More RCI Cost Cutting?

I would rather pay more for a cruise, way more, to be pampered and be surrounded by nice things. I absolutely hate cheap. It makes me cringe. When I pay 4000 - 6000 for a cruise and get a cheap single ply roll of toilet paper it makes me angry. Teeny tiny bars of soap are another thing. These things cost the cruise line pennies. Who cares if some strange passengers pack them to take them home. It would be so easy to provide nicer things and make the guests happy. I don't give a rats butt if they raise my fare to 4010 from 4000 to cover these nice things. My goodness, its a vacation at a nice resort, not a tent on the river.

Don't get me started on the tips included thing either. Just tacky tacky tacky.

The point is, the cruise lines will continue to cut until the Customer pushes back. If the Customer doesn't push back, they will continue to cut and/or raise prices. Its basic economics.

Just look at the airlines. It used to be nice to fly. Everyone got meals, good meals. Then it went to poor meals, then it went to none. Now it is like riding a filthy stinky city bus. But the planes are packed full. So the cuts will continue and the prices will continue to increase until the Customers push back.

Well, here's the thing. What may be pennies in cost to you can actually end up costing an industry millions in the end. Lets just use your bar of soap example. Lets assume every cabin goes through two bars of soap per cruise, one for the shower and the other for the sink. If you price each as even a ridiculously cheap $0.50 per bar, on the Oasis, every cruise will go through $2,700 worth of soap per week, minimum. Multiply that out over 52 weeks during the year, and multiply that cost across the entire fleet, and suddenly what might be pennies to you turns into a tens of millions expense annually. And should people start pocketing an extra bar of soap to take home on top of that expense, you could very quickly double that expense.

I would rather pay more for a cruise, way more, to be pampered and be surrounded by nice things. I absolutely hate cheap. It makes me cringe. When I pay 4000 - 6000 for a cruise and get a cheap single ply roll of toilet paper it makes me angry. Teeny tiny bars of soap are another thing. These things cost the cruise line pennies. Who cares if some strange passengers pack them to take them home. It would be so easy to provide nicer things and make the guests happy. I don't give a rats butt if they raise my fare to 4010 from 4000 to cover these nice things. My goodness, its a vacation at a nice resort, not a tent on the river.

The point is, the cruise lines will continue to cut until the Customer pushes back. If the Customer doesn't push back, they will continue to cut and/or raise prices. Its basic economics.

Just look at the airlines. It used to be nice to fly. Everyone got meals, good meals. Then it went to poor meals, then it went to none. Now it is like riding a filthy stinky city bus. But the planes are packed full. So the cuts will continue and the prices will continue to increase until the Customers push back.

Just two thoughts, I believe you can pay more and get the things you want, if RCI doesn't offer them I know there are more expensive more luxury oriented lines out there.

and my second thought was that I don't ever remember getting a good meal on an airplane. honestly I thought doing away with airline meals was a merciful thing. My airline experience goes back to the seventies and the only good thing to eat ever on a plane has been the peanuts.

Well, here's the thing. What may be pennies in cost to you can actually end up costing an industry millions in the end. Lets just use your bar of soap example. Lets assume every cabin goes through two bars of soap per cruise, one for the shower and the other for the sink. If you price each as even a ridiculously cheap $0.50 per bar, on the Oasis, every cruise will go through $2,700 worth of soap per week, minimum. Multiply that out over 52 weeks during the year, and multiply that cost across the entire fleet, and suddenly what might be pennies to you turns into a tens of millions expense annually. And should people start pocketing an extra bar of soap to take home on top of that expense, you could very quickly double that expense.

I would like the bars of soap to disappear altogether and be replaced by soap dispensers that are on the walls. It would use liquid antibacterial soap that is dispensed on an as needed basis and no need for the cruise line to worry about any cruiser taking home a bar or two of soap -- because there are NO bars to take home. It would mean a lot less WASTE as well. Therefore more cost effective.

We pay less than $4 for 12 full size bars of soap. My guess is that in the quantities that Royal buys soap, and the size of the soap being small, they pay far less than $0.50 per bar. Possibly an order of magnitude less.

I haven't read every post but here is my response to some posts. The C&A caps have sold RCCL a few cruises as it has open up many coffee shop conversations. The same with the tote bags for my wife. No ice buckets in the room would do us in as we use the ice all the time.

