Removing Gratuities ?

JLawes

Hi, when we were on our last cruise we pre paid our gratuities.

We got friendly with a couple and they said that they had been to the purser desk and asked for their gratuities to be removed.

I would not dream of doing this myself but I was just thinking how does this work?

They also said that they just turn up to the MDR at what ever time they wanted, I thought you had to pay up front gratuities to dine at your own time.

We have also pre paid for our next cruise but this just sticks in my mind as to how some people do different things on cruises.

Feel like I have a tons of more stuff to learn on here but this is just something that just keeps niggling away in my mind.

Many thanks

Jackie

Jackie, please don't believe those that remove automatic gratuities!

For most of the staff this is the only way they get paid. They get room/board and a stipend, but the rest comes from their tips. Some people think that they can remove the gratuities, then pay in cash the last night......thinking that the person they give the money to can keep the entire amount. This is NOT true. When you remove gratuities, there is a list that your name goes on and any monies you give to someone MUST go into a pot which is shared as if you had left them as pre-paid.

Gratuities are required if you do Select/anytime dining as you more than likely don't get the same waiter every day, so the money is pooled and everyone shares the tips....thus evening it out.

Any discussion concerning tipping gets into muddy waters. We do auto-pay then tip on top of that to those that enhance our cruise. Tipping above and beyond is a personal thing. You don't HAVE to do it. Tip if you feel inclined, but at least leave the auto-pay in place.

Edited by CaroleSS

We got friendly with a couple and they said that they had been to the purser desk and asked for their gratuities to be removed.

I would not dream of doing this myself but I was just thinking how does this work?

They also said that they just turn up to the MDR at what ever time they wanted, I thought you had to pay up front gratuities to dine at your own time.

We have also pre paid for our next cruise but this just sticks in my mind as to how some people do different things on cruises.

Feel like I have a tons of more stuff to learn on here but this is just something that just keeps niggling away in my mind.

Many thanks

Jackie

Did this couple say how they handle tips or do they just stiff everyone.

Jackie, please don't remove your gratuities!

First, why would anyone do that? For most of the staff this is the only way they get paid. They get room/board and a stipend, but the rest comes from their tips.

Some people think that they can remove the gratuities, then pay in cash the last night......thinking that the person they give the money to can keep the entire amount. This is NOT true. When you remove gratuities, there is a list that your name goes on and any monies you give to someone MUST go into a pot which is shared as if you had left them as pre-paid.

Gratuities are required if you do Select/anytime dining as you more than likely don't get the same waiter every day, so the money is pooled and everyone shares the tips....thus evening it out.

Any discussion concerning tipping gets into muddy waters. We do auto-pay then tip on top of that to those that enhance our cruise. Tipping above and beyond is a personal thing. You don't HAVE to do it. Tip if you feel inclined, but at least leave the auto-pay in place.

I agree with not removing tips but your comment about the money going into a pool is not necessarily correct. It depends on the cruise line.

Please don't remove your gratuties.

If you have a complaint about the service, speak up, talk to a supervisor, try to get it corrected. Isn't the goal to have the best cruise possible? If you find your service is lacking, removing your tips does not make it better. Trying to have the deficiency corrected makes it better.

Please don't remove your gratuties.

If you have a complaint about the service, speak up, talk to a supervisor, try to get it corrected. Isn't the goal to have the best cruise possible? If you find your service is lacking, removing your tips does not make it better. Trying to have the deficiency corrected makes it better.

I don't think the OP would do such a thing (stated as much), just asking why people do it. She is new to cruising and is just trying to understand.

I suppose it's a matter of perception.

I don't see any reason for confusion.

People remove tips for obvious reasons, IMO

I don't have any opinion as to what any poster here would or would not do. I do not personally know very many CC posters.

Edited by sail7seas

The so-called "tipping" discussion always is interesting. In many cases the question will be raised by a Brit or Aussie because their cultures are not major supporters of the entire "tipping" scheme. One might ask is an "auto tip" a true gratuity or merely a cruise line's way of sneaking in a general price increase to their advertised cruise prices. Keep in mind that "auto tips" are never included in the pricing marketed by the cruise lines (with the exception of the ultra luxury lines).

