Regular onboard entertainment also Improving

jchris1230

I believe you are both referring to the concerts.

This thread was - originally - about the upgrade to the "house bands" on the ships. Todays announcement referred to NINE ships that already have the "enhanced" house bands - which is different than the ships that will host the concerts. :cool:

Not 100% sure but I belive the house bands are being added as the ships recive the 2.0 upgrades. Which means to have them on all the ships by the end of the year . some will get them before the upgrades. But given the positive feedback they are getting on them, the earlier rollout for some ships wouldn't suurpisse me.

Not 100% sure but I belive the house bands are being added as the ships recive the 2.0 upgrades. Which means to have them on all the ships by the end of the year . some will get them before the upgrades. But given the positive feedback they are getting on them, the earlier rollout for some ships wouldn't suurpisse me.

I was on Fascination in August last year and saw a 2, maybe 3 piece band that played some nights on Promenade. Are these the bands that Carnival is referring to? They were good, and we did enjoy them, however, I was thinking something more elaborate, like when posters talk about when the ships had large bands. But any live band is better than no band I suppose....

I can get an answer to a question faster on CC and 9 times out of 10 it will be more reliable than calling Carnival. ;)

I didn't say call carnival. The answer to all questions in this thread are right on their website. No need to call. If you can read you will find your answer.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was on Fascination in August last year and saw a 2, maybe 3 piece band that played some nights on Promenade. Are these the bands that Carnival is referring to? They were good, and we did enjoy them, however, I was thinking something more elaborate, like when posters talk about when the ships had large bands. But any live band is better than no band I suppose....

They have had quite a few Phillipino bands made up of 4 guys and were excellent cover bands and usually played in a back lounge.

I think this is the type of band they are talking about.

They have had quite a few Phillipino bands made up of 4 guys and were excellent cover bands and usually played in a back lounge.

I think this is the type of band they are talking about.

I agree, and they are very good. When we wee on the Liberty for a med cruise there was a two piece called Stan and Cindy. Outstanding! Blood Power is another that comes to mind.

I don't care about the concerts but am glad they are improving house band etc.

Hopefully we'll also see a return of the steel drum bands on the lido for Caribbean cruises! :)

Ditto

Ditto

If true, this will be a sign that they are listening.

Bring on bands that were popular 40 years ago made me think they were not. I couldn't even name one Jennifer Hudson song.

Conquest had a house band on our repo cruise in November with both male and female singers. They were quite good, musically and I thought the male singer was very good. They did have different "themes" on various nights. I wasn't impressed with the Motown night. The girl had a good voice but, seriously, about the least soulfull voice ever. Her singing of Superstition was sadly comical.

At least they were on key! :D

And please, no, do NOT bring back the horrible off-key, poor musician steel bands. Are you people all tone deaf? I've heard a lot of them and they were universally horrible. Now hear this - badly-performed music of any genre is not pleasant and isn't wanted or needed!!!

The best band on the Conquest was the 3-piece Latin band. They were really, really, really good. Impossible to hear Latin music and not want to jump up and dance!

p.s. people will start a thread here asking a simple question that they could've found on Carnival's website in the amount of time it took for them to post here and wait for 10 different answers. But heaven forbid anyone make any attempt to do their own research. They want all the self-professed "experts" to spoon feed them!!!! :p

Ditto

Ditto

If true, this will be a sign that they are listening.

Bring on bands that were popular 40 years ago made me think they were not. I couldn't even name one Jennifer Hudson song.

Here is a clue, she is not even 40. That being said, what do you think the average age is of a Carnival cruiser? The answer might surprise you. While some of these these bands (not sure that is the right word but...) do have hits from the 80's, some are most def. current. Lady A, Daughtry, Lee Ann Rhimes, Martina Mcbride, and the infamous Jennifer Hudson (at least from your perspective), just to name a few. There is only one thta I see that can even vaguely get close to the 40 years you allude to and that is 38 Special (and Olyvia Newton John)which I would go see in a heartbeat.

Here is a clue, she is not even 40. That being said, what do you think the average age is of a Carnival cruiser? The answer might surprise you. While some of these these bands (not sure that is the right word but...) do have hits from the 80's, some are most def. current. Lady A, Daughtry, Lee Ann Rhimes, Martina Mcbride, and the infamous Jennifer Hudson (at least from your perspective), just to name a few. There is only one thta I see that can even vaguely get close to the 40 years you allude to and that is 38 Special (and Olyvia Newton John)which I would go see in a heartbeat.