We are very near to Diamond plus but have decided after the next 2 cruises we are going to start shopping other lines. If I am going to get Carnival quality then I want to pay Carnival prices. Actually, Carnival is becoming a step up from RCCL. RCCL will do good for a short period of time but then the new attitude will hurt them hard. Oh well, it was a good line in the old days.

Hey, I'm wondering if the guy who started this thread 18 months ago is still around? Wondering about your connection to the Stefan Batory? It was my first cruise in 1976, Montreal to Southampton and back. It was an Olympic year in Montreal, which made the passenger list quite interesting! An enormous shot putter worked out in a gym the size of an interior cabin:eek:

Anyway, that's all I wanted to know...sorry to get off topic.

Edited by Familygoboston

I would like the bars of soap to disappear altogether and be replaced by soap dispensers that are on the walls. It would use liquid antibacterial soap that is dispensed on an as needed basis

I'm neutral towards dispensers, but would hate that anti-bacterial stuff to be used. Questionable benefits if any for personal use compared to regular soap, and may well be harmful overall.

To the poster who linked RCI's explanation of "cuts," I thank you.

To the one who wants luxury, let me give the other side. Some of us need to pinch every penny in order to cruise, so I vote for keeping prices down. (I can understand how those who pay big prices for their cruise can get bent out of shape with certain "cuts"; however, those of us in the cheapest inside cabin are happy just to be on the ship. (And I chuckle at the comment about how much the cruise costs but complaining about tips. I sometimes wonder if those of us in the cheapest cabins don't tip much more generously than those paying a lot more. Just a thought. Nothing to base it on except comments here and there.)

Regarding the little bars of soap, consider that each bar is wrapped and that paper along with what remains of the used bars after we leave must be disposed of.

As for me, I never compare my cruise with what we once had many years ago. I enjoy it for what it is at the moment. Makes for a wonderful experience.

I love to be on a beautiful Royal Caribbean ship!!

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

Edited by petesweet

In your case, if you are willing and able to pay for premium service and amenities, why not switch to a luxury brand and not put up with a cheap and inferior cruise line.

In your case, if you are willing and able to pay for premium service and amenities, why not switch to a luxury brand and not put up with a cheap and inferior cruise line.

I found it humorous the poster was willing to pay $4010 instead of $4000 to return to luxury...not sure how that extra 10 bux would accommodate that. :eek:

Adjusted to inflation, a $4000 cruise in 1985 would need to sell for $8500 today!

I would like the bars of soap to disappear altogether and be replaced by soap dispensers that are on the walls. It would use liquid antibacterial soap that is dispensed on an as needed basis and no need for the cruise line to worry about any cruiser taking home a bar or two of soap -- because there are NO bars to take home. It would mean a lot less WASTE as well. Therefore more cost effective.

What makes you think that the prior guest left pure soap in the soap dispenser before you arrived? Yuk! I would never use something with which the prior passenger could have tampered.

What makes you think that the prior guest left pure soap in the soap dispenser before you arrived? Yuk! I would never use something with which the prior passenger could have tampered.

Several hotel chains use refilled dispensers, some other cruise lines do as well.

I simply can't imagine a world where someone would take the time to spoil such a thing as pre dispensed soap. All public restrooms use them, hair salons do etc.... its very commonplace.

W hotels refill their large bottles and they are not even dispensers, they are handheld bottles as but one example (at least the W in London does).

To the poster who linked RCI's explanation of "cuts," I thank you.

To the one who wants luxury, let me give the other side. Some of us need to pinch every penny in order to cruise, so I vote for keeping prices down. (I can understand how those who pay big prices for their cruise can get bent out of shape with certain "cuts"; however, those of us in the cheapest inside cabin are happy just to be on the ship. (And I chuckle at the comment about how much the cruise costs but complaining about tips. I sometimes wonder if those of us in the cheapest cabins don't tip much more generously than those paying a lot more. Just a thought. Nothing to base it on except comments here and there.)

Regarding the little bars of soap, consider that each bar is wrapped and that paper along with what remains of the used bars after we leave must be disposed of.

As for me, I never compare my cruise with what we once had many years ago. I enjoy it for what it is at the moment. Makes for a wonderful experience.

I love to be on a beautiful Royal Caribbean ship!!

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

I'm not asking for them to raise the price they charge you. Everyone is welcome to the party. I am asking them to raise the price they charge me and provide me with upgraded quality products and services. No, I am not about to pay $21,000 for a suite just for the $20 premium amenities.

