COUNTDOWN to REGAL PRINCESS: News, updates, and general information!!!

dmwnc1959

Well, it looks better than I feared; not as good as I'd hoped. But, it's certainly better than the no-pool on the Royal. At least it could be a nice and fun place to cool off while catchin' some rays on that sun deck, which was completely unused when we were on the Royal.

I agree.

Additional information stated the Promenade deck is fully accessible on each side to allow for long strolls to enjoy the sea breezes, the water shows (Watercolor Fantasy) are in color and will have 4 different shows, MUTS is bigger, the Retreat pool area has been “enhanced” and the shows in the Princess Theatre will be “Fiera!,” “Bravo,” “Spectacular, and “Sweet Soul Music.”

Edited by IECalCruiser

Well, it looks better than I feared; not as good as I'd hoped. But, it's certainly better than the no-pool on the Royal. At least it could be a nice and fun place to cool off while catchin' some rays on that sun deck, which was completely unused when we were on the Royal.

The sun deck is a lot smaller now. Get there early.:D

Don't scratch your head too much :eek: If you look at the rendering/photo and the deck plan, there are two ladders to access the pool area at around 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and one ladder to access the deeper section of the pool at 12 o'clock.

The deeper section of the pool at 12 o'clock! Hmmmm, is that the tiny circle thingy in see in the deck plan? On the post card that looks so small that it looks like a filter cleanout access! :D I sure didn't see that as a ladder to the "deep end" of a pool. Oh well, until someone actually gets onboard that puppy, goes to the "pool" area and takes a picture or 2 or 3, I guess we really will be left with supposition! <sigh>

Me! Being from Florida and much sun, and light-skinned ... well, I really do not plan on visiting that foot bath or any other pool!

One additional point, that the official Godmother to the ship is not the Madrina for the floatout ceremony, but the person that NAMES the ship and christens the hull at the official Naming Ceremony. That's the name that goes into the record books.

:D

I must say that I was unaware that there were two ceremonies! The video I saw on the internet with Carolyn Spencer-Brown smashing the bottles of champagne on the side and the priest blessing the ship looked the same as when Kate named the ship in Southampton last year. If she isn't the 'godmother' I wonder why they haven't named her yet.

We wait still!

I must say that I was unaware that there were two ceremonies! The video I saw on the internet with Carolyn Spencer-Brown smashing the bottles of champagne on the side and the priest blessing the ship looked the same as when Kate named the ship in Southampton last year. If she isn't the 'godmother' I wonder why they haven't named her yet.

We wait still!

And for those who haven't seen that ceremony...

Slightly more dipping space then we thought. :eek:

Larry,

You're right. The pool looks tiny. Just large enough to dunk in and cool off. But it also looks like there's a very shallow wet area around it where you could sit in a couple inches of water and read, etc.

My concern when looking at the picture is that there seems to be only one entrance/exit ladder into the pool area and again one ladder into/out of the pool itself.

Still no shade, though! :(

Regal+Princess+Terrace+Pool.jpg

Much bigger and nicer than I thought, but still only really usable for a quick cool-off while sunning. As I see it from the photo/rendering, there is one ladder into the "deep" part of the pool at the 12 o'clock position on the forward side. Just forward of that ladder is what appears to be a glass enclosed shower (the cylinder shaped object similar to the showere near the Lotus Pool hot tubs on Grand Class ships). I think the entrance to the elevated pool deck is just forward of the shower at the 12 o'clock position with ramps going to the pool deck "ending" at the 2:30 and 9:30 positions.

I'll know for sure when I board her on 5/20!

Much bigger and nicer than I thought, but still only really usable for a quick cool-off while sunning. As I see it from the photo/rendering, there is one ladder into the "deep" part of the pool at the 12 o'clock position on the forward side. Just forward of that ladder is what appears to be a glass enclosed shower (the cylinder shaped object similar to the showere near the Lotus Pool hot tubs on Grand Class ships). I think the entrance to the elevated pool deck is just forward of the shower at the 12 o'clock position with ramps going to the pool deck "ending" at the 2:30 and 9:30 positions.

