what time to board ship?

smith6

On our recent cruises the cabins were not ready until 1:30 or a bit later. I personally recommend waiting to board until then. A lot less crowded and stressful. We used to be part of the impatient ones who couldn't wait to start our cruise. Experience taught us to sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast, maybe a swim, and then get to the ship after the big rush of passengers, when we could go right to our cabin and settle in. A much more relaxing way to begin, at least for us:)

On our recent cruises the cabins were not ready until 1:30 or a bit later. I personally recommend waiting to board until then. A lot less crowded and stressful. We used to be part of the impatient ones who couldn't wait to start our cruise. Experience taught us to sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast, maybe a swim, and then get to the ship after the big rush of passengers, when we could go right to our cabin and settle in. A much more relaxing way to begin, at least for us:)

I agree with you but we normally stay in a local hotel the night before a cruise and they usually want you out of your room by 12 noon at the latest.

Lol. That's what we used to do! Now we just head to the port 10:30 ish, board early, head for a table at the sunset/ocean view bar and we usually have finished lunch and on our second drink by the time the hordes arrive!

I am one of those crazy people who like to go to the cruise terminal around 10 AM and then board whenever they start up...mostly because I am disabled and want a chair to sit in. At some ports they allow the disabled to board first, but that is not always the case. We like to then head to the pool area and then to the buffet and then we love exploring the ship.

I agree with you but we normally stay in a local hotel the night before a cruise and they usually want you out of your room by 12 noon at the latest.

Also, if you use the free shuttle from your hotel, you are at the mercy of whatever time the shuttle leaves.

We now prefer to wait and board later if we can. We like to go straight to our stateroom and dump the carry ons. The one tiem we arrived before 11am there were huge lines waiting to check in and it took over an hour to get on the ship and another hour before the room was ready (This wasn't a Celebrity cruise).

On our first ever cruise we checked out of our overnight hotel, but left our bags there, went for a walk around, did a bit of last minute shopping and got on the ship in time for a relaxing lunch after everyone else had gone to their rooms!

In my experience, most people rush to get to the port as early as possible, many people fly or drive in the day of, so these people have no where to go other than the port. Between 10-12 there is a massive rush of people. You have the people getting off the previous cruise and most of the people coming on. I have learned that 2pm seems to be a great time. A large portion of people have already checkin and boarded, so you will usually just walk up, check-in and walk on.

If you are in the night before, take your time!!

If you have lots of carry on, wait until later to board so you can get access to your room right away and don't have to drag your things around with you for too long

I agree. And if you are staying in a hotel the night before, you can often get a late check out. We usually ask for a checkout at noon or 1 pm and then head to the port. Lines are usually shorter by that time and the staterooms are usually ready.

Edited by itsjb1

Lol. That's what we used to do! Now we just head to the port 10:30 ish, board early, head for a table at the sunset/ocean view bar and we usually have finished lunch and on our second drink by the time the hordes arrive!

I started going later after a couple times during which the actual start of the boarding itself was delayed until around 12:30 for various reasons (one for a deeper cleaning for Noro - ugh! - and no, we had not gotten prior notification). We ended up sitting (we were lucky to have a seat) in a hot, humid boarding area for a couple hours. On our last cruise, boarding was also significantly delayed and even when we got there close to 1:00 there were huge lines. I can't imagine having sat there since 10:30ish. I can see the decided advantage to your idea when all goes well. Unfortunately since it doesn't always, I'll stick to my later arrival. We get the latest check-out we can at our hotel (they usually are flexible if you ask) and then head over later. But I hope lots of people share your opinion - then boarding will usually be a breeze for me:D:D

Edited by phoenix_dream

My wife and I were in Aqua Class so we had priority boarding. Stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel before the cruise began. Left the hotel at 10:30 a.m. and were sitting in chairs in front of Bistro on Five at 11:05 a.m. Fastest embarcation I have ever had. Hope it happens for you on your next cruise.

Can anybody comment on when is the latest you can board??

We are sailing from San Juan on Feb. 8th and embarkation is at 8:30 pm. Our flight lands in SJU at 2:15pm. I know it's cutting it a little close... but I figured we would have plenty of time. Is there a cut-off time to board?

Thanks!