Zuiderdam rooms with known a/c problems

kaylasnana

I don't think I believe this part, for sure :eek: ;) Just on CC, we've seen plenty of reports of non-responsive staff and crew onboard.

We've got friends considering an Alaska cruise on Zuiderdam. They both have health issues that make them unable to cope with heat. I really really hope our friends choose another ship.

That certainly wasn't my experience, either.;) Until I threatened to "yell blue bloody murder" at the front desk, that is.:eek:

On one of the Zuiderdam threads (hopefully this one!) I promised to report back when I heard from HAL about my concerns re my upcoming cruise. Just received this.... and if I hadn't experienced major problems in a cruise in 2012, I probably would believe them.:(

Thank you for the email regarding your upcoming ms Zuiderdam sailing on (my deletion), 2014. We are grateful that you have given us this opportunity to review your concerns and to respond to the feedback you have mentioned.

We understand that you have concerns over some comments you read on-line regarding air conditioning and plumbing issues aboard this particular ship. Like you, we feel that travel websites are a valuable resource for people who are researching the various cruise lines, and we would like to note that the majority of our reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Occasionally some issues or problems may develop which could inconvenience a guest, and Holland America Line always strives to alleviate any unfortunate situation as soon as it is brought to our attention. Most of our guests sail without incident, and our overall satisfaction ratings are very high. We assure you that guest feedback is taken very seriously, both criticisms and compliments, as this helps us to identify and address any areas where we may continue to grow and improve. We look forward to being given the opportunity to create for you the positive experience for which our sailings have been known over our 135 year history of faithfully serving our guests.

The Zuiderdam did have some unfortunate air conditioning issues that affected a couple of sailings. Our staff on board worked diligently to try and rectify this situation. They attempted to fix what they believed to be broken and when this didn’t work, they kept trouble- shooting the problem until the decision was made that special ordered parts and specialized technicians would need to be linked up with the ship in order to replace these parts. While it is unfortunate that this process took longer than predicted, this was in no way a decision made to deceive our guests, but rather a continuous attempt to fix a problem that ended up being a bigger issue than expected.

Along with the air conditioning issues, the plumbing is also a matter that gets a lot of attention. As our ships are continuously sailing and we are basically a floating hotel where situations arise at times that are not only beyond our control but also not predicted. Our plumbing works off a “vacuum” type system and while the system works well, it still can have its hiccups as it works to constantly process the output from guests. Neither of these matters are ongoing issues but ones that we are always striving to improve upon.

While we cannot make a promise that you won’t ever be faced with any issue on board, we can assure you that we do everything we can, at every moment of the day, on every one of our ships to give our guests the 5 star level of service that they have come to know us for.

Thank you once more for contacting our office. Mariners like you are the core of our business and the reason we continue sailing, and we look forward to welcoming you on board in the very near future.

Best regards,

Daphney Newtson

Special Advisor

Office of the President

I sent an email to HAL a month or so ago, specifically raising questions about the Zuiderdam issues.

Here is the first reply I received:

Dear Mr. RJ2002,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding our Signature of Excellence ship renovations. To read, view and experience the Signature of Excellence renovations please go to: http://www.hollandamerica.com/soe/Main.action

Holland America Line hopes to welcome you onboard in the near future to experience these renovations first hand.

Thank you for contacting Holland America Line we look forward to welcoming you onboard the ms Zuiderdam in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Jonnie

Holland America Line

Clearly, a non-response! I shot a note right back and asked that my question be forwarded to a supervisor for handling. Here's the second response:

Hello Mr. RJ2002,

We understand that you have concerns over some comments you read on-line regarding the air conditioning aboard ms Zuiderdam. Like you, we feel that travel websites are a valuable resource for people who are researching the various cruise lines, and we would like to note that the majority of our reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Occasionally some issues or problems may develop which could inconvenience a guest, and Holland America Line always strives to alleviate any unfortunate situation as soon as it is brought to our attention. Our onboard personnel work very quickly to address maintenance issues in a timely manner; most of our guests sail without incident, and our overall satisfaction ratings are very high. We assure you that guest feedback is taken very seriously, both criticisms and compliments, as this helps us to identify and address any areas where we may continue to grow and improve. We look forward to being given the opportunity to create for you the positive experience for which our sailings have been known over our 140 year history of faithfully serving our guests.

