Cash for bar tips?

Essexlass2

Never having cruised with RCI before, we are only used to paying for everything with a cruise card. On RCI do we pay bar staff tips in cash and, if so, does it have to be US$? We will have paid our tips in advance as we will be dining whenever we wish but we think that doesn't include bar staff. Can you advise us please?

Never having cruised with RCI before, we are only used to paying for everything with a cruise card. On RCI do we pay bar staff tips in cash and, if so, does it have to be US$? We will have paid our tips in advance as we will be dining whenever we wish but we think that doesn't include bar staff. Can you advise us please?

All drinks purchased on the ship have 15% added for gratuity. If you want to give more, there is a space on the receipt for you to add more. It's all charged to your on board account, so no cash is required.

I give a $1 US Presidential Coin with every drink, even soft drinks.

DSCN8452.jpg

Some people don't believe in doing this but my experience is that the crew remembers me and me drinks get better and my service improves!

Crew loves cash. No matter what denomination or form.

Okay, thanks folks! This will be our first RCI cruise, so if you have any advice or suggestions for us we'd appreciate it. Are there any things we shouldn't miss out on, any freebies we might like and are there plenty of sunloungers on the ships?

Crew loves cash. No matter what denomination or form.

Not sure that is correct. A few years ago, tipping with Susan B. Anthony dollars was popular on CC. Many people posted that the crew didn't like them because they were very difficult to exchange in the banks, they preferred paper money.

I usually bring $100 in regular $1 U.S. bills (They don't expire if you don't use them all on the cruise). They are easy to carry and easy for the bar tenders and others to use. It is NOT recommended to use $1 coins or $2 bills, since they are not accepted everywhere.

BTW - I did talk to a few bar tenders on my last couple of cruises and they did say they prefer cash for any extra tips, but are happy to get all tips. Adding tips to the slips does NOT guaranty that your bar tender will get your whole tip. Handing them a $1 bill(s) assures you that they get what you want them to have and it is easy for them to spend or convert to their home country's currency.

Okay, thanks folks! This will be our first RCI cruise, so if you have any advice or suggestions for us we'd appreciate it. Are there any things we shouldn't miss out on, any freebies we might like and are there plenty of sunloungers on the ships?

Welcome to RCI, what ship are you sailing?

Welcome to RCI, what ship are you sailing?

Thank you! We have booked this morning and will be on Brilliance of the Seas, soooo excited now.

Where can we find details of the dress codes please? We haven't a RCI brochure but think we will have to get one to read up on everything as it may well be a little different to what we're used to with P&O.

DSCN8452.jpg

Some people don't believe in doing this but my experience is that the crew remembers me and me drinks get better and my service improves!

My husband does this too. He also started handing out the large silver dollars (not the real silver). They really seem to like them also.

Gwen :)

Thank you! We have booked this morning and will be on Brilliance of the Seas, soooo excited now.

Where can we find details of the dress codes please? We haven't a RCI brochure but think we will have to get one to read up on everything as it may well be a little different to what we're used to with P&O.

No need to be concerned with dress codes.

Just about anything goes. MDR will have a formal night or 2, and you will see everything from tuxes and gowns to jeans and T-shirts. Non formal nights, slacks and collar shirt are the way to go.

Just got back from my 1st RCL cruise. I got the Premium drink package and it easily paid for itself. As others mentioned 15% is included with every drink and you have to sign the ticket. I loved not having to sign tickets and getting anything I wanted. I brought a stack of $1's with me and tipped them cash when I got good service. After the first two days I figured out where to go for the best made drinks and service and stuck with those continuing to tip every other drink or so a extra buck. Lets just say I had several on speed dial by the end of the week ;) No I never got drunk but I had a great time!

Sure tips were already included with the package but it was Christmas and I got GREAT service all week. Also learned a lot about the goings on in the ship I never heard before from some of them I talked to.

Have fun...

