Snow storm/no insurance question

junglecat

I have a question in regard to the upcoming storm. Some friends are to leave Indy tomorrow at 11, but. . . . there is a horrible storm coming and we're to get 8 to 14 inches of snow overnight. Not to mention 13 below temps. Their cruise leaves out of Miami on Monday. Never have I done this, but to cut costs none of the group of four bought insurance. If they don't make it, in time, are they out everything? Does Carnival try and get them on another upcoming cruise? I'm going to assume if so, for a fee or a regular priced ticket and a new booking. I suggested getting in the car and heading south NOW, but what do I know. I'd rather have to make the drive than be out an entire cruise.

I think the ship will sail since our weather has been in the low 80's in the day

I have read of people who drive south and just keep going till they reach the port OR reach a city on the way south with airports open etc

JMO that is what I think they should do - the stories of the winter weather up north are scary!

This is why we have chosen to drive in 3 weeks for our cruise, no way would I want to miss the ship because of a cancelled flight or delayed flight. Good luck to you but if it was me my butt would already be in the car headed south.

I have a question in regard to the upcoming storm. Some friends are to leave Indy tomorrow at 11, but. . . . there is a horrible storm coming and we're to get 8 to 14 inches of snow overnight. Not to mention 13 below temps. Their cruise leaves out of Miami on Monday. Never have I done this, but to cut costs none of the group of four bought insurance. If they don't make it, in time, are they out everything? Does Carnival try and get them on another upcoming cruise? I'm going to assume if so, for a fee or a regular priced ticket and a new booking. I suggested getting in the car and heading south NOW, but what do I know. I'd rather have to make the drive than be out an entire cruise.

I agree,,,,I would have left today...........

I live in Kentucky........Jan-2013,,,,the Weather people

were talking Ice Storm..........

I left the day before the Storm hit............

Kentucky got the Ice..............

I was in Jacksonville safe from the Ice............

Again I have a Cruise plan for Jan-2014.............

I'll be listening to the Weather...........

I'll leave early if I need to.........

I would try hard for a earlier flight or start driving now and forgo the plane ticket price. I live In Indianapolis and our cruise is on the 18th. If bad weather comes in we are keeping a eye on it and will get earlier flights.

No, Carnival will not try to get them on another cruise, nor will they refund more than the government taxes and fees. If they have passports they would be able to join the ship at the first foreign port (the passenger would pay for the airfare) but they should let CCL know they are doing that.

Pilots are working endlessly to get passengers where they need to be. Even if the storm does not go as predicted there will be back-ups and delays. We always fly in a day or two early to allow time to drive if the weather is unreasonable. I'd drive south and arrange for hotel in Miami. We always get insurance too.

Didn't this just almost happen on a Dream post. The people were to leave yesterday and already be at Canaveral Friday, but due to weather, flights cancelled, they didn't get to Canaveral till 2 or 3 today and still had to turn the rental car in. Blessings were with them, Dream was delayed leaving getting mechanical work done. What a harrowing trip that must have been.

Do airlines work with you if you drive south and get to an airport that is open? Will they allow you to change entire flights and departing city? Seems as though they would as this would ease the backlog of flyers at the closed airport.

I'd head out RIGHT now. SW airlines worked with us last February. I had two cell phones and the computer going, but I finally connected on one of the phones with someone who got part of our group literally on the last 3 seats out of Kansas City!!

Good luck!

Edited by momof4boys

We leave on Jan 31 our cruise on Feb 1. Since the weather is so unpredictable we already have a back up plan . We have to fly to New York to Miami. Our plan if looks like we are getting snow we are going to see if we can get on earlier flights or we are just going to drive it and say good bye to the airlines. We are not going to miss our cruise..

Winter weather cruising is fabulous! However, what isn't fabulous is the unpredictability of weather! Not only weather, when flying out in winter you have issues with the airports you will be flying in/out of to get to your destination to worry about.

