Royal Princess Sanctuary - Jan 12-19 2014

Richmond

I'm going to take your advice and call Princess.

Could you ask your sister-in-law if she just called the general number and spoke to whoever answered or if she called a specific department?

Thanks!

I talked to my sisterinlaw and she called the direct # and after getting nowhere she said she wished to lodge a complaint. Of course Princess said do not believe everything you read on line but Gail said she wanted reassurance that the price was indeed 25.00 per day.

Gail was put through to a person and this person assured her it was 25 and sent her am email stating the same.

The email came from ssoderstrom@princesstours.com

My sisterinlaw is doing btb on the Royal Feb 16 and Feb 23.

Good Luck and have Fun

Arlene

Just because you have booked and paid for it does not mean you have to occupy it all of the available time.

People who book a suite do not stay in the cabin all day, so it remains unused while they are elsewhere. Same thing for the sanctuary.

Never said they had to. I just thought it was interesting that perhaps a quarter of the chairs both afternoons (sea day and Princess Cays day) weren't occupied for at least four hours in the afternoon.

The staff says there are 50 seats. That's probably about right. Full week reservations are only done for 10%

I'm not sure about the accuracy of this information. On our last cruise on CB in Oct. I was told my the manager in charge of Sanctuary that half of the total seats were kept open for daily bookings. That would translate to 25 loungers that could be booked for an entire cruise, not 5 as stated by the OP.

Hello Richmond

I told my sisterinlaw your story and she is sailing on the Royal in February . She nearly flipped when I told her the prices so she telephoned Princess right away and after 2 people said they did not know the answer she insisted on getting someone who could answer her question. Not only did Princessrep give her the info but also emailed her the pricing to take with her on the ship so there would not be a problem.

The daily charge for the sanctuary is indeed 25.00 for a full day and 15.00 for half a day.

It sounds to me they overcharged you and added the 25 plus the 15 to equal 40.

It is sad and if I were you I would request a refund or some type of credit on your next cruise.

It is strange that every Princess ship has different pricing for the Sanctuary

and it is up to us to keep on top of everything. It is also sad that you can call Princess and get 3 different answers to the same question.

We just got off the Royal as well, though, and were also definitely charged $20/pp for a half day both times we went. We chose the afternoon sessions, which were 1:30 - 6 pm.

Just because you have booked and paid for it does not mean you have to occupy it all of the available time.

People who book a suite do not stay in the cabin all day, so it remains unused while they are elsewhere. Same thing for the sanctuary.

Well said.

Norris

We just got off the Royal as well, though, and were also definitely charged $20/pp for a half day both times we went. We chose the afternoon sessions, which were 1:30 - 6 pm.

We were on the same cruise as you and chose the same times. I just looked at our folio print out and we were also charged $20 PP which is what I thought it was going to be.

I talked to my sisterinlaw and she called the direct # and after getting nowhere she said she wished to lodge a complaint. Of course Princess said do not believe everything you read on line but Gail said she wanted reassurance that the price was indeed 25.00 per day.

Gail was put through to a person and this person assured her it was 25 and sent her am email stating the same.

Good Luck and have Fun

Arlene

Those were NOT the prices we were charged.....it makes me chuckle that HQ can be wrong so often. It will be interesting to see if Royal honours those cheaper prices.

Since the Sanctuary was booked out for our cruise I can't imagine that they will.

Plrase report back after your relative's cruise and let us know.

Good Luck and have Fun

Arlene

Good morning all

Well I emailed Princess last week and heard nothing back so I called this morning.

It seems they've updated corporate with the new prices.

I spoke with a REALLY nice gentleman who quoted and then emailed me current prices.

$210 for the week is slightly better than the $250 everyone else quoted. :(

I'm not sure what the "flat fee" is???? :confused:

Maybe the leftover from the old prices. :confused:

Royal Princess - The Sanctuary

There is a flat fee cover charge of $25 per person for a full day or $15 per person for a half day (prices are subject to change). A half day is defined as AM (from 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM) and PM (from 1:00 PM to 5:30 PM or later). Reservations for The Sanctuary (loungers or cabanas) can be made once onboard the ship.

