cabin choices for 2 grandparents and 2 teenagers

memoie

Hi everyone, I need some help. My husband and I want to take our 2 teenage grandchildren (1 girl & 1 boy) ages 17 & 19 on a cruise. I would like to know what type of cabin arrangements would be best? Trying not to have to book 3 cabins. I am thinking of getting 2 adjoining cabins - girls in 1 room and boys in the other or having hubby and self in one cabin and the teens sharing a cabin. Planning on basically just sleeping in cabins. Don't want to spend a fortune on cabins. Any extra help ie: which ship would be best would really come in handy. We're looking at either the Caribbean, Bahamas - some place nice and warm - destination not important at this moment. Cabin choices come first. thanks so much for all your help.

Different ships have different SORTS of cabins in the sense of sizes and arrangement of beds and furniture... if you want to go budget, you are probably looking at two inside cabins -- which might be adjoining with a door that doesn't open to the hall. This is probably better than one large® cabin with only one bathroom for obvious reasons!

But take some time and look at all the itineraries! One thing to think about is the cost to fly to the port. At the top of this page is a tab [Find A Cruise], which will give you an idea of embarkation ports, and travelocity and other websites can give you ideas of the cost of flights (in general and in specific). As you narrow down the cruise line(s) of interest, there are individual forums or "boards" on Cruise Critic where people with experience on each line hang out. There you will be able to ask more questions and get better answers.

You will indeed probably need to book "boys in one, girls in the other" no matter where you end up sleeping because almost all cruise lines require at least one person per cabin to be over 21 years of age... I think Carnival lets 18 or 19 yo book their own stateroom... but don't quote me without verifying.

Be sure to have notarized letter from the parents for at least the 17 year old and find out for sure what documentation you need for the 19YO, giving you permission to sail with them.

Those are the things that occur to me right off.

Two connecting insides might work out well...Booking each grandparent with a grandchild might give you a possible senior discount if offered...and also watch for a state residency or any discount that may apply...Have a wonderful cruise and the memories it will give all of you.

Having cruised with teens I would suggest that they have a cabin together. Their sleeping patterns will most likely be most similar to eachother. You and your spouse most likely have close bedtimes and morning wake up times as well. Teenagers tend to like to sleep in every chance they get and they can be night owls as well.

When cruising with our teens we leave breakfast on late port days and sea days for them to have sister time. This way it doesn't hold us up in the morning and they aren't grouchy because they get up on their own. They are usually a good hour and even two somedays, behind us in the morning.

I'd book 2 cabin, adjoining if possible. I'd go for boys in 1 room, girls in the other with the "kids" being that age.

You could always switch around during the cruise depending on how it's working out.

Would you do the same with your teenage kids if you were cruising as a family and had a 17 yr old girl and a 19 year old boy? I am guessing no but I may be wrong. Why would you split the couple and the teens up? I can't figure this one out.

Carnival requires there be 1 adult and 1 teen in a room but when you board just go to guest services and get A duplicate key for you DO NOT put charging privliges on the keys you give to the teens or your S&S bill may jump! Obviously one of the teens will get the duplicate with charging privlidges just monitor your bill! They have to "ding' off the ship with their original room key.

I suggest carnival because they have the best youth programs. Check out the boards for these.

Grandparents Oceanview is better than an inside teens get the inside

Carnival requires there be 1 adult and 1 teen in a room but when you board just go to guest services and get A duplicate key for you DO NOT put charging privliges on the keys you give to the teens or your S&S bill may jump! Obviously one of the teens will get the duplicate with charging privlidges just monitor your bill! They have to "ding' off the ship with their original room key.

I suggest carnival because they have the best youth programs. Check out the boards for these.

Grandparents Oceanview is better than an inside teens get the inside

Is that a new Carnival rule? Not my experience in the past. NCL yes but not Carnival.

Edited by Karysa

Would you do the same with your teenage kids if you were cruising as a family and had a 17 yr old girl and a 19 year old boy? I am guessing no but I may be wrong. Why would you split the couple and the teens up? I can't figure this one out.

Yes I would - we travel with our teens and family all the time.