Best Regards,

Paula

Paula Bean

Ship Services Coordinator

Holland America Line

Startwin, you got a little more detail than I did. Interestingly, HAL has a 135 year history in the response you received, and a 140 year history in mine!

Edited by RJ2002

I sent an email to HAL a month or so ago, specifically raising questions about the Zuiderdam issues.

Here is the first reply I received:

Dear Mr. RJ2002,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding our Signature of Excellence ship renovations. To read, view and experience the Signature of Excellence renovations please go to: http://www.hollandamerica.com/soe/Main.action

Holland America Line hopes to welcome you onboard in the near future to experience these renovations first hand.

Thank you for contacting Holland America Line we look forward to welcoming you onboard the ms Zuiderdam in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Jonnie

Holland America Line

Clearly, a non-response! I shot a note right back and asked that my question be forwarded to a supervisor for handling. Here's the second response:

Hello Mr. RJ2002,

We understand that you have concerns over some comments you read on-line regarding the air conditioning aboard ms Zuiderdam. Like you, we feel that travel websites are a valuable resource for people who are researching the various cruise lines, and we would like to note that the majority of our reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Occasionally some issues or problems may develop which could inconvenience a guest, and Holland America Line always strives to alleviate any unfortunate situation as soon as it is brought to our attention. Our onboard personnel work very quickly to address maintenance issues in a timely manner; most of our guests sail without incident, and our overall satisfaction ratings are very high. We assure you that guest feedback is taken very seriously, both criticisms and compliments, as this helps us to identify and address any areas where we may continue to grow and improve. We look forward to being given the opportunity to create for you the positive experience for which our sailings have been known over our 140 year history of faithfully serving our guests.

Best Regards,

Paula

Paula Bean

Ship Services Coordinator

Holland America Line

Startwin, you got a little more detail than I did. Interestingly, HAL has a 135 year history in the response you received, and a 140 year history in mine!

Lol, now isn't that interesting!:D:cool:

I am surprised that they cannot get their 'drawer statements' straight.

At least HAL is acknowledging that there has been an issue over several cruises. Wonder if this is enough evidence for the naysayers?

Yes starting Jan 20 all cabins will have an A/C man sleeping in your cabin. He will fit under the bed where the suitcases go.

.... it still can have its hiccups as it works to constantly process the output from guests, .....

Who knew that the "output" from guests and the stuff spewed by HAL's Office of the Prez when dealing with legitimate concerns from its paying customers was the same.

For those who had problems either with A/C or plumbing problems on past cruises on this Ship I'm curious to know did they offer to move you to another room or have use of a vacant Stateroom, did you receive OBC, etc.

If someone posted about this, I apologize if I missed it!

Back in 2012 we were booked for the Panama on the Zuiderdam for April 2013 and I also wrote to HAL about my concerns regarding plumbing and the a/c. We ended up canceling the cruise as I was not willing to risk not having a/c.

Seems like we all get the same sort of letter-this is my response from them back in 2012 regarding the issues:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line concerning your upcoming cruise on the ms Zuiderdam. We would be delighted to welcome one of our valued Mariners back on board.

We understand that you have concerns over some comments you read on-line regarding Holland America Line cruises. Like you, we feel that travel websites are a valuable resource for people who are researching the various cruise lines, and we would like to note that the majority of our reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Occasionally some issues or problems may develop which could inconvenience a guest, and Holland America Line always strives to alleviate any unfortunate situation as soon as it is brought to our attention.

Most of our guests sail without incident, and our overall satisfaction ratings are very high. We assure you that guest feedback is taken very seriously, both criticisms and compliments, as this helps us to identify and address any areas where we may continue to grow and improve.

We look forward to being given the opportunity to create for you the positive experience for which our sailings have been known over our 135 year history of faithfully serving our guests.

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance. Our valued Mariner comments or suggestions are always welcome and very much appreciated. Holland America Line is confident our signature of excellence will surpass your expectations.

Thank you for your continued patronage!

