Halifax and St. John's Suggestions?

Is that Enterprise car rental place in the VIA rail station location, and do they provide a shuttle from the ships to their office?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The station is just across a parking lot from the pier. You want the Enterprise at 1161 Hollis St, (902) 423-0227. Reserve a car as soon as you can--they do sell out.

Edited by pizzalady1

Is that Enterprise car rental place in the VIA rail station location, and do they provide a shuttle from the ships to their office?

It is actually in the Westin hotel which is next to the VIA rail. I am not sure if they provide a shuttle. It may be at most a 15 - 20 min walk. Cab would take you not even 5 minutes.

Opps, it may have moved! Sorry! It used to be in Westin, but now appears to be in VIA rail.

Edited by BlondeNSgirl

Many thanks, BlondeNSgirl. The Enterprise office address is listed as "VIA Rail, Halifax, 1161 Hollis St." I"m sure we'll be able to find it OK. We plan on driving to Peggy's Cove and hopefully have time to look around the Maritime Museum after. Any tips?

Many thanks, BlondeNSgirl. The Enterprise office address is listed as "VIA Rail, Halifax, 1161 Hollis St." I"m sure we'll be able to find it OK. We plan on driving to Peggy's Cove and hopefully have time to look around the Maritime Museum after. Any tips?

I would suggest getting to Peggy's Cove first thing. This way you get to enjoy it before the buses arrive. Since you have a car I would also stop at the Titanic grave Site. I was just on the Harbour Hopper for the 1st time this past year and it was fantastic. I would very much recommend that! Here is the website:. http://www.mtcw.ca/harbourhopper/

Toni

I would suggest getting to Peggy's Cove first thing. This way you get to enjoy it before the buses arrive. Since you have a car I would also stop at the Titanic grave Site. I was just on the Harbour Hopper for the 1st time this past year and it was fantastic. I would very much recommend that! Here is the website:. http://www.mtcw.ca/harbourhopper/

Toni

Hi Toni,

Thanks for the tips. Where exactly is the Titanic grave site? Is it on the way to Peggy's Cove or is it back more towards Halifax and the harbour?

Lloyd

Edited by redtop101

Hi Toni,

Thanks for the tips. Where exactly is the Titanic grave site? Is it on the way to Peggy's Cove or is it back more towards Halifax and the harbour?

Lloyd

The Titanic grave Site is in the Fairview Cemetery. It has numerous gravestones of people who were on the Titanic. One specifically was J. Dawson, which is not actually the Jack Dawson, but had a lot of hype. It is a huge tourist attraction. A restaurant called Five Fisherman used to be the morgue and held the bodies from the Titanic. It is now a very good Seafood restaurant that is rumored to be haunted. It is a 15-20 min drive I would say with all, the stop lights and traffic. It would probably be best to see it on your way back from Peggy's Cove. I wouldn't consider it out of the way. Here is a link on some Titanic sites. http://www.novascotia.ca/titanic/default.asp The "sites" section has a great map and the cemetery is near numbers 17 and 18 on it.

Toni

Edited by BlondeNSgirl

• 3 weeks later...

Renting a car was great in halifax. They picked us up at the port. We drove around town and visited Fairview cemetary to see many of the titanic graves (they are spread out over 3 different cemetaries). Virtualtourist.com has some really interesting info available giving background about the cemetary and why the graves are positioned the way they are.

We then drove out to peggys cove and walked around for a while. Really unique location to visit and a quaint little fishing village. As earlier recommended, put off your urges to eat at any of the popular seafood restaurants along the way. Leave peggys Cove and go about 1 mile or so to Reyers lobsters. Fresh off the boat and really fair prices. We got 6 3.5# lobsters for the cost of a lobster dinner in boston. Not fancy, you eat on picnic tables, but really a great meal

Then take the drive back and see the Citadel overlooking the town of Halifax, take stroll around the grounds, see the big clock and you will probably be ready to head back to the boat

Strongly recommend renting a car and doing your own thing. Other ports we did tours but very convienent to be on your own in halifax.

We've been to these ports twice, so did slightly different things both times.

Here are our VERY DETAILED reviews of the excursions we experienced, with pictures...

Detailed information on the Celebrity Constellation and the ports of Boston, Portland, Halifax, Quebec City, Charlottetown, Sydney, and Saint John:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/constellation.html

Carnival Glory and the ports of Boston, St. John and Halifax:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/carnival-glory.html

Feel free to email me any questions. I'll be happy to answer.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
What's involved in an American renting a car in Canada? And not to be an UGLY American but is it safe for us to be driving in their country? We drove from Skagwway to Yukon with no issues but most folks on the road were Americans also I think.

