Open Dining Questions

BABA 7

I will be sailing on the Equinox in March....have sailed many times, but always with the traditional dining...so this is a first....any hints would be very welcome!:D

On our last two cruises we tried select dining and now returning to traditional. We found that, because of show times - based round traditional dining - we were eating at the same time anyway. You can book a table the night before BUT if your allocated tAble is still in use then you have to wait. Often there were long queues around the door. Some passengers were not happy and to me this spoiled the ambiance of going to dinner. You also shared with different people each evening - you may like this but we do like getting to know our fellow diners and discussing our day. Tables for two were gone early.

Also many people walking in and out of the dining room whilst you are eating. Then waiters resetting tables for the next group certainly didn't add to the relaxing meals we have enjoyed in traditional dining.

Others, of course, will prefer select dining and you should try it to decide yourself. Just remember to pre-book your table or you will be waiting in line.

We've done Select Dining on our last 3 or 4 cruises with mixed results. We switched to Select because early is way too early and my DH felt late was too late. We have not run into long lines and were able to get the same table, or at least in the same area, when requested. On our most recent cruise of 11 days we only went to the MDR once and Blu twice since we were in a suite.

The service in the MDR was adequate but the rushing around did not provide for a relaxed dining experience. We had a beverage package and agreed on only getting wine by the glass unless we were in Murano's. The wine brought to us in the MDR was not to our liking and we were not offered a menu to look over. Because of the rushing around we stuck with it.

Things were much quieter in Blu & the wine service was excellent.

Since we find ourselves going to dinner around 8:00 anyway, we've decided to go back to traditional dining.

Mary Lou

We have not been cruising for many years but now that we have caught the bug, we are hooked.

Part of our reluctance was being told when and with whom to eat. The opportunity to eat when we want and eat

with, or by ourselves ,was as great attraction.

There are a lot of 2 and 4 person tables in select dining.

We love it and would never select fixed time dining. Celebrity offers the added benefit of being able to reserve a set dining time with select.

On the Summit we reserved 2 nights and left the others free. One of the nights was a formal night where MDR's can get crowded.

We were told one night that the wait would be 40 minutes. That night we ate at the Bistro on 5 for crepes.

On all 3 of the cruise lines we have used, they try to put you with the same serving staff each night.

Just like in fixed time seating, they get to know you and your preferences.

Select dining is especially useful when you are on a port intensive cruise with full day excursions or when you and your travelling group wish to eat alone.

It may not work if you are a larger group.

Try it.:)

We actually like Select Dining, and it sounds as if the OP is assigned there, so the tips she asked for would be more helpful than listing the benefits of traditional! Anyway, we enjoy the freedom to eat at different times on different days, depending on our schedules. Some nights we want to see the show so organize our time around that, other nights we don't. To the OP: you can reserve in advance, including for the whole week if you want, or you can wing it and just show up when you want. We have done it both ways but now we usually just show up when ready, we haven;t had a problem with this but we tend to eat on the late side. You also should decide if you want a table for 2 or to join a larger table, of course this may depend on what is available. Once inside, it feels like a regular restaurant at home --- people are coming and going, different tables are on different courses. Service varies, but you can also request a favored waiter of you find one you like (this is course may mean more of a wait, but not always.) Back in our traditional dining days, we had some tables which were delightful and some which were less so, we had some great waiters and some not so good ones. With Select, you are not stuck with the same table and wait staff for the whole cruise, so that can be an advantage. We enjoy spending time together on a cruise because we are both so busy in our daily lives, and we like the freedom to relax and vary our schedule from day to day, so Select is a good choice for us.

Edited by cynbar

Tips?

Smile.

You'd be surprised how many people seem to almost bark at the matre'd / seat assigner at the restaurant entrance. Being nice goes a long way.

Be patient.

If you want a particular table or area, say you aren't in a hurry and enjoy a drink while your request is taken care of.

Reserve.

We never do this, but others who know they'd like to dine at a particular time ask for a table at the same time. Remember to be on time, and remember the first two suggestions.

Enjoy

You're there to "dine" not just to eat.

We did Select on the Silhouette last year and the one thing I learned quickly was I needed to understand which line to get into. There will be a line for Select with reservations and Select without. (We were without.) Without was always faster in our case, but once I managed to get in the wrong line, not realizing it. Also, I found that there was a distinct difference in the speed of the lines on the port vs starboard side. I think the host staff might have been new, or just slow, but be aware there may be a faster line.

