Radiance Of The Seas Balcony Cabin, Deck 7 or 10?

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to cruise critic so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm looking to book E1 or E2 cabins on the Radiance for an Alaskan cruise; 4 or 5 of them in total, depending on how much of my family can attend. We have decided that we want to cabins toward the front of the ship but cant decide if we should try to book the cabins on deck 7 or deck 10. Half of my family liked that the balconies on the front of the ship on deck 7 had extended balconies while the other half wanted to be higher up for a better view, thus the dilemma between decks 7 and 10.

Has anyone been in any of those cabins?

I know some of the room connect but do the balconies?

What really is better, the height or the space?

I could really use any and all input, and I appreciate the time. Thanks again!

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to cruise critic so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm looking to book E1 or E2 cabins on the Radiance for an Alaskan cruise; 4 or 5 of them in total, depending on how much of my family can attend. We have decided that we want to cabins toward the front of the ship but cant decide if we should try to book the cabins on deck 7 or deck 10. Half of my family liked that the balconies on the front of the ship on deck 7 had extended balconies while the other half wanted to be higher up for a better view, thus the dilemma between decks 7 and 10.

Just my opinion, but having sailed on the Radiance class ships several times, the deck 7 balconies do not allow looking down because they have the view blocked by the lifeboat covers above deck 6. The higher you go on these ships, the better view in all directions you have, with the hump cabins offering the best view on each side of the ship.

Hey Everyone,

Have sailed Radiance to Alaska a few times...I would opt for the higher deck and if possible consider a D1 or 2 catagory and a mid/aft location...The forward cabins are really much farther from the general areas you are going to be using on an Alaska itinerary..Enjoy !!

We were way in the front on deck 10 on the Brilliance. Loved it! I wasn't sure I would, but it ess great! Close to pools too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Doubt the OP really needs to be close to the pool on the Alaska itinerary :eek::)

We were on Deck 7 on Jewel (Radiance class), forward of the lifeboats, and it was wonderful. The balcony was about 2 feet deeper than other balconies. When we stood in those last 2 feet, the people on upper decks could look down on us, and we could see into the next balcony because upper part of the divider didn't extend all the way to the front (this might be a good thing if you have family next door).

It's hard to explain, but maybe someone could post some photos.

I like to be lower to the water and closer to the entertainment venues, so I would book cabins on deck 7 which are either before or after the lifeboats, rather than cabins on deck 10. The forward ones would be close to the elevator to the solarium, which is enclosed and great for viewing!

Edited by DonnaK

Just looking at the deck plans, there are balconies that look larger towards the aft of deck 7 also. We were wondering ourselves if that was just an error on the picture of the deck plan or are those balconies actually larger?

Edited by kjsmith63

Just looking at the deck plans, there are balconies that look larger towards the aft of deck 7 also. We were wondering ourselves if that was just an error on the picture of the deck plan or are those balconies actually larger?

As Donna stated some of the balconies on deck 7 both forward and aft are indeed larger. Downside (for me at least and again what Donna wrote) is that privacy is compromised from both above and neighboring cabins. Also you can't look directly down to the water as the lifeboat covering obscures the view. In the end it's all a matter of personal preference. As I said earlier, I'd take deck 10 (or nine) over deck 7 any day.

ETA some of these balconies are not obstructed by the lifeboats. If you do choose to book one be aware of this.

Edited by voyager70

Thanks. We took at Guarantee E2 on Radiance and got allocated an E1 on deck 7 aft starboard section. We are worried about it being an adjoining, and about the distance from the elevators. A bigger balcony will be a bonus for breakies on the balcony though. Not too worried about privacy as we are always fully dressed when we venture onto our balcony :eek: and my DH is a bit of a chatterer if he sees people at the best of times :)

Thanks. We took at Guarantee E2 on Radiance and got allocated an E1 on deck 7 aft starboard section. We are worried about it being an adjoining, and about the distance from the elevators. A bigger balcony will be a bonus for breakies on the balcony though. Not too worried about privacy as we are always fully dressed when we venture onto our balcony :eek: and my DH is a bit of a chatterer if he sees people at the best of times :)

I've been in several adjoining cabins and never had issues other than a little sound from the adjoining cabin. As long as you have no issues with the privacy no worries, you'll love the large balcony. Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks for the info everyone!

