Booked Statendam and now its for sale?

hal lover

I wouldn't worry too much. Most of us have been under the impression Statendam (and others) have been for sale for a long time. They don't sell and transfer ships all that fast if past history is any quide.

I'd go ahead with my plans but keep receipts and records of everything you spend (ie airfare etc) in case you have to produce proof for reimbursement.

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you for your quick response Sail! Keep receipts won't be any problem.

I wonder though, will HA keep up the ship or let it go? I sailed on the Statendam once, right after dry dock and it was not very nice for many of the passengers. I would hate to be on her for the 30 nights we have booked and be miserable.

Truth be told, I have uneasy since we booked this trip. I'm for the most part a very positive person but this booking truly has me second guessing!

I would suspect they will maintain all required/scheduled maintenance and upkeep. You just may find her in even better shape in order to get a good price. :)

Same as when we try to sell our houses, we do some extra 'sprucing up' and make any very necessary repairs.

I would suspect they will maintain all required/scheduled maintenance and upkeep. You just may find her in even better shape in order to get a good price. :)

Same as when we try to sell our houses, we do some extra 'sprucing up' and make any very necessary repairs.

OH Sail, thank you! Always the voice of reason! We are booked in October. Will continue to think positive! I am a Realtor and I never thought of it the way that you did Sail! I should have known better! Keeping my fingers crossed!

I am guessing you will have a great cruise. I doubt if these transfers ever happen overnight. Celebrity just announced the retirement of the Century, and it will not happen until April 2015. If a buyer is found I would expect at least a farewell year with HAL and you may be in on the ground floor for special celebrations with tickets sold after the departure becomes final going for much higher prices.

My first HAL cruise was the final season of the SS Rotterdam and I have sailed the final crossing of QE2 and both were great cruises.

Roy

OH Sail, thank you! Always the voice of reason! We are booked in October. Will continue to think positive! I am a Realtor and I never thought of it the way that you did Sail! I should have known better! Keeping my fingers crossed!

On the other hand, ever sold a "fixer-upper" or a "handy-man-special"?

We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Statendam in January. "She" was looking tired in many areas (rugs, moldings, especially linens and towels). There was always cleaning, polishing and painting going on throughout the ship (as on every other ship we've been on).

Do hope they keep her in top notch shape as she is a beautiful ship and I'm glad we were able to cruise on her.

I am guessing you will have a great cruise. I doubt if these transfers ever happen overnight. Celebrity just announced the retirement of the Century, and it will not happen until April 2015. If a buyer is found I would expect at least a farewell year with HAL and you may be in on the ground floor for special celebrations with tickets sold after the departure becomes final going for much higher prices.

My first HAL cruise was the final season of the SS Rotterdam and I have sailed the final crossing of QE2 and both were great cruises.

Roy

VERY good points. :)

We cannot worry about everything..... most of which never happens. ;)

I truly would not worry about a cruise in October. It is highly doubtful the ship will be out of the fleet by then, IMO.

[/b]

Thank you for your quick response Sail! Keep receipts won't be any problem.

I wonder though, will HA keep up the ship or let it go? I sailed on the Statendam once, right after dry dock and it was not very nice for many of the passengers. I would hate to be on her for the 30 nights we have booked and be miserable.

Truth be told, I have uneasy since we booked this trip. I'm for the most part a very positive person but this booking truly has me second guessing!

We were on her in Oct and while the ship was in general good repair and kept up, we had a problem with vibration in our cabin, it was not a fun experience. Most of the cabins and public areas were fine, just those in our area for some reason.

So, what if she is sold before the time for the cruise? Does HAL just cancel your trip or what? I've got a not so warm feeling about this cruise. HELP!

Older ships are frequently offered for sale to test the market. That does not mean a sale is imminent. When the 'S' class goes, there will be a "farewell period" before the ship(s) physically leave(s) the fleet similar to what occurred when the last four HAL vessels went to different owners:

ss Rotterdam V

Sale to Premier Cruises announced; January 1996

Left the fleet: September 1997

ms Nieuw Amsterdam III

Sale to American Classic Voyages announced: June 1999

Left the fleet: October 2000

ms Westerdam II

Transfer to Costa announced: March 2001

Left the fleet: April 2002

ms Noordam III

Transfer/long-term charter to Thomson announced: January 2004

Left the fleet: November 2004

Although not directly related, the same scenario outlined by John in the previous post played out as regards Celebrity's CENTURY. It was '' announced'' 3 months ago by another ''sibling '' of the RCCL family ,Croisiere de France, that CENTURY will be moved over to them Spring 2015....a good 15++ months aftere the initial press release.

Celebrity finally announced to day a series of ''farewell sailings''....

I suggest all lines are ''in the same boat'' ( pun intended ) when it comes to remove an asset .

Cheers

We sail on her to Alaska in June. My first reaction was OH NO!:eek:

But I am confident the ship will be in great shape. They certainly don't want to disappoint HAL customers. They couldn't afford to do so. I agree with other posts; the ship may be in the best condition ever to make her more marketable. So my mantra ...don't worry, be happy!

We sailed to Alaska last September on the Statendam and quite enjoyed the ship and the trip!

Ham Op, the joke's on me. On another thread, I tried to kill the bug on my iPad, only to find it again as I scrolled down. I thought, "Oh, no! There's a bug INSIDE my iPad! How did it get there?" And envisioned trying to take it apart. Until I realized.... Talk about senior moment! :rolleyes:

Edited by LVSue

We sailed to Alaska last September on the Statendam and quite enjoyed the ship and the trip!

Ham Op, the joke's on me. On another thread, I tried to kill the bug on my iPad, only to find it again as I scrolled down. I thought, "Oh, no! There's a bug INSIDE my iPad! How did it get there?" And envisioned trying to take it apart. Until I realized.... Talk about senior moment! :rolleyes:

You made my day, LVSue! Only wish I'd been a "bug" on the wall to watch you try to kill it.

Talk about a winner for America's Funniest Home Videos....$10,000 could have been yours!!!

We sail on her to Alaska in June. My first reaction was OH NO!:eek:

But I am confident the ship will be in great shape. They certainly don't want to disappoint HAL customers. They couldn't afford to do so. I agree with other posts; the ship may be in the best condition ever to make her more marketable. So my mantra ...don't worry, be happy!

Why thank you Mr. Henry and everyone else! I'm not going to worry (too much) and for sure am going to be happy! This is my dream cruise!

Older ships are frequently offered for sale to test the market. That does not mean a sale is imminent. When the 'S' class goes, there will be a "farewell period" before the ship(s) physically leave(s) the fleet similar to what occurred when the last four HAL vessels went to different owners:

ss Rotterdam V

Sale to Premier Cruises announced; January 1996

Left the fleet: September 1997

ms Nieuw Amsterdam III

Sale to American Classic Voyages announced: June 1999

Left the fleet: October 2000

ms Westerdam II

Transfer to Costa announced: March 2001

Left the fleet: April 2002

ms Noordam III

Transfer/long-term charter to Thomson announced: January 2004

Left the fleet: November 2004

A high School classmate and his wife were on the second last cruise of the Noordam III.

Now they are talking about taking the Noordam IV next November as classmate of the guy is supposed to be the Chaplain on the cruise they are considering.

Hi, Sue! We'll miss you on the Amsterdam May 18, but you can be sure we'll be thinking of you. I'm sure you and your Mom will enjoy the Statendam. Last September was our first time and we really enjoyed it. It helped that the huge storm, when they had to cancel THREE ports, was the week before.

Plus we have booked the Eurodam out of Quebec 9/24. It cost an arm and a leg to get there from Las Vegas, but we're excited!