Captain's Club POLL- Are you happy  

528 members have voted

1. 1. Captain's Club POLL- Are you happy

• Very happy
    • Somewhat happy
    • Somewhat unhappy
    • Very unhappy
    • Don't care

So what should they have done, demote the lower half of Elites? They did the only thing they could have, & people are still whining.

But as the elites die off, there will be less of them.:rolleyes:

They should have done it years ago. It really can't be fixed now, eh?

AND they certainly can't take anything away from anyone.

That's what I was told by a person as close to Bayley as you can get. I'm only talking about a free upgrade. This appears to be a change in the new system since in the past one would indeed get the points based on cabin occupied.

Sounds like they need to add this to the fine print on the website. This is a SIGNIFICANT change:(

Assuming Orator is correct, that is indeed a major change. I suppose it makes sense with complimentary upgrades, as you are getting the points for the cabin that you actually paid for. I'm sure this isn't going to sit well with many folks, but Celebrity doesn't offer complimentary upgrades all that often, so it probably wont affect the majority of guests.

We cruise Celebrity because we like Celebrity. The points are a bonus.

1987 NCL M/S Skyward

1988 RC Sovereign of the Seas

2004 Carnival

2006 Celebrity Infinity

2007/2009 Celebrity Constellation

2012/2013 Celebrity Equinox

Mar 02, 2014 Celebrity Silhouette

Sep 14, 2015 Viking Star

They should have done it years ago. It really can't be fixed now, eh?

AND they certainly can't take anything away from anyone.

Yes, I should have bought IBM and Apple years ago, and not made that left turn in my Miata and ended up being T-boned by that full sized Van.......yup.

And Celebrity did fix it the only way that could be with no impact to existing status.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't understand what the point is. I thought the anger was over Celebrity not giving points using the old system for future booked cruises which would have got someone to a higher tier, but would also mean others in the same situation who were short of being Elite would then make it, producing more Elites, which is presented as the problem of too many a Elites.

Personally, I did like the one cruise where the Elite social was in Michaels, but enjoyed going to the Sky Lounge with a larger group, and then on a TA, getting tickets to use at other lounges. Each have pluses and minuses.

Heck, when the a Elite social first started, it was earlier and being one that does the Main/early dining, I got to enjoy it for a while. It was then moved to a later start which means we step in for one hr max. I wasn't big on that, but turns out, that's about all I need, one or two drinks, and it was best for the overall group.

Life beyond self.

All enjoy your cruising and taking advantage of whatever tier you are at, or enjoy cruising on another Line if this new program tics you off. I do understand getting frustrated at being close and now not so close to some level, and hope it doesn't adversely impact an upcoming cruise.

Back to the specific OP subject. The post saying 1/3rd don't like the program is off a bit. It is 1/5th to 1/4th or about 22% or so. Not a minute group but certainly not very large.

Den

Edited by Denny01

I am posting this against my better judgment. I know how some have reacted to this type of post on other threads, but I feel this can help us all to understand.

I received a call early this evening in a response to an e-mail I sent t CEO Bayley. I was told that Bayley saw my cruise record and appreciated my loyalty. Here's what I can say and won't comment or respond to questions or comments.

Can you or anyone else provide me with Mr. Bayley's email address? I tried to copy him on my email to the Capt's Club re this changes but it was returned as being non-deliverable as I must have used the wrong email address for him. If you don't want to respond here, you can contact me at the email address in my signature.

Thanks

Edited by robtulipe

Can you or anyone else provide me with Mr. Bayley's email address? I tried to copy him on my email to the Capt's Club re this changes but it was returned as being non-deliverable as I must have used the wrong email address for him. If you don't want to respond here, you can contact me at the email address in my signature.

Thanks

Hi Rob,

Mr Bayley's email address is : ContactMichael@Celebrity.com

Thanks Andy.:)

I thought you would likely be the one who would provide me with Mr. Bayley's email when I saw you were on this forum. Actually the anyone else was directed at you.:p

I just sent him what I wrote to the Capt's Club.

Edited by robtulipe

........But as the elites die off, there will be less of them.:rolleyes:
Not likely as long as the thousands of kids now cruising on Royal Caribbean ships accumulating Diamond points will still be be able to cross over and instantly become Elite on X without ever having taken any previous cruises on X.

My thoughts also.

It's amusing that prior to the changes, the consensus here was that it was much too easy to reach Elite level, & Celbrity should do something to make it a more difficult level to attain, then when they do just that, there are those who say,"wait, I didn't mean it should be harder FOR ME to make Elite, just the other guys".

Actually, it appears that those already inthe Elite and Elite+ program are happy and, frankly, many of those people were the people complaining that there were too many in the programs and wanted changes. Fine for those who reached the levels already but for those who were fairly close to reaching the levels missed out on points as the conversion happened after final pay but before they cruised.

