10:30 Flight??????

KuffMUp

So, I just realized I may have booked a flight I can't make. We are from Oregon so getting home at a decent time is nice. I saw how close FLL port and airport are so I booked a 10:30 flight. Now, I'm in a panic wondering if I will be able to get there in time. If we keep our luggage and self debark early then grab a cab, is it doable?

If the ship docks when expected, and if Customs clears the ship reasonably quickly, and if you carry off your own luggage, and if you don't get held up at customs, then you'll make the flight.

I've heard of people making flights earlier than yours even, there is just no way to know.

Plan to walk off and keep your fingers crossed.

Yes doable. If you self disembark, even more doable. You can be at the airport by 8:30 pretty easily. I wouldn't sweat it. Just be ready in the morning in one of the public areas near the gang plank to be off and catching a cab as soon as the announcement is made. I'm a big time worrier. So I wouldn't say this unless I KNEW it was doable from experience. Just cross your fingers that there are no delays disembarking and you'll be good.;) No one can predict that.

There are several factors that no one has mentioned...how many ships will be in port that day. and What day of the week is it? Both of these can affect when you can easily get to FLL airport. Plus how busy will the airport be to get thru secutiry.

We were delayed 3 hours by an incident between a crew member and a passenger (the police would not let anyone get off the ship) this really made for a high stress end to our cruise. We made our flight but it was a rush.

I would have a back-up plan or change your flight to a later one ro reduce the stress of worrying if I was going to make it. It would be a shame to spoil and wonderful cruise.

There are several factors that no one has mentioned...how many ships will be in port that day. and What day of the week is it? Both of these can affect when you can easily get to FLL airport. Plus how busy will the airport be to get thru secutiry.

We were delayed 3 hours by an incident between a crew member and a passenger (the police would not let anyone get off the ship) this really made for a high stress end to our cruise. We made our flight but it was a rush.

I would have a back-up plan or change your flight to a later one ro reduce the stress of worrying if I was going to make it. It would be a shame to spoil and wonderful cruise.

This is an example of what can go bad with ANY disembarkation. Very rare. And this kind of delay could cause someone who had a noon flight. taking their time getting off the ship (which would be natural), to miss their plane.

So...in reality if one doesn't want to miss their flight, book something the next day!!:D

Thanks for the replies. If I change it now, it is $200 per ticket change fee. If we miss our flight, it will be at least $200 to get a new flight. I found our stuff from the last cruise and they offer walk off with your luggage at 7 am and flight before 1 get off at 7:30. I am not a gambler but at this point I guess I have what I have (hubby thinks I am crazy too). TG I have a few months to figure it out. Thanks for the replies. I am flying in the day before as is highly recommended here

So, I just realized I may have booked a flight I can't make. We are from Oregon so getting home at a decent time is nice. I saw how close FLL port and airport are so I booked a 10:30 flight. Now, I'm in a panic wondering if I will be able to get there in time. If we keep our luggage and self debark early then grab a cab, is it doable?

If you were disembarking the Oasis/Allure I'd say you could make that flight with no problem. Disembarking from any other ships at the other terminals I would not risk any flight before 11:30am as the disembarkation process is not as smooth as Terminal 18 is for Oasis/Allure.

My cousin made a 10:30 flight from FLL with no problem, getting off on a busy Saturday port day from Carnival Freedom December 1. I do agree the earlier you get off, the less stress you'll have, especially since they are not having more than 2 or 3 customs agents per terminal. The later people got off the ship we were on mid December, the longer the lines were. We were off early and in a rental car by 8:15. That day we could have easily made a 10:00 flight from FLL, but we drove to PBI for a better flight time and cheaper cost.

...........luggage at 7 am and flight before 1 get off at 7:30. I am not a gambler but at this point I guess I have what I have (hubby thinks I am crazy too). TG I have a few months to figure it out. Thanks for the replies. I am flying in the day before as is highly recommended here

Hi,

Another thing or two that might help you if your time to get to the gate is limited:

print your boarding pass while on the ship ,

and there is a new program that TSA started recently - it is the TSA PRE. or precheck.

I just had some experience with it a month ago in MCO - the lines to the regular TSA security check were very long ..... the TSA PRE gate was empty ....... just wife and I ..... and the TSA agents. It was also a lot more convinient : leave the shoes on, leave the belt on, leave the " plastic bag with liquids " in your carry on, leave the laptop in your carry on ....... if you are in a hurry every minute counts.

FLL is a participating airport , check if your air line is - the "TSA PRE" was printed on our boarding passes that I printed aboard the ship. I just did not know at that time what it meant.

Edited by wieslaw

We had TSA precheck on our flights last cruise and boy did we need it. We came back from Hawaii to find that 2 days before we were to fly out LAX had a fatal shooting of a TSA person. The regular security line was crazy but we breezed thru and were in the boarding area in minutes.I asked someone why we had this as we were picked to do it from our first destination as well. They said people were randomly chosen. What a nice gift!We fly American and we can change our flight one time without penalty. What airlines are you on? I would check again ot make sure you can't change it.

Hi,

Another thing or two that might help you if your time to get to the gate is limited:

print your boarding pass while on the ship ,

and there is a new program that TSA started recently - it is the TSA PRE. or precheck.

