Woman Attacked/Raped On Nieuw Amsterdam

ScriptOhio

It has been my understanding that not only do Room Service stewards not have cabin keys but a cabin steward is not supposed to open a door for them.

Guests are expected to open the door for Room Service and grant permission for them to enter. I cannot vouch that procedure is not sometimes breached. ;)

Based solely on what I'm reading in the newspaper story (notorious for not getting it all, all right) it sounds like the trigger that set an otherwise unstable person off.

The woman may very well been cursing for something as simple as not being able to find her robe, but he wouldn't have known that. Or, he may have "heard" something that was never said at all! We all know it's not easy to hear normal volume from the other side of a closed door.

Not an excuse, candbgirl; just an explanation.

I agree

I have been called an SOB and worse in my life (comes with the territory of being a 9-1-1 dispatcher :))

I have confronted them, asked them why they said that, cursed right back at them.

But I have never thought of raping, beating , killing them and throwing the overboard.

This guy was definitely a loose cannon. better that he is put away

Edited by babyher

Thanks for posting the article. Since the original thread seems to have been deleted I was hoping someone would post a follow up.496 and 706 are you really blaming this vicious attack on a language misunderstanding?

I blame the misunderstanding of language nuance for his anger. There is no excuse for the way he dealt with his anger. It was a barbaric attack on an innocent woman. Totally unforgivable.

It has been my understanding that not only do Room Service stewards not have cabin keys but a cabin steward is not supposed to open a door for them.

Guests are expected to open the door for Room Service and grant permission for them to enter. I cannot vouch that procedure is not sometimes breached. ;)

Except that on the room service card they tell you to dial a certain extension for them to come to pick up your tray when you're finished -- In most cases after you've already left the cabin. How else would a room service steward be able to do that if he didn't have a master key card or some way to gain access?

Wow, that's incredibly scary and completely inexcusable on the crew member's part. I hope he goes to jail for a long, long time.

Thank you for posting the article. Much better to have some actual facts rather than some of the speculation and rumors some people were posting as facts on the now-deleted thread.

Sail, I thought room service personnel come in later and pick up the trays and dirty dishes. Am I mistaken and do the stewards actually do this?

I just can't get out of my mind the number of times I will mutter "son of a bitch" when I hurt myself or something goes drastically wrong. Not directed at anyone but who would guess that it could set someone not familiar with the language off like that. It had to also have a lot to do with hatred of women as well.

Sorry to hear about the incident. I believe the steward is now a former employee of Holland America.

This was a nude cruise and I presume the woman entered her room in the natural and this did not help matters any.

There is no evidence that the woman called the man a S.O.B. I strongly suspect she was doing something other than referring to the man.

All in all a very sad incident. Thank God the woman survived the ordeal.

Except that on the room service card they tell you to dial a certain extension for them to come to pick up your tray when you're finished -- In most cases after you've already left the cabin. How else would a room service steward be able to do that if he didn't have a master key card or some way to gain access?

When you place a call on the ship, the number from cabin/telephone where you are calling shows. If you are calling to have the tray picked up, they can see you are in the cabin.

Sail, I thought room service personnel come in later and pick up the trays and dirty dishes. Am I mistaken and do the stewards actually do this?

<sniP>

I have been under the impression (most of the time ;)) Cabin Steward either removes the tray to the service station or calls for it to be picked up while (s)he is in the cabin cleaning. I have seen any number of dirty trays in the stewards work space waiting to be removed.

When you place a call on the ship, the number from cabin/telephone where you are calling shows. If you are calling to have the tray picked up, they can see you are in the cabin.

I have been under the impression (most of the time ;)) Cabin Steward either removes the tray to the service station or calls for it to be picked up while (s)he is in the cabin cleaning. I have seen any number of dirty trays in the stewards work space waiting to be removed.

Thanks. I've never really paid much attention to who does what but I think I just might this next trip.

Here is another news story out of Miami. http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Holland-America-Line-Cruise-Ship-Worker-Sexually-Assaulted-Woman-in-Room-Officials-and-FBI-Say-246047671.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_MIBrand

Reminds me to check the balcony door to be sure it's locked as well as deadbolt on the cabin door, esp with my next cruise being a solo cruise.

I keep thinking she knocked something over or hit her leg on the table that prompted the son of a b---- comment not directed at him, and even if it were I could never imagine a reaction such as this one, just unbelievable.

This is a heartbreaking story. :( Prayers and thoughts to this woman - I sincerely wish her the best in an attempt to recover physically and mentally from this attack.

I have a feeling she'll soon be owning a lot of cash from Carnoval Corp., and rightfully so.

As far as deadbolt vs. keycard - on our most recent cruise a passenger a few verandahs down from us was calling for help, as he had been locked out of the room. I found the steward and told him and gave him the room number. He called a supervisor and they went to open the door, but the deadbolt was on. They then had to call security to come and open the deadbolt lock. So that tells me that yes, someone can get in if necessary, and no, not everyone can open the lock. As to how the guy managed to lock himself out of the cabin including the deadbolted lock, that we'll never know!