Bo

Just got back from my 1st RCL cruise. I got the Premium drink package and it easily paid for itself. As others mentioned 15% is included with every drink and you have to sign the ticket. I loved not having to sign tickets and getting anything I wanted. I brought a stack of $1's with me and tipped them cash when I got good service. After the first two days I figured out where to go for the best made drinks and service and stuck with those continuing to tip every other drink or so a extra buck. Lets just say I had several on speed dial by the end of the week ;) No I never got drunk but I had a great time!

Sure tips were already included with the package but it was Christmas and I got GREAT service all week. Also learned a lot about the goings on in the ship I never heard before from some of them I talked to.

Have fun...

Bo

Bo knows tipping. :D

DSCN8452.jpg

Funny story on this one - we were using some of the presidential dollar coins & another US person kind of gave us a tut-tut like we were being cheap because we were giving out quarters :eek: we explained they were dollar coins & they had never heard of them or seen them.

It wasn't until later on I thought about how rude they were scolding us for using quarters - there's no way they would have known how many we were giving out at a time.

Brilliance is a wonderful ship and had by far the best entertainment I ever experienced on a ship. You will love it.

When the bar is crowded, a REALLY fast way to get your drink order taken and fulfilled quickly is to stand there with a few ones in your hand visible. :)

So true! Another tip is to talk to the bar tenders and find a few that you like the first day. Gave them a few extra dollars the first day and had AWESOME service the whole cruise. It was especially nice when the Viking Lounge was packed and I only needed to get eye contact with a bar tender from across the room. By the time I made it to the bar, they handed me a drink. Of curse they got an extra dollar or two every time as well. The Premium Drink Package is nice, but great service makes it even better. It was nice to only have to sign about a half a dozen slips the whole time during my 10 night cruise.

DSCN8452.jpg

I would think they like cash too as it is immediate and non accountable.

Interesting discussion.

I have to say that other than the tips I hand out at the end of the cruise, I never really thought about tipping in cash. I didn't think the bar staff really wanted to handle cash, but I'm guessing I was wrong.

My standard practice is to double the tip provided for on the bill that comes with each drink. This is especially helpful in the dining room. I summon the drink waiter on the first night, turn on the charm, and then double his tip when he brings the drinks. From that point forward, the service I get from him is excellent. Word also spreads to the waiters, I presume, who then know they'll get a good tip at the end of the week and go out of their way to give good service.

Have fun...

Bo

And the bartenders appreciate this. With the new drink packages, they have seen their income cut back. RCCL promotes the packages with tips included, so many people do not add anything. I do know some longtime bartenders that are looking at other options because of this. I have found that a little extra the first day or so even with the packages and we did not have to move from our lounges. The bartenders would see us lying there and next thing you knew one of them were there with drinks for us. This would continue until we left the pool area late afternoon. I have found that it is not always the amount but the show of appreciation.

And the bartenders appreciate this. With the new drink packages, they have seen their income cut back. RCCL promotes the packages with tips included, so many people do not add anything. I do know some longtime bartenders that are looking at other options because of this. I have found that a little extra the first day or so even with the packages and we did not have to move from our lounges. The bartenders would see us lying there and next thing you knew one of them were there with drinks for us. This would continue until we left the pool area late afternoon. I have found that it is not always the amount but the show of appreciation.

That's an interesting point. I've never gotten the drink packages because I'm a light drinker and I don't think I'd drink enough to get my money's worth.

But if I do get the package, I'll definitely tip in cash. It always helps if you want good service.

I don't think the people who work on cruise lines are treated particularly well, and that's one thing that bothers me about the industry, much as I enjoy cruising. When I travel, I treat them nicely and tip well, and so far I've never had a problem.

Edited by vanvleckeren

I definitely feel that tipping in cash helps get me drinks quickly, and a generous pour. I'll tip most bartenders a $5.00 bill to start, and then $1's or multipules after.

All bartenders appreciate cash, and I don't do coins or anything that is not easily convertable for them.

Happy New Year to all!:)

Rick