to drive through amazing scenery), the Fundy Trail is a very nice!

http://www.fundytrailparkway.com/

When we were in St John, we got out early to see the tide at the caves. Since the tide was in, there was not much to do other than grab some excellent seafood chowder at the sea caves restaurant (yes, I recommend it). We decided to see if the fundy trail was still open (it was mid October, 4 days after the official close). To our fortune, the park was still open and we had a chance to drive some of it. There were great views of the coast, awesome foliage color, and some easy trails to get out and about. Other than a few bald eagles, we didn't see much wildlife, but the scenery was spectacular.

10412331474_dba749e722_z.jpg

Fuller Falls by ikirumata, on Flickr

If we find ourselves back in the area, we will definitely spend more time up and down the Fundy Trail!

http://www.fundytrailparkway.com/

My husband and I have logged thousands of miles in the US without seeing much difference in driving between home (Canada) and the US. If you have a portable GPS unit, chances are it contains Canadian maps as well. The traffic laws are very similar etc. The biggest difference is switching from m/h to km/h. And your Canadian rental will have a speedometer set to km/h so it isn't that hard. Do bring your proof of insurance with you as you may be asked for it at the rental place.

What's involved in an American renting a car in Canada? And not to be an UGLY American but is it safe for us to be driving in their country? We drove from Skagwway to Yukon with no issues but most folks on the road were Americans also I think.

It is just as easy to rent a car in Canada as it is in the US. We had no problem driving in any of the Canadian ports--just like driving in the US. Don't be afraid and go ahead and do it. You should reserve cars as early as possible since many port rental agencies run out of cars and/or the price increases as the time gets closer to the cruise, ie: supply and demand.

I find renting a car is as easy (if not easier) in Canada than the US. I dont remember having to sign/initial as many lines that I would when getting a rental in the US.

The most difficult part is the whole meter/liter thing*. I slightly got excited that I was able to drive 100 on the roads...but I quickly remembered that roughly means 55mph. :)

*if it werent for football, Id be ok with changing. It just sounds awkward to say '.304 meterball'. :p

*if it werent for football, Id be ok with changing. It just sounds awkward to say '.304 meterball'. :p

If you've ever watched a game of Canadian Football you'll have noticed that our fields may be both wider and longer then American Football fields but they are measured in yards.

What's involved in an American renting a car in Canada? And not to be an UGLY American but is it safe for us to be driving in their country? We drove from Skagwway to Yukon with no issues but most folks on the road were Americans also I think.

There is nothing involved that is any different from the US. Most likely you will rent thru the internet, just bring your copy and license and insurance and off you go.

Just one point though. In Halifax, many people are renting cars. We rented on thru Thrifty. Made the time for 9:00. Because of the couple we were traveling with, we didn't get to the agency till 9:30 and they had given our car away. They didn't tell us that, but it was obvious. they sent us to AVIS to get a car and we were refunded the difference in the price, but that process took over an hour and it did limit some of what we wanted to do. Reserve the car for the time you will be there and if you are running a bit late, give them a quick call.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

If at all possible be sure to go to Peggy's Cove. When we were there last fall it was a misty, rainy day but the waves coming onto the rocks were absolutely wonderful to see. We loved it. Our friends were there in the afternoon and they had sunshine and didn't see any waves at all.

In Saint John, we did a tour with two other couples and used Roy's Tours. We did the Reversing Falls trip and really enjoyed it. It included the Fundy Trail and the Caves.

Would do it all again in a minute. And, we had lobster rolls nearly everywhere we went but the best ones were in Bar Harbor. The lobster dinner we had in Portland was excellent.

We rented a car in Halifax and went to Peggy Cove and Ryers Lobsters and to the Titanic cemetery. After returning the car we still had time to see the Titanic Museum and walk the boardwalk. in St John we did the reversing falls jet boat tour which was great

Edited by bedfordmom

thanks to all for posting the info. For St John, I am leading to the Fundy Trail. My wife and I love to hike and I'm hoping the 2nd week in Sept will be beautiful there. My question about this is how long of a drive is it from the port to the park and what is the best route? Also, are there any particular trails we should be doing?

Steve

thanks to all for posting the info. For St John, I am leading to the Fundy Trail. My wife and I love to hike and I'm hoping the 2nd week in Sept will be beautiful there. My question about this is how long of a drive is it from the port to the park and what is the best route? Also, are there any particular trails we should be doing?

Steve

I have a great idea for you in Halifax......We did a private excursion..fall of 2013 Called.....Great EARTH Expeditions.....highly regarded...great trip to Peggys Cove...(the lighthouse was just the end...the REALLY great part was the hike to the ocean (before Peggys).....with unbelievable coast views.......(it is a small excursion...van holds about 8-)....they have a website ...

Steve

It takes about 45mins to an hour to get to the Sea Caves at St Martins and another 10 minutes to the start of the Fundy Trail. We just headed out Hwy 1 to Hwy 111 and followed that out to the St Martins and the Sea Caves. Took a look at where the tides where, ate some seafood chowder, and headed on to the Fundy Trail.

On the way back, we saw that the tides at the caves was low and we hopped out to explore, then headed back to the ship the same way we came.

I cant really tell you what hikes are the best, as we didn't have a lot of time to spend on the trail. There are a lot of turnoffs from the road to most of the main attractions, so if you didn't want to hike very far, you could stop at one of the turnoffs, check out the area and then jump back in the car to the next one. You could also park at one end and do an out and back. The trail along the sea is very scenic!

Jaja, Ikirumata,

Thanks for the info for St John and Halifax. Since we want to do some shopping in St John, am looking to go out to Irving Nature Park, though will get to the FundyTrail one day :)

Jaja - is the company called Great Earth Expeditions?

Steve

Jaja, Ikirumata,

Thanks for the info for St John and Halifax. Since we want to do some shopping in St John, am looking to go out to Irving Nature Park, though will get to the FundyTrail one day :)

Jaja - is the company called Great Earth Expeditions?

Steve

Yes.....they do have a website and I believe on Expedia..if you look up Halifax.......tell me if you have problems finding it.......

Halifax is a beautiful city with lots of history. Peggy's Cove is one of our biggest tourist attractions. I would also look into doing the Harbour Hopper. I believe it is owned by Murphys on the water. It is a tour that takes you all around downtown Halifax, up Citadel Hill and then takes you on a boat ride in the Harbour. It is a lot of fun. We have a few museums, one right off the water front! This one contains a lot on the Titanic and Halifax explosion. You can also go and view the titanic grave Site as well. We have some great Seafood restaurants. Murphys on the water, McKelvie's and Five Fisherman. These are sit down meals. If you want something faster for Seafood, try the battered fish which is located on the Boardwalk. If you want to try something that is specifically Nova Scotiabank, then try a donair. Very popular here.

A car rental place close to the waterfront is Enterprise. I hope this helps.

Is that Enterprise car rental place in the VIA rail station location, and do they provide a shuttle from the ships to their office?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, there is a rental place in the VIA rail station and its a short 1 block walk from the cruise terminal ( I don't know if they will pick you up...sorry) We had trouble finding the entrance (we did find the back side of the station which led to the basement and to stairs up to the train station). I believe hertz and enterprise share an office.