It is always a good idea to make it a slightly longer vacation and fly in two days before the cruise and be a tourist for a day before the cruise. If there is problems with flights or weather and can't get out that day and are guaranteed to go the next--Bonus! You'll lose part of the day (travel day) to get to port, but at least you will get there...

One other factor with travelling is never cheap out and not get insurance. The cruise lines are in business to make money and aren't there to make sure you get to the ship on time. Flight and cancellation insurance is most important for winter months cruising..

I certainly hope they make it to port, losing out on a cruise would be a sad time....

I would have my bags packed and in the car already heading to the ship. No insurance and you don't get to the ship means, you have lost everything. This is one area you do not want to cut costs in the future - and that's insurance. You can do a search here and find all the horror stories of people not having travel insurance and they missed out on their cruise for various reasons. Good luck.

. No insurance and you don't get to the ship means, you have lost everything. This is one area you do not want to cut costs in the future - and that's insurance. You can do a search here and find all the horror stories of people not having travel insurance and they missed out on their cruise for various reasons. Good luck.

Well, I wouldn't call missing the ship as loosing everything. You can catch the ship at next port. 2nd, missing a ship vacation is not loosing everything. Anyone can make anything into a vacation. I think that is putting to much emphasis on the cruise, and not enough on life itself.

As for insurance for the sole purpose of getting money back or transportation to meet ship, if you can afford to loose the money you are better off not getting the insurance. This is NOT taking into consideration the medical part. I am only speaking about insurance in relation to this topic at hand.

Edited by Tutankhamen

Well, I wouldn't call missing the ship as loosing everything. You can catch the ship at next port. 2nd, missing a ship vacation is not loosing everything. Anyone can make anything into a vacation. I think that is putting to much emphasis on the cruise, and not enough on life itself.

As for insurance for the sole purpose of getting money back or transportation to meet ship, if you can afford to loose the money you are better off not getting the insurance. This is NOT taking into consideration the medical part. I am only speaking about insurance in relation to this topic at hand.

The Op stated that they didn't get insurance because they wanted to cut costs. Seems to me, spending money to fly to the ship at the next port is spending money that the OP doesn't have. In hindsight, it would have been cheaper to get the insurance no?

Well I've suggestion a blue million thing since they began planning this and not sure they've listened to anything! What makes me a little sad is it's a first cruise for all 4 of them. I just got a call from ones sister. I read her everyone's input. She's about as frustrated with them as I am. LOL. For whatever reasoning they are headed to the Indianapolis airport for a family member to drop them off! I guess their thinking is if they can possibly find a earlier flight or to beat the snow they will at least BE THERE. That doesn't seem to make sense to me. They get there before the snow, their flight is canceled and now they are stranded with no ride home! We live an hour from Indy! To be totally honest with everyone, my question/concern and why I ask is, MY 3BFF's, including a sister of this group is scheduled to head out on the 19th. We have insurance and a back up plan in place. My fear is she will try or have Carnival try and get on our ship! That would be my worst nightmare. THANKS to all who replied, and pray for Indiana as we get ready for a whirlwind of a storm.

The Op stated that they didn't get insurance because they wanted to cut costs. Seems to me, spending money to fly to the ship at the next port is spending money that the OP doesn't have. In hindsight, it would have been cheaper to get the insurance no?

Yes, as you stated in hindsight it would of been cheaper. Not arguing that point.

What I am saying is that insurance companies make money on the product they sell. Insurance. People pay more for their product, then the insurance company has to pay out in claims. Point is, if you can comfortably afford to loose the money, odds are that you will come out ahead by not getting the insurance.

I have cruised close to 20 times. never missed a ship, never need the insurance. If I end up missing the ship on my upcoming cruise, I will still be ahead. This is how insurance companies make money....having the odds stacked in their favor.

If I told you I can insure a $10 item for $2, you would probably not take me up on that offer, being that you are willing to loose the $10, rather then pay 20% more.

This advice is ONLY for those who can afford the loss/catch up transportation and those who have or can add international health insurance.

Edited by Tutankhamen