Woman Attacked/Raped On Nieuw Amsterdam

ScriptOhio

This young woman is alive today because she fought for her life. Bless her for that. I hope she heals, although I am sure it will take a long while.

I do hope that there are some policy changes that take place as a result of this incident. Frankly, I do not see a reason why a person delivering food needs to have access to a cabin. If the person doesn't answer the door, leave it in the hall or something. And, as someone else said, they definitely shouldn't have those keys when they are off duty.. Just an awful, awful story.

This part of an article from the Sun Sentinel says the attacker was a HAL employee since 2012:

---

Officials from Holland America Line said the "senseless assault" shook the entire company to its core.

"We continue to work closely with authorities to understand how this incident occurred and what additional actions we can take to help ensure that nothing like this ever happens again," according to a statement released Tuesday.

They said Pujayasa was hired in 2012, following "a careful screening that included a clean criminal history check. He had no performance issues and came with good references."

Thanks, I totally missed this.

Or maybe he's just an evil person. Legitimate mental illness may explain (not excuse) a criminal action. But if this guy were thoroughly screened as part of the hiring process, and it sounds like he was, I would hope the screening process would have found some indication of his problem.

Even with mental illness this may not have been found in any type of screening process, One does not know how long till his contract was up, were their family problems at home, I do not want to speculate on anything but he could have gone off the deep end so to speak. One must wonder if his fellow crew members saw a change in his behavior and attitude in recent times. It does make you wonder how many crew have problems adjusting to being gone for long periods of time.

Even with mental illness this may not have been found in any type of screening process, One does not know how long till his contract was up, were their family problems at home, I do not want to speculate on anything but he could have gone off the deep end so to speak. One must wonder if his fellow crew members saw a change in his behavior and attitude in recent times. It does make you wonder how many crew have problems adjusting to being gone for long periods of time.

That's something I was thinking about too. It's possible this guy was totally normal, but then worked on a cruise ship for so long, it soured him. It happens. I'm not defending the guy in any way, shape or form as he knew how he was feeling and if he was unhappy there - could have terminated his employment I'm sure. I just hope the woman is able to recover. The emotional scars alone will be brutal to bear.

Australian Media Article relating to this incident.

Ketut Pujayasa confesses to raping a passenger and trying to throw her overboard off Holland America cruise ship

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/ketut-pujayasa-confesses-to-raping-a-passenger-and-trying-to-throw-her-overboard-off-holland-america-cruise-ship/story-fnizu68q-1226831634296

Thanks, I totally missed this.

I'm not sure that you actually missed it, I think the article (below) was updated by the paper on 8:49 p.m. EST, February 18, 2014.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/fl-holland-america-cruise-rape-overboard-20140218,0,7727316.story

They also added this: Since 2010, cruise lines that visit U.S. ports have been required to report some crimes, including sexual assaults, to the FBI. From Jan. 1, 2010, through Sept. 30, 2013, 156 sex assaults were reported to the FBI, according to the Government Accounting Office.

Of those, the FBI closed 64 investigations because either a verdict was delivered and appeals were concluded; the statute of limitations ran out; or federal prosecutors declined to prosecute the case. According to records, 39 of the assaults were committed by passengers, 22 were committed by crew and three were committed by "others." The data do not specify who the victims were.

Wow. This is awful, I feel so bad for the woman. He must have serious mental problems. :(

I'm wondering, does a master key work on the deadbolt too? I've always felt safe with the dead bolt engaged, now I'm wondering!

I always use the deadbolt when I'm in the room alone. Hmmmm. Hopefully someone on this board can enlighten us whether the deadbolt hampers the use of the pass key.

I think you are correct. In some cultures (there is no need to name them) it is considered if not legally okay, at least culturally okay to kill someone who disrespects you, including your own children, let alone someone who cusses you out on the street. I would speculate that his "I became angry because of a slight" defense is what he thinks would play to his culture.

Agree 100%.

