2914 - Implementation of the New Wine Policy

innlady1

I just went to Total Wine to pick up some wine for our Maasdam cruise tomorrow and another measly two bottles for our Noordam cruise embarking on 2/7. Sort of a b2b but two different ships.

I asked the gentleman who was helping me find the wine I like (they've changed the label!) if he'd heard of the new policy. Oh yes, indeed he had. They are not too happy at Total Wine! He knew all the details....

At the register, I asked the cashier...she, too, knew all the details. She wanted to sell me some mini flasks, 3 per package, she said they're selling out of them! Told me a man came in last night who is boarding tomorrow and he was all confused...called HAL right on the spot to check the date. He thought it was still 1/1/14 and was only going to buy two bottles.

So, that's what's happening here in Fort Lauderdale...

Thank you Sheila for the update.

The new policy does impact more than just passengers.

I guess that man at Total Wine must have been a happy camper when he realized that he was still under the old policy.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the update and have a wonderful TWO cruises.

We are boarding on Feb 2 and will probably not even bother with going to Total Wines for 2 bottles. Quite different than our usual walking out of there with a case worth approximately the cost of an SA cabin for one person! Oh well ... off to Princess after this one :(

Thanks for the update and have a wonderful TWO cruises.

We are boarding on Feb 2 and will probably not even bother with going to Total Wines for 2 bottles. Quite different than our usual walking out of there with a case worth approximately the cost of an SA cabin for one person! Oh well ... off to Princess after this one :(

actually, if I may - why not take a different approach? bring 2 (TWO) bottles per person and see what happens and feign shock. At the very least they have to return the bottles on the last night so you can always either (a) take them to the MDR or (b) enjoy them in your cabin and invite fellow cruisers if need be.

Why not put them to work and make them store it?

This new policy has to have a big affect on total wine in FLL. They did a brisk business from HAL customers. I'm told affect is a verb)

Are you suggesting that HAL cruisers are the only reason the "Total Wine Store" in Fort Lauderdale is able to stay in business? Carnival, Princess and Celebrity all basically have the same program in place in regards to bringing wine on the their ships. Hal just got in line with the other them. The Total Wine Store will survive I'm sure.

Are you suggesting that HAL cruisers are the only reason the "Total Wine Store" in Fort Lauderdale is able to stay in business? Carnival, Princess and Celebrity all basically have the same program in place in regards to bringing wine on the their ships. Hal just got in line with the other them. The Total Wine Store will survive I'm sure.

Not true. Princess is one bottle per person on embarkation for free, but allows unlimited bottles if you are willing to pay the $15 corkage fee - whether consumed in your cabin or in the dining room. Carnival and Celebrity's policies are much the same as the new HAL policy - just the corkage fees differ. Also, Celebrity's wine list is much more interesting and priced better than HAL's wine lists.

I hope Hal doesn't lose any sleep over Total Wine.

They need to worry about their own business.

very true - I think they need someone new to do it. Many will happily pay a corkage fee - so everyone would be a winner.

I guess that's too much for the bean counters at HAL to figure out.

We've already seen posters saying this is their last cruise for now - moving on to other lines.

but of course, you now best :)

actually, if I may - why not take a different approach? bring 2 (TWO) bottles per person and see what happens and feign shock. At the very least they have to return the bottles on the last night so you can always either (a) take them to the MDR or (b) enjoy them in your cabin and invite fellow cruisers if need be.

Why not put them to work and make them store it?

I am not about to start playing games with a poor HAL wine steward at boarding time. My beef is with the HAL management who implemented the policy. My father once told me to never enter into a pissing contest with a skunk as I was sure to lose. I will go on our cruise, purchase their mediocre wine, have a wonderful time, and indicate what I think of the policy on the cruise-end questionnaire.

p.s. Should one of the officers at the Meet and Greet or some other function ask me how my cruise is going, I will make sure to let him/her know regardless of whether other people are within earshot or not! ;)

Edited by taxmantoo

very true - I think they need someone new to do it. Many will happily pay a corkage fee - so everyone would be a winner.

I guess that's too much for the bean counters at HAL to figure out.

We've already seen posters saying this is their last cruise for now - moving on to other lines.

but of course, you now best :)

Seriously? The problem is that too many were NOT paying the corkage. Asking the bar to provide them with wine glasses and then filling up in their cabins and bringing their filled glasses to bars and to the MDR. As usual the folks who believe that the rules don't apply to them have now spoiled it for those of us who are willing pay a corkage for the pleasure of bringing our own favorites. Also, even at $18 for corkage that is a steal compared to what most fine dining restaurants charge which is typically 20-25 and I have on more than one occasion paid 35 again for the pleasure of bringing my own.

3 Star Mariner on HAL

I just went to Total Wine to pick up some wine for our Maasdam cruise tomorrow and another measly two bottles for our Noordam cruise embarking on 2/7. Sort of a b2b but two different ships.

I asked the gentleman who was helping me find the wine I like (they've changed the label!) if he'd heard of the new policy. Oh yes, indeed he had. They are not too happy at Total Wine! He knew all the details....

At the register, I asked the cashier...she, too, knew all the details. She wanted to sell me some mini flasks, 3 per package, she said they're selling out of them! Told me a man came in last night who is boarding tomorrow and he was all confused...called HAL right on the spot to check the date. He thought it was still 1/1/14 and was only going to buy two bottles.

So, that's what's happening here in Fort Lauderdale...

Can't you bring on as much vino as you wish for tomorrows cruise? Who says you have to drink it all by next week? A two or three week supply sounds about right to me.

Princess is one bottle per person on embarkation for free, but allows unlimited bottles if you are willing to pay the $15 corkage fee - whether consumed in your cabin or in the dining room.

And that is GOOD?? REALLY!!!!! Cindy I am very happy for you. So is Princess to take your money.

I have no further comments to make on the subject - Thank you.

Edited by boards

Princess is one bottle per person on embarkation for free, but allows unlimited bottles if you are willing to pay the $15 corkage fee - whether consumed in your cabin or in the dining room.

And that is GOOD?? REALLY!!!!!

I think it's better than good. I think it's fantastic! I have always been happy to pay corkage, and would willingly continue to do so.

Can't you bring on as much vino as you wish for tomorrows cruise? Who says you have to drink it all by next week? A two or three week supply sounds about right to me.

Tomorrow's cruise is 11 days. Then, back to Port Everglades to "jump ship" to the Noordam. A completely separate cruise. I may have some left over from Maasdam - over and above the allotted 1 bottle per person. If that is the case, we'll share it on board the last night of the Noordam cruise...if they confiscate it on embarkation.

Tomorrow's cruise is 11 days. Then, back to Port Everglades to "jump ship" to the Noordam. A completely separate cruise. I may have some left over from Maasdam - over and above the allotted 1 bottle per person. If that is the case, we'll share it on board the last night of the Noordam cruise...if they confiscate it on embarkation.

Or we could have a CC M&G in the terminal before boarding and drink all your wine for you. I'm sure we'd find a few volunteers.:)