Sanctuary Occupancy: 68 persons

48 single lounges

2 double lounges

16 chairs

Lounge Rental:

Half-day Lounge Rental: $20

Full-day Lounge Rental: $40

Whole-cruise Rental: Number of Cruise Days x $30

Cabana Rental:

Four (4) private cabanas are available for rent, also sold for half-day, full-day, and whole-cruise rentals.

Half-day Cabana Rental: $140

Full-day Cabana Rental: $180

Whole-cruise Rental: Number of Cruise Days x $180

Good morning all

Well I emailed Princess last week and heard nothing back so I called this morning.

It seems they've updated corporate with the new prices.

I spoke with a REALLY nice gentleman who quoted and then emailed me current prices.

$210 for the week is slightly better than the $250 everyone else quoted. :(

I'm not sure what the "flat fee" is???? :confused:

Maybe the leftover from the old prices. :confused:

There is a flat fee cover charge of $25 per person for a full day or $15 per person for a half day (prices are subject to change). A half day is defined as AM (from 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM) and PM (from 1:00 PM to 5:30 PM or later). Reservations for The Sanctuary (loungers or cabanas) can be made once onboard the ship.

48 single lounges

2 double lounges

16 chairs

Lounge Rental:

Cabana Rental:

Four (4) private cabanas are available for rent, also sold for half-day, full-day, and whole-cruise rentals.

Wow Karen

This is going to be totally interesting to see what happens when my sisterinlaw goes on her cruise. I am giving her your info but if I were a betting person I say she is going to win. LOL

Anyway have fun, no worries, and I will let you know when she gets back the results.

Arlene

Wow Karen

This is going to be totally interesting to see what happens when my sisterinlaw goes on her cruise. I am giving her your info but if I were a betting person I say she is going to win. LOL

Anyway have fun, no worries, and I will let you know when she gets back the results.

Arlene

Arlene

Is she REALLY going on the 16 and 23rd or the 9th and 16th?

If she's onboard on the 23rd tell her we're in cabin B736 (it's an aft deluxe so unless the soot is REALLY bad we'll be there) It's Allan and Karen (don't want to put last name on here).

I'd love to talk to her about what results she gets. I have nothing in writing but what the Princess rep emailed me so I don't have a leg to stand on but she does!

We have a lot of OBC so I'll talk to my husband about whether he wants to spend $400 of it on the Sanctuary or on some nice wine.

Edited by chamima

48 single lounges

2 double lounges

16 chairs

LoungewRental:

Cabana Rental:

Yes, the "flat fee" seems to be what the old rental charges were.

Notice that even the listed prices are "subject to change," so it does not matter what you are told in advance even if you have a printed copy.

Wow Karen

The info chamima had says "(prices are subject to change)." Hope your SIL's printed info does not also say that.

$40 per day per lounger; $20 per half-day per lounger. We had two loungers both times we went. Tuesday full day at $80, Friday half-day (8:30-1) at $40. This pricing is Royal-specific, apparently and "at passenger request".....

That's a load of bahooey. You could not find a handful of passengers that would vote for increasing ./ doubling a charge. Unless it was only asked of passengers who have no interest in the facility and are all for sticking it to fellow pax.

That charge is nuts now and I hope I don't run into that on the EMERALD next week. I am already concerned about B2Bers nabbing all the good chairs.

BTW, they only ever let about 50% go on Day 1 to full week renters and there is less demand for full weeks on port-intensive itineraries. So the inventory was never consumed on Day 1. It was inconvenient to get up early on selected days, and eventually we just decided to pay for the week and forget that and we do use it for some time each day.

However at double the price, I will want to re-think that. Also, it only 10% are given out there is no hope since EMERALD is full of B2Bers. I bet the B2Bers would have had trouble in their first segment because of prior B2Bers sailing prior to them and would only have easier time the second trip. Heck at 10%, no enough to satisfy the B2Bers.

