Confiscated Food...

dacruiser12

Every time we disembarked/embarked @ an island (Caribbean) I noticed that there was a large bin of confiscated fruit just before you left pier/entered ship. I was wondering, what do they do with it? If it does not get incinerated &. gets tossed into landfill/compost it completely negates the purpose of not allowing these items into the country or back home.

I was wondering, what do they do with it? If it does not get incinerated &. gets tossed into landfill/compost it completely negates the purpose of not allowing these items into the country or back home.

The purpose is to keep it from entering the ship and so being removed from that island, so whether it gets burned, tossed in the compost, or eaten by a dog, the purpose is still fulfilled. The issue isn't whether or not it is contaminated with insects or germs, but whether or not any of any contaminate is transferred to a new location (where it could cause a lot of damage to people and crops with no immunity to that contaminate).

The purpose is to keep it from entering the ship and so being removed from that island, so whether it gets burned, tossed in the compost, or eaten by a dog, the purpose is still fulfilled. The issue isn't whether or not it is contaminated with insects or germs, but whether or not any of any contaminate is transferred to a new location (where it could cause a lot of damage to people and crops with no immunity to that contaminate).

I think the OP is talking about the food that is taken from the ships guests as they leave the ship. In Cozumel three weeks ago they had huge containers of ships food that they had confiscated. Don't want any nasty stuff from the U.S. entering Mexico.

The reference is to fruit taken off the ship and people attempting to bring it with them as they tour the island. If there are bugs or larvae in/on that fruit, it could be disaster for local agriculture.

I can't speak for other cruise lines but I know for sure HAL permits us to bring food aboard the ship from ports but we cannot bring food off the ship in almost any port. Manufacturer sealed crackers and such are permitted in some ports but not all. Fresh fruit is not permitted to be brought ashore in just about any port.