I'll know for sure when I board her on 5/20!

Paul,

Any chance you'll be able to post your reactions on here? :D

It's a port intensive cruise, but I will post some photos and impressions while onboard. I'll try to limit myself to differences from Royal, but since I haven't been on this class of ship yet, some of my observations might actually apply to both...

The rear pool itself (white circle in the middle) looks to be no larger than a hot tub.

It is certainly smaller than the rear pools on the Grand class ships. While not giant, in those pools you could actually swim from side to side.

This new pool, at least until someone experiences it in person, does not appear to be a place to do any swimming.

Maybe weight restrictions prevented having the Royal's pool encompass the entire area it takes up, not just the circle in the middle.

Edited by caribill

Additional information stated the Promenade deck is fully accessible on each side to allow for long strolls to enjoy the sea breezes

I had read on CC that the Promenade deck on the Regal was not going to be opened up any further and that it would be similar to the Royal's. You mentioned "additional information". Has this changed?

Maybe weight restrictions prevented having the Royal's pool encompass the entire area it takes up, not just the circle in the middle.

I would imagine that's true, especially since there is no substantial structure immediately beneath the new aft pool. Looks to be only an open-air seating area...

I had read on CC that the Promenade deck on the Regal was not going to be opened up any further and that it would be similar to the Royal's. You mentioned "additional information". Has this changed?

Additional information stated the Promenade deck is fully accessible on each side to allow for long strolls to enjoy the sea breezes.

Cal Cruisers post just said it was accessible on each side, not necessarily that you could walk completely around the ship on the outside Promenade deck. I'll know for sure in 23 days and will let you know...

A friend sent me this. Might be a decent pool after all.

Regal+Princess+Terrace+Pool.jpg

THANKS Brian!!!

One point this picture shows, and that we sort of knew would happen, is that the entire pool area, the actual little dipping pool and surrounding wet area, are all completely raised above deck (as much as four feet?) and none of it is below deck level.

The additional seating arrangements under the Deck 18 track extension look like the ones currently on Royal Princess away from the plunge pool and in the shade. Those are very nice.

I also noticed two staircases leading down to the Deck 16 Horizon Terrace that aren't on Royal Princess. This may ease some of the traffic going through the Fitness Center to access this new pool area.

Additional information stated the Promenade deck is fully accessible on each side to allow for long strolls to enjoy the sea breezes
Cal Cruisers post just said it was accessible on each side, not necessarily that you could walk completely around the ship on the outside Promenade deck. I'll know for sure in 23 days and will let you know...
The additional information is from the same source that sent me the rendering/photo of the Terrace Pool. It really just confirmed information posted on CC that the Promenade deck would be opened up under the lifeboats, but there would be no access from one side to the other. On the Royal, passengers are not allowed on the sections of the Promenade deck under the lifeboats and this is the change on the Regal.

I think the confusing part is that we had had a report also saying that the opening up of the areas behind the lifeboats was not going to happen. Looking forward to your reports and Live (?) thread. ;)

The pool area looks nice and appears to make that area much prettier than on the Royal.

Unfortunately, it looks like we'll have to wait until Jan. 2016 for Royal Princess to get some of these 'upgrades' Regal Princess has received.

The language on PRINCESS.COM is misleading.

A 41 Square Foot = SF balcony is not SPACIOUS by comparison of industry standards.

This equates to 12' wide X 3.2' deep!

The square footage on cabin interior is above average from Mini Suite down to Balcony (Obstructed)

I copied & pasted the cabin/balcony SF direct from PRINCESS.com[/color][/b]

Mini-Suite with Balcony

The luxurious Mini-Suite offers approximately 299 square feet of comfort and an additional, separate seating area with a sofa bed for lounging or sleeping a third passenger. The spacious :eek: balcony is approximately 41 square feet

Mini-Suite with Balcony

The luxurious Mini-Suite offers approximately 299 square feet of comfort and an additional, separate seating area with a sofa bed for lounging or sleeping a third passenger. The spacious balcony is approximately 41 square feet and the bathroom offers a combination tub and shower.