I just can't get out of my mind the number of times I will mutter "son of a bitch" when I hurt myself or something goes drastically wrong. Not directed at anyone but who would guess that it could set someone not familiar with the language off like that. It had to also have a lot to do with hatred of women as well.

So true Sapper....I have done the same (sometimes a couple of really blue words have even popped out.;))...she may have stubbed her toe,hit her knee,or couldn't find her robe....

But I don't believe his story anyway. She was a victim of rapist...who was a violent criminal looking for an opportunity. His victim was more than he bargained for ..not quite as vulnerable as he thought.. good for her she probably saved her own life... I fear her recovery will take much longer than the healing of her injuries...he wanted to kill her..she not only survived a rapist but a murderer.

Who was clearly a whole lot more than a son of a bitch.

Edited by COLLEYBERRY

Here's another link to the story!

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/02/articles/rape-1/holland-america-line-crew-member-raped-passenger-tried-to-throw-her-overboard/index.html

This is by far one of the worst and saddest stories I have ever read involving a Cruise Ship passenger! :eek: Thank God, this young Woman was able to survive such a brutal attack!

So true Sapper....I have done the same (sometimes a couple of really blue words have even popped out.;))...she may have stubbed her toe,hit her knee,or couldn't find her robe....

But I don't believe his story anyway. She was a victim of rapist...who was a violent criminal looking for an opportunity. His victim was more than he bargained for ..not quite as vulnerable as he thought.. good for her she probably saved her own life... I fear her recovery will take much longer than the healing of her injuries...he wanted to kill her..she not only survived a rapist but a murderer.

Who was clearly a whole lot more than a son of a bitch.

Very well put, Colleyberry. Clearly a whole lot more.

Our Room Service guy opened our door a few weeks ago while I was on the verandah. Also, on the same cruise the laundry guy popped in while I was on our verandah. My wife noticed someone was in our cabin and he said he was delivering our dry cleaning. It was not our room steward, but someone from the laundry department who was pushing a clothes rack.

As far as deadbolt vs. keycard - on our most recent cruise a passenger a few verandahs down from us was calling for help, as he had been locked out of the room. I found the steward and told him and gave him the room number. He called a supervisor and they went to open the door, but the deadbolt was on. They then had to call security to come and open the deadbolt lock. So that tells me that yes, someone can get in if necessary, and no, not everyone can open the lock. As to how the guy managed to lock himself out of the cabin including the deadbolted lock, that we'll never know!

There are turn locks on the verandah doors and I have accidentally locked myself onto the verandah. The lock turned when I closed the door. I was fortunate DH was in our cabin when it happened but we advised our steward. It never happened again that cruise.

The lock on one of our outside doors jammed and I was unable to open that door from the inside or outside. I went out another door and tried the key in the lock and I could not open it. I had to call a locksmith who replaced the lock.

Edited by sail7seas

Here is another news story out of Miami. http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Holland-America-Line-Cruise-Ship-Worker-Sexually-Assaulted-Woman-in-Room-Officials-and-FBI-Say-246047671.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_MIBrand

Reminds me to check the balcony door to be sure it's locked as well as deadbolt on the cabin door, esp with my next cruise being a solo cruise.

I keep thinking she knocked something over or hit her leg on the table that prompted the son of a b---- comment not directed at him, and even if it were I could never imagine a reaction such as this one, just unbelievable.

A number of responders to this thread have voiced similar opinions as what I have highlighted in red. Am I the only one thinking that the perpetrator concocted the "son of a b****" story as a feeble attempt to "justify" his attack? I just don't buy that a crew member (even if he was truly offended by the profanity) would go to such lengths in retaliation. I think it is more likely that he found a young 31-yr-old passenger (who seemed single or may have been booked in the cabin alone) and planned to rape her. It is likely that he has raped/attacked women before (maybe not on a cruise ship, but at home in Indonesia) and gotten away with it. This time, he got caught thankfully. I admit, this is speculation on my part, but I just don't believe his story.

Our Room Service guy opened our door a few weeks ago while I was on the verandah. Also, on the same cruise the laundry guy popped in while I was on our verandah. My wife noticed someone was in our cabin and he said he was delivering our dry cleaning. It was not our room steward, but someone from the laundry department who was pushing a clothes rack.

Yes..... the fellow who delivers the laundry opens the door and enters to deliver it. He likely knocked but you did not hear him seeing you were out on your verandah. I forget which but I am sure at least one of the ships has door bells outside Suite cabins and it sounds on the verandah. I wish all the ships had a door bell. :)

A number of responders to this thread have voiced similar opinions as what I have highlighted in red. Am I the only one thinking that the perpetrator concocted the "son of a b****" story as a feeble attempt to "justify" his attack? I just don't buy that a crew member (even if he was truly offended by the profanity) would go to such lengths in retaliation. I think it is more likely that he found a young 31-yr-old passenger (who seemed single or may have been booked in the cabin alone) and planned to rape her. .

I am also suspicious of the alleged reasons for the attack and wonder whether the passenger was targeted.