Alaska Questions

Cruiser-66

We've cruised quite a bit and Alaska is still on our bucket list. I usually book my own cruises and air, as I've had problems with TA's in the past. For some reason this time I don't know where to start. I think this time we want to do cruise only, although the travel by rail I think we would enjoy. We want to do Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. I'm noticing if we sail late Aug. or early Sept. we can save a lot of money. What is the weather like? Is it worth it or would it be too cold? Which ship is preferable? If anyone can give me some insight I would appreciate it. Is it better to start up north or south?

I believe most itineraries visit Hubbard glacier on southbound route, could be wrong. We done alaska 8 times now and going again the september. The weather is...well, its Alaska, its going to rain on every cruise at least one day. Glacier days will be cold...everytime. Its what makes it special. In my opinion and I'm sure people will disagree, but Alaska weather is too unpredictable to plan around so don't even consider it. I love the last cruise of the season so this year we booked a b/b 14 day round trip Vancouver/Whittier/Vancouver...join us!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

We've cruised quite a bit and Alaska is still on our bucket list. I usually book my own cruises and air, as I've had problems with TA's in the past. For some reason this time I don't know where to start. I think this time we want to do cruise only, although the travel by rail I think we would enjoy. We want to do Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. I'm noticing if we sail late Aug. or early Sept. we can save a lot of money. What is the weather like? Is it worth it or would it be too cold? Which ship is preferable? If anyone can give me some insight I would appreciate it. Is it better to start up north or south?

I would recommend a 14 day rtn cruise from Vancouver . HAL and Princess would be my preferences. Hubbard Glacier is usually visited on southbound cruises and Glacier bay both ways. Look at the cruise line that your interested in . Some of the best weather on the coast can be in late Aug or early Sept. Late Sept the weather has a tendency to get bad especially in Alaska. Sometime in Sept the snow starts to fly in the high country and many tour operators shut down by mid to late Sept.

There are always exceptions but generally after you move past mid-August you are moving into a wetter, cooler (not cold) time of the year. That said I have experienced some very warm and very dry times in that period. I am not sure that there is a bad ship or line that sails to Alaska and we all likely have our favourites. My advice would be to do some research into what you want to see and do and then match that up with a ship and itinerary that best meets what you want to see. As a footnote I will say that while Vancouver is a little harder and more expensive to get to, you will be rewarded with much more scenery than sailing out of Seattle.

You want to check Princess. Their southbound cruises go to both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. It is easy to do a land trip before the cruise. You can rent a car and just drive up to Danali for a few days or down to Seward. I went in Late August-early Sept a few years ago and the weather was beautiful. The trees were turning colors in the northern areas. You might also consider renting an RV for a week. It will be off season prices and the campgrounds will be empty.

Edited by Eileen G

How far is the train ride from Vancouver to Whittier? That's the one thing we want to try and do, and still not book the land tour. We're thinking Princess for our cruise, but that could change.

According to Alaska Railroad website Anchorage South to Whittier time shown as leaving at 9:45 am and arriving at 12:05. Did not check time from Whittier North to Anchorage. That is summer trip times.

How far is the train ride from Vancouver to Whittier? That's the one thing we want to try and do, and still not book the land tour. We're thinking Princess for our cruise, but that could change.

There is no train between Vancouver and Whittier . The only way to get to Whittier from Vancouver is to fly to Anchorage then the train to Whiitier.

The only other way is drive to Whittier ( 6 days + on the road).

You only have two cruise options IF you want both Hubbard and Glacier Bay glacier sailings. Princess and NCL.

Your timeframe, can have more rain, but is the latest I suggest. Once you get past the first week of Sept. you are compromising too much on daylight, dark by 7pm (and colder). Going in August is preferable in my opinion.

This is assuming you are only looking at one cruise. Ideal can be 2 cruises, with the HAL Princess recommendation excellent, allowing some extra time in both Whittier and Seward.

I'm so sorry I should have said Anchorage to Whittier. Vancouver is no where close to Whittier. Now is there a train that goes from Anchorage to Whittier? Maybe renting a car is the best way to get there.

The Alaska Railroad has a spur line which branches off the main Seward to Fairbanks line and provides service to Whittier.

And remember if you rent a car you will need to take tunnel times into consideration.

The Alaska Cruise was on my mom's bucket list as well so I decided to give the trip to her for Christmas this past December. I booked our own cruise and flights as well myself. (always) We are booked on the 7 Day Inside Passage with Glacier Bay on Golden Princess in May from Seattle. At the time I booked the cruise (October of last year) it was the cheapest itinerary. I do see one in May now that is $50 cheaper pp and one in September that is $40 cheaper pp. That is not a huge difference really. I booked a 3 for deal that included a $100 deposit pp, a free dinner for each of us in one of the specialty fee restaurants, and $50 on board credit for both of us. We are very happy with this deal. 76 days and we can't wait.

Good luck finding the best one for you. Happy Sailing :D

Alaska was also on my bucket list. And since I want to get as much into the one trip as possible - I booked HAL's 14 day itinerary. It hits a lot of places that most 7 day trips don't (Homer, Kodiak), we are scheduled for both Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier, and port times are generous. It's also Seattle to Seattle, which IMO is easier for flying since it's domestic.

I'm not ruling out that this will be my only trip to Alaska, but it will give me a good taste of everything so that next time, I can go back to the parts I liked most.