Just Need A Bit of a Vent.

I'm just a bit frustrated, and was wondering if anyone has gone through something similar.

I disembarked off an RCI cruise 3 weeks ago and found out that they had overcharged my credit card by $4000! I've called and talked to customer service but between "trying to get in touch with the ship and the Christmas holidays, and contacting the main office in America" nothing has been done yet.

I'm usually a really patient person, and I've been polite and courteous, but it's been 3 weeks and $4000 isn't exactly chump change!

Ok vent over, thanks for reading.

With an overcharge of that much you have every right to be venting.

Why not post on the Royal Caribbean Board....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

The powers that be read through that every day to see what the North Americans are saying , and I think even they would be astonished at such an overcharge.

At least you may embarass RCI into some action.....

You may even get some compensation for the trauma they have put you through.:D

I'm just a bit frustrated, and was wondering if anyone has gone through something similar.

I disembarked off an RCI cruise 3 weeks ago and found out that they had overcharged my credit card by $4000! I've called and talked to customer service but between "trying to get in touch with the ship and the Christmas holidays, and contacting the main office in America" nothing has been done yet.

I'm usually a really patient person, and I've been polite and courteous, but it's been 3 weeks and $4000 isn't exactly chump change!

they talk on p&o facebook a lot of the time for the same thing, the bank has got a hold of your funds and it can take up to 30 days to get things right....this is a copy & paste from the p&o site so it should be similar

When using credit or debit cards, we obtain pre-authorisations and some banks hold these for up to 30 days. This may appear as a double charge to your credit or debit card until your bank releases the hold

Hi RKMW,

It's not a hold or a pending charge. Those have dropped off ages ago. This is a legit charge. There are 2 charges on my CC, one for the amount I spent on my seapass account and a separate one for $4086.

:(

if its not a hold do you know what the $4086 is for, what did your bank say

When I called the bank to dispute the charge (which they are also investigating on their end) all they could say was that RCI charged two different amounts. They said it could take up to 45 days for the investigation to conclude.

I'm just grateful that I used a CC and not my debit card.

The customer service agent at RCI said, that the charge is for a purchase, but that they aren't sure what the purchase is! So they have the financial controller from on board the Rhapsody trying to figure it out.

When I called the bank to dispute the charge (which they are also investigating on their end) all they could say was that RCI charged two different amounts. They said it could take up to 45 days for the investigation to conclude.

I'm just grateful that I used a CC and not my debit card.

The customer service agent at RCI said, that the charge is for a purchase, but that they aren't sure what the purchase is! So they have the financial controller from on board the Rhapsody trying to figure it out.

I can understand why you are upset - I would be too. With credit card transactions, it is usually up to the trader to prove that the customer actually incurred the debt. You would know that you didn't buy anything of that value, so they are not going to be able to prove it. Maybe another customer bought a very expensive item and it has been put on your account by mistake. Was this charge shown on your final statement that you would have received at the end of the cruise?

All the best with sorting it out.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Hi again,

I got a print out of my seapass account the night before disembarkation and my boyfriend and I went through all the charges just to make sure everything was correct.

Everything was fine. We got off the ship on a Thursday but stayed in Sydney a few extra days. When we got home, I checked my account and was like :eek:

There were also lots of pending charges on my card (but I knew that was normal) and gave it a few days to see if it would drop off. A few days later, everything that was pending dropped off but there were 2 hard charges left on my card. 1 for the amount on my print out and the one for $4000

Hi again,

I got a print out of my seapass account the night before disembarkation and my boyfriend and I went through all the charges just to make sure everything was correct.

Everything was fine. We got off the ship on a Thursday but stayed in Sydney a few extra days. When we got home, I checked my account and was like :eek:

There were also lots of pending charges on my card (but I knew that was normal) and gave it a few days to see if it would drop off. A few days later, everything that was pending dropped off but there were 2 hard charges left on my card. 1 for the amount on my print out and the one for $4000

This is even more intriguing. If you bought something on the ship it would have shown up on the print-out of your account on the last night - unless they claim that you rushed to the jewellery store that night and spent up big!!