For example, we paid in September and cruised on our TA 11/25, the date that the change hit. We were clueless beforehand as we were in Europe for nearly 2 weeks before the cruise & could not read this board.

I dare say that, if you were in a similar situation, where you could have reached elite fairly soon, and now have more cruises to take, you wouldnt be voting how pleased you are. It is surely situational.

All too often, people see only their own benefits and fail to see the inequity in this debacle. IMO, those who paid for cruises should have been awarded the points for those cruises under the old system. I get some unhappiness or anger. Dooesn't really affect us now, as we have now scheduled our next two vacations (After April cruise) as land vacations instead.

Thanks Andy.:)

I thought you would likely be the one who would provide me with Mr. Bayley's email when I saw you were on this forum. Actually the anyone else was directed at you.:p

I just sent him what I wrote to the Capt's Club.

My pleasure Rob - Happy New Year !

Assuming Orator is correct...

Yes, that is an assumption. How are we to know if this is EXACTLY what he was told, not just his interpretation based on his displeasure with the changes. Over the weeks I have read some pretty outrageous comments, claims, accusations, and angry words from people who for one reason or another feel that the are OWED those free perks based on some rationalization they have conjured up. I have become numb to their complaints, which more often than not have been no different than a young child throwing a tantrum because his piece of cake was smaller than his/her sibling's. All that anger over what amounts for a few dollars of free stuff. Unbelievable. It's not as if what perks they already were getting by being Select were taken away! They still have those!

To set the record straight, I am not Elite, but only 60% through the Select level. I need two more cruises in a standard balcony cabin to maybe make Elite. So I did not benefit from the program changes. But so what? It's not why I cruise with Celebrity, and never would I even think of making it so important to me that I get angry and post endless messages complaining how "I was robbed", that my supposed loyalty (which for some people only goes one way - in their direction only) has been ignored, and that I will now be taking my business elsewhere. I just wasn't raised with such an overblown entitlement view on life.

How did I vote? "Don't care".

Edited by fortinweb

So what should they have done, demote the lower half of Elites? They did the only thing they could have, & people are still whining.

But as the elites die off, there will be less of them.:rolleyes:

What they could have done to reduce the overcrowding of the Elite lounge was to discontinue the reciprocity between Celebrity and RCCL. The TA cruises have the worst overcrowding and I believe that half of the people in the Elite lounge on TA cruises are RCCL crossovers. They discontinued reciprocity for Elite+ and Zenith, why not for Elite also?

As for the number of Elites reducing, even with the lower point accrual system the number of Elites will continue to rise.

Actually, it appears that those already inthe Elite and Elite+ program are happy and, frankly, many of those people were the people complaining that there were too many in the programs and wanted changes. Fine for those who reached the levels already but for those who were fairly close to reaching the levels missed out on points as the conversion happened after final pay but before they cruised.

You are making a huge assumption. There have been many posters, like myself, who are not Elite, but are Classic and Select, who have no problem with the new program.

I think the fact that they did NOT give extra points to their "loyal" customers who are just missing Elite Plus...or in my case with my paid in full cruise on Nov. 23rd which would have made me Elite Plus, speaks volumes. Clearly they don't care about their more loyal customers over their new customers.

Do I need, or even want the free stuff. Nope. But a little thank you for all of the $$$$$$ you have spent with us since 1990 would have been a nice. Instead, someone who has spent considerably less gets 25 bonus points.

Will I take this into consideration going forward? Probably. I'd rather spend my $15,000 - $20,000 a year on a line that appreciates my business. Thus taking one nice cruise versus two cruises each year.

Why haven't we done this once a year cruise in the past? Because, we both know once we taste something better...there's no going backwards.

We are now in the process of looking at an all inclusive European cruise this September. Any suggestions (or whom to avoid) would be greatly appreciated.

I don not understand this reasoning. It is either the old system where Elite Plus was non existent or the new system with the new points and Elite Plus. You are cherry picking.

That's what I was told by a person as close to Bayley as you can get. I'm only talking about a free upgrade. This appears to be a change in the new system since in the past one would indeed get the points based on cabin occupied.

If one gets upgraded on board, one must have proof of a payment for that upgrade to get higher points. A free upgrade does not garner more points. If one gets a free upgrade based on a price decrease, the points are based on the booking invoice. (Based on our experience)

If one gets upgraded on board, one must have proof of a payment for that upgrade to get higher points. A free upgrade does not garner more points. If one gets a free upgrade based on a price decrease, the points are based on the booking invoice. (Based on our experience)

So, are you saying that there is no change to the policy, based on your experiences?

?...

I dare say that, if you were in a similar situation, where you could have reached elite fairly soon, and now have more cruises to take, you wouldnt be voting how pleased you are. It is surely situational......

