Celebrity's Dress Code

ladyjane550

Another option would be a tux made out of blue jean material.

Ewww! Too Duck Dynasty for my taste! I just think following the dress codes(to a degree) and at least bringing a sport coat shows SOME respect for your fellow travelers & perhaps shows some respect for yourself! We used to do Cunard & they will ban pax who don't follow the codes. That why each line has it's Schtick so to speak. You do not need coats or ties on Oceania, but jeans are NOT permitted at night in the restaurants.As for me I follow the codes. I did get a slob ejected out of the dining room for wearing bathing shorts(dry) & a wife beater T shirt on formal night. I will complain to the Maitre D on Celebrity if I see this in their dining room at night.I don't pay good $$ to see pax flaunting the dresscodes for their own selfish reasons. As I said earlier, I have no problem with a nice shirt & nice pants but below that standard, unless it follows the code, then please stay home!

Ewww! Too Duck Dynasty for my taste! I just think following the dress codes(to a degree) and at least bringing a sport coat shows SOME respect for your fellow travelers & perhaps shows some respect for yourself! We used to do Cunard & they will ban pax who don't follow the codes. That why each line has it's Schtick so to speak. You do not need coats or ties on Oceania, but jeans are NOT permitted at night in the restaurants.As for me I follow the codes. I did get a slob ejected out of the dining room for wearing bathing shorts(dry) & a wife beater T shirt on formal night. I will complain to the Maitre D on Celebrity if I see this in their dining room at night.I don't pay good $$ to see pax flaunting the dresscodes for their own selfish reasons. As I said earlier, I have no problem with a nice shirt & nice pants but below that standard, unless it follows the code, then please stay home!

I doubt the denim tux was a serious suggestion. That would be a modern twist on those awful leisure suits that were popular in the '70s.

I wouldn't wear a bathing suit and wife beater to the dining room for dinner even on a casual night. I wouldn't even wear that for lunch. That is pretty bad.

I agree. The whole thing is very one-sided.

The reality is that we live in a less and less formal culture, for better or worse. It goes in cycles and I'm sure formality will come back. But right now a lot of people don't care for it, and don't want to dress up. It's hard for a company that makes its money catering to the public to stand up to large numbers of people who don't wish to follow those rules.

The decline in formality is reflected in workplaces, which used to require dark suits, white shirts and ties for their male employees. Over time, they have become more and more casual, and few workplaces require suits and ties at all anymore. People got sick of wearing them. I still have to wear a suit and tie every day and I'm sick of it. Once I retire, I'll never put on a suit again.

What is sad is that I actually love dressing in gowns. Now that I'm retired, I don't have as many opportunities as I did when I worked. I used to go to a lot of charity events, award shows, etc., which required formal attire. But when you start feeling out of place in formal attire on a cruise line, it is time for me to step down to cocktail attire and, I fear I will still be over dressed, if my last cruise was any indication.

The problem lies with the passengers. The menu in the MDR on formal night usually has prime rib, lobster, etc. and most people want to eat there no matter what. Few people will forgo that just because of a dress code. It's up to Celebrity to turn away anyone that's underdressed and we all know that rarely happens. And the dress code offenders are the one's that take advantage of their leniency.

A few years back on formal night a pax somehow got into the diningroom in bathing shorts & wifebeater style T shirt. When he sat at the table near us, his tablemates looked shocked! I immediatly got the Maitre D & demanded he tell the diner to go up & change properly. After guy left, I found out his tablemates(who were British)were told by him that he was going to purposly underdress & see what would happen. We never saw him in the diningroom again. Not sure how he did in the buffets as you need at least a nice shirt & slacks. I won't complain about most pax underdressing, but I will for someone dressed like that at night. During the day I'm fine with it, just not at night.

What is sad is that I actually love dressing in gowns. Now that I'm retired, I don't have as many opportunities as I did when I worked. I used to go to a lot of charity events, award shows, etc., which required formal attire. But when you start feeling out of place in formal attire on a cruise line, it is time for me to step down to cocktail attire and, I fear I will still be over dressed, if my last cruise was any indication.

If you only cruise in the Caribbean, especially on one of the older ships or shorter itineraries you will probably see a lot less formal dressing. I don't know why you would fear being overdressed on a formal night. Have you been on many Celebrity cruises? There aren't many "Ball Gowns", but certainly plenty of more modern long gowns and lots of cocktail attire.