Our first 2 nights we were sat at the same table, with the same servers. I wasn't thrilled with the table (it was right next to the server station so there were banging dishes behind my head all through my meal) and our servers neglected to refill drinks, and seem preoccupied with another party. So, on the 3rd night, I inquired if we could have a different table. They happily obliged and the service was MUCH better. So was the table!! One of the benefits of Select is if you don't like your location or your servers, it is easier to be accommodated somewhere else.

Last tip, or maybe a warning -- the first night is a little chaotic. All the passengers are trying to figure out where to go, etc. The lines were longest on the first night, followed by formal night. Don't let that discourage you, the other nights will be smoother. In fact, based on this experience, I've booked a specialty restaurant for our first night on our cruise in April. I would rather not deal with the crowds. Plus I get 20% off.

Overall, I prefer Select because I have the flexibility to go at different times (or the same time) every night. And I can just play it by ear.

As previously said, think of select dining as going to a busy restaurant on land and set your expectations accordingly. Blu is my preferred dining room, but if we aren't in Aqua, we always do select dining, at a table for two if we aren't sailing with friends or family.

When we get a waiter we like in select, we simply request his or her station if available. We find it helps if you go to the MDR before 7 pm for the greatest seating availability.

And I completely agree with the suggestions to be pleasant and smile when making requests, just as on land. The staff are very accommodating and try to please but it's amazing how peremptory and sometimes even outright rude some cruise guests are when asking for something. Always makes me wonder if they behave like that on land.

Only tried select once.... We like sitting on a table with other people as we enjoy the company of others. We like chatting about different topics. unfortunately the conversation never got past the introductory stage, as we were seated at different tables every night:( I got really board with the same thing every night.....

I would imagine if you were with friends or family it would be great

Unless I am traveling with my own group, I book select. I usually prebook for a table for 2 at 6:30. If I find a great waiter, I will request being seated in that section. On my last cruise on the Eclipse in January, we were seated next to 2 other couples with whom we enjoyed the converstion. At the end of that meal, we all asked to be seated together with the same waiter. We became a table of 6. Our table in select was reserved every night. We did not stand in any line. It was very nice. We were all close in age. We were all celebrating anniversaries. Ours was 45. The other 2 couples were celebrating 47 and 50. It was meant to be. We had a terrific time celebrating. We even booked the same cruise for next January. Unfortunately, we will be missing one of the group. One man died.

We just got off the Constellation and had Select dining. We were a party of 8 with a wheelchair. One of our guests approached the Maitr'e D on the day of embarkation and requested a late seating 8'ish. It was approved, we only waited to enter on the very first night but just a few minutes. Our table was in the far corner, but the staff drove the wheel chair maneuvering the aisle to our table. It was very quiet (near the huge window - it was dark anyway, so you couldn't see out). All of our servers were wonderful including the efficient Sommelier. We usually prefer Late seating.

Unless I am traveling with my own group, I book select. I usually prebook for a table for 2 at 6:30. If I find a great waiter, I will request being seated in that section. On my last cruise on the Eclipse in January, we were seated next to 2 other couples with whom we enjoyed the converstion. At the end of that meal, we all asked to be seated together with the same waiter. We became a table of 6. Our table in select was reserved every night. We did not stand in any line. It was very nice. We were all close in age. We were all celebrating anniversaries. Ours was 45. The other 2 couples were celebrating 47 and 50. It was meant to be. We had a terrific time celebrating. We even booked the same cruise for next January. Unfortunately, we will be missing one of the group. One man died.

We wanted Select but refuse to prepay our tips. I hope we get seated with a nice table of people in March

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

We wanted Select but refuse to prepay our tips. I hope we get seated with a nice table of people in March

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Why?

I don't want to turn this into a tipping thread but why would having to pre-pay tips in select matter so much to you that you would actually alter your dining plans.

Why?

I don't want to turn this into a tipping thread but why would having to pre-pay tips in select matter so much to you that you would actually alter your dining plans.

We have booked fixed dining instead of select when we had a large OBC which would cover tips as will as our other expenses (we had the 123 GO drink package), so we did not want to pay ahead and have unused OBC. When we boarded we asked to change and we were accommodated by the second night. We prefer Select dining for the flexibility it allows us, particularly on a port intensive cruise. We usually ask for a table for two, but will take a shared table if it will be significantly quicker.

Sheila