Has this become common practice for stewards?

I'm sorry to hear of your cabin steward woes. For the most part, we have had good folks tending to our cabins.

Of course on our last cruise, the Allure, my son and his friend were next door but had a different cabin steward. We told him upon our first meeting that their beds needed to be separated. They were just best friends, not that kind of friends. (the guys had also said the same thing to him they told me later on) We noticed after dinner, the beds still were together. Once again, I saw him coming out of the cabin and reminded him to please get them separated for the guys before it got too late. He said he would take care of it. :(

We came back that night around 11:45PM and ready to hit the sack (remember this is day 1, it's been a long day). The boys weren't back yet so I quickly popped into their cabin to check the situation. The beds had not been touched! I was so not happy. After speaking to this person 3 times between myself and the boys, I was quite ticked. I called housekeeping at nearly midnight and told them the situation. They sent a group of 3 people and it took them a good 15-20 minutes to change everything. The boys came back before they were done and were shocked that he never took care of it. This was a first for me as they normally are really good.

We thought at first we had less than stellar service on our last cruise. My DH and I are very low key. We don't ask for much. Our only real request wasn't listened to in a timely fashion (it was for a sharps container), and we felt like we weren't given attention. By the end of the cruise, though, we realized how hard the steward worked. I actually felt upset at myself for thinking that we were getting a slacker, when it was really the opposite.

I know that doesn't seem to be everyone's experience. I really do think that having to add rooms is making it harder for the staff to do the job we all expect.

I was on the Navigator TA this past fall. The room steward was terrible. Same problem as you, would leave the room about 8, come back about noon or so, and room not cleaned. I don't stay up late on cruises, so every night about 10pm he would be knocking at the door wanting to ready the room for the evening when I was already in bed. I had late seating and in the past they would clean it while I was at dinner. I agree, I think they are given too many rooms to clean. Oh, I also always put the clean room sign on the door, but it didn't help

We never had that problem on RCI, Carnival, or Princess but we did on NCL. It was very frustrating especially at night when they would come in around 10 pm. We put the sign on the door but it made no difference. We just had them give us clean towels and leave. I hope we don't have that issue on our cruise. If we do we may do the daily tip and see if it helps. It seems to me they have to do all of their assigned rooms so it would be better to do the early diners first and then get the late diners later, when they know the time they are going to eat. Before on all our cruises except NCL, they always seemed to know when we would be gone and when we would return and they were through when we got back. It may not be an urgent matter but it is certainly nice when you don't have to worry about being disturbed.

It's not a matter of standards going down but just hit or miss on the individual stewards. On our first 3 royal caribbean sailings (Empress 02, Voyager 04, Liberty 07) we experienced what you described. It didn't matter what we did or what the timing was, every time I went back to use the cabin the steward would just be starting the room. On our most recent 3 (Oasis 10, Independence 12, Grandeur 13) we never saw the stewards. Our rooms just magically got cleaned while we were out of our cabin and we usually didn't even have that consistent of a schedule which really made it impressive. Their is no way to know how a steward will be; it's not falling standards, ship size, or ship age that dictate it.

My husband and I have not faced this problem but what we have noticed is that it seems the stateroom attendants are taking longer to make-up the rooms. Or spending more time on the rooms.

We just returned from two cruises on Mariner of the Seas in December 2013 and compared to our cruise earlier last year (January 2013), we see the stateroom attendants -- not just ours -- still making up the rooms at noon. Sometimes even up to 1pm.

We usually don't see them much after the "morning peak hour" and "evening peak hour".

Of course, it might also because we were on the New Year cruise (28 December 2013 to 2 January 2014) so people might be more relaxed and waking up later in the morning?

I will venture to guess that perhaps the other staterooms that your stateroom attendant are in-charge of needed to be made-up at odd timings and yours got "pushed back"?

But I agree that not to have your room ready by night time is frustrating.

Soccermommie, YES, we experienced the same thing on the Legend. We also would head out early both in the morning and evening. Once I had to ask our cabin attendant to clean our room next because just as you say, our sign was out for a couple of hours, yet he seemed unwilling to skip rooms, even though he knew we had been out. We would like to return after trivia and more often than not our rooms still weren't made up.

I've only noticed this the last year. I am truly believing its because of the automatic tipping.

There are some good and some bad. Our JS cabin guy made us one towel animal in 11 nights. My son on Deck 6 got four. Go figure.

