Help.....alaska cruise last week april

mwilliams206

Hello all.....My Husband and I have been on approximately 6-7 cruises. This time we decided on a Alaskan Cruise. We are going on Carnival Miracle departing April 28th. My question is about coats, am I taking to much, for my husband, I have a huge Parka, A thick fleece Zippered sweatshirt, and a In between Jacket(Craftsman with thick hood), I am so confused on the weather at that time. For me I have a Long to the floor bubble coat, a Vest, and looking for thermal raincoat....I guess 1 suitcase will be just coats. Can someone give me any Ideas for that particular time of the year. Thank you so much

First of all, check out the Alaska board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Reading over there, you will see Alaska is all about layers.

You will also see you are going on the first cruise of the season. It will be COLD. So the layers need to be heavier.

Edited by CruiserBruce

If you don't get an answer (and even if you do) -- you should ask on the Alaska 'board' of Cruise Critic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Whatever the weather is, I wager you will be told to layer: rather than one heavy coat -- silk longies, a wool or fleece shirt, a wool or polartech jacket, and a loose raincoat (that also protects from wind). Just for instance.

OTOH -- my husband did not grow up layering like we did in the northcountry, and he barely gets it after ~30 years of traveling! So for him I'm doing well if I can get him to put on silkies (only after the first day of freezing without them), a "regular" shirt, a cardigan sweater OR (not and) a poly-fleece hoody, then the raincoat.

Also don't forget warm wool or polarfleece hats for all. We had a saying in the Adirondacks: "If your feet are cold -- put on a hat." -- the head loses heat the most (no fat no matter what people have said!).

ETA: Bruce types faster!

Edited by crystalspin

I agree. We are from Canada and thought we were fine with the minimal cold weather clothing we packed for end of May, beginning of June. We ended up buying jackets on board to supplement our layers. Our weather was good too. Depending upon what type of wintery weather you are used to, bring thermal layers as well as waterproofs. Please also know it will be totally worth it!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the reply but that was the best time for me to go.I understand some thinfs will be cloaed but I am sure I still will have great time. Was just wondering about clothing at that time. Im sure I will OVERPACK

There are a couple of good threads on the Alaska board that talk about clothing. I know what you mean because I would over pack! :D

You come from New Jersey, so you know what cold is. It won't be that cold.

IMO, you need 1 thick coat and 1 thin coat each. Wear the thin one of it's a nice day, the thick one of it's not, and both if it's freezing. (With a sweater too.)

I think several of the things you're packing are unnecessary and will take up a lot of space. Floor length coat? Too much fabric and the bottom will be a mess if it rains. Limits your mobility for active excursions. Huge parka and thick sweatshirt? Smaller (thinner) layers underneath a reasonable outerlayer would be better and more packable.

Roz

As has been said, warm hats are very effective. When DW and I cruised AK we were glad we had gloves and scarves as well. It was remarkably colder on our day in Glacier Bay, maybe something to do with all the ice :p We also were glad that we had proper rain shells and pants. Light loose layers, enjoy your cruise!! :D

I think a long, to the floor bubble coat would be cumbersome for any sort of active excursion or even glacier viewing. Get some Wintersilks (http://www.wintersilks.com pant liners to wear under slacks/pants and skip the to the floor coat, IMO

Think in terms of dressing layers rather than loading up with big bulky coats. If it starts cold in the morning, it well could warm during the day and you can remove layers.

We went to Alaska the first week in May three years ago . We took jackets with zip out liners (mine was a longer jacket ) , fleece zip ups , gloves ,hat ,scarf , cotton sweaters ,long sleeved t shirts , jeans and sneakers . It was perfect . We wore the jackets with the liners and if chilly I wore the fleece over a long sleeved t shirt . I usually ended up taking off the fleece as the day warmed up . I wore cotton sweaters with long sleeved t shirts and long pants on the boat .We also packed a few nicer outfits for night on the boat but frankly we were usually so tired after a long day touring that we hit the buffet and went to bed . The good thing about going so early in the season is no crowds . When we went everything was open . Have a great time !

I live in Southern California now but originally from Michigan, and I disagree with the other posters that say layering is all you need.

I have been to Alaska twice, once in early May and once in August. I wore cuddleduds, sweats, and still needed my ankle length fur lined water resistant coat with a hood.

I tried the fleece jackets and they just weren't warm enough for me. The only time I didn't have my coat on was on the coach and in the hotels. The rest of the time, I was very glad I hadn't listened and left it home.

I don't do active excursions, so it didn't get in the way at all. Was plenty glad to have it on our walk through the rainforest in Sitka where it was raining, in Juneau where it was raining, and in Ketchikan where it was raining. And it never warmed up to where I didn't need it, on either trip.

OP, only you know how cold you get and how you dress at home for that cold weather. I looked ridiculous leaving Sunny Southern California with my heavy coat in August, but I just carried it on the airplane anyway.

Have a great trip! Alaska is awesome!

These are the average temps in Alaska during the summer. As with any average, you may get a cold spell when you are there but mid 50's is not cold enough for arctic clothing. Of course it would be colder at night, but you are usually onboard and can simply stay inside. In 35 days of cruising in Alaska, have only had to wear a warm jacket once, and most of my cruises have been early in May.

May June July August September

Anchorage 54F 62F 65F 63F 55F

Fairbanks 70F 70F 75F 70F 64F

Denali Park 58F 68F 70F 64F 53F

Juneau 62F 64F 64F 62F 56F

Ketchikan 56F 61F 65F 65F 60F

Skagway 57F 63F 63F 61F 57F

Vancouver 64F 69F 74F 73F 65F

Edited by dadroy
fixing chart

<snip>

May June July August September

Anchorage 54F 62F 65F 63F 55F

Fairbanks 70F 70F 75F 70F 64F

Denali Park 58F 68F 70F 64F 53F

Juneau 62F 64F 64F 62F 56F

Ketchikan 56F 61F 65F 65F 60F

Skagway 57F 63F 63F 61F 57F

Vancouver 64F 69F 74F 73F 65F

Great chart, dadroy.

Thank you.

As many have stated, it will depend a lot on your tolerance of cold. If you are always cold in the winter, then you may want to go with some heavier levels, if not, then lighter layers will work for you. In late April and early May, I think the most important layer will be the outer layer. If you have a good water repellent, wind resistant outer layer, that will be take care of most of the weather you will run into. I agree that a a good warm stocking hat and gloves will also be needed. I live in Minnesota so I am used to the cold, so the last time I went on an Alaska cruise in mid May, all I packed was a waterproof windbreaker from Cabela's, stocking hat, and gloves, and I was fine. Someone from a mild climate might have been freezing though, so you are probably the best judge of what you might need to stay warm. With the wind chill today, it was -45F this morning so the

average temps from Dadroy seem balmy to me.

We did the same cruise/ship in September (link to my review with photos are in my signature). Being from NJ, you have similiar weather to what we have in Pittsburgh! My DH & I both took one all weather sort of jacket and layered with fleece, etc underneath. I would take one jacket/coat per person and make use of layers rather than taking multiple jackets. Enjoy your cruise on the Miracle!

We went to Alaska in June and there was a heat wave. It was over 90 everyday. Still, when I went up on the glaciers, I needed a fleece jacket, a hat and gloves. I wasn't going to take any jacket up there since it was so hot in town, but was very glad I did.