Concerts At Sea-beginning of paying for Entertainment

Evangaline

As I recall wasn't the dance class during the day and there was also a night with fly in entertainment like a comedian or magician.

Yes, the dance "classes" were in the afternoon, as they are now. But on formal nights, (and they were formal), they had live music in the theater with dancing on the stage...of course this was when the drinks were free at the Captain's party. And, yes, they had a fly in comedian in the theater that always did a great show and a magician.

Yes, the dance "classes" were in the afternoon, as they are now. But on formal nights, (and they were formal), they had live music in the theater with dancing on the stage...of course this was when the drinks were free at the Captain's party. And, yes, they had a fly in comedian in the theater that always did a great show and a magician.

I remember the dancing but that was the older crowd;)

I was sitting in one of the booths in back, trying to drink too many whiskey sours and not spill any on my tux:D

Are you someones AE or are you the promoter of these events ??????

Neither. I'm just an avid cruiser that likes concerts, especially Country. I started cruising about the same time I stopped promoting concerts and it was hard to get used to the 3rd, 4th and 5th tier music talent on cruise ships. There's almost no band or singer on a cruise ship that can hold my attention more than a couple songs. Real talent is not going to live on a cruise ship for $600 a week.

I do have some friends at CAA, though, that books all these artists.

I think its a great idea. We were on the fence about cruising around Thanksgiving & booked the Fantasy because of it. We get to see Trace Adkins,a solid country act,for $20. Also we are in Nassau until 1am so theres no reason to rush back the the ship in the afternoon. We will be back on board before dark though with all the elevated crime in Nassau talk on here.

I am sorry, but if your first cruise was in '96, you haven't fully lived it. My first cruise was only three years earlier than yours and by '96 the decline in the food was fairly evident.

I can take you all 10 years before '96, as many others can.

Carnival dining took a hit right in the mid 90's, where they downsized the portions, and cut back on at least one course. And then the horror of all horrors, they removed lobster from the menu.

But we compensated by starting to order multiple starters or entrees, depending on the offerings. Some of our table mates would look at us in surprise not knowing you could actually do this, and we're usually joining in with us by the second lunch or dinner (all three meals were in the dining room, with your assigned set of waiters).

Luckily, the bad PR got around in the trade magazine and articles at the time. The lobster eventually returned to the menu. Luckily there was no one around applauding this move, or was rooting for the lobsters.

Edited by Lace

Carnival offers many 7 day cruises for under 500.00, I have a choice to ante up 30.00 for a live concert or 30.00 for the Steakhouse, etc. Where in the Caribbean can you go on vacation that includes hotel, meals and some non alcoholic drinks for 500.00. CCL needs to make a profit so spending a few extra bucks on entertainment or a specialty restaurant is not a issue for me.:)

I totally agree. Even staying at an all inclusive wouldn't even compare. I actually was interested in one of the itineraries and it happened that a concert was added. I'm not interested in the concert, but I love I have extra time to go have a nice local dinner since the port time is extended.

I can take you all 10 years before '96, as many others can.

Carnival dining took a hit right in the mid 90's, where they downsized the portions, and cut back on at least one course. And then the horror of all horrors, they removed lobster from the menu.

But we compensated by starting to order multiple starters or entrees, depending on the offerings. Some of our table mates would look at us in surprise not knowing you could actually do this, and we're usually joining in with us by the second lunch or dinner (all three meals were in the dining room, with your assigned set of waiters).

Luckily, the bad PR got around in the trade magazine and articles at the time. The lobster eventually returned to the menu. Luckily there was no one around applauding this move, or was rooting for the lobsters.

The two key years of change for me was 1993, and 2007 forward.

Does anyone know if CCL is offering any excursions during the extended time in port while these concerts are going on?

According to the "excursion" details, the concert begins at 9:00 pm and lasts approximately an hour and a half.

I didn't see any excursions that ran past 4pm. Our cruise isn't until September, so it is possible that they add new ones, but I doubt it.

I don't think they will offer excursions, but if it's not a tender port you can stay on land later.

For some reason, every previous trip I made to Cozumel always had us leaving at midnight. I think it was our last stop before heading back to Miami.

For some reason, every previous trip I made to Cozumel always had us leaving at midnight. I think it was our last stop before heading back to Miami.

Midnight would be nice, my last one stayed until 2000, but all the ones before that were either 1500 or 1600.

First time to Cozumel we stayed until 10pm, had a great time enjoying the nightlife. Last time we were there we left at 6pm... It sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I always seem to get the ones that leave early, my next cruise in April is there from 1000-1700

Simply, in the past, when an individual went on a cruise he would expect, as part of the package, fine dining in the Main Dining Room as well as a good choice of entertainment at night with gambling, comedians and Broadway Type Shows.