I think you should dress up as much as you like and enjoy it. Who cares what the others are wearing? If you enjoy it, just do it. You'll probably garner some positive attention, and your pictures will be beautiful.

The day may come when I enjoy dressing up again. If so, I'll do so on formal night, regardless of what anybody else is doing.

A few years back on formal night a pax somehow got into the diningroom in bathing shorts & wifebeater style T shirt. When he sat at the table near us, his tablemates looked shocked! I immediatly got the Maitre D & demanded he tell the diner to go up & change properly. After guy left, I found out his tablemates(who were British)were told by him that he was going to purposly underdress & see what would happen. We never saw him in the diningroom again. Not sure how he did in the buffets as you need at least a nice shirt & slacks. I won't complain about most pax underdressing, but I will for someone dressed like that at night. During the day I'm fine with it, just not at night.

Sounds as if he did it as a joke. It's a shame he was apparently too embarrassed to change and come back and enjoy the MDR for the rest of the trip.

I do not fear being overdressed but I would absolutely hate to be underdressed:eek: DH always brings his tux (lighter than his suit lol) and if men realized how hot they looked in a tux rather than in clothes we see them in everyday, they might think twice about dressing up lol. As far as the women dressing to code, while noticing a few as described above, we mainly see women who have made a real effort and they look stunning but their partners. not so much. Just a bare minimum effort. sad We will continue to enjoy formal nights as a special evening as long as it lasts:D

I do not fear being overdressed but I would absolutely hate to be underdressed:eek: DH always brings his tux (lighter than his suit lol) and if men realized how hot they looked in a tux rather than in clothes we see them in everyday, they might think twice about dressing up lol. As far as the women dressing to code, while noticing a few as described above, we mainly see women who have made a real effort and they look stunning but their partners. not so much. Just a bare minimum effort. sad We will continue to enjoy formal nights as a special evening as long as it lasts:D

You're convincing me to go back to my tux idea.....:D

Settle down! I was just joking (tounge in cheek, so to speak). I attached a quote from another poster who was joking around about different colored tuxedo options. Way to serious dude.

Edited by davekathy

I doubt the denim tux was a serious suggestion. That would be a modern twist on those awful leisure suits that were popular in the '70s.

I wouldn't wear a bathing suit and wife beater to the dining room for dinner even on a casual night. I wouldn't even wear that for lunch. That is pretty bad.

I'm glad my post didn't go over your head.

If you only cruise in the Caribbean, especially on one of the older ships or shorter itineraries you will probably see a lot less formal dressing. I don't know why you would fear being overdressed on a formal night. Have you been on many Celebrity cruises? There aren't many "Ball Gowns", but certainly plenty of more modern long gowns and lots of cocktail attire.

Yes, I've been on many Celebrity Cruises. It wasn't a ball gown I was wearing, just formal attire. Saw very, very few long formal attire and maybe 1/2 in cocktail attire (1/2 may be a streatch), the rest were in daytime dresses, summer maxi dresses, pants and tops, etc.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Yes, I've been on many Celebrity Cruises. It wasn't a ball gown I was wearing, just formal attire. Saw very, very few long formal attire and maybe 1/2 in cocktail attire (1/2 may be a streatch), the rest were in daytime dresses, summer maxi dresses, pants and tops, etc.

Sorry, I thought you had said you were Select on Celebrity so just assumed you hadn't sailed much with them.

Sorry, I thought you had said you were Select on Celebrity so just assumed you hadn't sailed much with them.

I'll be Elite after my next cruise, so I guess I consider myself as cruising quite a bit with them. You might not think so, but I do. Plus, it doesn't matter if I've cruised with them 2 or 100 times, you still get a feel for the dress on a ship no matter how many times you sail. FYI, I've done the caribbean, New England, Europe and Mediterranean, just to name a few of the places I've saild with Celebrity and I've noticed over the years that the formal nights are becoming more and more, what I would call, country club casual with a lot of daytime attire.

Edited by NLH Arizona

IMO it’s not rude for some Cruisers not to comply with the published evening dress guidelines. All the main stream Cruise lines are at fault here by not enforcing their own guidelines. Simple!