Car rentals work just the same as in the US. I am not sure if you are afraid of our driving or us, but I think you will make out just fine :) Canada is one of the friendliest countries in the world.

Car rentals work just the same as in the US. I am not sure if you are afraid of our driving or us, but I think you will make out just fine :) Canada is one of the friendliest countries in the world.

I agree. Some other Provinces and their cities I would not suggest driving in unless you are used to city driving in the US, but generally, Nova Scotia is not that fast pace traffic wise. They country driving and highway driving are pretty laid back! I would be afraid of our pot holes though.... This has become a joke in our city.

thanks to all for posting the info. For St John, I am leading to the Fundy Trail. My wife and I love to hike and I'm hoping the 2nd week in Sept will be beautiful there. My question about this is how long of a drive is it from the port to the park and what is the best route? Also, are there any particular trails we should be doing?

Steve

It is about 45 minute drive to the Fundy Trail...only one road....great weather that time of year...and it is Saint John....St. Johns is in Newfoundland and we are a little touchy about the spelling....have a great trip!

Edited by mcgratru

• 1 month later...

Or you could just walk around Halifax's wonderful waterfront area. If you want to go to Citadel Hill it is quite a steep uphill walk but a short taxi ride.

http://destinationhalifax.com/visitors/things-to-do-in-halifax

http://www.halifaxseaport.com/pdfs/H..._July%2012.pdf

http://cruisehalifax.ca/

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1989879

Edited by maryann ns

We've been to these ports twice, so did slightly different things both times.

Here are our VERY DETAILED reviews of the excursions we experienced, with pictures...

Detailed information on the Celebrity Constellation and the ports of Boston, Portland, Halifax, Quebec City, Charlottetown, Sydney, and Saint John:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/constellation.html

Carnival Glory and the ports of Boston, St. John and Halifax:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/carnival-glory.html

Feel free to email me any questions. I'll be happy to answer.

Excellent, detailed reviews. Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Any highly recommended local tour companies that would be able to take 2-3 adults from the pier to the Hopewell Rocks? We arrive on Oct.1 and do not want to take the ship's shore excursion for 7 hrs. on a bus with a box lunch.

Just want to be able to walk on the ocean floor. That is why we are looking for a shorter tour -- 2 hrs. going, 2 hrs. back and about an hr. to explore.

MARAPRINCE

Any highly recommended local tour companies that would be able to take 2-3 adults from the pier to the Hopewell Rocks? We arrive on Oct.1 and do not want to take the ship's shore excursion for 7 hrs. on a bus with a box lunch.

Just want to be able to walk on the ocean floor. That is why we are looking for a shorter tour -- 2 hrs. going, 2 hrs. back and about an hr. to explore.

MARAPRINCE

The drive may take you longer than 2 hours, maybe closer to 2 and a half. St Martins is closer and you would experience a similar change in tides but you wouldn't see the flower pots that are at the Rocks.

MARAPRINCE

I cannot yet recommend them, but we are booked for a tour with Dave's Taxi Tours in Halifax in September. They have good reviews on Trip Advisor. Will try to remember to come back to this board to let you know how it goes.

Also, the ability to walk on the ocean floor will depend upon the tide. When we are scheduled to be there, there's no chance for us to do that because of timing. :(

Edited by jc4me

I cannot yet recommend them, but we are booked for a tour with Dave's Taxi Tours in Halifax in September. They have good reviews on Trip Advisor. Will try to remember to come back to this board to let you know how it goes.

Also, the ability to walk on the ocean floor will depend upon the tide. When we are scheduled to be there, there's no chance for us to do that because of timing. :(

Hopewell Rocks are in St. John and not in Halifax. So, I am not sure that this company would be able to help us.:confused:

Low tide will occur from 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM. We arrive at 7 AM and we would be on our way back prior to 3:30 PM.

Thank you.

Maraprince

The drive may take you longer than 2 hours, maybe closer to 2 and a half. St Martins is closer and you would experience a similar change in tides but you wouldn't see the flower pots that are at the Rocks.

St. Martins doesn't even come close! :( We did this one on an earlier cruise and had to wait our turn to even enter the beach area due to the amount of tour groups all arriving at the same time. Tide was already coming in and we were so far away from the actual caves that the best we could do with the amount of time we were given was use our zoom lens to take photos.

Thanks anyway.

MARAPRINCE

Hopewell Rocks are in St. John and not in Halifax. So, I am not sure that this company would be able to help us.:confused:

Low tide will occur from 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM. We arrive at 7 AM and we would be on our way back prior to 3:30 PM.

Thank you.

Maraprince

So sorry! The tour company is in Saint John, not Halifax. Got my ports mixed up...:eek: