Too late to get a cabana at Half Moon Cay - what do we do?

GeorgiaMomof4

Ok - just booked yesterday and all the cabanas are sold out on HMC.

In a way it's ok that they are sold out because we are on a budget and I would have really wanted one if they hadn't been.

So, what advice do any of you have for our day there since there isn't a cabana in our future for that day? This is our first time going to HMC.

Thanks!

Go to guest services AS SOON AS YOU BOARD sometimes people change their mind and cancel theirs so they do keep a list in case that happens so you might get lucky enough to get one anyway. I have not been to HMC :( We had a change of itinerary last year due to a storm.

We have only been there once..... but we just went and walked around the island. We walked past the little lagoon where they do the stingray encounter and then circled around seeing the other trails and nature there and then just played in the water after that. We took our own snorkel gear, there is not a ton to do there. It is just very pretty and a nice beach. You will be fine.

I was prepared to give up mine if I was unable to get #8 or above. Maybe someone else will feel the same way. I would also keep checking daily. If you don't get one, there are hammocks and clamshells and shaded areas to sit in.

Options

1 . You can rent a clamshell thing thing ($20?) for the day. These provide shade to 2 chairs, but I have heard some complain that there is not enough air movement

2. Grab free beach chairs and enjoy the sun. This is what we did and it was wonderful - just make sure that you apply sunscreen regularly. We spent more than half the time in the water anyway.

It's really no big deal not to have a cabana. In fact, we'll never get one. Not worth the money.

Keep checking to see if you can get one. But if you can't get one, just go there with an open mind and you'll experience for yourself if you'll "want" one or not the next time you visit.

Whatever you do, do NOT get a clamshell! It is like your own person SAUNA!:eek::eek: Never again!!!! Hold out for the cabana. We were too late last time, too!:mad: Don't recall a TON of shade on the island, but, regardless, the island is GORGEOUS!!!! You won't want to leave. Enjoy, and keep us updated!!!:D

Unless you have a reason you need a cabana, such as someone elderly is going or someone sunburns easily, I would not get one. HMC is way too cool of an island to want to sit in the cabana. It is awesome to walk around and explore and chill in the water. My favorite port by far!

We have only been once, but we didn't miss not having a cabana. This port was included on a trip that we took that was ultra low budget. It was also our first (and only) trip to a private island. We enjoyed that lunch was brought off for us. We spent quite a bit of time in the water (our kids were 9 & 12 at the time). We walked around the island, took pictures of the chickens and our kids. After we were worn and tired we headed back to the ship.

We just got back from HMC on the Liberty sailing 1/18/14. It was my first time there and I really wanted a Cabana. Like you, they were sold out by the time we booked. I am SO GLAD I didn't rent one. The day was cloudy and very windy, which made it chilly there. I don't know what time of year you booked, so this may not apply to you. We did a wonderful walking tour of the island and explored the different areas. By noon, we were ready to get back on the ship and eat lunch at Guys. Then we went to the aft pool and laid in the sun, out of the wind. If we had gotten a cabana, I would have felt the need to stay there all day.

If I go back in a hotter month, I don't think I will get a cabana. There were plenty of shady spots and places where you could get out of the sun. For me, I just don't think its worth the money.

Options

1 . You can rent a clamshell thing thing ($20?) for the day. These provide shade to 2 chairs, but I have heard some complain that there is not enough air movement

2. Grab free beach chairs and enjoy the sun. This is what we did and it was wonderful - just make sure that you apply sunscreen regularly. We spent more than half the time in the water anyway.

That's what we did. There are some shaded areas, but unless you're among the first to arrive, you may not find much shade available. Definitely bring sun block, and use plenty of it. No sense getting a sunburn and ruining your day.

We have been there 3x and we've never rented a cabana. I agree that it is not needed. HMC is BEAUTIFUL. Why would you want to sit in a hut all day? Save your $ for something else. I always pack those Totes fold up umbrellas for rain OR shine. Throw one in your back pack/beach bag when you go to shore just in case you can't find anywhere to sit in the shade (not likely!) Have a GREAT TIME. HMC is a little slice of paradise on earth! ;):)

Agreed, unless there is a breeze coming toward you the clamshells are very hot.

Be sure to get off the ship as soon as you can to get a shady spot. Most of the chairs are in the sun with no umbrella. Bringing your own attachable umbrella for the chairs is another good idea.

If you are a beach/water person this place is out of this world.

We have never gotten one. We have always been able to find shade. There has always been plenty of room.... just keep walking if you don't see what you like right away. Have Fun!

This is what we do.

We have been five times and have never gotten (nor wanted to get) one. We go to the area past the last cabana.

Some posters may not realize just how many people can not stay in the sun for any great length of time.

We have always found shade, sometimes far from where you enter the beach. It pays to be willing to be innovative in "creating" shade -- i.e., moving chairs.

Thanks everyone - sounds like I lucked out in all the cabanas already being gone. We do have a couple of people with us who don't do well in the sun but we will try to get there early enough to get us a spot with some shade if we need it or take an umbrella with us! Looking forward to a very relaxing day on the beach and in the water - hopefully it will be warm enough - we leave in 11 days.

Ok - just booked yesterday and all the cabanas are sold out on HMC.

In a way it's ok that they are sold out because we are on a budget and I would have really wanted one if they hadn't been.

So, what advice do any of you have for our day there since there isn't a cabana in our future for that day? This is our first time going to HMC.

Thanks!

Just go and enjoy your day.