I have read about the problems with balconies being obstructed by lifeboats. When I Google earthed Vancouver and saw an aerial view of the Radiance it looked like the balconies forward of the lifeboats were bigger and not obstructed, glad I wasn't imagining it. my family saw it too and that's when the debate started. I'm personally in the higher is better camp, but that extra few feet and lower divider making us able to see one another might come in handy for pictures and such. I guess in the end we'll have to vote on it. But I really appreciate all the input. If anyone has picture please post. Thanks again!

Hi We were in a D3 deck 7 above the cover over the life boats in September. I wouldn't say it was a bad cabin at all. Although you can't look straight down it is still a wonderful view. You can get the cabins before the life boats covers and then you wouldn't have that concern. We were close to the elevators and never heard them at all. I don't think in my personal opinion there could be a "bad" balcony. Hey you are on a cruise and can go out on your balcony. How bad can it be.

Enjoy. :)

Thanks for the reassurance on the adjoining cabins. I think we will be fine :)

I saved this below picture a while back for my own future reference, so apologies to the original owner, I can't remember where the post is! It is of the last few cabins towards the aft on Radiance, showing Deck 7 and picture taken from a deck 8 balcony. I presume the balconies go in under cover from comments I have read before that these are half covered balconies. I will be staying in the cabin next to the red arrow, so I will try and post some pics on return.

overlookingaftdeck7radiance.jpg

Edited by kjsmith63

• 2 weeks later...

Took awhile to find a pic of balcony cabins where the lifeboat cover is not an issue. The lifeboat cover comes into play at the stern of the second lifeboat going aft. The cabins in this area of deck 7 have the best straight down view to the water. The balconies on the higher decks are set back a little.

2md2vwm.jpg

I cropped and zoomed in on the same picture to better show the larger balcony on deck 7.

14luafb.jpg

Edited by BillB48
Add another pic

Just my opinion, but having sailed on the Radiance class ships several times, the deck 7 balconies do not allow looking down because they have the view blocked by the lifeboat covers above deck 6. The higher you go on these ships, the better view in all directions you have, with the hump cabins offering the best view on each side of the ship.

Only the E3 balconies in the middle of deck 7 view are obstructed by the life boat cover and since the OP is going to book a E1 or E2 that should be a factor as these are at the wider jump section at the front and aft which provides a better view straight down to the water.

attachment.php?attachmentid=299374&d=1390231706

Those aft deck 7 side balconies are not larger but they may appear to be since roof over the Colony Club goes our further that the balconies there as shown in this shot. In fact that roof obstructs the downward view of those somewhat.

attachment.php?attachmentid=299375&d=1390231706

The nice thing about the deck 7 balconies is if the OP is booking multiple cabins together for their group it is easy to communicate with others when on these balconies and if one is fairly tall you can actually step over the low railing to access each other's balconies.;)

RadiancePortSide02.jpg.d4be5dfa060add85c7ae39712fa9bb36.jpg

RadE1RearLg.jpg.49ec046d93fe7435c4359931bca0248b.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Here is a shot of the balconies over the lifeboat cover that shows not only are the deck 7 E3 balconies' view obstructed but the deck 8 E1 balconies in the middle view isn't much better. As you can see the deck 9 and 10 overhang out further so their view isn't blocked severely by the cover.

attachment.php?attachmentid=299376&d=1390233543

Here the view forward from the balcony for 7528.

attachment.php?attachmentid=299377&d=1390233543

RadBalE3.jpg.1058511f98c2035ce41fe6a21f2cdd05.jpg

RadDeck7E1Balcony.jpg.1cf473299276f2b3b5badf8dde76c5f9.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Thanks for the reassurance on the adjoining cabins. I think we will be fine :)

I saved this below picture a while back for my own future reference, . . .

LOL. It was mine, taken aboard Radiance in 2011 [location should be obvious]. Glad it was helpful.

We were in 8654. FWIW, I thought the view was fine. Being able to see the exact milimeter where the water touches the hull has never been a big issue for me. I can see, however that the lifeboat covers may be a bit mor of an issue on 7 than for us on 8. As far as I was concerned, the overhang from upper decks was irrelavant. If anything it protected us from intermittent rain that day in San Francisco. We were very pleased with the cabin, althoug I will point out that we had more interior space in our OV aboard Jewel than in this E1 balcony aboard Radiance.

Only the E3 balconies in the middle of deck 7 view are obstructed by the life boat cover and since the OP is going to book a E1 or E2 that should not be a factor as these are at the wider jump section at the front and aft which provides a better view straight down to the water.

Please note correction in red.