Under 21 Honeymooners

mitejoma

20 years ago, we got our marriage certificate the day of the wedding.

But, to expand and enlighten the couple:

Yes, you can show that you are legally married by showing your marriage certificate. However, the cruise will need to be booked in Mr.'s name and "Missies" name. Each of you will still have your own passports/ID in your given names.

The female will still legally be Miss Jane Doe until she is able to change her name through the social security office and obtain all new ID.

Then, there is still the passport that needs to be changed!

All of these changes would take place after the honeymoon. (Assuming that the honeymoon is right after the wedding.)

Yes, you can show that you are legally married by showing your marriage certificate. However, the cruise will need to be booked in Mr.'s name and "Missies" name. Each of you will still have your own passports/ID in your given names.

The female will still legally be Miss Jane Doe until she is able to change her name through the social security office and obtain all new ID.

All of these changes would take place after the honeymoon. (Assuming that the honeymoon is right after the wedding.)

But none of that matters to Royal Caribbean.

All that RC cares about is that under 21 passengers booked in their own cabin are married.

Your marriage license will be sufficient - IF you are even questioned.

I just got married in June. The certificate we got as soon as the ceremony was over was, according to our priest, just a souvenir. He then sent in another more official version to the state (or county... I can't remember which) that we got back a few weeks later. That was our official marriage license. It may vary by state though.

Either way, I just booked everything for our honeymoon in my maiden name and had no problems.

Good luck!

I believe it varies by state.

We got a marriage license from our town clerk, which was then signed by the officiant (in our case a pastor) to convert the license to a marriage certificate (afaik) at the rehearsal. I believe you could get notarized copies of that made the morning of the wedding if so desired to carry for travel. If I remember correctly, he took care of mailing/delivering the completed copy to the town clerk to file the documents for the public record.

I'd suggest calling RCL and asking what documents would be acceptable. Perhaps even a simple signed affidavit by the officiant with witnesses' signatures declaring that he/she legally married you might work. Print something up that looks all official and on good quality paper, have spots for signatures and witness, etc.

How do you prove you are married the day after a wedding? You won't have a marriage license. Anyone know?
You better have a license. Or else, legally, you didn't get married.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Mark_K

I know here in Florida, you sign the marriage license at the ceremony, and then turn it into the Clerk of Courts for processing. Call Royal, but if I had to guess most likely they'll want a copy of the signed document, possibly notarized since it hasn't been certified by the state yet.

I've been to some weddings where the officiant handles turning the signed document over to the Clerk as part of his/her services, so if that's the case, make sure you get the copy before the officiant heads out the door or it could be weeks before you can get hold of a certified copy.

My husband is a minister in Texas, and as a certified officiant for a wedding ceremony, he has to sign the license and return it (via mail) to the county. He generally mails it the Monday after a weekend wedding ceremony. Therefore, no, a newly married couple - at least in Texas - would not have proof of their nuptials right away. Hubby is usually given the license at the rehearsal. Perhaps make a copy ahead of time and leave the original with the minister to return to the proper authorities and take the copy with you. Just a thought.

The cruise needs to be booked in maiden names unless they have time between the wedding and cruise to update their Id's. Name on reservation needs to match name on Id exactly.

Edited by readytolose

Did you already book the cruise? Did they allow you to book? I think once you are booked, you should be fine to go. However, call RCCL and ask. This has to happen every week. Cruises are big honeymoon events. This isn't like a proof of citizenship where everything has to be government issued. This is just to say you are allowed to cruise under 21 so the proof should be minor. The "fake" certificate given out at Churches should be fine until the "government issued" one comes in the mail.

Just to clarify. It is my son that is getting married. In Virginia you do not get an official copy of the certificate until it is turned in by the pastor and it is mailed back to you by the clerk.

I was thinking maybe an invitation and some photos on the phone would works but I was just getting a consensus opinion. I did however, get a chuckle out of the "rings" answer.

thanks

Just to clarify. It is my son that is getting married. In Virginia you do not get an official copy of the certificate until it is turned in by the pastor and it is mailed back to you by the clerk.

I was thinking maybe an invitation and some photos on the phone would works but I was just getting a consensus opinion. I did however, get a chuckle out of the "rings" answer.

thanks

Depending on the wedding date this may help: we were moving shortly after our wedding and concerned about the time it took to get the certificate. While typically (in Michigan) the officiant would have mailed it to the county clerk, I explained the situation when I applied for the license and they made an exception for me to bring the it back to the application office myself. They processed it immediately for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk