More RCI Cost Cutting?

Someone mentioned missing the past-guest gifts (ball caps and tote bags). I always enjoyed them as well. However, if you go back on these boards a few years, you will see many threads COMPLAINING about these very gifts.

Same with the pillow chocolates.

Some people just cannot be pleased.

Have you noticed that no one comments about the fact that the $65 fuel surcharge has never once been implemented even though the cost of fuel has gone way up???

Kathy

Have you noticed that no one comments about the fact that the $65 fuel surcharge has never once been implemented even though the cost of fuel has gone way up???

They are not doing it because it would raise a ruckus, not because they like us.

There are less inflammatory ways to do it such as adding in small price increases here and there or by decreasing other costs. You really think they are eating fuel costs and not making it up somewhere else?

OP, sorry to hear you were disappointed but as stated, some of these things are not new. Ice has been "upon request" for some time now and even then, it's only a one-time request for the whole cruise, right? No biggie. Also, the cabin steward is NOT responsible for the fridge (cooler) items - that is now and has been for some time the responsibility of Bar Services. Your cabin steward had every right to decline your requests but perhaps s/he was rude about it, I don't know.

Can you explain the "Formal Wear required" comment concerning the top tier event?

Although I agree with the OP there have been many ways RCI has cut to save money I also know that I am paying less for 4 people to cruise now than what I paid for 2 people to cruise on my very first cruise. Yes things are not even close to the same and the service --compared to my first cruise is very lacking -- I am paying less.

I think the cruise lines have responded appropriately to the economic downturn and cut cost so people can still afford to cruise frequently. Would I like to have all that service again? Absolutely but I like the cost savings more.

As for the ice. The first night we did not have ice but I always carry on board diet dr pepper and I left some sitting on the desk. After the first morning cleaning there was an ice bucket in my room and it was refilled in the morning and at night. He even put my ddp's in the bucket to cool them down. In my book that is service, above and beyond.

I have a question unrelated to the napkin thing;)

I searched the forums and could not find any info on this.

I had a next cruise certificate (open) and was told to wait till the cruise I wanted came onto the saving certificate, which is now the exclusive rates.

which is really bothersome that you have to take a booking to the end to see a discount.

the cruise we wanted finally showed up under CA exclusive rates :D

BUT, no discount? I called CA and asked about the factor it was there but no savings?

the CA rep verified it was there under exclusive rates, but couldnt tell me why there was no discount?

after being on hold for 20 mins while they talked to a supervisor, they came back to say "we only have limited rooms available under exclusive rates and when they are gone they are gone"???

I told her I had found better rates elsewhere, but wanted to book direct, I was told to go with the lower rate LoL

at least the old savings certificates were good until date, for all CA members to use, plus what the limit on cabins available?

this sounds like a true price cut to me, or am I wrong and should try another CA rep?

Having no ice bucket makes sense. It just takes up space and collects dust, and many people will never use it. We never ask for ice, and a bucket just takes up counter space which could be used for something we actually use. I'm not even sure why I would need ice in the cabin, as there's really nothing I need to keep that cold. It can't really be that much of an inconvenience to ask for it, for those that want one. I don't imagine that it saves much money, but it definitely makes the room a little more appealing without one.

Edited by ehfl

from what i understand their use to be pizza making by the pool and that is gone and the pizza in the cafe wasnt very good, plastic cheese frozen type.

I think we will see a trend in the decline of the free food to push those to pay restaurants sadly .

from what i understand their use to be pizza making by the pool and that is gone and the pizza in the cafe wasnt very good, plastic cheese frozen type.

I think we will see a trend in the decline of the free food to push those to pay restaurants sadly .

What ship? The ones that I've been on never had a pizza maker by the pool. On certain day(s) by the pool they've had burgers, hot dogs, paella, etc. With regards to the ice bucket, I know about it and ask the cabins steward for ice to be provided every day, but also extra bath towels--there's never been any hesitation. What I miss the most is the "Shipshape Dollars" that one was awarded from the various competitions and used the dollars to purchase totes, t-shirts, etc.

Ps. I still have unspent shipshape dollars.

Have you seen more RCI cost cutting?

I noted in my recent Jewel cruise that on Thursday in Barbados we docked at 7:30am. Every cruise in my questionable memory has had the Windjammer open at least an hour before arrival at a port. On this day it didn't open till 7:30.

The coupon books are missing the match plays and free internet as well. Before it was 10 credit, now it is a discount. They cut out all the useful coupons.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree completely.

If these minor budget cuts keep cruise prices down, these changes do not bother me. I'd rather do with these cuts than to keep these same services and amenities and have my cruise cost me more money. JMHO

Someone mentioned missing the past-guest gifts (ball caps and tote bags). I always enjoyed them as well. However, if you go back on these boards a few years, you will see many threads COMPLAINING about these very gifts.

Same with the pillow chocolates.

Some people just cannot be pleased.

Kathy

I will agree, there are some/many people who just cannot be pleased.

Whether it is lower prices in conjunction with service changes or higher prices and no discounts; whether it is adding more 'for fee services' in place of the free things that came along with the cruise anyway to keep pricing down or making business decisions as to where to cut personnel or extras (pillow chocolates), yet maintain other areas (like entertainment) --- there will always be people who will say "I remember when" and be unhappy with the present.

I look at today and say, "I enjoy what I choose to do with my vacation time".

I will agree, there are some/many people who just cannot be pleased.

Whether it is lower prices in conjunction with service changes or higher prices and no discounts; whether it is adding more 'for fee services' in place of the free things that came along with the cruise anyway to keep pricing down or making business decisions as to where to cut personnel or extras (pillow chocolates), yet maintain other areas (like entertainment) --- there will always be people who will say "I remember when" and be unhappy with the present.

I look at today and say, "I enjoy what I choose to do with my vacation time".

In five years the same people will be saying "remember when" and be referring to today. Enjoy today because you did not know what the future of cruising holds

I am not quite sure where people come up with the idea that services and amenities are cut in order to keep cruise pricing down. Services and amenities are cut where they can be in order to maximize profits. Cruise prices will be set at what ever level the company feels will generate maximum profit. The ecomonic theory is not complicated. The methods used to determine how to achieve maximum profit between the various revenue streams and expenses is another matter entirely. But the bottom line is, in fact, the bottom line. It is all about maximizing profit.

I am not quite sure where people come up with the idea that services and amenities are cut in order to keep cruise pricing down. Services and amenities are cut where they can be in order to maximize profits. Cruise prices will be set at what ever level the company feels will generate maximum profit. The ecomonic theory is not complicated. The methods used to determine how to achieve maximum profit between the various revenue streams and expenses is another matter entirely. But the bottom line is, in fact, the bottom line. It is all about maximizing profit.

But you can't maximize profit if you aren't selling cruises, and if your prices are out of line, people aren't going to buy.

The pimentos in the olives now weigh .000007 ounce when they used to bust out at .0000072 ounce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

American Airlines removed olives from their salads some years back and achieved estimated $500,000 in fuel savings annually because of it. :D

They should go back to plain drink stirrers. Several years back they changed and got fancy stirrer sticks with the RCI anchor logo on them. What a complete waste of money.

My conspiracy theory............there was never an escargot shortage. They were just cutting costs....lol :rolleyes: ps..I never had problems buying them in the grocery store. They are in a can located by the tuna and canned chicken. :D

I assume this may have been posited way back when in this thread, but someone pointed it out to me recently, and it's appropriate here. Well thought out and honest discussion about the changes RCI implemented, and the rationale behind them. It's a couple years old....

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/addressing-recent-rccl-policy-changes/

They should go back to plain drink stirrers. Several years back they changed and got fancy stirrer sticks with the RCI anchor logo on them. What a complete waste of money.

My conspiracy theory............there was never an escargot shortage. They were just cutting costs....lol :rolleyes: ps..I never had problems buying them in the grocery store. They are in a can located by the tuna and canned chicken. :D

Yeah, the first thing I thought after hearing about the "shortage" was that I should get into the escargot business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you can't maximize profit if you aren't selling cruises, and if your prices are out of line, people aren't going to buy.

That is exaclty my point. They price the cruise to maximize profit. That may mean pricing it for less than what they would like. But they are not pricing it for less because they simply want to give all of us a break. Even if they could find some way to drastically lower expenses they would still attempt to find that sweet price point.

I would rather pay more for a cruise, way more, to be pampered and be surrounded by nice things. I absolutely hate cheap. It makes me cringe. When I pay 4000 - 6000 for a cruise and get a cheap single ply roll of toilet paper it makes me angry. Teeny tiny bars of soap are another thing. These things cost the cruise line pennies. Who cares if some strange passengers pack them to take them home. It would be so easy to provide nicer things and make the guests happy. I don't give a rats butt if they raise my fare to 4010 from 4000 to cover these nice things. My goodness, its a vacation at a nice resort, not a tent on the river.

Don't get me started on the tips included thing either. Just tacky tacky tacky.

The point is, the cruise lines will continue to cut until the Customer pushes back. If the Customer doesn't push back, they will continue to cut and/or raise prices. Its basic economics.

Just look at the airlines. It used to be nice to fly. Everyone got meals, good meals. Then it went to poor meals, then it went to none. Now it is like riding a filthy stinky city bus. But the planes are packed full. So the cuts will continue and the prices will continue to increase until the Customers push back.

I would rather pay more for a cruise, way more, to be pampered and be surrounded by nice things. I absolutely hate cheap. It makes me cringe. When I pay 4000 - 6000 for a cruise and get a cheap single ply roll of toilet paper it makes me angry. Teeny tiny bars of soap are another thing. These things cost the cruise line pennies. Who cares if some strange passengers pack them to take them home. It would be so easy to provide nicer things and make the guests happy. I don't give a rats butt if they raise my fare to 4010 from 4000 to cover these nice things. My goodness, its a vacation at a nice resort, not a tent on the river.

The single-ply toilet paper is more about not clogging the waste systems than cost saving.

Luxury can be had by paying for suites where they have enhanced bath products and soaps for those that do want luxury and don't mind paying for it. Or sailing the Luxury lines.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the cruising public now wants a VALUE over luxury, so the lines have responded to that desire, while still keeping the suites around for those who want and will pay for more.

If these minor budget cuts keep cruise prices down, these changes do not bother me. I'd rather do with these cuts than to keep these same services and amenities and have my cruise cost me more money. JMHO

I somewhat agree, but can't give it a full support given all the alleged cut backs. I don't need an anchor on every bar napkin, but I do like hitting the windjammer before heading ashore at a port. I don't care how many towel animals I see.

I think the new pool towel policy is costing them more than the old one though.

Don't get me started on the tips included thing either. Just tacky tacky tacky.

The point is, the cruise lines will continue to cut until the Customer pushes back. If the Customer doesn't push back, they will continue to cut and/or raise prices. Its basic economics.

Just look at the airlines. It used to be nice to fly. Everyone got meals, good meals. Then it went to poor meals, then it went to none. Now it is like riding a filthy stinky city bus. But the planes are packed full. So the cuts will continue and the prices will continue to increase until the Customers push back.

Completely agree, I'm the same way.