And you would be wrong. I do not cruise with Celebrity because of the Captain's Club perks.

I probably missed it somewhere on this thread. If I was booked for deluxe veranda and upgraded to concierge class, do I still get the extra points for Captains Club? Or, do I not? Thanks so much

Did you pay extra to be upgraded or were you upgraded at no charge?

If you upgraded yourself by paying extra, you will get the additional point.

If you received a free upgrade you will get the points for the cabin you paid for.

I believe that the computer reads the accommodations on your invoice and awards point on that basis.

I am posting this against my better judgment. I know how some have reacted to this type of post on other threads, but I feel this can help us all to understand.

I received a call early this evening in a response to an e-mail I sent t CEO Bayley. I was told that Bayley saw my cruise record and appreciated my loyalty. Here's what I can say and won't comment or respond to questions or comments.

1. They recognize that there were some flaws in the system and that some were treated unfairly. They are receiving letters and calls and are continuing discussions.

2. Once the computer program was put in place it became impossible to make adjustments in points. I don't know enough about computers to that this is correct.

3. The rationale for the new program as I have stated in other threads and attacked for has been confirmed. Controlling costs and slowing the flow into Elite were major goals. They also wanted to send a strong message to their most loyal passengers. They view these people as valuable ambassadors for Celebrity.

Item 2 made me laugh....the sad part is that it's probably actually true at celebrity given their long record of web and computer problems. However, the assertion that once it's programmed it can't be changed or overridden just demonstrates that they don't understand computers,even at the executive level. I think most all companies are beyond "it's the computer's fault" which was the universal customer relations answer for years. Shame on them for even suggesting this...or if they believe it, then it's time for new management.

Item 3 clearly missed the mark, if that was their goal or showed marketing unawareness. The customers you care most about are those in the middle...those who have become loyal repeat customers...and you want to give them added incentive to stay. The Zenith level is just too out of reach for most cruisers, but yes they did tune that one well for those who can get there. They missed the boat on having something in between that would inspire elites to want to get to elite +. I think expense got in the way and there was a presumed customer complacency. As we can see in many areas, there is growing displeasure in many areas where cost cutting is showing. At some point, folks, for different reasons will try, and some will like, other cruise lines. A stronger elite + program might keep some of those folks on Celebrity. That's the one area where i think they dropped the marketing ball.

3…... They also wanted to send a strong message to their most loyal passengers. They view these people as valuable ambassadors for Celebrity.

# 3.......are they serious? How did they show me, a most loyal passenger, that I am valuable?

Am I missing something?

I can't tell from your screen name how many cruises you have taken with Celebrity (and I have turned signatures off) but many of Celebrity's most loyal passengers cruise for two months or more every year.

Orator mentioned their most loyal not a loyal Celebrity cruiser.

Some of the protest posts come from people who have already cruised twice with Celebrity and are complaining that their loyalty is not being rewarded with an easy road to the next level.

There are people who are upset because levels and perks that did not exist prior to the announcement are more difficult to attain. I am sure that more announcements and incentives will be released for people to move up the ladder by marketing more expensive cabins or itineraries.

How many people posted how cheap some of the Transatlantic cruises were?

Cheap and then accompanied by OBC and free drinks for Elites numbering over a 1,000 on some sailings.

The large number in lounges on some sailings have not been addressed. Rapid movement up the ladder has been slowed and the difference by that + do not seem as significant when compared to D+ on RCL.

I was one point away from Select prior to the conversion. After the conversion, I will attain Select after my cruise later this month. In that respect - no difference to me.

However, I would have been 4 points from Elite after this upcoming cruise. I am now further from Elite than I was before.

Instead of making me angry that I need to cruise more to attain Elite, I feel motivated to book more cruises to attain Elite!!! :eek:

Seems like Celebrity is on to something. Book more cruises at high cabin categories for more days at sea = spending more money on Celebrity = greater rewards.

They missed the boat on having something in between that would inspire elites to want to get to elite +. . At some point, folks, for different reasons will try, and some will like, other cruise lines. A stronger elite + program might keep some of those folks on Celebrity. That's the one area where i think they dropped the marketing ball.

There is a certain point when a cruiser decides it's time to try another experience and that the new E+ incentives are not good enough to keep them from straying.

If one compares the perks offered by (RCL) D+ and E+ and the number of days and cost in getting there, I think that RCL offers a greater incentive. However there are so many complaints by Celebrity cruisers about the number of RCI cruisers taking up space in the Celebrity lounge, one must wonder if the experience on a Celebrity ship is greater.

A similar argument on the RCL threads exists about the wide gap between the two highest categories. I agree that more has to be done to keep Celebrity cruisers on Celebrity ships with improved E+ and E++ perks.