Australian Media Article relating to this incident.

Ketut Pujayasa confesses to raping a passenger and trying to throw her overboard off Holland America cruise ship

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/ketut-pujayasa-confesses-to-raping-a-passenger-and-trying-to-throw-her-overboard-off-holland-america-cruise-ship/story-fnizu68q-1226831634296

As I have stated before, Hal has no business contracting 'nude' cruises, trouble is coming anytime you have this with crews from other countries and religions, sorry...

Quit trying to figure out or offer your opinion "why" he might have done it! No one can know this answer to that!

It does not matter that it was a nude cruise......or that he was insulted....or anything else!

He raped and attempted a murder. Period!! Nuff said!!

My girlfriend sent me the article and asked if HAL is a line we cruise. It is not, but I just wanted to stop in and send our love, prayers, and support to this young woman. I wonder how we can be safer on our vacations. I hope this never happens again.

As I have stated before, Hal has no business contracting 'nude' cruises, trouble is coming anytime you have this with crews from other countries and religions, sorry...

So According to you all women should cover their heads on a regular cruise because this could be trouble with crews from other countries and religions?

I think you have no business posting anything that puts any blame on the victim. Rape is an act of violence, as was the attempt to murder the woman. It had nothing to do with the type of cruise.

I always use the deadbolt when I'm in the room alone. Hmmmm. Hopefully someone on this board can enlighten us whether the deadbolt hampers the use of the pass key.

On almost every cruise ship, the deadbolt stops a magnetic master key.

A few Senior Officers and Security Officers carry metal master keys that can override a deadbolt in cases of emergency.

She (the victim) has 0% blame for the incident. She is to be commended for fighting off the attacker the best she could; it undoubtedly saved her life. That facts are the attacker stalked her and was waiting in ambush on her balcony for her to return to her room. This incident had nothing to do with any language misrepresentation, the fact that it was a nude cruise, and/or what the woman might have been or have not been wearing. This could have happened on any cruise, on any ship, and on any cruise line. Sadly it (attack/rape/attempted murder) also could have happened to any of us in our own home.

There are sick people out there that will do very bad things. It's too bad employers can't screen out those people and not hire them; but realistically that isn't always possible unless their is something obvious like some prior criminal record. Heck, I worked for the Department of Defense for over 32 years, one day at the base that I worked at a (apparently disgruntled) employee came to work shot his supervisor and then shot himself. You just never know when a seemingly sane individual will go "over the edge" and commit some violent act.

Discussing his stated reason for his anger isn't blaming the victim, though. So many people seem to feel it is, when it's simply a discussion of what he has said. And it's a discussion of what an idiot he is, to think that that phrase means ANYTHING about his actual family.

Heck, my other mother in law has called her sons that phrase, never thinking about what it was saying about her. And hey, she's not a native English speaker, and misunderstandings about phrases and words and even the whole concept of "if/then" has caused HUGE blowups inside the family with major amounts of anger and problems.

I personally have no problem believing that someone could have misunderstood such a thing, and unfortunately it was someone who would be angry all day, try to find the person to punch them, then go as violent and ghastly as this person did.

But saying that, that he had some sort of misunderstanding, isn't blaming the victim in any way, shape, or form. It's discussing his total lack of intelligence.

I feel so sorry for this woman. I feel even sorrier if she feels better and checks out the news and finds people putting the blame on her and on the type of cruise she was having.

Imagine that - you are in your cabin, going to sleep and are viciously attacked over some slight or at least, that's what is the story now. And then you will find people blaming you. It makes me so mad :mad:

I don't find it an unreasonable expectation to go on a cruise and not be viciously attacked in your own cabin. I don't find it an unreasonable expectation to enjoy the type of cruise you booked and knowing that the crew is professional.

Again, crew can opt-out of this type of cruises if it makes them uncomfortable or is against their religion. There is no reason to work and then attack a pax.

HAL, as owner of the ships, has every right to charter them to any law-abiding self interest group, if they so choose.

