Carnival Stock - Over $41 today

PittsburghGirlee

I bought the stock in the low 30s. Not because of the on board credit but because I believed in the business model and the 3% dividend is nice. Stocks will fluctuate and I saw the stock go up and down but as long as I think the same reasons exist for buying a stock originally I will hold and over the long term be ok. Cruising is a growing industry and the largest cruise line should benefit over the long term. Don't buy unless you can hold 5-10 years.

Clay.

I bought the stock in the low 30s. Not because of the on board credit but because I believed in the business model and the 3% dividend is nice. Stocks will fluctuate and I saw the stock go up and down but as long as I think the same reasons exist for buying a stock originally I will hold and over the long term be ok. Cruising is a growing industry and the largest cruise line should benefit over the long term. Don't buy unless you can hold 5-10 years.

Clay.

Very Well Said and that is my motto. the obc is just a added dividend

How far in advance of cruise do you need to own stock before getting obc

I applied for the OBC the day after the stock was purchased and I had the OBC 2 days later. You just have to show a broker statement showing the 100 shares with your name on the statement.

Just make sure you fax in the OBC request more than 2 weeks before your sailing. My sailing date was close to the 2 week deadline. I was pleased how efficiently the process worked. I did the same process with my next cruise and again the process worked fine. But the second cruise I sent in the request a month before the sailing and again the OBC posted quickly.:cool:

Mrs. M now "complained" that we should've brought more shares when it was hovering around 30 - as noted, 3% yield with its consistent quarterly dividend is excellent - not to mention the OBC. CCL outperformed many blue chips traded on Wall Street in 2013 so we are just going to hold our shares in the portfolio & go long.

There were earlier threads "debating" about CCL was a good buy then, well ... It might dip a little bit in the so-called "market correction" that the traders loved to play in their daily briefs, but there's little to believe that it's going to "plunge" 25 or 30% back to the low 30's unless disaster strikes - and, if that's going to happen, we got bigger problems to worry in Washington and on Main Street than just the Carnival shares.

We did take some of the overall earned gains off the table, so to speak, this month while the market continued its upward "tick" just to lock it in, even if a 10 or 15% correction happened near-term, we are protected.

If you are holding 100 or 200 shares of CCL, there's no reason to worry and just keep on "cruising" - CD's and money market funds offered by FDIC-insured banks do not even pay 1% interest (before taxes) on a $4,000 or $8,000 timed deposit - lucky if you get 0.5% these days.

Edited by mking8288

I think it's the general stock market. I would advise people to sell, keep your 100 shares maybe, but this price could easily be halved in the next 2-3 years. Then, buy!

Dont see earnings growth or growth on the horizon that would account for increase. Carnival still not getting high prices for cabins.

Dont see earnings growth or growth on the horizon that would account for increase. Carnival still not getting high prices for cabins.

True, but if you look at the past 10 years, this stock whiplashes drastically with the Dow. The profit/loss can be extensive depending how you play it, which overrides Carnival's earnings in any kind of short term swing trade sense.

Yay! It's now over what I paid for it per share (before "the crash") and in the meantime, my dividends have bought me more shares at a lower cost. Several months ago the total value, including the reinvested dividends, had already topped the total price I paid, so it's all good.

Edited by srlafleur

Yay! It's now over what I paid for it per share (before "the crash") and in the meantime, my dividends have bought me more shares at a lower cost. Several months ago the total value, including the reinvested dividends, had already topped the total price I paid, so it's all good.

I would consider your annual return in paper value over this period before you consider it so good

I would consider your annual return in paper value over this period before you consider it so good

Well, considering the money would have made me close to nothing sitting in the bank, and, thanks to the dividends I own more shares now, bought at a considerably lower cost over several years, and I got to take advantage of the Shareholder OBC several times (and will continue to do so), I'd say I'm up. I'm satisfied. I only buy stocks with the intent of keeping them long-term, therefore, the vagaries of the stock market over the course of a few months or even a few years don't faze me. I don't make my living off the stock market, nor do I expect to. My Carnival shares are only a part of the (hopefully) balanced portfolio that I'm trying to build with some "spare" cash in the hope (not expectation) that I'll make a little money on it.