Pearl might have a charter booked for jan 17-24 2015?

hotlipss

The gossip is it will be chartered from the 17th till the 24th. That will mess up the ten day and the 11 day cruises. Nothing confirmed from NCL as of yet. I think they will offer us a deal for a cruise later out, say March.If they do they had better be offering some nice perks for screwing everyone up.

Don't count on too much. When NCL cancelled previous cruises on us, we were offered a $50 OBC on a new cruise.

Exactly this. They only offer something between $50 and $100 OBC per cabin for the inconvinience and usually will match the old reservation price on the new cruise (when chosen from the few other possible cruises they give). It is cruise line's right to cancel the whole cruise just as it is the passenger's right to cancel the reservation until certain point. Just because they cancel, doesn't entitle the passenger to receive anything - especially this far out.

The gossip is it will be chartered from the 17th till the 24th. That will mess up the ten day and the 11 day cruises. Nothing confirmed from NCL as of yet. I think they will offer us a deal for a cruise later out, say March.If they do they had better be offering some nice perks for screwing everyone up.

It's not gossip. The NCL subsidiary has already announced a 7 day cruise for that date. These dates were recently finalized, so it may take a few weeks for NCL to start notifying people.

Cayamo is a charter that always sells out, so there's no reason it will be cancelled.

What I really do not understand is why on earth did NCL headquarters decide to move the Pearl to do 10 and 11 day itineraries? Why why why? They knew the Pearl is their Sixthman charter ship so they knew the charters are going to screw up very many of the 10 and 11 day cruises. As the Pearl is NCL's only ship doing these longer cruises during winter 2024-2015 (Caribbean) NCL kind of decided in beforehand "hey, we are only interested in doing 7 day Caribbean cruises on 4, or is it 5 other ships but not doing (almost any) any longer Caribbean cruises next winter from Florida". Why on earth such a decidion? Why not keep the Pearl on a 7 day itinerary where Sixthman charters would screw less their normal cruises. They want everyone fly to NYC and cruise Breakaway? Your only possibility for a longer Caribbean cruise and even that is basically a 7 day Caribbean itinerary plus a couple of additional sea days. :/

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

Sandy Beaches has not listed their itinerary, the port they are leaving from or the ship they are using. I am hoping that they will be chartering a different ship other than the Pearl. I really like this itinerary!!! Called NCL and the agent didn't know a thing about it, said they are usually the last to know.

Sandy Beaches put up the dates for their charter next year and it is January 10 - 17th, 2015. That cuts the January 2, 2015 short by two days, what do they typically do then?

Usually they cancel the whole cruise (and try to sell more charters for the duration). If I remember correctly, on some rare occasion they have just cancelled the first cruise, added a new one with less days and offer that for equally reduced price.

Sandy Beaches has not listed their itinerary, the port they are leaving from or the ship they are using. I am hoping that they will be chartering a different ship other than the Pearl. I really like this itinerary!!! Called NCL and the agent didn't know a thing about it, said they are usually the last to know.

NCL has altered the Pearl specifically for the music cruises. Since Sixthman is an NCL subsidiary, I highly doubt they will sail on any other ship.

They charter one ship for weeks/months at a time so stages can remain in place. Building and tearing down the stages to hop over to another ship would be silly.

what i really do not understand is why on earth did ncl headquarters decide to move the pearl to do 10 and 11 day itineraries? Why why why? They knew the pearl is their sixthman charter ship so they knew the charters are going to screw up very many of the 10 and 11 day cruises. As the pearl is ncl's only ship doing these longer cruises during winter 2024-2015 (caribbean) ncl kind of decided in beforehand "hey, we are only interested in doing 7 day caribbean cruises on 4, or is it 5 other ships but not doing (almost any) any longer caribbean cruises next winter from florida". Why on earth such a decidion? Why not keep the pearl on a 7 day itinerary where sixthman charters would screw less their normal cruises. They want everyone fly to nyc and cruise breakaway? Your only possibility for a longer caribbean cruise and even that is basically a 7 day caribbean itinerary plus a couple of additional sea days. :/

Amen to that!

