Florence, Rome and Naples - Family of 5

gkrnjlr

I am just starting my research on ports for this cruise. We're not going until June 2015 so I have plenty of time to do homework/research.

My initial question is - are any of these ports ones that we can do on our own? OR how would you suggest doing these ports as a family of 5?

Thanks!

What are your ages? What are your interests? Are you interested in walking distances? What about using public transportation like trains, subways? Give some background on what your expectations are and that will help us offer you guidance. Yes, all 3 of these ports can be done on your own. Many people do it. But it may not be for everyone.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

What are your ages? What are your interests? Are you interested in walking distances? What about using public transportation like trains, subways? Give some background on what your expectations are and that will help us offer you guidance. Yes, all 3 of these ports can be done on your own. Many people do it. But it may not be for everyone.

I've never been to Europe - so that in the "big picture" will all be new to me.

Ages: Husband and I are young 40's, kids are 11, 10 and 7.

Interests: History, architecture, photography, and general sightseeing (the tourist attractions, for the most part).

Thank you for your help! I feel like I've got so much research that I don't know where to start!

Thanks again!

My advice is to not over plan. Pick one or two things per port. Less stress. For example you can't do all the sites of Rome in one day. As for Naples I'd recommend taking the hydrofoil to Sorrento and do Capri, Amalfi or Pompei. I've not been to Florence yet. Get Rick Steve's mediterranean ports book. Super for planning.

I am just starting my research on ports for this cruise. We're not going until June 2015 so I have plenty of time to do homework/research.

My initial question is - are any of these ports ones that we can do on our own? OR how would you suggest doing these ports as a family of 5?

Thanks!

Train from Naples to Pompei

Naples is an ideal base for an excursion to Pompei. The best way to do that is by the special Circumvesuviana train. It runs every 30 minutes between Naples and Sorrento and makes several stops, inculding at Herculaneum and Pompei.

The journey from Naples to Pompei takes 40 minutes. A ticket costs € 2.10 per person (valid for 100 minutes after validation). The station at Pompei, has the sounding name 'Pompei S. Villa Misteri'. From Pompei, you may also take a bus to Mount Vesuvius. Check the Circumvesuviana timetable before you leave.

How do I get to the Circumvesuviana station from the cruise port in Napels

In Naples to catch the Circumvesuviana train - http://www.eavcampania.it/web/ . At the station on Pizazza Garibaldi (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) . The best way to get there is by tram N° 1, bus N° 151 or by taxi.

Tram N° 1 has a stop at Via C.Colombo, opposite the cruise terminal. The tram makes a stop both at Corso Garibaldi and Piazza Garibaldi. It runs frequently. The ride takes only a few minutes and costs € 1,20 per person (one way).

Also at the Via C.Colombo you can take bus N° 151. A ticket costs € 1.20 per person (one way). The bus stops both at Corso Garibaldi and the train station at Piazza Garibaldi.

A taxi from the port to the train station costs about € 15 per taxi (4 persons one way).

If you take the Circumvesuviana train from the train station on Pizazza Garibaldi, keep in mind that the Circumvesuviana station is located underground. It is well indicated.

Public bus from Naples to Pompei

Just a few minutes walk from the cruise terminal, is a SITA bus station. It's located at Nuova Marina. The bus company offers trips including to Pompeii, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. You can buy a ticket in the same office as from the ferries.

There are 1-2 buses per hour. A ticket costs € 2.80 per person (one way) and the trip takes about 35 minutes. It's always good to consult the timetable and tariffs in advance.

Public bus from Naples to the volcano Vesuvius

The EAV-bus makes a stop at Molo Beverello near the cruise terminal. In the morning there are 2 buses to Capolinea Vesuvia Q.1000, the parking lot near the crater of Vesuvius. There is a bus to Vesuvius at 9h10 and 10h25. Buses drive back at 12h30 and 14h00. The journey takes about 1 hour 20 minutes and costs € 7.30 per person (return).

TIP: From the parking lot it's about 30 minutes on foot to the crater. Wear solid shoes.

From Pompei is a similar service. However, there are six EAV buses in the morning which also make a stop at the Circumvesuviana station of Pompei (opposite the archaeological site). The journey takes just under one hour and costs € 10 per person (return). You can check the timetable here.

There is a third option. Busvia del Vesuvio offers a free shuttle bus from Pompei (Circumvesuviana Station) to the entrance of the Vesuvius National Park. There you have to buy a ticket for € 20 per person (return). From there you continu with a safari truck to the crater at the summit of the volcano. The journey is spectacular.

Boat from Naples to the island of Capri

At Molo Beverello in the cruise port of Naples you can get a ferry to the island of Capri. Better choose for the faster Hydrofoils. A crossing from Naples to Capri takes between 45 and 70 minutes and costs aroun € 12 - € 20 per person (one way). There is about 1 ferry per hour. Don't forget to consult the timetable before you go.

Train from Livorno to Florence

A fast, efficient and inexpensive way to visit Florence from Livorno is by train. The drive from Livorno Centrale to Florence Santa Maria Novella lasts 1h20 minutes and costs € 8.20 per person (one way). There run 1-2 trains per hour. From the train station Santa Maria Novella in Florence, you can walk to the city center. It's good to check the train timetable in advance.

Florence and Pisa are located along the same train line. First visit the more remote Florence and get off in Pisa Centrale on your way back. Keep in mind that this will be a very tight schedule.

Livorno Centrale train station is too far from the harbor to get there on foot. You can take a taxi for approximately € 20 per taxi (4 persons one way) or you opt for the combination shuttle bus and public transport. The latter is the most popular option and it's very simple. Here are the steps to take.

Take the shuttle bus from your cruise ship to the stop at the back of Piazza Grande.

At Piazza Grande, take bus N° 1 to the Centrale station. The bus runs every 7-10 minutes and costs € 1,20 per person (one way). Make sure that you don't take the bus on the side of Mc. Donalds, because it goes in the opposite direction. Take the bus at Piazza Grande C. bus stop at the center of the square. The journey takes 10 minutes.

Buy your bus ticket in advance at the Tourist Office, at ticket machines or at a Tabacchi kiosk . On the bus you usually pay € 1 more.

Take the train to Florence

How do I get to the Circumvesuviana station from the cruise port in Napels

In Naples to catch the Circumvesuviana train - http://www.eavcampania.it/web/ . At the station on Pizazza Garibaldi (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) . The best way to get there is by tram N° 1, bus N° 151 or by taxi.

While you could do this, it's a step too far.

The start of the Circumvesuviana line, Porta Nolana, is closer to the cruise port. If you are to have any chance at all of getting a seat on this train you must get on at Porta Nolana, not Garibaldi.

All of this information is SO helpful, thank you - and keep it coming! Even information that seems to be the obvious (?) and of little information is still a big help! THANK YOU!

One thing I am concerned about is that if we don't do a ship excursion and we opt for public transportation I worry that we wouldn't make it back to the port on time (not due to our lack of timeliness, but something unforeseen with transportation). Is that likely? Or am I just being over-cautious?

While you could do this, it's a step too far.

The start of the Circumvesuviana line, Porta Nolana, is closer to the cruise port. If you are to have any chance at all of getting a seat on this train you must get on at Porta Nolana, not Garibaldi.

I agree that Porta Nolana on Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi is near the cruise port from the railway station in Piazza Garibaldi (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) Both stations are just a few hundred meters away- https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Corso+Giuseppe+Garibaldi&daddr=Piazza+di+Garibaldi&hl=hr&ll=40.850802,14.270843&spn=0.004155,0.009291&sll=40.850948,14.270618&sspn=0.004155,0.009291&geocode=FfJObwIdPrnZAA%3BFZZZbwIdlsXZAA&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=17&t=m&z=17 I went from Piazza Garibaldi because it was easier to find . l later continued by train to Rome

Edited by mbeginner

If going on your own, you need to allow lots of time to get back to your ship.

In Italy public transportation trips are pre-announced so you should not be caught by a strike. The trains are very reliable.

Get Rick Steves books (though I disagree with his Rome advice) and also check out http://www.tomsportguides.com/

I also agree to not over plan. Part of the experience should just be strolling around, stopping for gelato, etc. Engage your kids in noticing things that are different than home and wondering why that would be so.

For sure Pompeii will interest your children. They perhaps can see the new movie coming out and see all the factual errors in it.

You can certainly do all these ports yourself and there are hundreds of posts on Cruise Critic showing you how to do this.

Since your kids are younger and there are 5 of you, I would suggest RomeinLimo. There are all kinds of posts about this service. Check Tripadvisor, too. We have used them five times and they are truly wonderful. Rome and Florence are far from the port, so you will have to travel a good distance. You will have your own driver and mini-van.

My kids are older than yours, but we were able to tell our driver when we were tired. We did not want a sit down lunch in Rome, so we told our wonderful driver that we just wanted a panini. He took us to a old panini place and showed us where to sit outside in a beautiful piazza. Later in the afternoon, we told him we needed a gelato break. He took us to a small, uncrowded shop where we could taste many different types of gelato.

Using Rome in Limo, we were able to go exactly where we wanted to go and spend as much time as possible. Their vehicles are able to go within the city limits, so they take you door-to-door. This saves a lot of time. This will be a lot less pressure on the kids. The money will be well spent.

Other thoughts for kids:

Rome - Colosseum, forum, Pantheon. St. Peters is beautiful, but I think it would be tough with kids to do ancient Rome and the Vatican museum in one day. Your driver could just take you to St. Peter's square to see the outside.

