2914 - Implementation of the New Wine Policy

innlady1

• 1 month later...
We don't do formal, so we bring wine on board to consume in our room with those meals. For dining, we buy wine packages. I don't see why I should have to pay corkage fees for wine I intend to drink in the room.

I agree fully with you! I find the corckage fee for drinking wine in your cabin simply "theft" from HAL AND worse "non respect of your PRIVACY" :mad::mad::mad:

I agree fully with you! I find the corckage fee for drinking wine in your cabin simply "theft" from HAL AND worse "non respect of your PRIVACY" :mad::mad::mad:

A bit of paranoia there maybe :confused: I don't see how HAL knowing what kinds of wine you drink or how much you drink as a major privacy breach. I don't even think they write them down or even care :rolleyes: They just charge so much per bottle and send you on your merry way.

You have a choice to make then. Just only bring one per person on.

You have a choice to make then. Just only bring one per person on.

That is no choice, it is simply imposed by HAL. In your cabin it is simply unfair that after years now they change to this unfair policy:mad::mad::mad:

In your cabin it is simply unfair that after years now they change to this unfair policy:mad::mad::mad:

Life isn't always fair. Period. No sense getting all bent out of shape about something you can't change.

That is no choice, it is simply imposed by HAL. In your cabin it is simply unfair that after years now they change to this unfair policy:mad::mad::mad:

I understand what you are saying. However, since every other line has the same policy or something similar, that was HAL's rationale. We might think it's unfair, but in reality, it is fair, as they were only doing what other lines have done.

I don't like the change, but they had every right to do it. It would have been much worse if they didn't allow a corkage for those of us who want to sample wines in Europe. Basically it's a price increase for those of us who saved money by bringing wine onboard previously.

Hi folks,

Over the years I have packed a number of bottles of wine in my luggage and have never had any issues with them being taken or me being asked to pay corkage fees, not that I would have minded that in order to have the wines I like while on vacation. Since the new Holland America policy was put in place, are people finding they are having their wines taken from their luggage or are they still getting through without issue?

It's been about 5 years since my last cruise, so I am feeling out of touch!

Thanks!

Over the years I have packed a number of bottles of wine in my luggage and have never had any issues with them being taken or me being asked to pay corkage fees, ....

On HAL, there has not been any reason for you to have an "issue" with wine in your luggage being taken, or being asked to pay a corkage fee (upon boarding). HAL allowed you to bring as much as you wanted, and only charged corkage when the wine was brought to a public area, until 1/31/14.

Now, the wine will be seen packed away (for years HAL has x-rayed checked luggage), and you will be called down to claim your luggage and pay your charges.

Hi folks,

Over the years I have packed a number of bottles of wine in my luggage and have never had any issues with them being taken or me being asked to pay corkage fees, not that I would have minded that in order to have the wines I like while on vacation. Since the new Holland America policy was put in place, are people finding they are having their wines taken from their luggage or are they still getting through without issue?

It's been about 5 years since my last cruise, so I am feeling out of touch!

Thanks!

The present policy allows for one bottle of wine per person to be carried on the ship upon embarkation. If you buy wine in port, you will pay the $18 per bottle corkage fee at the gangway. They seem to have ramped up their wine packages...I bought a package because I enjoyed the Toasted Head chard at the wine tasting. With my 50% Mariner discount, it was about $17 per bottle plus the 15%. The corkage fee was included. I paid $13 a bottle for it this week here.

It's well worth it not to have to lug the wine on board.

When I really want to have freedom of choice is when we're on a Med cruise and can enjoy the Spanish, French, Italian, or Portuguese wines. So I'm happy they finally agreed to a more reasonable policy.

The present policy allows for one bottle of wine per person to be carried on the ship upon embarkation.

Not quite.

The new HAL policy allows each adult (age 21) to carry aboard one bottle of wine without charge. Any and all additional bottles---which is permissible---carried on incur a corkage fee of $18. Bottles may be brought aboard at ports during the cruise, not only initial embarkation.