What I really do not understand is why on earth did NCL headquarters decide to move the Pearl to do 10 and 11 day itineraries? Why why why? They knew the Pearl is their Sixthman charter ship so they knew the charters are going to screw up very many of the 10 and 11 day cruises. As the Pearl is NCL's only ship doing these longer cruises during winter 2024-2015 (Caribbean) NCL kind of decided in beforehand "hey, we are only interested in doing 7 day Caribbean cruises on 4, or is it 5 other ships but not doing (almost any) any longer Caribbean cruises next winter from Florida". Why on earth such a decidion? Why not keep the Pearl on a 7 day itinerary where Sixthman charters would screw less their normal cruises. They want everyone fly to NYC and cruise Breakaway? Your only possibility for a longer Caribbean cruise and even that is basically a 7 day Caribbean itinerary plus a couple of additional sea days. :/

The 10 and 11 days attract a older demographics that spends less money than the younger crowd more likely to do 7 day cruises and charters. Hedging their bets on the charters by scheduling the Pearl on the southern really cost them nothing.

I think Houston offered NCL and Princess a VERY good deal to start embarking from there that took another of the smaller older ships (Jewel)they like to use for this run out of the equation. The kind of ship we love. My personal feeling is three western ships ringing the gulf, two departing from destination cities like Tampa, and New Orleans the third from a nice city like Houston but not a destination, is one to many that could be used for this run.

That's just two I know folks out there have many more ideas as to why? We are still holding on to our reservation for the February 2nd sailing but the realist in me has concerns.

By the way NCL isn't the only one that can hedge their bets I still have a sport coat and tie somewhere in my closet.;)

We are booked for the 22nd of Jan. If NCL messes up this cruise, which it is starting to look like they are going to do. I hope they can move us to the 11 day leaving on March 5th. If this can't happen we will be back on Carnival. I thought we would give NCL a try seeing we have heard good things and never tried one of their cruises before. I'm starting to get a little disgusted with the whole thing. If they knew before hand that Sixthman was booking Cayamo for the 17th through the 24th of Jan they should have never listed the cruise in the first place. This is a stupid way to do business.....very money hungry and irresponsible.

If they knew before hand that Sixthman was booking Cayamo for the 17th through the 24th of Jan they should have never listed the cruise in the first place. This is a stupid way to do business.....very money hungry and irresponsible.

As said, the dates for charters are finalized after original public itineraries are set, hence cancellations.

All other mass market cruise lines also charter their ships and cancel cruise from already booked clients immediately if somebody is willing to pay for the whole ship (Carnival included) so this incident is not in anyway limited to NCL - it's the way the mass market cruise industry works nowadays.

As said, the dates for charters are finalized after original public itineraries are set, hence cancellations.

All other mass market cruise lines also charter their ships and cancel cruise from already booked clients immediately if somebody is willing to pay for the whole ship (Carnival included) so this incident is not in anyway limited to NCL - it's the way the mass market cruise industry works nowadays.

The difference here is NCL actually owns the charter company. Management will get the numbers from the current charters and feelers for next year quickly. If they announce a decision by the end of March then no harm no foul. If they drag out the inevitable for a few months then I think that is where the ill will starts to kick in. The need for a speedy announcement by NCL management is magnified by dates starting to leak out on the Sixthman web site. Also in most cases when a line charters at least in the high volume Caribbean they have a comparable alternative sometimes resulting in a better deal for the customer that is not the case this time.

The difference here is NCL actually owns the charter company. Management will get the numbers from the current charters and feelers for next year quickly. If they announce a decision by the end of March then no harm no foul.

This I can agree with you - for NCL's sake I truly hope that they ultimately get their co-planning with Sixthman together for 2015/2016 winter season latest. Because if they do, they will get definite advantage compared to most other cruise lines and charter companies.

Sixthman told rock boaters that Jan 2015 will see charters from the 10th to the 28th, then a couple week break, then a few more weeks of charters. But no specific dates/cruises for Feb/March yet

I am hanging on to my Jan 22 only because there are three other ships doing basically the same western Carib itinerary. Makes more sense to charter one of them even though I know that the Pearl has been the charter of choice in the past. May be just wishful thinking because I can see the ad for the Pearl Jan 17-24 but hope springs eternal...

Although I have not yet received an email folks on my message board are receiving notices that the Pearl has been chartered between Jan 2 and March 6, 2015. Very disappointed as we have looked forward to this cruise for a couple of years