Florence - The Accademia where the David is housed is a very small museum. It is the perfect size for kids. The David is impressive. The kids will like it. If you take RIL, they can make a quick stop in Pisa before going to Florence.

Naples - Pompeii is the obvious choice. I like Herculaneum because it is so small and intimate. The ship docks right in Naples, so you can easily walk around, see the sights, and get pizza.

I see that you are sailing the Epic. We took the Epic twice to Europe. It is a great ship for the kids.

Edited by NCruiser2012

Alot depends on how much money you are willing to spend. Personally, I've tried to 'do it on my own' just me and my mom and it was exhausting trying to navigate big cities. I couldn't imagine doing it with younger children. Having done both, my advice would be to book a private excursion in those cities. It's cheaper to do a private tour than pay for each person on the ship's excursion. You can discuss which places you would like to visit with the tour operator ahead of time, and you can change plans if the kids get antsy or bored. Many of these tour guides are wonderful at helping you craft an itinerary that fits your needs.

Just my 2 cents.

All of this information is SO helpful, thank you - and keep it coming! Even information that seems to be the obvious (?) and of little information is still a big help! THANK YOU!

One thing I am concerned about is that if we don't do a ship excursion and we opt for public transportation I worry that we wouldn't make it back to the port on time (not due to our lack of timeliness, but something unforeseen with transportation). Is that likely? Or am I just being over-cautious?

For Naples if you are worried about missing the ship. Do Pompei first thing in the morning. Then take head back to the terminal area. You dock right right in the center of the city and there is a lot to see and do within a few blocks of the terminal.

Rome is a different story. The Terminal is in a town "Port of Civitavecchia" This is a very large industrial port, the port authority will operate a shuttle but form the entrance to the port and the ship. Take the shuttle, if you are heading to Rome, you need to walk over to the train station and take a train from Civitavecchia to Rome. (If you goggle for virtually any european rail company and you type in Civitavechia to Rome it will give you the schedule. Don't take the last train, I would again do the same thing explore Rome first thing in the morning, take the train back and spend the late evening exploring Civitavecchia before getting back on the ship.

If you want to do some ports on your own and use a tour for others I would do Naples on my own and given the distances and potentially do that as an organized excursion. Personally I usually try to use Rome as the start/end point for a cruise since a day does not do the city justice.

Edited by em-sk

I suggest that you join your roll call, if you've not done so yet-

June 7 2015: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1994602

This is the only June 2015 roll call thus far for the Epic.

By adding 2 or 3 more people to your private tour, the per person cost will drop. Rest assured that all private tour companies are vested in returning you to the ship on time. Investigate other companies in addition to RomeInLimo- we used APTours for Pompeii/Sorrento and were very pleased.

Keep in mind that old adage that "Less is More" and focus on two or three must-sees rather than trying to cram everything in on your 1st visit. Sights like the Colosseum & St. Peter's have small group tours that take you to sights not available to the average tourist.

Happy Planning!

Our first time to these ports, we used RCI shore excursions. It is worth the extra few dollars...peace of mind. Florence is 1.5 hours away from the port. There were people on our ship that got left behind because their private excursion's bus broke down. Why worry and stress out while you are on vacation?? Enjoy!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It's very easy to get to Florence and back from Livorno by train on your own, and with proper planning (such as not taking the very last train back) you can make it back with plenty of time to spare, lots of us do this every season.

However, if you're going to worry about it the entire day, perhaps DIY isn't you for. Knowing yourself is the first and most important step.

• 4 weeks later...

We went on a Med cruise when our kids were 14, 12 and 9.

Rome (pre-cruise): (On our own) We visited the Colosseum (kids loved it), Roman Forums, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and the Four Rivers Fountain on the first day. The second morning we visited Vatican. The line to the Vatican Museum was extremely long, so we didn't enter. Instead we climbed the St. Peter's cupola (kids enjoyed it).

Livorno: (On our own) We took a train ride to Pisa, walked to see the Leaning Tower and Duomo. (Kids liked the Leaning Tower.) (We visited Florence later during post-cruise.)

Naples: (On our own) We took a train ride to Pompeii to see the ruins. Kids were very impressed, but they also complained that it's too hot.

Last October we had a couple of days docked at Naples. Having been to the 2 great archaeological sites on a previous cruise, this time we took a tour of the Amalfi Coast, calling in at Positano

Amalfi
and Ravello
Any of the major private tour companies will ensure you have a great day and are back on time.

On the second day we went to Capri

which must be the easiest thing to do from Naples as the hydrofoil departs from a point about 200 yards from your ship. Good luck in finding something for everyone. For first-timers I would think Pomp & Herc is a good option and there's plenty to see and the story of the eruption is a legendary tale.