I agree, I think it's because of the auto tipping. On Voyager last Feb our room attendant would clean our room about 3 times a day, I was truly impressed. Every time you left your room he would go back in and tidy the towels and it was obvious he had been back. On Radiance last Dec our room attendant was lucky to get to our room before dinner. Also we had towel animals every night on Voyager and on Radiance we received 3, same length cruise (9days).

In all of our past cruises, we never once had a problem with our cabin being made up in a timely manner. However, I don't think I would tip extra each day to get the service I should be getting. We usually tip above and beyond on the last day, not for service we want to get but thankful for the service we did receive.

We just got off Serenade on December 28th and our room steward was great. We eat in the Windjammer and are early to bed people - once he figured that out on Day 1 (which he was thrilled with because he could do our room first and get it out of the way) the room was always ready for bed early.

The morning varied a little, but not much and it was never an issue. We always had ice in our ice bucket.

I'm not the type that doesn't want to see our room attendant - I like talking to them and getting to know them!

Leaving port out of SJ, LATE - got our big bags at about 3 and then waited, waited, waited, and then later, our steward came with our 2 little bags and introduced himself.... This we have never had on HAL, NCL or carnival.

Just wondering if that is normal for that cruise line? or the port hours?

This one was really good, good impression on Royal:

We give $10 up front for the week, .... actually I asked for two ice buckets morning and night - and the steward - Seville, gave me a HUGE ice bucket x 2 per day.

This time I stayed in bed one day ill, Pink eye and headache and he wanted to quickly clean:

I don't know what was going on in the bathroom, but Steward said we needed a plumber - and BAM - he was there......

Gave him $2 cause he fixed something I didn't even know was wrong, and he did a FAST sweep of the room so I could rest.

We did confuse him on 2 nights, we have weird hours, eat early, nap about till 8 or 9, then go dancing all night.....

I think next time, I would put a note about that - weird hours!

I'm not used to being waited on at home, so if I get a less than stellar performance from some hard working people, I barely notice.... I can always go to gym or spa if I need to rack up more new towels LOL

: )

Edited by kcdancerkc

On our 2 cruises we never experienced that. The cabin stewards were exceptional. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we are generous and tip them $20 a day.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I've been thinking of creating a little intro letter to leave for the steward the first evening (it also seems to be more and more rare to actually meet the steward upon embarkation) indicating our typical routine (out of the cabin from 0730-11 or 12 and then again from 5:30-8:30) and that we will always put out our 'make up room' sign when we leave the cabin and the 'do not disturb' when we return. Would this be rude? I don't want to offend a really great steward who notices our routine and cleans our cabin accordingly, but I also don't want a repeat of the last 3 cruises - always changing our routine/schedule to accommodate the steward.

I kinda doubt a letter like this would have improved things for you on the cruise. You either get a cabin attendant like you had before or someone doing his Routine like the one on this cruise. I doubt the letter would have changed a thing. As you said yourself, the Situation repeated itself, so after the first time the cabin attendant knew, just like if you had written the letter, but still didn´t change his routine.

ETA and not directly related to the OP´s Situation, but more a General comment:

I use my Do not disturb / Make up room signs as well and sometimes the Make up room sign seems to be "ignored" for a loooong time / hours. However I do realize this often will be at a time when most others have their Make up room sign out as well. The cabin attendants just can´t clean a dozen rooms at the same time and thus despite the sign being out they may have a dozen other signs out as well and will have to pick a order to work on them.

Edited by Paulxyz2004

Our cabin stewards have been far more accommodating on Carnival. That's not saying our RCI stewards have been poor, but the level of service is noticeable. We only got one or two towel animals each RCI cruise we've been on, and I really appreciate towel animals and you get a different one every day on Carnival...but idk, it's not a huge issue for us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

The number of towel animals is not a direct indication of the cabin attendants Service. These days the cruise line / Supervisors determine when and how many towel animals you get. It´s true though on Royal they have reduced the number of them to save work load for cabin attendants, cost and environmental resources.

I wish we could do away with the "room steward" altogether. The reason I cruise is to be free of obligations. I don't enjoy the feeling of needing to hide all my earrings or last nights clothing just so a stranger can come in and fiddle with my bedsheets and give me towels. I CAN open & close the curtains all by myself. And, I don't enjoy the fact that someone who just touched 50 other peoples' stuff is now touching my stuff. I value privacy, not communal living. I don't enjoy feeling like I must vacate the cabin in the morning and in the evening so the steward can "do his thing". I don't want to be on a "set" schedule... sometimes I'd like to have room service for breakfast, and not go out until mid-day. I don't like feeling pressured to leave the room so an employee can do something I don't want done in the first place. When you place a "do not disturb" sign, the steward always knocks anyway, so I end up being disturbed.