The solution is quite simple. There should be no tipping allowed on ships and the price of the cruise should be adequate to generate sufficient revenue to compensate the crew. Otherwise, we will continue to see a debate about "tips" and there are going to be some cruisers who simply refuse to tip anything!

I will admit, that as an American used to tipping, it was refreshing when we traveled in Australia. We would go to a restaurant and at the end of a meal we would get our bill which would be expressed in Aussie Dollars. If the bill was $50 we paid exactly $50. There was no tip, no service charge, no sales tax (their VAT is included in the total) etc. The situation in the USA has gotten out of hand where good restaurants are now "demanding" 20% tips...and when you are in a jurisdiction with high sales tax you might find yourself paying nearly 33% between taxes and tips. It is nutz!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank, as usual, you are 1000% correct. I would be MORE than willing to have the tips included in the cruise fare and just be done with it! Do we tip Flight attendants?

Unfortunately in the US, tipping is part and parcel to the service industry.....it is almost expected that people will make up for the lack of a decent wage. SMH

Hank, as usual, you are 1000% correct. I would be MORE than willing to have the tips included in the cruise fare and just be done with it! Do we tip Flight attendants?

Unfortunately in the US, tipping is part and parcel to the service industry.....it is almost expected that people will make up for the lack of a decent wage. SMH

While I agree that here in the US, it would be better and simpler to do away with tipping and pay people a decent wage, I also notice that in the UK (haven't been to Australia, darn it!) most meals also cost more--I'd say about 20% more. In other words, about the amount of a tip in the US.

Customers will make up the difference when tips are not given, just not in the overt way that occurs when tips have to be added by customer.

On cruises we just leave the autotip on and tip extra if we get extra good service. It would be nice if it would be included in the price we see when buying, but unless the entire industry goes that way, it's not going to happen. Otherwise the cruises that included it would, obviously, look like they cost more to start with, and that base price is what cruisers look at.

Hi CaroleSS and dkjretired, I would not dream of removing my automatic gratUities, also we did tip extra at the end of my cruise in cash to a few staff that we felt in our opinion deserved it.

The couple we talked with dkjetired said they won't let RCL tell them who they have to tip and that they would tip themselves at the end of the cruise who they thought deserved it.

I never said I had a complaint SAIL7SEAS, In any event if I did I would speak up for myself to resolve the matter!

Yes we are new to cruising ( don't know why we didn't do it earlier ) and yes I do get confused about cruising, let's face it there's a whole lot of information on these boards, but if you do not have an opinion of what I would do or not do id prefer it if you kept your opinions to yourself!

Take care

Jackie

Jackie......

I read in your original post that you would not think of doing so yourself, but I may have come across as accusatory in trying to explain how tips work. If I came across as insinuating that you would do the same....I do humbly apologize! (I will admit that after my original posting, I re-read it and made modifications as I thought I came across too harshly. mia culpa)

I think that some people tend to 'scan' posts and not read them in their entirely. That or they read the first post and reply without reading subsequent (clarification) posts. Cruise Critic is a wonderful place to learn new things. A few bad apples just teach <me> to say "move along....these are not the <postings> you are looking for"!!

You also have the option of adjusting the gratuity anytime during your cruise. Either up, or down. But the better option is to deal with any problems when they happen. If you need more towels, or the little towel animals an not up to par one day - say something to the steward. If you've had a bad weather day and you're feeling cranky and the waiter didn't refill you drink, or clear your plate within 15 seconds, say something at that time. Don't remove the gratuities, and essentially cut their pay, give them a chance to make things right. Every time there is some problem on a cruise ship, you hear about how great the lower ranking crew was. They work longer hours than most of the guests on the ship ever have. Remember that the next time you want to complain about something that really doesn't matter that much.

Edited by Maryland Dave

Many thanks

Jackie

Restating this just for clarification...............

The OP's 'friends', say that they will tip 'if someone deserves it'.

In my opinion, LOTS of people deserve a tip that we never see -- they work so quietly and without fanfare. Clearing tables at the buffet, mopping up spilled drinks poolside, assistant room stewards that run up and down for towels, extra blankets, etc.

It is a shame that their actual wage is so low that tips are so crucial.

Part of the tipping discussion has to include cultural differences. As Hank pointed out earlier, in Australia, he paid the bill and the tips were included. If I were to come from an area (Europe - or England as the OP is from) and I was used to having tips included in the fare/price, I would wonder why I had to add tips.