Kind Regards,

Jay

Holland America Line

877-724-5425

The wording on my response to my inquiry is also very similar. I provided my cabin number located in the aft section and that got me an extra paragraph about seasickness (which was not one of my concerns).:eek:

Here is the e-mail I received a few days ago:

Thank you for your inquiry with Holland America Line. We understand that you have concerns over some comments you read on-line regarding Holland America Line cruises. Like you, we feel that travel websites are a valuable resource for people who are researching the various cruise lines, and we would like to note that the majority of our reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Occasionally some issues or problems may develop which could inconvenience a guest, and Holland America Line always strives to alleviate any unfortunate situation as soon as it is brought to our attention. Most of our guests sail without incident, and our overall satisfaction ratings are very high. We assure you that guest feedback is taken very seriously, both criticisms and compliments, as this helps us to identify and address any areas where we may continue to grow and improve.

In regards to your stateroom assignment, we have had feedback in general about the foreward and aft of the ships being a bit more prone to motion sickness, but most of the time our guests experience no discomfort at all because of the motion stabilizers equipped on all of our ships. We do provide Meclizine for motion sickness which is available on board at the Front Desk and is complimentary.

Holland America Line is confident our signature of excellence will surpass your expectations. We look forward to being given the opportunity to create for you the positive experience for which our sailings have been known over our 140 year history of faithfully serving our guests.

If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know or feel free to visit us online at http://www.hollandamerica.com We look forward to welcoming you on board ms Zuiderdam on May 31st, 2014.

For those who had problems either with A/C or plumbing problems on past cruises on this Ship I'm curious to know did they offer to move you to another room or have use of a vacant Stateroom, did you receive OBC, etc.

If someone posted about this, I apologize if I missed it!

No we did not get moved to another cabin - I understand there were none available - but on the last day we got an OBC for all the inconvenience of a non-flushing toilet for much of 22 days.:rolleyes: Of course, this was in addition to the chocolate-covered strawberries and PG dinner they thought was sufficient compensation.

• 1 month later...
I think a separate thread just listing known rooms that have had a/c problems over the last year (although it sounds like it's gone on longer) There are many threads addressing this issue but none that I can find listing cabins. Obviously not every cabin that had problems will continue to have problems but it would be nice when you are booking to at least have the knowledge. ... Let's hear some cabin numbers please.

How about midship balcony staterooms on Verandah Deck 5- say between 5083 to 5110? We'd really appreciate some specificity re cabin numbers in that area, roughly how recently, and briefly what kind of A/C and/or plumbing problems. Thanks

I was aware of this thread before we embarked on Feb 2 for 11 days. Our cabin (7076) was fine as was all others we travelled with or spoke to. Could they have repaired it?

Otherwise the ship looked fine.

It's quite possible that they have sorted the problems, as it's been awhile. I sure hope so.... I'm on her soon!:D

Just returned from 11 days on the partial Panama Canal transit. I took along a Kestral 3000 portable weather station after reading so many posts about bad A/C. We were in 7076 and the temp was always within4 degrees of what we had set. If anything some of the common areas were chilly. Apparently any A/C problems were corrected. No mechanical problems with A/C or plumbing on this trip.

I took along a Kestral 3000 portable weather station after reading so many posts about bad A/C.

Interesting idea. I bought a couple of inexpensive digital thermometers to bring along that display temperature and humidity but not as high tech as your unit. I was planning on setting one up in the shade on the balcony and another in the room.

Question: do you mean 4 degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius?

We just returned from our cruise on the 14th and have nothing but good to say about the entire 11 days....Our suite was 7151 and couldn't have been better the entire time, and I didn't hear of anything going on with respect to flushing or air conditioning issues anywhere on board....

I think a separate thread just listing known rooms that have had a/c problems over the last year. ... There are many threads addressing this issue but none that I can find listing cabins. Obviously not every cabin that had problems will continue to have problems but it would be nice when you are booking to at least have the knowledge. ... Let's hear some cabin numbers please.

How about midship balcony staterooms on Zuiderdam's Verandah Deck 5- say between 5083 and 5110? We'd really appreciate knowing about cabin numbers in that area, roughly how recently, and briefly what kind of A/C and/or plumbing problems. Thanks