Honestly, having to endure a steward is like taking a stranger on a vacation with you.

I've considered paying them $20 at the beginning of the trip to just LEAVE ME ALONE. But that also perturbs me, because they're already paid to do the work, PLUS getting my pre-paid tips, so I don't believe I should have to pay them a 3rd amount to NOT work.

I wish that instead of a room steward, we could just have a "service window" at the end of each hall. So if I need 2 towels or another roll of toilet paper, I could just go get it myself. I don't have any idea what people do with buckets of ice in their rooms, but if I desired ice I'd like to get it myself from an ice machine.

I hate the feeling of obligation when I'm supposed to be vacationing. Have any of you ever just told the room steward that you don't want service on that trip? I remember one time telling the steward that I didn't need anything except 2 rolls of toilet paper (I was thinking ahead so I wouldn't have to let him in that night too), and he told me they aren't allowed to leave more than 1 roll per room. Good grief.

Sorry for the rant. I just wish I wasn't forced to be checked upon twice per day.

Edited by styxfire

Stateroom attendants have a really hard job and just because they do not do things in the order that one expects, does not mean they are doing it wrong or trying to be difficult in any way.

I have sailed 3 times on Allure and each time I have spent the time chatting to my attendant. They all explained how depending on the type of rooms they have, depends how many cabins are assigned in their section. If they have all inside rooms or oceanviews, they can be assigned as many as 20 rooms. If they have balconies or suites, it is more like 14 or 15 (due to the extra time each week for balcony cleaning and the larger room). They also went into other aspects of their job but those are not up for discussion on this thread.

Bearing in mind the rooms are done twice a day, they have to get them done the best way they can. With regards to them knocking on doors whether there was a card or not, some people are diligent and always leave the card and some don't, so therefore, if the attendant is sure they have seen a person leave but no card has been left, there is no issue in knocking on the door and going in. On my first ever cruise, despite being asked to leave the card I did sometimes forget and I felt bad that I had made his job a little more difficult (although he was super lovely about it and we had a laugh about my memory!)

They are entitled to a break as well. On Allure their morning shift was starting at 8 or 9 (whether port or sea day) and finishes at 1pm. They start again at 5pm and have to work until sometimes 10pm.

4 or 5 hours to clean up to 20 rooms and then turndown in the evenings is not a lot of time.

I am sorry OP had a 'bad' experience but I am sure it is not like this in all cases.

Spend a little time talking to your attendant, in my experience, they really appreciate being treated nicely as some people, and I am not suggesting anyone on here, can be really vile to their attendant for no particular reason.

Jo :)

I've considered paying them $20 at the beginning of the trip to just LEAVE ME ALONE. But that also perturbs me, because they're already paid to do the work, PLUS getting my pre-paid tips, so I don't believe I should have to pay them a 3rd amount to NOT work.

Sorry for the rant. I just wish I wasn't forced to be checked upon twice per day.

Firstly, whilst there are changes currently coming into play with RCI and how they pay their attendants, they are not currently 'paid' as such by RCI. Their pay is the gratuities they receive from guests. RCI only pay them a maximum of $50 a month, the rest of their pay is what a guest gives them. $50 over a 30 day month and 10 hours working a day is less than $0.17c an hour - hardly what I would call 'pay'!

Secondly, if you do not wish to be disturbed, that is fine, you aren't being 'forced' into anything. On my 2nd cruise I didn't want anything one day and was feeling pretty rotten so just put the do not disturb on the door and that was that. A note was placed outside stating they had noted I did not want to be disturbed and giving a number to call should I need anything. No fuss, no nothing.

Secondly, if you do not wish to be disturbed, that is fine, you aren't being 'forced' into anything. On my 2nd cruise I didn't want anything one day and was feeling pretty rotten so just put the do not disturb on the door and that was that. A note was placed outside stating they had noted I did not want to be disturbed and giving a number to call should I need anything. No fuss, no nothing.

She did mention that she tried this and it didn't work as the steward knocked anyway. I have not had that happen, but I know others who have.

My suggestion would be to speak face to face with your steward on the fist day and make clear that you will not appreciate being disturbed when the sign is up. Indicate that you require service only once per day, and minimal service (towels/TP) at that.

If the steward continues to knock or enter when you have the sign up then speak with a housekeeping supervisor.

Edited by BekkaW
Typo

I I don't have any idea what people do with buckets of ice in their rooms, but if I desired ice I'd like to get it myself from an ice machine.

Mostly it's for keeping wine cold :) the aren't ice machines like a land hotel, so you need to have the steward bring it.