Most cruise lines have been cost cutting in regards to a decrease or decline in services and upcharges for many differnt items. It does appear that Carnival has done this to the extreme.

I don't feel strongly about this issue, but I thought this comment really went to the heart of not just this issue, but many issues that receive "enthusiastic" debate.

A "luxury cruise" represented a very specific experience to those who either have sailed for many decades, or to those whose image of a cruise dates back to television, the movies and standards from the first half of the previous century. There is nothing wrong with that image, and many who view that image as an ideal to strive for become very unhappy when things like that change.

So, for example, you get people complaining about what others are wearing in the MDR on "formal" night. Others point out that the food tastes the same no matter what your neighbor is wearing, but that misses the point. These people want the experience of a formal setting. Everyone should dress formally or the experience is ruined.

Same with this issue. There was a time when cruise ship passengers expected fine dining and a good selection of quality entertainment.

But the cruise experience is changing. And it isn't just cost-cutting, because ultimately, the cruise ships are providing the service and experience that the passengers are willing to pay for. The cruise lines realized that obviously passengers aren't very sensitive to changes in the quality of food, entertainment or service. They might complain a bit, but if they can cut those extras and keep their ships full at cabin rates that provide a healthy profit, why not? And if they could provide those extras and sell those cabins for more to make an even healthier profit, don't you think they would?

Personally, I think I fit in with the majority. I don't go on a cruise for the atmosphere of fine dining and high quality entertainment. I go on a cruise as an alternative to renting a condo in Hawaii, staying in a hotel in southern California or going to a resort in Mexico. I don't want to wear a suit or a tux when I eat. I want to relax and enjoy myself. (which isn't to say that I rebel against the minimum standards when I'm on a cruise).

So that is a long preamble to say that I actually like the idea of "a la carte service". I know that when I pay my cruise fare today, a portion pays for the 2X daily cabin service, the tablecloths and uniformed waiters in the MDR, the entertainment that I almost never go to see.

Ultimately, the cabin fare and therefore the ship's revenue is going to be the number that balances the demand of passengers with the need for the cruise line to be profitable. If that model changes from a flat fare, inclusive of MDR privileges, cabin service, and entertainment to one where only the people who use the service pay, that would be fine with me because I would come out ahead. Everyone would pay a base rate that would be less than the comparable all-inclusive fare. Those who use more of the amentities would pay for use and would end up paying more than the current all-inclusive rate. The average would be the same.

I would definitely consider giving up MDR rights to eat in other self-service venues if I could get a reasonable fare cut. I would be happy to take a rate cut and instead pay a cover charge for any show I happen to decide to go see. On my last vacation over Christmas, most of our accommodation was "apartment hotels" that did not come with daily housekeeping service. I don't need someone to make my bed and change my towels every day. If Carnival had rate categories that provided for various levels of cabin service, I'd happily sign up. If it is ideal on a regular vacation, why not on a cruise vacation?

As for the concert series, at $20 a pop, there are a few acts I would pay to see (even if I'm not getting the band's original lead singer); others I wouldn't. I don't mind the choice although I have to say I'm not too fussed either way.

I do not like the idea of paying for main theater entertainment. Once this starts as always with Carnival, you will be paying for more and more things.

Good thing is you don't have to go to it. As always with Carnival ? What are you referring to ?

I do not like the idea of paying for main theater entertainment. Once this starts as always with Carnival, you will be paying for more and more things.

Good thing is you don't have to go to it. As always with Carnival ? What are you referring to ?

I was going to ask the same question. I have had 18 cruises with CCL and do not understand your "As always with Carnival" comment. CCL has become and will continue to be a cheap (costs), or should I say economical cruise line. Just as Wal-Mart says they are the price leader for Department stores, so is CCL for cruise lines. Nothing wrong with this strategy BTW, it is just how CCL has decided to move forward.

Edited by Georgiagolfer
spelling

Exactly. There will be winners and losers. The people who currently attend the entertainment know it is funded by all the passengers, including those who don't attend. People who currently attend entertainment regularly will be losers under a pay-per-use model. Those like me who don't typically attend entertainment will be winners because the base cruise price will be lower (or will stay the same over many years rather than increase with general inflation).

Exactly. There will be winners and losers. The people who currently attend the entertainment know it is funded by all the passengers, including those who don't attend. People who currently attend entertainment regularly will be losers under a pay-per-use model. Those like me who don't typically attend entertainment will be winners because the base cruise price will be lower (or will stay the same over many years rather than increase with general inflation).

Agree with this. I also think that the losers have a valid complaint. Just like the winners have a valid right to be happy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Agree with this. I also think that the losers have a valid complaint. Just like the winners have a valid right to be happy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

You simply can't compare popular national acts with the 3rd/4th/5th tier entertainment that is currently on cruise ships. If paying a small fee gets me top flight entertainment, I'm there!