I know my 17 yo son would not be comfortable with teen female cousin in the same room. It's that whole privacy thing when they're that age. Whenever we do a shore house it's girls on one side, boys on the other. Because heaven forbid anyone sees anything they'll be scarred for life. (Their words not mine)

If you're only there for sleeping and changing as the OP said then it really doesn't matter. The sleep thing is a moot point IMO, no one makes that much noise when they're coming in or to going out. One of ours is an early riser & the other sleeps like a rock & has never been bothered by anyone getting up. (We actually book 1 room for the 4 of us, balcony or Oceanview not a suite and it's never been an issue)

Plus after 20 years of marriage in our case, I can live without sleeping in the same room as my husband for a week.

Edited by hansolosmom

I think Carnival lets 18 or 19 yo book their own stateroom... but don't quote me without verifying.

Carnival requires you to be 25 if anyone under 21 will be sailing in the cabin. only Disney and Cunard allow 18 yo's to book, but not if any minor is in the room (unless they are married.) all other lines you must be 21.

pretty sure neither teen will want to share a cabin with their sibling

at 19 the older one cannot use the teen programs at all and the 17 yo will not get much out of it either as that age tends to be the hang around and play video games or just drink coffee all day crowd. that can easily be done without any club programming( and permits the 19 yo to otherwise participate with little sister if so desired)

I know my 17 yo son would not be comfortable with teen female cousin in the same room. It's that whole privacy thing when they're that age. Whenever we do a shore house it's girls on one side, boys on the other. Because heaven forbid anyone sees anything they'll be scarred for life. (Their words not mine)

If you're only there for sleeping and changing as the OP said then it really doesn't matter. The sleep thing is a moot point IMO, no one makes that much noise when they're coming in or to going out. One of ours is an early riser & the other sleeps like a rock & has never been bothered by anyone getting up. (We actually book 1 room for the 4 of us, balcony or Oceanview not a suite and it's never been an issue)

Plus after 20 years of marriage in our case, I can live without sleeping in the same room as my husband for a week.

So your daughter will share a cabin with her dad and her brother but not her cousin. Would she not change in the BR and expect them to do the same? My 17 year old DD's would not change in front of their dad or their male cousins so I don't see your point. It's a good question that the OP is asking though. I will ask my girls this question when they return from their exam today.

Also DH travels for work so I would not consider not sleeping together on vacation. This is a time for us to reconnect.

Edit: I see you have a son so just reverse all genders! lol

Edited by Karysa

Where/how did everyone reading this question assume these weren't brother/sister...regardless of who sleeps where and the relationship...Book each of the grandparents into separate cabins to take advantage of any senior discount that might become available to use on each cabin..Once onboard this family will figure out the best arrangements based on everyones comfort....;):)

Where/how did everyone reading this question assume these weren't brother/sister...regardless of who sleeps where and the relationship...Book each of the grandparents into separate cabins to take advantage of any senior discount that might become available to use on each cabin..Once onboard this family will figure out the best arrangements based on everyones comfort....;):)

I agree with you about the senior discount that does make a lot of sense. Regarding sleeping arrangements, can't imagine my teen daughters choosing to sleep in a cabin with their grandmother over any of their siblings or their cousins for that matter! lol

Edited by Karysa

While the cruise lines will not allow teens that age to book on their own, they will often allow you to book two rooms in close proximity, next door, across the hall, etc. If there is a Senior discount, it would make sense to book girls in one, us in the other. If no senior discount available, I would just book you and DH into one room and the teens into the other. Just don't try to book online, book over the phone or with a TA.

I would look to either NCL or RCI. The kids would like the climbing wall, skating rink, Blue Man Group, etc.

I'm the parent of a 18-yr old boy and a nearly 20-yr old girls. I make them share a room on vacation. They work it out. We've even had one or both of the bring a friend, and again, they share rooms. They work it out.

The "1 adult in each room" is for BOOKING purposes only. You don't have to actually put 1 adult in each room! They are simply trying to make sure that there is a responsible adult onboard with the minor.