I had something similar happen a few years ago on a different cruise line. The night before the cruise ended, I had made a small purchase in one of the shops at the same time another passenger made an expensive purchase. Fortunately, I noticed the huge discrepancy on the final bill that was slipped under the door on the morning I disembarked, and I was able to get it sorted out down at Guest Services. It took some time, and they had to involve the shop manager and pull receipts.

Check your final bill from the morning you disembarked, and compare any late charges to your activities the last night. In my case, they had billed my purchase to the other passenger, and I had been billed for the large purchase. It may not do any good, but it's a place to start.

Good luck!

Hey Austraveller,

They cant even claim that because I got a print out of my account around midnight and the shops on board the ship close at 11!

We also had the all-inclusive drink package so we didn't even use our card to buy drinks.

Sorry, I saw this after my post.:o

So sorry this happened to you. Yes it was a fantastic cruise, even with the layover at Luganville and the long long line at guest relations on the final day.:mad:

Your statement should at least have the transaction invoice number and the department/shop etc that initiated the charge. This will isolate to some degree where the purchase was made.

Looks to me like it is someone else's spend on your sea pass. Hopefully your bank will be able to put a freeze on the amount as a disputed transaction for 60 days.

Regards, Hugh

Hi Hugh!

It was a great cruise! I didn't mind that extra sea day to be honest because I was already tired from all the port days up to that point! :p

That charge doesn't come up on my seapass account at all. Everything on my print out was correct when we checked it the night before we disembarked.

RCI cant tell me where the purchase was made (which shop or what items) nobody seems to know where the charge came from. The guy handling my "case file" told me he's been liaising with the onboard financial controller and the corporate offices in America to find out where the charge is coming from.

Not sure if this will help but It sure seem to work for me

I was recently waiting for $1200.00 owed to me from RCI after 7 weeks and numerous emails I sent one final email saying my patience had run out and I was taking the matter to the Ombudsman and low and behold I received a phone call the next day saying the funds would be refunded in 2 days which it was , maybe it might have just been coincidence but first time I have had a call from RCI

Edited by chester32

The best thing to do straight away is to report the transaction as fraudulent. You are legally required to do that with your card provider.

Then sit back and wait for it to sort itself out. It no longer becomes your problem and it is then an issue for the bank and the cruise line to sort out. The cruise line is more likely to negotiate a resolution faster with a bank than an individual.

Why stress yourself out sorting out problems when you can get someone else to sort out the problems for free.

Hi Hugh!

It was a great cruise! I didn't mind that extra sea day to be honest because I was already tired from all the port days up to that point! :p

That charge doesn't come up on my seapass account at all. Everything on my print out was correct when we checked it the night before we disembarked.

RCI cant tell me where the purchase was made (which shop or what items) nobody seems to know where the charge came from. The guy handling my "case file" told me he's been liaising with the onboard financial controller and the corporate offices in America to find out where the charge is coming from.

I think you have come to the point where you should advise your bank that you dispute this amount. It will be up to the cruiseline to prove it.

Hi Karate and Aus - I've already disputed the charge with my CC company. They opened up an investigation but said it could take up to 45 days.

I'm not stressing over it, just frustrated that no one knows anything and it's been 3 weeks. LOL

That is what happened to me when a hotel double-charged us. The CC company has to give the trader time to come back to them and prove that the charge is legitimate. It they cannot prove it (provide a copy of a credit card slip with your signature) then the CC company will not pay it.

I wouldn't worry. Once the CC company advises the cruiseline that the charge is disputed they will then work hard to prove their case. At the moment they mightn't be doing too much about it.

Just relax, let the CC company do all the work and enjoy the New Year. Please let us know when it is resolved, as I am sure it will be in your favour. :)