And whether a daily res is done for same day only (existing policy) or changes to allow day ahead, you still have to be there in timely manner to guarantee a spot.

Oh well, all good things usually get screwed up and hard to get.

Does anyone have CURRENT (i.e. since JAN 1, 2014) experience with EMERALD Sanctuary. Failing that, what about Caribbean or Crown pricing and reservations. Trying to figure out if this is isolated to ROYAL. Must be current voyages of course per this thread.

Thanks!!!

Does anyone have CURRENT (i.e. since JAN 1, 2014) experience with EMERALD Sanctuary. Failing that, what about Caribbean or Crown pricing and reservations. Trying to figure out if this is isolated to ROYAL. Must be current voyages of course per this thread.

Thanks!!!

Nobody has posted there being the higher pricing on other ships, so it appears to be just the Royal and probably soon the Regal.

It's a case of supply and demand. The Rgegal carries about 500 more passengers than the next biggest Princess ship, so there are likely more people on board who are willing to pay for the Sanctuary.

Edited by caribill

Thanks!!!

You could start a thread with just that question as the title.

Or try to find a "Live From" one of those ships and ask.

However, I do agree with Bill that it's probably just the Royal.

Nobody has posted there being the higher pricing on other ships, so it appears to be just the Royal and probably soon the Regal.

It's a case of supply and demand. The Rgegal carries about 500 more passengers than the next biggest Princess ship, so there are likely more people on board who are willing to pay for the Sanctuary.

It's also a new ship. Wouldn't be surprised to see the pricing come back down to normal next year.

It really feels like price gouging and is leaving a really bad taste. :mad:

The staff says there are 50 seats. That's probably about right. Full week reservations are only done for 10% of the seats.

Also the price jumped significantly. It is now $40 per chair for full day, $20 for half day. The manager (nice and handsome fellow) said this was from customer feedback - make it more expensive and the morning wait will be shorter. Hope this is helpful.

We just returned from the Royal this past Sunday. We were told they reserve 25% for the week of the 50 spots and the rest daily. Had to wait in line to rent for the following day where last year on the Caribbean we were in line for "same day rental" and they did 50% weekly rentals. Yes, $40/pp/day, pretty sure up from what we paid on the Caribbean Princess last year but we rented four full days regardless and enjoyed it. If I remember, there are four luxury cabanas (with 2 loungers outside) in The Sanctuary and two can be rented weekly and two daily - $180/day. Also, six cabanas for rent in the Retreat Pool at $80/day but I don't think you get the same treatment as the Sanctuary. Just assumed lounge rentals in Sanctuary was up to $40/day because of the new ship....btw, loved the Royal, plan to do a small review soon.

My guess is that each ship seems to have its own policy regarding rental price and procedure for booking it. Be sure that no matter which ship you sail to get the details the first day if you are interested.

Arlene

Is she REALLY going on the 16 and 23rd or the 9th and 16th?

If she's onboard on the 23rd tell her we're in cabin B736 (it's an aft deluxe so unless the soot is REALLY bad we'll be there) It's Allan and Karen (don't want to put last name on here).

I'd love to talk to her about what results she gets. I have nothing in writing but what the Princess rep emailed me so I don't have a leg to stand on but she does!

We have a lot of OBC so I'll talk to my husband about whether he wants to spend $400 of it on the Sanctuary or on some nice wine.

Hi Karen

OMG I think it is out of control. Gail read your response and she is getting ready to do battle. LOL. The problem is if you go onto Princess website it is absolutely vague about costs and if you talk to someone in person it isn't much better.

Gail and Pat are on the Royal back to back from the 15th and the 23rd. My hubby (Gails brother) name is Alan as well.

Gail is going to email me when she is on the ship so I will know how she made out.

Have Fun

Arlene

It's so utterly stupid and degrading to make people on their vacation have to wait in long lines and "camp out" this is ridiculous! The first people to book their cruise should be the first people to have a chance to reserve the Sanctuary online. Everyone has a fair chance to be that person and nobody has to get up early or go running to stand in a line like an idiot after dishing out thousands of dollars for a nice vacation. Done!