Not quite.

The new HAL policy allows each adult (age 21) to carry aboard one bottle of wine without charge. Any and all additional bottles---which is permissible---carried on incur a corkage fee of $18. Bottles may be brought aboard at ports during the cruise, not only initial embarkation.

That's what I meant, Ruth: The person has to be 21 or over. I figure that's a given. Believe me, I saw the results in real time: People getting on the ship in ports, carrying wine, were not happy to either be charged the corkage or to have to store it.

The present policy allows for one bottle of wine per person to be carried on the ship upon embarkation. If you buy wine in port, you will pay the $18 per bottle corkage fee at the gangway. They seem to have ramped up their wine packages...I bought a package because I enjoyed the Toasted Head chard at the wine tasting. With my 50% Mariner discount, it was about $17 per bottle plus the 15%. The corkage fee was included. I paid $13 a bottle for it this week here.

It's well worth it not to have to lug the wine on board.

When I really want to have freedom of choice is when we're on a Med cruise and can enjoy the Spanish, French, Italian, or Portuguese wines. So I'm happy they finally agreed to a more reasonable policy.

Thanks to your suggestion, I bought a bottle of Toasted Head -- loved it! Just the right amount of "oak". It was about $13 here at BevMo. Thank you so much. :)

The more I think about it, the more I think my best bet is going to be hitting Trader Joe's in Seattle and getting some of my faves, paying corkage for them, and just getting a beverage card to cover sodas, coffees (adult and otherwise) and mixed drinks. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have got to be kidding!:rolleyes:

A bit of paranoia there maybe :confused: I don't see how HAL knowing what kinds of wine you drink or how much you drink as a major privacy breach. I don't even think they write them down or even care :rolleyes: They just charge so much per bottle and send you on your merry way.

Completely agree taxmantoo.. Of course there is no invasion of privacy.. HAL has every right to decide if they will permit anyone to bring wine on board & to charge a corkage fee, no matter where one drinks it... No one is permitted to get away with taking your own wine into a restaurant without paying a corkage fee, or on board any public transportation or other public venues.. Those restaurants which don't charge corkage fees, make it up in higher prices..

Finally, HAL is now in line with most other cruise lines.. And that is one way of keeping fares lower than the premium cruise lines who permit Psgrs. to bring wine on board without paying a corkage fee..

I too like the new policy & suggest those who are angry about it take your business to those lines who permit you to bring wine on board without paying a corkage fee, but remember their higher priced cabins are making up for their lost sales.. I would rather pay a lower cabin price than having to pay a higher price & subsidizing those who drink much more than we do in their cabins..

Betty

That's kind of like the city changing the speed limit after you've been driving the same route for years and then expecting you to pay a ticket. Things change and its their business. Apparently, they think that not enough people will walk with their money vs the people who know that change is inevitable and carry on.

No, we do not like the new wine policy. And yes, we agree that HAL has a totally crap wine list.

But this is well down on our personal priorities when selecting a cruise line. Well below ship, itinerary, price/price, smoking policy, service, entertainment etc. If there is a tie, well perhaps. Otherwise it is simply an item for the evaluation.

I might be missing something but it is too large of a leap for me to associate charging a corkage fee with invading my privacy. And perhaps if HAL did take notice and record the wine labels being brought on board it might incent then to compare their wine list offerings to what people prefer. It might increase sales.

Edited by iancal

I do not like the new wine policy. Never have. I was one of the voices early on who opposed. But, trying to make lemonade out of lemons, I found a wine in their Navigator package that was tolerable...the price quite reasonable, given the horror stories I'd read about HAL inflating the prices. I'm counting my blessings that they will at least allow us to drink the wines we buy in Spain and Portugal even though we pay a corkage fee. I'll add it into the price of our cruise and carry on.