How to communicate with family on the ship. Walkietalkie ?

maggiekoolcruiser

As has been stated, post it notes left in the room give your family a location to look for you and is a much better solution than walkie talkies.

....and quieter:D Wonder what on earth people did in the days before walkie-talkies or phones. DH and I usually go our separate ways for the morning, but we always manage to find one another. And there are house phones all over the ship so you can call your cabin.

Yonnie, that is incorrect! You do NOT have to "yell into them for the other person to hear you"! ;) You talk with the same level of volume as you would talking into a 'cell 'phone! ... :)

That is true. However, many many people yell into them, just as many people speak louder on their cell phones than is necessary.

I think, OP, that you're just a couple traveling together, not a big family (based on your previous posts). You'll be totally fine without walkie-talkies. There are the options of leaving notes in the room, messages on the phones. But, really, Holland America ships aren't the size of a small city, and a bit of communication when you split up and some walking around will cover your bases. For us, it's just, "I'm hungry - I'm going to the Lido for a snack and I'll be either there or on the Promenade deck if you need me...."

It works fine. You can set a time to meet up somewhere.... don't worry. It all works out! Really!

Bad voice procedure. If I'm on Lido aft and DW is in our cabin 2 forward, static on the Walkie probably means "Call the cabin using telephone."
But most walkie talkie users on the ship don't do that. They shout.

I am skeptical. Your font shouts at me.

Heeeee

We were on the POA with our kids recently (kids being young adults). No matter where we went we kept running into them (no matter how hard we tried to go our own way). We used the post-its a couple of times but really, the ship wasn't that huge and if the most basic plans were made, we had no problems finding each other when we needed to.

DH and I had no problems on our Alaskan cruise either. The couple of times we went our separate ways, we managed to find each other on the ship without even using post-it notes.