You cannot speak for others by saying “don't denigrate the ambiance for the rest of us that enjoy formal dress”. We are part of the "US" and how others elect to dress doesn’t affect our evening and enjoyment in the MDR. Bummer for you if it does! Not that it matters we comply with the evening dress guidelines and stay dressed that way the entire evening. Simple!

Up to now I have alway followed the guidelines on Celebrity and it has never bothered me when others, even sitting at my table were not.

The decline in formality is reflected in workplaces, which used to require dark suits, white shirts and ties for their male employees. Over time, they have become more and more casual, and few workplaces require suits and ties at all anymore. People got sick of wearing them. I still have to wear a suit and tie every day and I'm sick of it. Once I retire, I'll never put on a suit again.

Not only workplaces. Unfortunately have been to a couple of funerals recently and most men were not wearing a suit and tie. Not even a blazer or jacket and tie.

Up to now I have alway followed the guidelines on Celebrity and it has never bothered me when others, even sitting at my table were not.

The fact is Charlie, in life, our friends have common interests and principles. Whether it's political beliefs, religious beliefs or just simple social issues. I would not be friends with anyone that would purposely do something against the rules or regulations. To me, that's a window into who they really are. Would sitting at the dinner table on formal night with someone wearing Dockers and a short sleeve Polo pullover kill me? No. Would I look at that person differently than those that abide by the dress code? Yes.

IMO it’s not rude for some Cruisers not to comply with the published evening dress guidelines. All the main stream Cruise lines are at fault here by not enforcing their own guidelines. Simple!Really? So the speed limit in my community is 25 but if I'm doing 40 and mow over your dog - it isn't my fault because the police weren't enforcing the speed limit? :eek:

You cannot speak for others by saying “don't denigrate the ambiance for the rest of us that enjoy formal dress”. We are part of the "US" and how others elect to dress doesn’t affect our evening and enjoyment in the MDR. Bummer for you if it does! Not that it matters we comply with the evening dress guidelines and stay dressed that way the entire evening. Simple!

There are my of "us" that believe to not comply with the dress code is not only rude but does denigrate the entire ambiance. Thus our decision for a table for 2 on formal nights - dress in jeans at the next table - not going to impair my enjoyment a bit. :D

There are my of "us" that believe to not comply with the dress code is not only rude but does denigrate the entire ambiance. Thus our decision for a table for 2 on formal nights - dress in jeans at the next table - not going to impair my enjoyment a bit. :D

Can't speak for the "rest of us". Maybe a "few of us" or "most of us" but not "the rest of us".

Really? So the speed limit in my community is 25 but if I'm doing 40 and mow over your dog - it isn't my fault because the police weren't enforcing the speed limit?

If someone can't read or understand the posted speed limit (guidlines) then the cop needs to stop that person, explain and enforce it. If the cop doesn't advise that person then replace or fire the cop for not doing his/her job. But the cop will be happy to see us compling every evening as we make our way to our table for two. And for those that don't follow the simple guidlines, well we wouldn't know because we don't notice. Too many other fun things to occupy our time.

Edited by davekathy

Wow, lots of testy-ness!

My turn. Cruising has changed over the years. The ambiance and romance have been replaced by fun ships, do your own things, surfing on deck, and other gimmicks. It all had to happen, I guess, to sell cabins and make stock holders happy. If I could afford it, I would use Crystal or do the Queen, but I can't.

Not to embarrass any cruise line, not too long ago I was on a cruise out of Puerto Rico. The 7 day event was populated with loud, booze drinking, and poorly dressed folks. On formal night there were so many people allowed in the MDR with shorts and flip flops, it was horrible. The cruise folks did nothing. To add insult to injury people were getting sick and were obviously intoxicated but never asked to leave the MDR.

I guess it is also a factor of society today. Maybe cruising will again become a place to at least "pretend" to be elegant and where people cherish etiquette and great behavior. Food for thought? Maybe. Or maybe making a buck is less important to being classy and a bit more elegant. There are places for punk music, blue jeans, flip flops, tank tops, but the main dinning room on a formal night is not one of them. Or, maybe even casual nights as well?

My last 2 cents - leaving this discussion so I don't get into trouble with censors.

:-)