I just had some experience with it a month ago in MCO - the lines to the regular TSA security check were very long ..... the TSA PRE gate was empty ....... just wife and I ..... and the TSA agents. It was also a lot more convinient : leave the shoes on, leave the belt on, leave the " plastic bag with liquids " in your carry on, leave the laptop in your carry on ....... if you are in a hurry every minute counts.

FLL is a participating airport , check if your air line is - the "TSA PRE" was printed on our boarding passes that I printed aboard the ship. I just did not know at that time what it meant.

we did a 10:30 flight out of Orlando we did walk off with our luggage . Rented a car and drove to the airport there was a accident right before the exit which we sat in traffic for a extra 15 mins I was very worried . But we made it !

My cousin made a 10:30 flight from FLL with no problem, getting off on a busy Saturday port day from Carnival Freedom December 1. I do agree the earlier you get off, the less stress you'll have, especially since they are not having more than 2 or 3 customs agents per terminal. The later people got off the ship we were on mid December, the longer the lines were. We were off early and in a rental car by 8:15. That day we could have easily made a 10:00 flight from FLL, but we drove to PBI for a better flight time and cheaper cost.

Vis-a-vis Ft. Lauderdale, you might wish to visit the Celebrity board to view some current horror stories.

I disembarked a Celebrity ship from Ft Lauderdale 12/15 on a Sunday and was in a rental car by 8:15, and did not carry off my on luggage. This was a Sunday, but my cousin's Carnival cruise ended on Saturday, where she made it fine. Oasis comes in on Saturday and Allure on Sunday. There are many ships coming into Ft Lauderdale whether Saturday or Sunday, and not many custom's agents for each ship to process thousands of guests. The main thing is to get off the ship early, so as not to have to wait in a long line for Customs.

We had TSA precheck on our flights last cruise and boy did we need it. We came back from Hawaii to find that 2 days before we were to fly out LAX had a fatal shooting of a TSA person. The regular security line was crazy but we breezed thru and were in the boarding area in minutes.I asked someone why we had this as we were picked to do it from our first destination as well. They said people were randomly chosen. What a nice gift!We fly American and we can change our flight one time without penalty. What airlines are you on? I would check again ot make sure you can't change it.

How did you get the precheck pass? We flew out of San Antonio Dec. 30 on a 8:00 am flight. We were at the airport at 6:00 am. It took 30 minutes to check our bags and then 1 hour in security lines. They were loading our plane when we got to the gate. We don't want to do that again. My husband has a seizure problem and he was not good through this procedure (because we could not have water, when he is dehydrated, he has seizures). Is there any quick way for people with disabilities to go through security?

How did you get the precheck pass? We flew out of San Antonio Dec. 30 on a 8:00 am flight. We were at the airport at 6:00 am. It took 30 minutes to check our bags and then 1 hour in security lines. They were loading our plane when we got to the gate. We don't want to do that again. My husband has a seizure problem and he was not good through this procedure (because we could not have water, when he is dehydrated, he has seizures). Is there any quick way for people with disabilities to go through security?

I have mobility issues and I go thru the line for "special assistance". This is a separate line so you are not waiting in the long regular line. You can always ask someone and I'm sure they direct you on where to go for assistance.

As long as nothing unexpected happens, you should be fine. If you get off the ship as expected, get to the airport and get checked in as expected, the other place people get backed up is going through security at FLL. If you see that you are getting into along line to get through TSA and you have only a short amount of time before you have to be at your gate, please say something to the outside most TSA agent. I've seen them waive people to the front there before, particularly after Oasis has sent the line all the way back to the car rental counters.

We had a similar decision to make this time, and ended up booking a flight that doesn't leave until nearly 5pm, since I didn't want to have to try to make a 9am flight. The last two years, we could have made that 9am flight, but you just never know, so we elected to take the late one. Getting home late will stink, but better that than the stress of wondering if we will make the flight.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I'm bumping this up to share my experience,

We had a 10:00 am flight out of FLL. Was worried about not being on time.

I followed some suggestions from this and other threads and this is how it went:

Checked In our flight the night before and printed the boarding passes.

Oasis made it on time at Port Everglades, even thou 4 hours after leaving St. Marteen the ship had to turn back because of a medical emergency.

Family had breakfast at Windjammer at 6 am while I was near Bolero´s, close to the gangway, saving a spot to be among the first disembarking (did it ourselves carrying our luggage).

Disembarking opened at 6:45 am. We were among the first groups to exit.

Reached costums and I figure there were 100 people in front. 2 lines running smooth, at around 7 am they opened 2 more lines.

Catched a cab and directly to airport. Went to airline counter just to drop luggage (avoided the check in procedure).

Went through security check and we were at the gate at 7:50.

ONE TIP: When you check in online, Jet Blue offers the option of something called like a "more speed", meaning you cut through the security check line and you go faster, for $10.00 (I didn't get it, found out at the airport).

We had a 10:00 am flight out of FLL...Checked In our flight the night before and printed the boarding passes.

.. among the first disembarking (did it ourselves carrying our luggage).

Disembarking opened at 6:45 am. We were among the first groups to exit...

Catched a cab and directly to airport. Went to airline counter just to drop luggage (avoided the check in procedure).

Went through security check and we were at the gate at 7:50..

I think your experience is what is most common among outcome of all the threads that get posted about, "will I make my early flight".

You did it exactly right, maybe got lucky that nothing went wrong(although I think others blow this possibility up too much...of course things can go wrong/get delayed...but high 90%'s of the time are just fine).

As it turned out you had easily an hour of cushion.

great job!