I hope your next steward is an improvement, friends of ours once had a terrible steward and it really dampened their enjoyment of the cruise.

She did mention that she tried this and it didn't work as the steward knocked anyway. I have not had that happen, but I know others who have.

My suggestion would be to speak face to face with your steward on the fist day and make clear that you will not appreciate being disturbed when the sign is up. Indicate that you require service only once per day, and minimal service (towels/TP) at that.

If the steward continues to knock or enter when you have the sign up then speak with a housekeeping supervisor.

I understand that, I read that, I was merely stating that I have not had that happen when I placed the Do Not Disturb sign out - making a point that the attendant knocking is not the norm but it unfortunately does happen sometimes.

I wish we could do away with the "room steward" altogether. The reason I cruise is to be free of obligations. I don't enjoy the feeling of needing to hide all my earrings or last nights clothing just so a stranger can come in and fiddle with my bedsheets and give me towels. I CAN open & close the curtains all by myself. And, I don't enjoy the fact that someone who just touched 50 other peoples' stuff is now touching my stuff. I value privacy, not communal living. I don't enjoy feeling like I must vacate the cabin in the morning and in the evening so the steward can "do his thing". I don't want to be on a "set" schedule... sometimes I'd like to have room service for breakfast, and not go out until mid-day. I don't like feeling pressured to leave the room so an employee can do something I don't want done in the first place. When you place a "do not disturb" sign, the steward always knocks anyway, so I end up being disturbed.

Honestly, having to endure a steward is like taking a stranger on a vacation with you.

I wish that instead of a room steward, we could just have a "service window" at the end of each hall. So if I need 2 towels or another roll of toilet paper, I could just go get it myself. I don't have any idea what people do with buckets of ice in their rooms, but if I desired ice I'd like to get it myself from an ice machine.

I hate the feeling of obligation when I'm supposed to be vacationing. Have any of you ever just told the room steward that you don't want service on that trip? I remember one time telling the steward that I didn't need anything except 2 rolls of toilet paper (I was thinking ahead so I wouldn't have to let him in that night too), and he told me they aren't allowed to leave more than 1 roll per room. Good grief.

Very interesting perspective. I don't share it, but I found this to be an interesting post.

FYI: Ice is used to keep things cold (sorry.. cap't obvious here), lots of people drink pop, water or other beverages with ice. Or, they leave their beverages in the bucket of ice to keep cold (the refrigerators are only "cool")

To the OP: We've not had your experience -our cabin has always been made up when we leave, and they have respected the "do not disturb" card when we've place it out. Your experience would have frustrated me as well, and I would have said something on the cruise to the desk.

I wish we could do away with the "room steward" altogether. .............................................. I just wish I wasn't forced to be checked upon twice per day.

If I felt like you I think I would just stay home:eek:

Soccermommie, YES, we experienced the same thing on the Legend. We also would head out early both in the morning and evening. Once I had to ask our cabin attendant to clean our room next because just as you say, our sign was out for a couple of hours, yet he seemed unwilling to skip rooms, even though he knew we had been out. We would like to return after trivia and more often than not our rooms still weren't made up.

I've only noticed this the last year. I am truly believing its because of the automatic tipping.

There are some good and some bad. Our JS cabin guy made us one towel animal in 11 nights. My son on Deck 6 got four. Go figure.

I agree that it is caused by automatic tipping. I do not treat the auto tip as anything more than an increase in the cost of cruising. I tip the service staff as I would if there were no auto tip, just saying...

Our cabin stewards have been far more accommodating on Carnival. That's not saying our RCI stewards have been poor, but the level of service is noticeable. We only got one or two towel animals each RCI cruise we've been on, and I really appreciate towel animals and you get a different one every day on Carnival...but idk, it's not a huge issue for us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Royal cut back once the towel animals unionized.

Apparently it's a cover-up for a job action:

Nearly 4,000 towel animals from Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas walked off the job at midnight on Saturday. According to the union representing the towel animals, UTA Local 50, contract talks between RCI, Freedom of the Seas' parent company, and the UTA have become stagnant, with the two sides far apart on many key issues. Chief among those issues are the cutbacks in hours worked, double duty as hand and wash clothes, and the switch to lower grade detergents. Negotiations began in January of this year. Union officials say RCI is out of touch with the cruise industry's booming economy and the company needs to adapt to remain competitive and maintain quality and safety levels. Freedom of the Seas will continue sailing throughout the strike but without those little terry cloth cuties. Management has asked the UDLA (United Dining Linen Animals) to fill the roles during the job action but UDLA representatives were skeptical of the plan.