Maybe the 'friends' thought they were tipping above and beyond with the auto-gratuities. Maybe it was just an honest mistake.....maybe they were being chincy....but we don't know that, but we DO know that the OP tips, so let's not berate her....she is just trying to learn.

Hi , CAROLESS honestly you came across as trying to help me. I never took it any other way.

I think the couple we met told RCI to take there tips off, and at the end of the cruise they tipped themselves in cash to who they wanted too.

I now remember them saying it does work out cheaper and that's the reason why they did it their way.

Thanks for all your help and advice and I'm sure I will have lots more questions to ask.

Many thanks

Jackie

Edited by JLawes

As someone who waited a lot of tables during college and law school, I shudder to think what would have happened if everyone KNEW they were getting paid XXX whether they did the work or not.

There were days when we were simply overwhelmed with customers and the bus boys were working as fast as they could to clear tables. IF me, as part of the wait staff, didn't pitch in to help clear tables because I got the same money as someone who did help, why do the extra work??? Turning those tables resulted in MORE MONEY for ME through tips. It was an INCENTIVE.

As someone posted, Europe meals are about 20% more than US meals. That equals the USA tips.

It doesn't take long to figure out that paying everyone the same for the same work results in less productivity and sloppier service (a look at the old Soviet Union is a good example). And adding on the cost of tips to cruise prices may result in a lot less service. There would be less incentive to do a super special job, not just a "get by" job needed to keep your contract intact. JMHO

People should not remove their gratuities.

Often times you will hear that people do this so they can specifically tip only certain individuals. However, what most people don't know is that the crew members in those situations are required to turn in any cash tips, which become part of the general tip pool.

Now, on the other hand, if you leave your auto service charge in effect, any "extra" tips you may give your steward or waiter or bartender can be kept by the person you are tipping.

Bottom line, don't remove tips. It penalizes the entire crew. If you have an individual service issue, bring it up right away on the ship with a member of the hotel staff. They want to make you happy and keep you satisfied.

It's not a tip, it's a service charge. Unfortunately the cruise lines don't emphasize this much up front.

Actually, HAL calls the daily sum automatically added to our on board accounts "Hotel Service Charge".

As to opinions, I went out of my way to say I had no opinion about individual people as to what they do or do not do. I never expressed an opinion about any specific individual.

This is what I wrote:

I suppose it's a matter of perception.

I don't see any reason for confusion.

People remove tips for obvious reasons, IMO

I don't have any opinion as to what any poster here would or would not do. I do not personally know very many CC posters.

No reason for anyone to take any of it personally. Every word of it is generalized and not spoken to or about any one person.

Most tipping threads are largely about opinions. There are few facts; there are many opinions.

Edited by sail7seas

As someone who waited a lot of tables during college and law school, I shudder to think what would have happened if everyone KNEW they were getting paid XXX whether they did the work or not.

There were days when we were simply overwhelmed with customers and the bus boys were working as fast as they could to clear tables. IF me, as part of the wait staff, didn't pitch in to help clear tables because I got the same money as someone who did help, why do the extra work??? Turning those tables resulted in MORE MONEY for ME through tips. It was an INCENTIVE.

As someone posted, Europe meals are about 20% more than US meals. That equals the USA tips.

It doesn't take long to figure out that paying everyone the same for the same work results in less productivity and sloppier service (a look at the old Soviet Union is a good example). And adding on the cost of tips to cruise prices may result in a lot less service. There would be less incentive to do a super special job, not just a "get by" job needed to keep your contract intact. JMHO

I'm glad to see that someone else believes in the concept of incentive pay. It helps to encourage greater productivity in manufacturing and better service in service industries. I would never remove the auto-tip, rather speak up immediately if there is a problem, and give additional tip at the end for good service - which I happen to regularly receive from dining room and cabin stewards.

I have difficulty understanding the attitude of those who claim that they would prefer to pay a higher fare and have the staff receive what they call a "decent wage". I imagine that very many of them go on to discuss, and justify, their efforts to cut their cruise costs by sneaking liquor on board. It strikes me as arrogant to want to tell cruise lines, and their employees, what the terms of employment should be, and then go on to disregard the terms of their passage.