I just asked some people around me. Lady A are 1 hit wonders, and Duaghtry was a runner up on some talent show. Basically cause he can't perform live, but his studio stuff is good.

Maybe they can have him DJ his own 45's.

I just asked some people around me. Lady A are 1 hit wonders, and Duaghtry was a runner up on some talent show. Basically cause he can't perform live, but his studio stuff is good.

while im a not a fan of daughtry, I do remember him selling out a concert in tampa.. so I looked at his sales.. I would suggest either look at his sales or perhaps start hanging around with people who know something about music sales...

You can find the negative on everything (at least Carnival related). You might want to check out the internet on sales and concerts for these two in particular. As usual, your perception is far from reality. Let's move on.

I wish I was a one hit wonder: By August 2013, the group has sold more than 12.5 million digital singles and 10 million albums in the United States.

while im a not a fan of daughtry, I do remember him selling out a concert in tampa.. so I looked at his sales.. I would suggest either look at his sales or perhaps start hanging around with people who know something about music sales...

Well said, you said it better than me.

I too, read somewhere that the ships will be all the "Fantasy Class" ships, plus the "Breeze". Suits me fine, as I love the Fantasy class vessels.

I also am anxious to see the improvements in the onboard bands, and entertainment in general, since I'd only pay to see two of those listed. Big shows, and bands are far more important to me.

"SKY"

I too, read somewhere that the ships will be all the "Fantasy Class" ships, plus the "Breeze". Suits me fine, as I love the Fantasy class vessels.

I also am anxious to see the improvements in the onboard bands, and entertainment in general, since I'd only pay to see two of those listed. Big shows, and bands are far more important to me.

"SKY"

I think the most important thing is they are moving in the right direction. While some of the nay sayers (you don't have to go very far to find them) will throw some mud, it is most def. an improvement. Do they still ahve room to improve? sure. But you have to walk before you run.

The Glory had a wonderful band when we were on in November. We planned our evening schedules around when and where they were playing after hearing them the first night. Great singers...both the male and the female and just an overall fun band to watch. Even on Motown night they were great.

I think the most important thing is they are moving in the right direction. While some of the nay sayers (you don't have to go very far to find them) will throw some mud, it is most def. an improvement. Do they still ahve room to improve? sure. But you have to walk before you run.

Agreed!

I agree, and they are very good. When we wee on the Liberty for a med cruise there was a two piece called Stan and Cindy. Outstanding! Blood Power is another that comes to mind.

Blood power is the best we have seen. However if they are going to go to bands with male and female vocalist that could mean they will be done with Carnival and that would be a shame.

Not so sure this is a big improvement.

We were just on the Dream and they have a good cover band with male and female.

Not scheduled to bring concerts to the Dream at least for now so same old will continue apparently.

Hopefully improvements fleetwide will continue and they will stop doing things like having love and marriage show as one evening entertainment.

I don't disagree that this is somewhat of an improvement, but it isn't the improvement that many people were looking for. Most ships already had decent-to-good small bands and performers that would play in the evenings. I remember that the Breeze had an excellent duo with a usually-Latin singer.

The biggest complaints that I remember seeing is the DJ instead of a steel drum/reggae band and the poor production shows. Now, I personally don't care for steel drum/reggae bands (I find that style of music irritating), but I would like them to improve the production shows. The ones I saw on the Breeze (and avoided on the Ecstasy) were the ones with the LCD screen backgrounds instead of real sets and mediocre singers/dancers, the type of show you might be able to sit through once and then never go see again.

According to this reply that John Heald gave on his Facebook page these are the ships that already have the enhanced live bands.....

"John Heald : DJ Irie has really changed the level of DJs we have and we do not have any DJ only ships as you mentioned mate. Every ship has live music and selection of Duos, bands, soloists and piano bar entertainers. The enhanced live bands are on the Dream class ships. Liberty, Glory, Conquest, Sunshine and Imagination and Fantasy. I hope you enjoy them. Cheers mate and please ask me if there is anything else you want to know. Thanks"

There have been live bands on every Carnival cruise we have sailed.

I prefer the older type of production shows in the main lounge to the new playlist productions shows.

Just about everyone reporting seems to hate the playlist shows. Was hoping they would be discontinued in yesterdays announcement.