As far as tipping goes, for me, it has nothing to do with the amount of money I have or the cost of the cruise, it has everything to do with the quality of service I receive. I simply do not like them adding it to the check. It is very tacky. In fact, they loose on the deal because I typically tip 20% and they are asking me to tip 15% so I say screw it, take your 15% for being tacky. I simply consider it not a tip but part of the cost of the item. I am the opposite of cheap. On the last day, I typically hand out a significant amount of cash to each person that wowed me for the week. That is how I tip. For a service well done.

id prefer to pay a bit more and keep great service and good quality, however if they are going to do these cuts anyway for more profit(which they will) then my job is to get the best price possible. that is the only way to be ok with the cost cutting.

I simply do not like them adding it to the check. It is very tacky. In fact, they loose on the deal because I typically tip 20% and they are asking me to tip 15% so I say screw it, take your 15% for being tacky. I simply consider it not a tip but part of the cost of the item. I am the opposite of cheap. On the last day, I typically hand out a significant amount of cash to each person that wowed me for the week. That is how I tip. For a service well done.

Problem with that is your actions only hurt the person who gave the service, it does nothing to the corporation who institutes the policy unfortunately. So you should tip the standard automatic 15% and add 5% on cash or to the tip line, and then have a discussion with management or send a letter expressing your concern. Hurting the server doesn't accomplish anything. And thinking the sever can have any traction by letting their boss know they are getting less tips because of a policy will get nothing done either. The GUEST needs to tell management directly.

In some industries, tipping is just mandatory and part of the custom so it is best to think of it as added on to the bill as you say. It does not seem appropriate to remove it not give what you feel is your normal higher amount just to teach the faceless corporation a lesson. And cruise lines are very up front about the policy, so it should just be left alone, unless something horrific happens in relation to service, in which case I believe you let them know of the breakdown in service and give them a chance to recover. I feel everyone has an off day or can miss an expectation, however the important part is how do they recover from that missed expectation or poor service once given a chance. If failed a second time, then absolutely remove the tip and let management know exactly why so they can enact better training and supervision to properly correct the issue.

The staff certainly will appreciate the extra cash especially if service is above expectations.

So do you not use soap in a public restroom?

I wouldn´t even think about something that absurd. Usually such dispensers are only accesible with a tool. I know if you want to you could still Access it, but what would you do or do you think People will do?

Several hotel chains use refilled dispensers, some other cruise lines do as well.

I simply can't imagine a world where someone would take the time to spoil such a thing as pre dispensed soap. All public restrooms use them, hair salons do etc.... its very commonplace.

W hotels refill their large bottles and they are not even dispensers, they are handheld bottles as but one example (at least the W in London does).

You mean those are soap dispensers? No wonder I couldn't find the flush lever. Live and learn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not asking for them to raise the price they charge you. Everyone is welcome to the party. I am asking them to raise the price they charge me and provide me with upgraded quality products and services. No, I am not about to pay $21,000 for a suite just for the $20 premium amenities.

As far as tipping goes, for me, it has nothing to do with the amount of money I have or the cost of the cruise, it has everything to do with the quality of service I receive. I simply do not like them adding it to the check. It is very tacky. In fact, they loose on the deal because I typically tip 20% and they are asking me to tip 15% so I say screw it, take your 15% for being tacky. I simply consider it not a tip but part of the cost of the item. I am the opposite of cheap. On the last day, I typically hand out a significant amount of cash to each person that wowed me for the week. That is how I tip. For a service well done.

As I responded in my previous quote, RCL does not seem to be your cruise line as it is for the masses. You should try a more upscale line where you are pampered from head to toe.

I'm perplexed by your tirade about tipping. Are you complaining that a) it's too low, b) it should be included in the cruise fare or c) added to any bar drinks or specialty restaurant that you purchase. I would think that you would be happy that it is daily rate is added to your folio, and at the end of your cruise you can give extra to those that provided maximum service. That is what I do. Do you want to go back to the envelope thingy?

I wouldn´t even think about something that absurd. Usually such dispensers are only accesible with a tool. I know if you want to you could still Access it, but what would you do or do you think People will do?

actually he is not wrong, once at a gym i was using a dispenser in the shower i smelt something funny, and yeah someone puked or whatever inside it. :( it was very very gross and i still have a fear of them today, on the ship a brought small irish spring bars. and i lifted the lid and it was easy to open on RC.