We just returned from the Royal this past Sunday. We were told they reserve 25% for the week of the 50 spots and the rest daily. Had to wait in line to rent for the following day where last year on the Caribbean we were in line for "same day rental" and they did 50% weekly rentals. Yes, $40/pp/day, pretty sure up from what we paid on the Caribbean Princess last year but we rented four full days regardless and enjoyed it. If I remember, there are four luxury cabanas (with 2 loungers outside) in The Sanctuary and two can be rented weekly and two daily - $180/day. Also, six cabanas for rent in the Retreat Pool at $80/day but I don't think you get the same treatment as the Sanctuary. Just assumed lounge rentals in Sanctuary was up to $40/day because of the new ship....btw, loved the Royal, plan to do a small review soon.

My guess is that each ship seems to have its own policy regarding rental price and procedure for booking it. Be sure that no matter which ship you sail to get the details the first day if you are interested.

Thank you for this information. How early did you have to be there to get in line? Seems so silly. I can see right now with our many sea days in Oct, we will most likely not get to use the sanctuary.

Edited by janetz

Thank you for this information. How early did you have to be there to get in line? Seems so silly. I can see right now with our many sea days in Oct, we will most likely not get to use the sanctuary.

There were six of us so we took turns as threes going in the morning...think it was around 6:45. Not sure about the other groups. We could get two loungers per room card.

Just back and just a couple minutes but wanted to share the following as it is radically different than on other Princess ships and what I had read posted here before we left. I did hear it changed with the new year, but who knows. At any rate....

The staff says there are 50 seats. That's probably about right. Full week reservations are only done for 10% of the seats. For those who are not good at math, that's 5, which probably is 6. I am Platinum and boarded early and literally ran up to the 17th floor as soon as I got on around 12. There were actually probably 8 people ahead of me. After we stood out in the blazing sun for about 15 minutes, we were told about the 10% and that they were taking reservations for tomorrow only. This was done throughout the cruise - you could come the morning before for the next day's reservation. I was told (not by staff but by a passenger) that the 10% end up being reserved by people from the previous week doing back to backs so there is no real opportunity for a one week passenger to reserve for the week.

Also the price jumped significantly. It is now $40 per chair for full day, $20 for half day. The manager (nice and handsome fellow) said this was from customer feedback - make it more expensive and the morning wait will be shorter.

We actually did one full day on Tuesday and 1/2 day on Thursday and it was quiet and lovely as always. I actually forgot to go up early Wed morning and went around 845 and was able to reserve the half day morning for Thursday. There were apparently several on our particular cruise who only wanted 1/2 day afternoon and would wait. Per the staff, one hour half, to reserve for the afternoon.

Hope this is helpful.

Its popular so the price goes up.

This seems downright silly. If that is the case, then they should just scrap the weekly rentals and do it daily only. I've never liked the whole "early boarders get to run up and sell the place out before others board" idea. The Sanctuary is a feature available to all passengers, so all passengers should be able to compete for a spot with an equal opportunity to book a slot. But one cannot compete if one is not on the ship. Especially where they enforce (or at least recommend, which to a naive rule-follower, is the same as "enforce") staggered boarding times.

At least if they do it "day of", (or the day before), 100% of the people who might want a slot are on the ship and have the option of waiting in line. If Princess wants to build a special area for Suites, Platinums and Elites to call their own, I am all for it. But as long as the Sanctuary remains a feature advertised and available for all passengers, it shouldn't get sold out exclusively to back-to-back passengers, Suite passengers, Platinums and Elites.

Back to Backers have always made it difficult for "second leg" cruisers to sign up for things such as the Sanctuary, Chef Table, etc. On two Ruby crossings I was shut out of the CT by people who did the preceding 12 day cruise and signed up for the CT for the T/A portion of the cruise. On the Royal, I got the last spot in the Enclave (boarded early and went right there). The Sanctuary however was available for entire cruise booking probably due to the weather....

Edited by Woobstr112G