Premium Deluxe Balcony

Larger than our Standard Balcony staterooms, Premium Deluxe Balcony cabins provide approximately 233 square feet of comfort, and an approximately 41 square foot balcony and includes all the same features of the Balcony stateroom, plus an additional sofa bed for lounging or sleeping a third passenger.

Deluxe Balcony (Obstructed)

The Obstructed View Deluxe Balcony cabin provides approximately 233 square feet of comfort, and includes all the same features of the Balcony stateroom, but have a partially or fully obstructed view from the approximately 41 square foot balcony. It features a sofa bed for relaxing or accommodating a 3rd passenger.

Balcony

The spacious approximately 222 square foot Balcony stateroom is appointed with fine amenities and outstanding views from an approximately 41 square foot private balcony.

Balcony (Obstructed)

Obstructed View Balcony staterooms are approximately 222 square feet and feature all the comforts and amenities of the Balcony cabins, but have a partially or fully obstructed view from the approximately 41 square foot balcony and the bathroom offers a combination tub and shower.

Premium Deluxe Balcony

Larger than our Standard Balcony staterooms, Premium Deluxe Balcony cabins provide approximately 233 square feet of comfort, and an approximately 41 square foot balcony and includes all the same features of the Balcony stateroom, plus an additional sofa bed for lounging or sleeping a third passenger.

Deluxe Balcony (Obstructed)

The Obstructed View Deluxe Balcony cabin provides approximately 233 square feet of comfort, and includes all the same features of the Balcony stateroom, but have a partially or fully obstructed view from the approximately 41 square foot balcony. It features a sofa bed for relaxing or accommodating a 3rd passenger.

Balcony

The spacious approximately 222 square foot Balcony stateroom is appointed with fine amenities and outstanding views from an approximately 41 square foot private balcony.

Balcony (Obstructed)

Obstructed View Balcony staterooms are approximately 222 square feet and feature all the comforts and amenities of the Balcony cabins, but have a partially or fully obstructed view from the approximately 41 square foot balcony

Edited by coolplex

People complained about issues on the Royal and Princess listened. Now the people are still complaining that the pool is too small, the promenade deck, while improved, still doesn't connect. They are still complaining about no center stairs and the size of the balconies. What else people? It is very hard to change major issues after a ship is nearly completed. If these issues are of major concern, then find another ship!

Unfortunately, it looks like we'll have to wait until Jan. 2016 for Royal Princess to get some of these 'upgrades' Regal Princess has received.

Well, at least Princess is planning to make these changes to the Royal.

This rear pool area looks nice with lounge chairs in both sun and shade, and wicker seating under cover. I expect it will be very popular and difficult to get a seat.

Regarding Coolplex's posting, excluding full suites, most balconies on the Royal and Regal are 9'x4'+ which equates to just about 41 Sq. Ft. A small percentage are larger by not being rectangular in shape. Balconies on Grand Class ships are normally 9'x5', 9'x7' or 9'x9' depending on location. Again some are different.

Ethel5, I don't think anyone is actually complaining about the Regal's pool. They are just comments about the pool and are happy to see the improvement. However, what people did comment about when the Royal came out was Princess' misunderstanding of the design features that are important to many Princess Customers, and how Princess executives could have missed these issues in the design phase is puzzling to many, including me.

people complained about issues on the royal and princess listened. Now the people are still complaining that the pool is too small, the promenade deck, while improved, still doesn't connect. They are still complaining about no center stairs and the size of the balconies. What else people? It is very hard to change major issues after a ship is nearly completed. If these issues are of major concern, then find another ship!

amen!!:d