My family of 5 will be in those ports in June. I had the kids pick what interests them most in each place, so we are doing Pompeii in Naples, the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Florence, and the Pantheon/Trevi Fountain in Rome. My kids are a bit older than yours (16, 14, and 10) but I still don't want to overdo it and wear everyone out. I always book ship excursions for peace of mind, quick private walk off the ship, and having the tickets in our cabins when we board. They really don't cost that much more, I have priced them out against several private companies. The convenience and peace of mind are worth the extra money for me. Also FYI Rome is an hour and a half away from the port each direction (without traffic), something to keep in mind unless you are looking at taking a train or something.

My family of 5 will be in those ports in June. I had the kids pick what interests them most in each place, so we are doing Pompeii in Naples, the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Florence, and the Pantheon/Trevi Fountain in Rome. My kids are a bit older than yours (16, 14, and 10) but I still don't want to overdo it and wear everyone out. I always book ship excursions for peace of mind, quick private walk off the ship, and having the tickets in our cabins when we board. They really don't cost that much more, I have priced them out against several private companies. The convenience and peace of mind are worth the extra money for me. Also FYI Rome is an hour and a half away from the port each direction (without traffic), something to keep in mind unless you are looking at taking a train or something.

My kids were about the same ages as yours when we took our Med cruise. We basically picked the same attractions :) However, I'd like to let you know that Pantheon/Trevi Fountain together will probably take you no more than 1.5 hrs. You may want to add additional places in Rome. Colosseum was a big hit for my kids.

Hi kestrel, thanks that's good to know. It will actually be part of a shore excursion and it also goes to St. Peter's Square/Basilica and free time for lunch at Piazza Navona. Gotta try that famous gelato!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

My family of 5 did it on all our own with the help of this forum. Here are my notes from last summer.

Here is our itinerary for Florence:

Florence/Pisa, Italy 8am - 7pm:

25 euro taxi to train station from port

9 euro train to Pisa then to Florence

<10 euro taxi from train to tower (or 15 min walk)

18 euro pp to climb tower

9 euro back

<10 euro taxi from tower to train (or 15 min walk)

Tickets for Pisa: http://boxoffice.opapisa.it/Turisti/ Tickets can be purchased online between a maximum of 20 days and a minimum of 12 days prior to the date of the visit,

Tickets for David: http://www.uffizi.firenze.it/en/musei/index.php?m=accademia

To use the train, here's my advice:

Best case, if you get off the ship shortly after 8 AM and take a taxi to the train station, would be the 8:29 train that arrives at Pisa Centrale at 8:50. From there is a five minute cab ride (< 10€) or a 20 - 30 minute walk to the Piazza dei Miracoli. Visits to the tower start at 8:30 AM, so you certainly won't be among the first wave of the day.

Worse case is probably the 9:06 train that arrives at Pisa Centrale at 9:25

Take a taxi from your ship to the train station (Piazza Dante). (25 euro for six) Avoid the shuttle that will be crowded and slow and still leave you more than a mile from the train station. The crowd and surge for the return shuttle was a sad commentary on how people in crowds behave.

These are regional trains; the current fare is Euro 2,50 and the trip takes 15 - 20 minutes to Pisa Centrale. In the morning there are at least three trains per hour;

At Pisa Centrale you can get a taxi to the Piazza dei Miracoli (location of the tower, Duomo, baptistry, museum, etc.), a public bus, or you can walk. It's an easy and pleasant one mile walk, nearly a straight line.

One other point: if you are only making a short stop in Pisa, you don't need a separate ticket. The regional tickets are good for four hours from the time you stamp them, so you can get off the train in Pisa and get back on for Florence as long as you complete the journey to Florence within four hours from the time you started in Livorno.

From Pisa to Florence train goes every 15-20 min. You can see time schedule at

http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

The Florence stop is "Firenze S.M. Novella".

then search the option where you want to travel (date and time). You can see there the time of arrive and departure as well as price (5,80 € to 8,70 €). Bad thing is that is not fast train category, just "regionale".

the train station in Livorno that you want is "Livorno Centrale"

Trains run every hour from Florence to Livorno on Sundays. A 7 PM sail-away means 6:30 on board. You need to allow a half hour to get from the train station to the ship (in case cabs are not there waiting when you arrive - you may need to wait for one or call one), so you'd want to be at the Livorno train station no later than 6 PM. I always advise people to take the next to the last train that will get them there on time; in this case, that would be 3:28 which arrives in Livorno at 4:48. There is a 4:28 that arrives at 5:50 that would be your fallback option.

Maybe

9:06 – 10:45 Livorno to Firenze Novella

11:15 Accademia

13:38 – 14:59 Firenze Novella to Pisa

+Take a cab to Piazza dei Marcoli

15:15 Tickets to climb Pisa

+ Take a cab back

16:32-16:47 Pisa Centrale – Livorno Centrale

5:15 - 5:30 - Arrival at Livorno port