Since you have posted about trouble from "crews from other countries and religions," I wonder if you would care to elaborate about your thoughts. Most on this board know that HAL service crews are Asian. Are you saying that Asian people become so incensed upon seeing Westerners nude that they cannot control themselves and commit unspeakable acts of violence and attempted murder? Would you say that this has more to do with what "other country" we are from or our "religion?"

I am thinking of the hundreds (thousands?) of HAL cruises each year and the thousands of wonderful crew members on board. One evil person has committed despicable acts on board. He might have been of any nationality or from any region or of any religion or cultural background. Bad people are bad people.

I pray for the physical and emotional healing of the victim. God bless her.

Kate

The story is all over our news stations here.

Here is the crew member info:

http://sheriff.org/apps/arrest/details.cfm?id=EA80CCCE-6FA1-4FC4-99B1-8C957AC904E8&key=1A1F25AB5FCB0F82277BCA4B89727C30&page=1&lname=PUJAYASA&fname=

Interesting that the media gets slammed for being notorious in getting things wrong ... meanwhile, many on this site go on and on with speculations!

If it were not for the newspapers/media ... this story wouldn't be out there at all.

I think, I hope that this tragic, unprecedented incident will force all cruise lines to reexamine their entire security protocols regarding stateroom access. As others have stated, there should be no reason why any employee, with a few exceptions, should have access to a room once the guest has checked in.

Agreed. The focus should be 1) on prayers that the young woman recovers and 2) looking at cruise line protocols that allow anyone and their brother --even when not on duty -- access to passenger cabins. Even aside from the personal security issue, which is absolutely horrific to contemplate -- I would think a bigger temptation might be for petty theft. We have always attempted to keep all valuables in the safe when we are not in the room, and try to remember to put them in the safe before we retire at night. But so long as the criminal isn't too blatant, they could steal a few dollars here and there every single day and probably never get caught. If there's $100 in assorted bills laying on the counter, people probably aren't going to miss $5 here or there. Big items, people would miss, yes, and blame the cabin steward. Then, I think the cruise line can tell who has accessed the cabin with a key and could catch the person, and probably also find them on video? I think there are videos of passageways? I personally was unaware that so many people can access cabins without the passenger's knowledge.

In a word: No.

Some media - such as the link you provided - will try to sensationalize the story by referring to the fact that it was a nude cruise.

By suggesting it was a factor, it appears you are blaming the victim.

This poor woman was in a fight for her life and was horribly brutalized.

To suggest that her participation in this charter cruise led to that is beyond offensive.

Quit trying to figure out or offer your opinion "why" he might have done it! No one can know this answer to that!

It does not matter that it was a nude cruise......or that he was insulted....or anything else!

He raped and attempted a murder. Period!! Nuff said!!

LIKE!

Rape is an act of violence, as was the attempt to murder the woman. It had nothing to do with the type of cruise.
LIKE!

A rapist wants to show CONTROL over his (or her) victim. How the victim is chosen is completely unknown and in many cases just random. What excuse is invented by the perp to justify his actions is irrelevant.

Prayers to the VICTIM of this animal! And thank God she did not end up overboard on the news as an unknown possible suicide off a cruise ship.

I think, I hope that this tragic, unprecedented incident will force all cruise lines to reexamine their entire security protocols regarding stateroom access. As others have stated, there should be no reason why any employee, with a few exceptions, should have access to a room once the guest has checked in.

Exactly. Some of my thoughts on how this situation may drive improvements:

1.a. Create new "room service" access cards that only work during a person's shift, or

1.b. Require employees to check the room service cards in and out from security as you need them for your shift.

2. Reprogram the room access system so that an employee must swipe in AND out of the room (with the door locked shut) when they are done with their need to be there. If no swipe "out" after a set time, sound an alarm.

3. Add some sort of an indicator to the door lock which informs the passenger that an employee is "in" the room.

Theron