I would book 2 cabins....one for the grandparents, and one for the grandchildren, assuming they are sister/brother! There's no reason why siblings can't share a cabin!

I agree - book 2 cabins, each cabin with a grandparent in it - that way you will be allowed the senior rate (per cabin) if t becomes lower then what was booked.

However, once you board visit guest services. That way the teens can have one cabin, you & husband the other.

Regarding Carnival policy - we've taken teens on their ships and they've always had their own cabin. They must be across from or beside. This is not a big deal and I'm sure it would work out better for all.

Each cruise line has their own policy, but even royal (we've sailed a lot with teens) allows them to have their own cabin. Check each cruise line online for specific policies.

Cabin selection depends on how much you want to spend. You can get anything from 2 inside cabins to multiple room suites.

So your daughter will share a cabin with her dad and her brother but not her cousin. Would she not change in the BR and expect them to do the same? My 17 year old DD's would not change in front of their dad or their male cousins so I don't see your point. It's a good question that the OP is asking though. I will ask my girls this question when they return from their exam today.

Also DH travels for work so I would not consider not sleeping together on vacation. This is a time for us to reconnect.

Edit: I see you have a son so just reverse all genders! lol

What????

I have no clue how you inferred that at all.

When we vacation it's boys in 1 room, girls in the other. This way there's no chance of anything being accidentally seen. For example I the only one in the room & changing for dinner - wham the door opens :eek: I've been caught changing & now someone has to bleach their eyes. Obviously if we were all in the room I would have been in the bathroom changing.

I've found if its 2 boys or 2 girls it's no big deal to room together, however if you have a sibling who is the other gender you don't want to room with them. When they are 8 & 10 it's not a big deal, but once puberty hits, it becomes one.

I even remember as a teen not wanting to share space with either of my brothers & things like that don't change.

Edited by hansolosmom

One balcony or ocean view and one interior across the hall. On some RC ships the inside can be a promenade view. One senior in each cabin to get the discount and then pair up however you like. Also, like was posted above, check with the cruise line and not with a TA to make sure you have the proper documents.. happy cruising

I got it from your post. You said that 4 of you share a balcony or oceanview cabin. So changing in front of people would be more of an issue in this situation would it not? Let's say 2 people share a cabin. One changes in the BR and one changes in the main part of the cabin. The one in the main part knocks on the BR door when they are done. I just don't see an issue with oposite sex relatives sharing a cabin. If 4 of you are sharing a cabin there is a much higher chance of changing "incidents".

It's like camping or going on other family vacations together. You do what you have to do. We call it "camping with Princess". Totally roughing it! :D

A couple of years ago, we took my kids on a cruise to Alaska for my oldest son's high school graduation. I have 3 kids, so we needed 2 cabins. My husband (not their father) and I had one room, and the kids (2 boys, 1 girl - all teens) shared the other cabin. It was not an issue at all. They were rarely in the room all at the same time unless they were asleep. They all settled on different times of day to shower. Nobody ever saw anything inappropriate. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine doing it as boys/girls cabins! As if my husband of only 2 years (at the time) and I would NOT share a cabin! ;) And making my boys share with their step-dad would probably have been more awkward for them than sharing with their little sister.

I got it from your post. You said that 4 of you share a balcony or oceanview cabin. So changing in front of people would be more of an issue in this situation would it not? Let's say 2 people share a cabin. One changes in the BR and one changes in the main part of the cabin. The one in the main part knocks on the BR door when they are done. I just don't see an issue with oposite sex relatives sharing a cabin. If 4 of you are sharing a cabin there is a much higher chance of changing "incidents".

Sorry I just didn't get that at all. Normally everyone takes turns in the bathroom to change.

Also obviously from all the comments on this thread I'm the only one who would break it up by boy/girl. I guess I don't love my husband as much as all of you ;)

Edited by hansolosmom

Sorry I just didn't get that at all. Normally everyone takes turns in the bathroom to change.

Also obviously from all the comments on this thread I'm the only one who would break it up by boy/girl. I guess I don't love my husband as much as all of you ;)

Is he a snorer? I think you are just dreaming of a good nights sleep.:D

Edited by Karysa